PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu/Steelers Agree to Contract

83-Steelers-43
07-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Steelers, Polamalu agree to 5-year contract extension
Monday, July 23, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

(Published: 3:40 p.m., updated 3:51 p.m.)

The Steelers agreed to a contract extension today with safety Troy Polamalu, assuring one of their best players will remain in Pittsburgh for a while longer.

Polamalu signed a five-year contract worth $33 million, making him the highest-paid Steeler and highest-paid safety in the NFL. He will receive bonuses -- including signing and roster -- of $15,375,000.

Polamalu, who has made every Pro Bowl since he became the Steelers starting strong safety in 2004, had one year left on the contract he signed as a rookie in 2003.

At 5-10, 207 pounds, Polamalu plays a unique brand of safety, lining up in various positions on defense. Coordinator Dick LeBeau has designed many of his defenses to take advantage of Polamalu's ability.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07204/803807-66.stm

fansince'76
07-23-2007, 02:47 PM
YES!!!! :cheer: :jammin: :chicken: :banana: :banana: :chicken: :jammin: :cheer:

HometownGal
07-23-2007, 02:51 PM
WOO HOO!!!! Troy's signing just made my day! :tt02::banana: Thanks for posting the story 83.

Hark! What is that I hear in the distance? It sounds like a baby crying. Oh wait - it's Alan Faneca. :flap::wink02:

83-Steelers-43
07-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Damn those Rooney's are cheap......:rolleyes:

tony hipchest
07-23-2007, 02:52 PM
highest paid steeler? :jawdrop:

more than hines? :jawdrop:

more than a lineman? :jawdrop:

i guess that proves exactly what they think of him. no hometown discount though? :dang:

oh well, hes worth it and in 5 years he will probably only be the 15-20th highest paid safety while he is still playing at a level in ronnie lotts substratosphere. kinda like when faneca was the highest paid guard.

so how long before ed reed and sean taylor announce they will hold out. good luck to the pats getting their THa U safety signed. hell probably hold out for troy money too.

Preacher
07-23-2007, 02:52 PM
I love the fact we signed him. I love the fact that he will be a Steeler for a LONG time....

i just hope we don't hamper our ability in the future to keep players by signing the big contract now.

However... I still trust the Rooneys!

And if I were to give the big contract to ANY of our players.. it would be Troy. Plays big, shuts his mouth, great guy. Yeah, I can understand it.

fansince'76
07-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Looks like the P-G just updated the story with the terms:

Polamalu signed a five-year contract worth $33 million, making him the highest-paid Steeler and highest-paid safety in the NFL. He will receive bonuses -- including signing and roster -- of $15,375,000.

HometownGal
07-23-2007, 02:56 PM

Well deserved, imo. :thumbsup: Thanks, Gary.

The Duke
07-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Finally!!

Preacher
07-23-2007, 02:58 PM

Think about this one...

5 years of Troy and Anthony busting up Wr's coming down the sides.

KABOOM

MACH1
07-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Me so happy. :cheers:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/bcrab/imsohappy.gif

Black@Gold Forever32
I'm going streaking....I said if Troy signed this early then I would go streaking......I'm stripping as I'm typing this.......I'll be back in a few minutes after I get back from running around my block....lol

memphissteelergirl
May I suggest an emoticon that says "WHEW!" (Relief) :sofunny:

But I think these will do also...

:banana::bouncy::cheer::chicken::jammin::dancing:: thmbup::danceshout::jumper:

fansince'76
07-23-2007, 03:01 PM
May I suggest an emoticon that says "WHEW!" (Relief)

http://www.kionic.com/forums/images/smilies/whew.gif http://www.kionic.com/forums/images/smilies/whew.gif

83-Steelers-43
07-23-2007, 03:02 PM

LOL, that's great. I want a shirt like that. :toofunny:

ChronoCross
07-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Were all set.. Let the tough camps run there course and a run begin. Just maybe we make such a run that others remember us by yet again. Nothing but positive and positive has come out of this summer. Well excuse faneca for not taken 4 mil less, but he will play strong. We will survive and destroy the AFC North yet again.

fansince'76
07-23-2007, 03:15 PM
I neglected to say this earlier in my excitement, but props to the F.O. for getting all these deals done. :cheers:

atrus20
07-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Excellent news! All the rookies and the important players are signed. Are you ready for some football?!

Avoid LLoyd1975
07-23-2007, 03:16 PM
I was never stressing over this, Troy is here to stay for the long haul. I just couldn't imagine him being on a different team.

The Duke
07-23-2007, 03:17 PM
I can't wait to see if Faneca has something to say

HometownGal
07-23-2007, 03:21 PM

ROFL!!!!:toofunny: Holy moly - little dude (or dudette) has more chins than a Chinese telephone book. :jawdrop:

memphissteelergirl
07-23-2007, 03:27 PM
ROFL!!!!:toofunny: Holy moly - little dude (or dudette) has more chins than a Chinese telephone book. :jawdrop:

Not exactly PC, but still funny! :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
07-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Not exactly PC, but still funny! :sofunny:

Not true if PC hapens to stand for pretty chunky.

memphissteelergirl
07-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Not true if PC hapens to stand for pretty chunky.

LOL True dat!

Livinginthe past
07-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Well, good job Steelers FO - they've been moving at real pace the last couple of days getting all the loose ends tied up.

It doesn't surprise me that Troy is the best paid safety in the game - every year that passes gives teams extra salary cap - its natural that the players will get bigger contracts.

