PDA

View Full Version : Emmitt Smith Plays The Fool On The Vick Mess

Atlanta Dan
07-23-2007, 07:28 AM
If anyone else heard Emmitt Smith's comments on the Vick mess, you might be interested in reading Peter King's response.

"He's the biggest fish in the whole doggone pond right now, so they're putting the squeeze on him [Vick] to get to everyone else. Now, granted he might have been to a dogfight a time or two, maybe five times, maybe 20 times, may have bet some money, but he's not the one you're after. He's just the one who's going to take the fall -- publicly.''
-- All-time NFL rushing leader Emmitt Smith, speaking Saturday at his enshrinement in the College Football Hall of Fame.

An outraged King responds as follows

Two issues here.

1. Nice to see Emmitt knows so much about the federal government's case. Didn't anyone ever tell him, "When there's an important issue out there, give an educated opinion if you have a good idea what you're talking about. If you're not sure what you're talking about, the only thing you can do by opening your mouth is look like you're 11 years old.''

2. It sounds very much like Smith empathizes with Vick's plight and doesn't find it very objectionable that Vick might have put a few bucks down on dogfights. Is he serious? Is there anything justifiable about Vick going to a single dogfight, or gambling a dime on a dogfight? Should the feds, once they had evidence from four corroborating witnesses that placed Vick in the middle of one dogfight after another, have ignored the evidence and not gone after him?

I have a bad feeling about Smith's tenure at ESPN, and it hasn't even started. His comments on Vick are so idiotic and inappropriate that a few people at the Worldwide Leader have to be thinking, "Uh-oh. What if we've gone and hired someone who's very famous but not very smart?''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/07/22/vick/2.html

There are some tough issues to be sorted out regarding the right of an employer to suspend an employee who is a member of a collective bargaining unit when that employee is charged (not convicted) of having committed heinous crimes. Obviously too tough to be the subject of an intelligent comment by the all time leading NFL rusher.

By these comments Emmitt confirms the stereotype that many pro athletes would be getting points in a battle of wits with a box of rocks.

HometownGal
07-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Ughhhhhh. :dang::dang: Maybe he should just stick to moving his feet on Dancing With the Stars. Moving his lips sure isn't his strong suit.

Indy_Steelers
07-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Betting on dog fights is still a federal offense

Jman
07-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Betting on dog fights is still a federal offense

Yes it is.

fansince'76
07-23-2007, 09:04 AM
One would think that with all the backlash Clinton Portis got for essentially saying the same thing, Smith would have chosen his words a bit more wisely. :dang:

rbryan
07-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Further proof that being a good football player doesn't mean you are going to be good at anything else. ES came across to me as a boorish ex jock who can't talk enough about himself prior to this incident.

Atlanta Dan
07-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Further proof that being a good football player doesn't mean you are going to be good at anything else. ES came across to me as a borish ex jock who can't talk enough about himself prior to this incident.

Sounds to me like Peter King may have had some less than wonderful dealings with Emmitt in the past - you do not call out someone like that if you believe they are good folks.

memphissteelergirl
07-23-2007, 10:32 AM
Sounds to me like Peter King may have had some less than wonderful dealings with Emmitt in the past - you do not call out someone like that if you believe they are good folks.

Interesting point...but nevertheless Emmitt still put his foot in his mouth. :footinmou

The Duke
07-23-2007, 10:51 AM
I would expect wiser words from someone like Emmitt smith, oh well...

RoethlisBURGHer
07-23-2007, 12:21 PM
What do you expect?He went to Florida and then played for the Cowboys.

Preacher
07-23-2007, 01:09 PM
What do you expect?He went to Florida and then played for the Cowboys.

From Emmit? Quite a bit more...

How disappointing.

Livinginthe past
07-23-2007, 01:14 PM
One of the more bizarre phenomenon's in the NFL is the apparent unswerving loyalty between players on different teams and even different era's.

Rarely do players speak out against others - I think Jason Taylor's loudly voiced opinion on Shawne Merriman was one of the few times I have seen it.

Im afraid Emmit comments did betray a childs understanding of the situation - Vick is black and famous therefore its automatically some type of witch hunt.

tony hipchest
07-23-2007, 01:18 PM
with emmitt smith landing the espn job, he should be the national spokesman for the proliferation of ebonics. hes gotten alot better and probably has hired a speach coach through the years, but i used to absolutely cringe early in his career everytime he stepped behind a mike or in front of a camera for an interview.