Ya got a good 'un there (like you need telling ...right?) :wink02:

rog
07-23-2007, 03:45 PM
contract - 33 million dollars

signing bonus 15 million dollars

seeing troy take out carson palmer while running back another pick for a touchdown PRICELESS

GO STEELERS

RoethlisBURGHer
07-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Well,this news certainly brightens my day.

touchdownward
07-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Great news! I was afraid we were going to pull a Rod Woodson on him.

Dynasty
07-23-2007, 04:13 PM
MAn oh man... this is awesome news!!! Troy deserves a huge contract as much as anyone in the NFL, and it's great that he got it!

:beerbang::beerbang::cash:cash:deal::deal::tt02::t t02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::hug:

SteelCityMan786
07-23-2007, 04:15 PM
ALRIGHT! Good Job with the contract. Let Training Camp Begin!

jjpro11
07-23-2007, 04:20 PM
great! you cant let a guy who is redefining his position get away.

83-Steelers-43
07-23-2007, 04:23 PM
So is it five or four??? :huh::hunch:

Steelers Sign Safety Troy Polamalu To Four-Year Extension

LATROBE, Pa. ? The Steelers announced they have signed veteran safety Troy Polamalu to a four-year contract extension. Financial terms of the deal, which keeps him with the team through 2011, were not disclosed.

Polamalu (5-10, 207), who is widely considered the NFL's premiere strong safety, has been named to the past three Pro Bowls, including two straight starts, and was a first-team All-Pro selection in 2005 and second-team All-Pro honoree in 2004.

"Troy Polamalu is a very special football player who has been a key ingredient to our success over the past few seasons," said Steelers President Art Rooney II. "We are excited to know he will be a Steeler for many seasons to come."

Despite battling shoulder and knee injuries for much of 2006, Polamalu finished third on the team last season with 82 tackles after posting a career-best 100 tackles during the 2005 campaign. The Steelers first-round draft pick (16th overall) in the 2003 NFL Draft, Polamalu received the Joe Greene Award, following his rookie season for being the team's top rookie.

For his career, Polamalu has 308 tackles (231 solo), 10 sacks and 10 interceptions.

http://news.steelers.com/article/78443/

tony hipchest
07-23-2007, 04:28 PM
So is it five or four??? :huh::hunch:

]he will play out his final year of the rookie contract at the same salary cap number (but he will have his 15 mil bonus in the bank). after that is when he will get the remaining18 million over the course of 4 years. he will play through 2011. its not really a case where he ripped up his current deal and got a new 5 year deal even though we now got him locked up for the next 5.

so its really a 4 year deal. when you hear 4 yrs 33 mil it sounds way to high but he is actually getting a payraise this season without the cap hit.

this is really a fair deal on the rooneys part. it basically gives him an average of about 6.5 mil/ season for the next 5 years which even accounts for the inflation that has taken place since ed reed signed his new deal. very fair of the rooneys. troy probably woulda signed for a little less.

Crushzilla
07-23-2007, 04:32 PM
But wait...

Wait...

Really? Is all this money appropriate for the sixth best safety in football?

:wink02:

The Duke
07-23-2007, 04:36 PM
he will play out his final year of the rookie contract at the same salary cap number (but he will have his 15 mil bonus in the bank). after that is when he will get the remaining18 million over the course of 4 years. he will play through 2011. its not really a case where he ripped up his current deal and got a new 5 year deal even though we now got him locked up for the next 5.

so its really a 4 year deal. when you hear 4 yrs 33 mil it sounds way to high but he is actually getting a payraise this season without the cap hit.

this is really a fair deal on the rooneys part. it basically gives him an average of about 6.5 mil/ season for the next 5 years which even accounts for the inflation that has taken place since ed reed signed his new deal. very fair of the rooneys. troy probably woulda signed for a little less.

Sounds perfect :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
07-23-2007, 04:37 PM
But wait...

Wait...

Really? Is all this money appropriate for the sixth best safety in football?

:wink02:it depends. are the 9th best owners in football (who are rumored to be cheap) capable of even getting a deal like this done, along with all 8 rookies, a week before all other teams even report to camp?

sb champ colts update: no picks signed.

Crushzilla
07-23-2007, 04:42 PM
sb champ colts update: no picks signed.

Not to mention letting half the team walk in FA.

Atlanta Dan
07-23-2007, 04:44 PM
I can't wait to see if Faneca has something to say

Remember the scene in Animal House where Bluto tells Flounder "my advice to you is to start drinking heavily?"

At this point that is about all you can say to Faneca, who probably is in his room with the curtains drawn, lights out, and draining a Heineken 24 pack after hearing about Troy's deal.

Livinginthe past
07-23-2007, 04:47 PM
I dunno - I think Faneca will get his money - he'll just have to ride the injury roller coaster this year and hope he comes' out the other end in one piece before a middle-to-lower tier team gives him the money he craves.

I think the Steelers have realsied they had too much money tied up in their O-line - with retirements and the definite loss of Faneca that is looking to change - the new emphasis will be on impact skills players such as Ben and Troy.

My honest guess is that Hines (due to age) will be out of luck at contract time, too - unless he takes the (fans favorite) hometown discount.

tony hipchest
07-23-2007, 04:54 PM
"my advice to you is to start drinking heavily?"
:sofunny:

My honest guess is that Hines (due to age) will be out of luck at contract time, too - unless he takes the (fans favorite) hometown discount.contract time for hines may be too far off in the future. it could come as soon as next year. he definitely isnt despensible and i honestly believe he could be as productive as keyshawn johnson was last year 5-6 years into the future, while possibly cementing a hall of fame career. however if he were cut by the steelers after this season, there arent many teams who will give him what his cap hit is (8mil/year and going up).

cavscout
07-23-2007, 05:00 PM
HInes will be forced to restructure his deal with a little extra extension if he wants it. The focus is now going to fall on Ben for next season followed by H Smith and S Holmes. Troy is a true Steeler through and through he wil become the leader of our defense and co leader of the team along with Ben. Great day now lets get down to business of kicking the crap out of the ravens this season.

GutterflowerSteel
07-23-2007, 05:05 PM
:bouncy: I just heard the news - WHOOO!!! :tt02:

83-Steelers-43
07-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Polamalu's deal seems to be richest per year, but is definitely not the biggest overall. Context, fwiw.

Scouts Inc via Google

Jul 1, 2006

This week, the Ravens reached a contract extension with Ed Reed, making him the highest paid safety in the NFL. Reed signed a seven-year deal worth $40 million, which includes $13 million in bonuses in the first year of the contract...

....more than Washington Redskins safety Adam Archuleta, who became the highest paid at the position in March when he signed a six-year, $30 million contract

Reed's deal was heavily back loaded, with 14-16 million in salary due the last two seasons; heavily front loaded too, as to bonus money.

SteelerFanInCA
07-23-2007, 05:10 PM
That's awesome news. Glad to see Troy will be around here longer.

Atlanta Dan
07-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Not to mention letting half the team walk in FA.

And their starting 31 y/o offensive tackle decides to "retire" with 1 year to go on his contract.

I sympathize with the Colts only because the Steelers post-SB offseason last year was such a train wreck.

stillers4me
07-23-2007, 05:17 PM
For his career, Polamalu has 308 tackles (231 solo), 10 sacks and 10 interceptions.

That should read 11 interceptions........but whatever...........!!! :wink02:

Thank you, Art and Dan Rooney!!! You have made the Steeler Nation very happy today!! :party:

Steelerstrength
07-23-2007, 05:19 PM
So glad that this one has cleared the way for pure focus! Just WIN!

tony hipchest
07-23-2007, 05:23 PM
Polamalu's deal seems to be richest per year, but is definitely not the biggest overall. Context, fwiw.

Reed's deal was heavily back loaded, with 14-16 million in salary due the last two seasons; heavily front loaded too, as to bonus money.i cant remember when reed was drafted but did the ravens wait to extend him til the final year of his contract? i wouldve like to have troy locked up for another 1-3 years. however, after 2011 he will be able to go join the patriots (or whoever) for the rodney harrison portion of his career, when he reaches that age the steelers no longer like to give big deals. it works for both sides (pessimistically speaking of course).

the bottom could fall out of this current salary cap market by then. this is a fair deal where nos side is the loser. ed reeds contract will be a distraction for fellow ravens who feel they are more important than reed.

83-Steelers-43
07-23-2007, 05:24 PM
LOL, Troy was just interviewed on KDKA news.....

"The Rooney's are very fair"......"They are legends"

I wonder what Faneca will think when he listens to that? I'm already reading complaints that we overpaid for Troy's services, I only have one thing to say to that........Len Davis.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-23-2007, 05:27 PM
ed reeds contract will be a distraction for fellow ravens who feel they are more important than reed.

That will start at the end of a 5-11 season for Baltimore this year.

stillers4me
07-23-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm so glad Troy is all mine mine...........errrrrr........I mean ours!!!
(And my jersey is good for at least 4 more years!!)

Polamalu got what he wanted
Monday, July 23, 2007
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

POLAMALU PRESS RELEASE

LATROBE, Pa. – The way Troy Polamalu sees it, he got everything he wanted.

When it came to the negotiations that resulted in the contract extension that now binds him to the Steelers through the 2011 season, Polamalu had some specific objectives. Since all of those were met in his mind, he signed the deal that reportedly will pay him $33 million over the next five years, with $15 million of that coming in signing and roster bonuses.

"First and foremost, what mattered to me was that it was a fair contract," said Polamalu. "A lot of people are making a lot of money out there, so I wanted it to be very fair, and I wanted it to be here. Those were the most important things. I have no control over what other people make."

Control or not, this contract makes Polamalu the highest-paid safety in the NFL; what Polamalu said he can control is how he reacts to it as a player.

"(This new contract) means I have to work harder to go out and earn it," said Polamalu. "You have to earn the money. It's not for what I did in the past, but it's for what I have to go out and earn now. Go out and play hard, that's all I can do as an individual."

About a year or so after the Steelers traded up in the first round of the 2003 NFL Draft to select Polamalu, there were some whispers that he desperately wanted to return to the West Coast, where he was raised and where he attended college at USC.

"Oh, no. Never," said Polamalu when asked if that was true. "What I really wanted was the West Coast weather to come here. That was all I wanted.

"It's very exciting for my wife and I. We feel very welcome in this city, and I think this contract really puts our roots down here.

This is home. I didn't want to be a player who was jumping from team to team. I've always felt comfortable here. This organization and the tradition it has is legendary and I always wanted to be a part of it."

Polamalu has been an All-Pro in each of the last two seasons, which means he's been voted one of the two best safeties in the NFL. He has played in three Pro Bowls over four seasons, including two straight starts.