MACH1
07-23-2007, 02:12 PM
with emmitt smith landing the espn job, he should be the national spokesman for the proliferation of ebonics. hes gotten alot better and probably has hired a speach coach through the years, but i used to absolutely cringe early in his career everytime he stepped behind a mike or in front of a camera for an interview.

I still do.

He's just another version of irvin. imo

fansince'76
07-23-2007, 02:19 PM
He's just another version of irvin. imo

What? Emmitt's a pimp now, too?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/A_Pimp_Named_Slickback.jpg

Atlanta Dan
07-23-2007, 02:33 PM
One of the more bizarre phenomenon's in the NFL is the apparent unswerving loyalty between players on different teams and even different era's.

Rarely do players speak out against others - I think Jason Taylor's loudly voiced opinion on Shawne Merriman was one of the few times I have seen it.

Im afraid Emmit comments did betray a childs understanding of the situation - Vick is black and famous therefore its automatically some type of witch hunt.

It also indicates to me that these guys do not understand how high profile they are. For Emmitt to believe Vick is "not the one" the prosecutors are after is clueless. The idea Vick gets a 5K reduction in sentence to probation if he gives up someone else is ludicrous - Vick is the big trophy in this case.

MACH1
07-23-2007, 02:33 PM
:sofunny: Not sure about a pimp.

http://z.about.com/d/realitytv/1/7/G/z/emmitt11.jpg

tony hipchest
07-23-2007, 02:48 PM
The idea Vick gets a 5K reduction in sentence to probation if he gives up someone else is ludicrous - Vick is the big trophy in this case.smith is probably dull enough to think theyre going after the illegal dog importers, who smuggle them from mexico (not ron mexico, of course) in tractor trailers.

Livinginthe past
07-23-2007, 04:03 PM
It also indicates to me that these guys do not understand how high profile they are. For Emmitt to believe Vick is "not the one" the prosecutors are after is clueless. The idea Vick gets a 5K reduction in sentence to probation if he gives up someone else is ludicrous - Vick is the big trophy in this case.

I would be even more amazed if footballers (and ex-footballers) weren't aware of the impact their comments/interviews have on the general American public - you'd think a guys agent would be advising him before doing some form of media work.

As you say, bringing Vick down will have a real trickle down effect to those who still think dog-fighting is acceptable - he is the trophy.

Edman
07-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Looks like the Dallas Cowboy stupidity still resides in Emmitt's brain after all these years. It's too bad. Believe it or not, he's one of the few Ex-Cowboys I do not hate entirely like Irvin.

GBMelBlount
07-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Ughhhhhh. :dang::dang: Maybe he should just stick to moving his feet on Dancing With the Stars. Moving his lips sure isn't his strong suit.

Run Forrest Run!

ben2hines=6
07-25-2007, 06:52 PM
seems like all the dumbshits born and raised in the south dont see vick at fault here

X-Terminator
07-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Somebody really needs to tell these guys that "no comment" isn't a bad answer :dang:

steelpride12
07-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Ya Emmit i love u to death but please shut up ha!

Virginia Steeler
07-26-2007, 09:02 AM
seems like all the dumbshits born and raised in the south dont see vick at fault here

If you don't think Vick is a bad guy it isn't because you're from the South. I've met plenty of idiots up North.

memphissteelergirl
07-26-2007, 10:55 AM

Uh, are you saying that being from the South automatically makes you a dumbshit?

For the record, I think Vick has a lot of fault here, and I was born and raised in the South...and damn proud of it!! :bat:

prodrivewrx2nv
07-26-2007, 03:21 PM
You learn to expect it from a Cowboy....

hmmmmmmmm
07-27-2007, 02:49 PM
What greatness? Being a winner?

Anyways, I don't think Emmitt should have even opened his mouth on the situation. Seems like he didn't know details and just spouted off with some B.S.

ChronoCross
07-27-2007, 03:14 PM
A lot of people making comments on this should of left it alone like Smith and Deon.

And pointing the fingers to the north are south is kinda of a stupid comment on anyone's part. People down south and up north all are pointing the fingers at vick and what has yet to be proven but seem to think he has done what has been said. Personally his NFL career is over for what he has done. He is guilty.. :P.. and OJ did it.

ben2hines=6
07-27-2007, 07:39 PM
no all i wasnt refering to people in the south being stupid, i was refering to the two as in portis and smith who were raised in the south and see nothing wrong with what vick has done.....sorry for any misunderstandings