"I was very happy to get this done," said Polamalu. "The Rooneys were very fair, and I think both sides were very happy to get it done peacefully, without any uncertainty."

Despite battling shoulder and knee injuries for much of 2006, Polamalu finished third on the team last season with 82 tackles after posting a career-best 100 tackles during 2005. The Steelers first-round draft pick (16th overall) in the 2003 NFL Draft, Polamalu received the Joe Greene Award following his rookie season for being the team's top rookie.

"Troy Polamalu is a very special football player who has been a key ingredient to our success over the past few seasons," said Steelers President Art Rooney II. "We are excited to know he will be with the Steelers for many seasons to come."

tony hipchest
07-23-2007, 05:38 PM
LOL, Troy was just interviewed on KDKA news.....

"The Rooney's are very fair"......"They are legends"

I wonder what Faneca will think when he listens to that? I'm already reading complaints that we overpaid for Troy's services, I only have one thing to say to that........Len Davis.those bitching about troys contract, simply dont understand the current market.

i relayed a story i hear about a month ago where the rams coaching staff and personnel people wanted to draft troy polamalu. the business people told them you dont spend a pick that high or that type of money on a safety. the football people were pretty much forced to go with a warren sapp wannabe who is pretty much a bust (kennedy?).

since then you dee m. huff, l. landry, s. taylor, and whats his name from the bills going in the top 10 of the draft.

once again the steelers prove to be ahead of the curve. people thought the vikings were crazy for "overpaying" for hutchinson and now it looks like they got one hell of a bargain when the current market is taken into account.

safety is a rising position in the nfl, just like guard was 2 years ago.

"the rooneys are fair" could be the understatement of the year. not only is troy being pait for what is a good guess of what his future production will be, he is also being rewarded for years past and not bitching and moaning when he was a top safety playing on a rookie contract.

83-Steelers-43
07-23-2007, 05:39 PM
"The Rooneys were very fair, and I think both sides were very happy to get it done peacefully, without any uncertainty."

LOL, I love it.

Where is his legendary comment in the article? Awww man. Come on Bob, get with it.

Elvis
07-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Just happy to see all of our draft picks signed and ready to join camp tomorow, man... this time of year really gets me going.....
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

83-Steelers-43
07-23-2007, 05:46 PM
i cant remember when reed was drafted but did the ravens wait to extend him til the final year of his contract?

I'm almost 100% sure the Ravens wrapped him up mid-contract (meaning he would have been a FA this year). I also think he did a 5 year keeping him in Baltimore through like 2010 or 11.

polamalufan43
07-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Wow..I haven't been here in forever. Sorry for the absence, but with trips and vacations and no computer, well you all get the idea.

Anyway... what a great time to come back. Troy got signed, as well as our draft picks. Personally, I think Troy is going to be here for the rest of his career. Also, it should be interesting to see a new Ed Reed deal when and if it comes about.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Jman
07-23-2007, 05:49 PM
This is outstanding news. Glad to see the whirl of hair on the field in years to come (in B&G that is). Thanks for posting this up.

tony hipchest
07-23-2007, 05:51 PM
"A lot of people are making a lot of money out there, so I wanted it to be very fair":jawdrop:

how dare troy even say this???? i guess his fred flinstone kia wasnt good enough for him. LOL:wink:

Edman
07-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Man, those Rooneys are cheap. 33 Million dollars? It should've been 34 million! J/K.

I'm so glad Troy is locked up. He's our most dangerous safety since the Lake/Woodson Days. If he and Tony Smith can Gel, look out.

Just goes to show you how smart the Rooneys are as businessmen. You don't pay an aging O-Lineman to jeopardize the longevity of your young talented safety who is still in his prime. Sorry. Faneca, but that's just how the Rooneys work. Being here 9 years, you should've known how the Steelers FO does business with their players.

83-Steelers-43
07-23-2007, 06:01 PM
:jawdrop:

how dare troy even say this???? i guess his fred flinstone kia wasnt good enough for him. LOL:wink:

I heard he went with the "luxury" Flinstones ride instead of the Flinstones SRS 300. He already ordered rims and a system for his new ride.......

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/images/flintmobile_ebay.jpg

Guy got greedy. What can ya say?

Livinginthe past
07-23-2007, 06:02 PM
those bitching about troys contract, simply dont understand the current market.

i relayed a story i hear about a month ago where the rams coaching staff and personnel people wanted to draft troy polamalu. the business people told them you dont spend a pick that high or that type of money on a safety. the football people were pretty much forced to go with a warren sapp wannabe who is pretty much a bust (kennedy?).

since then you dee m. huff, l. landry, s. taylor, and whats his name from the bills going in the top 10 of the draft.

once again the steelers prove to be ahead of the curve. people thought the vikings were crazy for "overpaying" for hutchinson and now it looks like they got one hell of a bargain when the current market is taken into account.

safety is a rising position in the nfl, just like guard was 2 years ago.

"the rooneys are fair" could be the understatement of the year. not only is troy being pait for what is a good guess of what his future production will be, he is also being rewarded for years past and not bitching and moaning when he was a top safety playing on a rookie contract.

Thats a nice post - good analysis of the situation, I think.

With the rate the salary cap is increasing year on year, contracts that seem big now won't in a year or two's time - of course there will still be players who will attempt to hold out 2 years into a 5 year deal if their position sees an explosion in investment.

Im pretty confident that Troy wont be one of them.

I think most people equate the value of the job they do with the pay they get for doing it - Troy sees peers (pers who have much less impact) getting big money and he naturally wants some of that action too.

X-Terminator
07-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Well, so much for the "Rooney's are cheap" mantra. Not only did they give Troy $33 million, they cut him a check for $15.3 million ON THE SPOT.

Good job FO for getting this very important contract done, as well as getting everyone in camp on time. And congratulations to Troy - you have definitely earned and deserve every single penny.

tony hipchest
07-23-2007, 06:11 PM
I heard he went with the "luxury" Flinstones ride instead of the Flinstones SRS 300. He already ordered rims and a system for his new ride.......

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/images/flintmobile_ebay.jpg

Guy got greedy. What can ya say?

:toofunny:

Thats a nice post - good analysis of the situation, I think.

With the rate the salary cap is increasing year on year, contracts that seem big now won't in a year or two's time - of course there will still be players who will attempt to hold out 2 years into a 5 year deal if their position sees an explosion in investment.

Im pretty confident that Troy wont be one of them.

thanks. and i agree. troy is happy as a pig in :poop: right now. if he feels slighted 2-3 years from now, he can take solice in the fact that the steelers only put his heels to the fire for a 4 year extension.

on the other hand there may be some grumblings from ed reed once he feels hes "outplayed" his contract. after all hes learning from the "best" (ray lewis).

Stlrs4Life
07-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Excellent news. Hopefully Ben is next.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Wow I really wasnt expecting him to get more money than Ed Reed but he is definitly worth it.

NV STEELERS 723
07-23-2007, 07:07 PM
This makes me very happy! Great Job Rooneys!!!!! Big Ben is next !!!!!!

Preacher
07-23-2007, 07:31 PM
As I have said before, I am ALWAYS leary of putting SO MUCH money into one person. However, if anyone is worth it, it sure is Polamalu.

And also, as I have said before, I trust the Rooneys!

It is true however, the Rooneys know how, and continue to know how to keep the Steelers out of cap trouble.

cornsteeler
07-23-2007, 07:37 PM
This makes me very happy! Great Job Rooneys!!!!! Big Ben is next !!!!!!

YES!!! Props to Polamalu, and I too hope Big Ben is next in line for the big pay day. What is Willie Parker's contract status? Did he get a new deal after 05?

Atlanta Dan
07-23-2007, 07:38 PM
As I have said before, I am ALWAYS leary of putting SO MUCH money into one person. However, if anyone is worth it, it sure is Polamalu. .

The $$ are relative; our grandparents would be astonished at the money we put into cars, houses, and college tuition.

It is a pile of $$ but the cap allows everyone to divvy up their pile as they see fit. I thought Troy was the test once Faneca's negotiation hit the rocks; the message this sends to Ben, Holmes & Heath Miller is that the Rooneys will pay top shelf money for top shelf talent in the early primes of their careers.

As for Hines Ward and other >30 vets, be prepared to renegotiate or move on. Someone has to pay for this..

steelpride12
07-23-2007, 07:47 PM
WOoooo Yes im sooo happy!!

SteelersMongol
07-23-2007, 08:43 PM
I like what Polamalu said. He said " "You have to earn the money," Polamalu said. "It's not for what I did in the past, it's for what I've got to earn now."

How could he earn that?

"Four Super Bowls in a row?" he said, smiling. "Go out and play hard, that's all I could do individually."

YESSSSSSSSSS!

The Duke
07-23-2007, 09:02 PM
I like what Polamalu said. He said " "You have to earn the money," Polamalu said. "It's not for what I did in the past, it's for what I've got to earn now."

How could he earn that?

"Four Super Bowls in a row?" he said, smiling. "Go out and play hard, that's all I could do individually."

YESSSSSSSSSS!

If everyone in the league thought like Polamalu the NFL would be a better place, they all have to earn those big bucks by playing good on the field ( Vick :flap:)

nwksteeler
07-23-2007, 11:26 PM
good signing, we really needed to lick him up.

tony hipchest
07-23-2007, 11:34 PM
good signing, we really needed to lick him up.

thats gross. :flap:

Preacher
07-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Which is why I like Troy so much.

He seems to understand that he has to earn his paychecks... IN THE FUTURE...

Ahem Ahem...

83-Steelers-43
07-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Ron Cook: Timing works out perfectly for Polamalu
Tuesday, July 24, 2007

By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As Hines Ward took a moment yesterday to gladly pass along the ceremonial title of highest-paid Steelers player to Troy Polamalu, he made the afternoon's pertinent point.

"They didn't have any choice but to take care of Troy, did they?"

None.

Life is all about timing, and Polamalu's is extraordinary. He came up for a new contract about the time the Steelers released popular linebacker Joey Porter in a cost-cutting move, let Super Bowl-winning coach Bill Cowher leave after refusing to meet his price and decided, apparently, to part ways with six-time Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca after this season. Players openly have questioned the Rooneys' strategy. Even Polamalu mentioned at the May minicamp being "a little unsure about the direction of the team."

"They have to keep somebody," Ward said yesterday.

Polamalu is the guy. The Steelers made him the NFL's highest-paid safety, giving him a five-year, $33 million contract, including $15,375,000 in signing and roster bonuses.

You have to go back to the Pirates' Jason Kendall to find a Pittsburgh athlete for whom the stars aligned so perfectly. Kendall was due for a new contract after the 2000 season as the Pirates prepared to move into PNC Park and promised everybody the beautiful new ballpark would enable them to keep their top players and become competitive. Like Polamalu, Kendall was a huge fan favorite because of his all-out style. He signed a six-year, $60 million extension.

That deal still haunts the Pirates.

It's nice to think the Polamalu contract will have a happier ending.

Kendall was a singles hitter who never could justify the silly money. Polamalu hits home runs. It might be an interception or a sack or a big stop on a third-down running play. The man is a physical freak, able to run like a cornerback and hit like a linebacker. There can't be a player in the league with better closing speed.

The only worry about Polamalu is the ferocious way he plays. He seems like a serious injury waiting to happen, the way he throws his body around. Last season, he was troubled by a bad shoulder, left a game with a concussion and missed three others with a knee injury.

The new contract isn't going to change Polamalu's approach. If anything, it will make him play harder. "You've got to earn the money," he said. "You can't go out there worrying about getting hurt."

Clearly, the Steelers are willing to take their chances.

They're betting $33 million on the man.

"He's awesome," new coach Mike Tomlin gushed.

"He's our playmaker, our star," linebacker Larry Foote has said.

"One of those few guys in the league who's special," teammate Aaron Smith said.

Polamalu is the type of player the Steelers have shown a willingness to reward despite lingering complaints that go back to the 1960s that they are cheap. In the past two years, they've given big money to Ward, Smith, Casey Hampton, Ike Taylor and Willie Parker, among others. Certainly, they will take care of Ben Roethlisberger after this season. He'll surpass Polamalu as highest paid, unless he goes out and throws 23 balls to the wrong team again.

But, sadly, under the NFL salary cap, a team can't keep everybody. Faneca and the Steelers seem to have agreed to a divorce. It has happened here before with great players, obviously, not just with Porter, but with Rod Woodson, Mike Webster, Mike Merriweather and Franco Harris.

"I feel for Alan," Polamalu said. "It's a shame."

It's business, actually.

It's fair to think that Polamalu, more thoughtful than most, has wondered why him and not Faneca. The obvious reason is age; he's 26, Faneca 30. Beyond that, Polamalu made it a priority to stay. Although his deal is phenomenal, he could get more as a free agent after the season.

"I didn't want to be a player who jumps from team to team."

So much for that speculation about Polamalu being a West Coast guy, wanting to finish his career on the West Coast.

"Quite the contrary," he said. "I find myself going to other cities and boasting about Pittsburgh ...

"I wasn't sure about my wife for a while. I thought she might be saying she was happy here just because of me. But as we got started with this contract stuff and we weren't sure how it was going to turn out, I saw something in her that convinced me she'd miss it if we had to leave.

"Pittsburgh has become home for us."

It will be home for at least the next five seasons.

"You know, every instance in my life has been about perfect timing," Polamalu said. "From the system we played in college under coach [Pete] Carroll [at Southern California] to the system we play here under coach [Dick] LeBeau. Even going back to high school, I always had coaches who looked out for me.

"It's truly divine intervention."

It's also Rooney intervention.

The Steelers' owners needed to make a statement to their players and fans.

It came across loud and clear.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07205/803913-87.stm

Preacher
07-24-2007, 01:10 AM
It's fair to think that Polamalu, more thoughtful than most, has wondered why him and not Faneca. The obvious reason is age; he's 26, Faneca 30. Beyond that, Polamalu made it a priority to stay. Although his deal is phenomenal, he could get more as a free agent after the season.

"I didn't want to be a player who jumps from team to team."

So much for that speculation about Polamalu being a West Coast guy, wanting to finish his career on the West Coast.

"Quite the contrary," he said. "I find myself going to other cities and boasting about Pittsburgh ...

"I wasn't sure about my wife for a while. I thought she might be saying she was happy here just because of me. But as we got started with this contract stuff and we weren't sure how it was going to turn out, I saw something in her that convinced me she'd miss it if we had to leave.

"Pittsburgh has become home for us."

It will be home for at least the next five seasons.

And that is why I am glad he got the money.

83-Steelers-43
07-24-2007, 01:17 AM
"It's truly divine intervention."

It's also Rooney intervention.

:toofunny:

Thank you Ron Cook.

tony hipchest
07-24-2007, 01:20 AM
You have to go back to the Pirates' Jason Kendall to find a Pittsburgh athlete for whom the stars aligned so perfectly. Kendall was due for a new contract after the 2000 season as the Pirates prepared to move into PNC Park and promised everybody the beautiful new ballpark would enable them to keep their top players and become competitive. Like Polamalu, Kendall was a huge fan favorite because of his all-out style. He signed a six-year, $60 million extension.

jason kendall needs to be left out of a a steelers discussion altogether. when hines ward was given big bucks, he was called jason kendall. = good player but not a "home run hitter". hines sure hit 2 home runs in the superbowl on way to a free trip to disneyworld.

again. the kendall comparisons didnt work then, dont try to make up for it now.

is there really anyone who gives 2 shits about the losing pirates now anyways since camp has started?

Galax Steeler
07-24-2007, 03:51 AM
I'm ready for some football.Great news on troy lets see him rock palmer this year.

Preacher
07-24-2007, 12:03 PM
So here is what I wonder...

With the Bus gone, with Ward coming to the end of his career, with Porter gone,

Is Troy going to actually become the new face of the Steelers?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-24-2007, 12:08 PM
So here is what I wonder...

With the Bus gone, with Ward coming to the end of his career, with Porter gone,

Is Troy going to actually become the new face of the Steelers?

Yes I think that he will be but Ben and Willie could also give him a run. I definitly see him being the face of the defense unless Timmons or Woodley step up and become huge stars in the NFL.

Preacher
07-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Yes I think that he will be but Ben and Willie could also give him a run. I definitly see him being the face of the defense unless Timmons or Woodley step up and become huge stars in the NFL.

You know,

as much as I respect and appreciate him...

That is quite an ugly face for our team! :wink02:

The Duke
07-24-2007, 12:57 PM
You know,

as much as I respect and appreciate him...

http://steelers.typepad.com/my_weblog/images/polamalu_si.jpg

It's crunch time!!
He may not be the best looking guy on earth, but he could sure beat the crap out of the best looking guy. So it's definitely a good face for a hard hitting steelers team

Preacher
07-24-2007, 01:34 PM
It's crunch time!!
He may not be the best looking guy on earth, but he could sure beat the crap out of the best looking guy. So it's definitely a good face for a hard hitting steelers team

What really freaks me out...

He is our SECOND hardest hitting safety. WOW... I NEVER thought I would say that.

Him and Anthony Smith... together.... What a pair.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-24-2007, 01:53 PM
http://steelers.typepad.com/my_weblog/images/polamalu_si.jpg

It's crunch time!!

Many people consider Leinart the best looking QB in the NFL...guess who we get to face this season.

The Clowns drafted pretty boy Brady Quinn...good chance we'll see him in one of the two games this year.

fansince'76
07-24-2007, 02:29 PM

Still can't beat the "Master":

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Jack-Lambert---Photofile-Photograph-C11837197.jpeg

:tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :chuckle:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-24-2007, 02:33 PM
What really freaks me out...

He is our SECOND hardest hitting safety. WOW... I NEVER thought I would say that.

Him and Anthony Smith... together.... What a pair.

Yeah I cant wait to see Smith put some more hits on recievers like he did against T.J. Hushamazilly.

klick81
07-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Hell yes!!!

Preacher
07-24-2007, 08:23 PM
YOu know...

The more I think about it... The more I think about how nice it would be to see a cover two defense with these guys.

Any ball thrown longer then 15 yards... the receiver will get their head torn off. If we can just get our CB's to play tight (adapt our schemes) for that first 15, and get our LB's to be able to cover and hit anything coming across the middle, and we may end up having to register our Defense as a lethal weapon!!

Galax Steeler
07-25-2007, 03:58 AM
That sound good preacher smith and troy what a duo.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-25-2007, 04:03 AM
With everyone coming down on our secondary play last year....I would LOVE to see the 2005 version of Taylor...McFadden come into his own ....and Troy and Smith headhunting behind them!!!!
Go ahead...underestimate us....please.

The Duke
07-25-2007, 11:06 AM
With everyone coming down on our secondary play last year....I would LOVE to see the 2005 version of Taylor...McFadden come into his own ....and Troy and Smith headhunting behind them!!!!
Go ahead...underestimate us....please.

If all this happens we could seriously have one of the best secondary play in the league. We have great potential, we just need to use it, and that's what Tomlin is gonna do.

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Steelers' Polamalu says lucrative contract won't change him
By The Associated Press
Thursday, July 26, 2007

LATROBE, Pa. — Troy Polamalu celebrated his new $30 million-plus contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers in typical fashion. Long after his teammates abandoned the practice field on the opening day of training camp, he was a solitary figure doing difficult conditioning along a rugged hillside.

A not-so-demanding team run was over, and the hard work wasn't supposed to start until a day later. But on a terrace so steep the average person might have trouble walking a few feet without stumbling, the 2005 All-Pro safety maneuvered himself up and down the incline with ease.

On his way down, his left foot was the anchor that kept him from slipping. On the way back up, his strong right foot powerfully pushed him up the 80-degree grade.

Once he finished, he looked no more winded than if he had walked down the street for a soda.

So much for taking it easy to celebrate signing a huge contract.

Asked if he had any plans for the $33 million he'll make through 2011, with nearly $11 million arriving as a signing bonus, Polamalu said, "Not at all. My wife and I are just going to really live the same lifestyle we've been living."

By NFL standards, it's an exceedingly modest way of life, too. After signing a contract worth $8,275,000 as a first-round rookie in 2003, Polamalu arrived at camp driving a used sport utility vehicle that cost about $12,000 when new — and he kept driving it all season.

Once he got married, he and wife Theodora bought a nice suburban home in Pittsburgh, but hardly the kind associated with a recognizable athlete.

Unlike many NFL players, Polamalu doesn't maintain a second, larger home near his hometown or in a warm-weather community; he prefers to stay in Pittsburgh year-around for training purposes.

Plus, he says he doesn't like traveling and is a stay-at-home person, though he sometimes misses the weather from his days as a player at Southern Cal and growing up in Oregon.

"Oh, no, never," Polamalu said of possibly wanting to go back to the West Coast to play. "What I really wanted is the West Coast weather to come here. This is home."

He's keeping his big-money contract in perspective, too.

"A lot of people are making a lot of money out there, so I wanted it to be very fair and I wanted it to be here," Polamalu said.

Polamalu felt that way in part because salary cap issues forced the Steelers to part with linebacker Joey Porter earlier this year and almost certainly will cause five-time All-Pro guard Alan Faneca to leave after this season.

It's funny, though — for a guy who likes being rooted, Polamalu is anything but on the football field.

Polamalu's versatility and ability to be disruptive while playing multiple positions are among the keys to the Steelers' defense and the primary reasons he's now the highest-paid player in team history.

"A lot of the stuff we do, we do it just for him," linebacker Larry Foote said.

If that means lining up on the weak side of the defense, then bolting across the line of scrimmage to the other side just before the snap to confuse an offense, he'll do it. At 5-foot-10 and 207 pounds, he's fast enough to drop into deep coverage — his closing speed is among the best in the league — yet he's physical enough to take on the run.

The Steelers have a new coach in Mike Tomlin, but defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau stayed on and plans to use Polamalu in all the imaginative ways of seasons gone by. Polamalu has made the Pro Bowl in all three seasons he's been a starter.

The frustration that opposing NFL players sometimes feel when Polamalu makes a game-altering play was clearly illustrated at one point last season, with Pittsburgh en route to a 45-7 rout of Kansas City. Running back Larry Johnson, irritated with having to run down Polamalu on a 49-yard interception return, yanked down Polamalu by the long, black hair that flows from his helmet.

"The dude had hair," Johnson said. "What do you want me to do?"

Polamalu has a lot of game, too, and that's the biggest problem he presents to NFL offenses.

"I think he's fascinating," former Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer said. "He's fun to watch because he looks like he's having so much fun."

Notes: Wednesday's two-hour afternoon practice, the first at camp with spectators, was devoted largely to the passing game and the two-minute drill. Tomlin said, "We wanted to make a statement, put that out there, address the two-minute and understand this is the ultimate parity league and how we perform at crunch time is critical." ... QB Ben Roethlisberger and C Chukky Okobi spent extra time after practice working on snaps. The now-retired Jeff Hartings was the starting center during Roethlisberger's first three seasons. ... The morning practice was spent on special teams so, to fight the boredom, the quarterbacks, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and WRs Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes held a contest throwing footballs into garbage cans.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_519042.html

steelpride12
07-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Steelers' Polamalu says lucrative contract won't change him
By The Associated Press
Thursday, July 26, 2007

LATROBE, Pa. ? Troy Polamalu celebrated his new $30 million-plus contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers in typical fashion. Long after his teammates abandoned the practice field on the opening day of training camp, he was a solitary figure doing difficult conditioning along a rugged hillside.

A not-so-demanding team run was over, and the hard work wasn't supposed to start until a day later. But on a terrace so steep the average person might have trouble walking a few feet without stumbling, the 2005 All-Pro safety maneuvered himself up and down the incline with ease.

On his way down, his left foot was the anchor that kept him from slipping. On the way back up, his strong right foot powerfully pushed him up the 80-degree grade.

Once he finished, he looked no more winded than if he had walked down the street for a soda.

So much for taking it easy to celebrate signing a huge contract.

Asked if he had any plans for the $33 million he'll make through 2011, with nearly $11 million arriving as a signing bonus, Polamalu said, "Not at all. My wife and I are just going to really live the same lifestyle we've been living."

By NFL standards, it's an exceedingly modest way of life, too. After signing a contract worth $8,275,000 as a first-round rookie in 2003, Polamalu arrived at camp driving a used sport utility vehicle that cost about $12,000 when new ? and he kept driving it all season.

Once he got married, he and wife Theodora bought a nice suburban home in Pittsburgh, but hardly the kind associated with a recognizable athlete.

Unlike many NFL players, Polamalu doesn't maintain a second, larger home near his hometown or in a warm-weather community; he prefers to stay in Pittsburgh year-around for training purposes.

Plus, he says he doesn't like traveling and is a stay-at-home person, though he sometimes misses the weather from his days as a player at Southern Cal and growing up in Oregon.

"Oh, no, never," Polamalu said of possibly wanting to go back to the West Coast to play. "What I really wanted is the West Coast weather to come here. This is home."

He's keeping his big-money contract in perspective, too.

"A lot of people are making a lot of money out there, so I wanted it to be very fair and I wanted it to be here," Polamalu said.

Polamalu felt that way in part because salary cap issues forced the Steelers to part with linebacker Joey Porter earlier this year and almost certainly will cause five-time All-Pro guard Alan Faneca to leave after this season.

It's funny, though ? for a guy who likes being rooted, Polamalu is anything but on the football field.

Polamalu's versatility and ability to be disruptive while playing multiple positions are among the keys to the Steelers' defense and the primary reasons he's now the highest-paid player in team history.

"A lot of the stuff we do, we do it just for him," linebacker Larry Foote said.

If that means lining up on the weak side of the defense, then bolting across the line of scrimmage to the other side just before the snap to confuse an offense, he'll do it. At 5-foot-10 and 207 pounds, he's fast enough to drop into deep coverage ? his closing speed is among the best in the league ? yet he's physical enough to take on the run.

The Steelers have a new coach in Mike Tomlin, but defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau stayed on and plans to use Polamalu in all the imaginative ways of seasons gone by. Polamalu has made the Pro Bowl in all three seasons he's been a starter.

The frustration that opposing NFL players sometimes feel when Polamalu makes a game-altering play was clearly illustrated at one point last season, with Pittsburgh en route to a 45-7 rout of Kansas City. Running back Larry Johnson, irritated with having to run down Polamalu on a 49-yard interception return, yanked down Polamalu by the long, black hair that flows from his helmet.

"The dude had hair," Johnson said. "What do you want me to do?"

Polamalu has a lot of game, too, and that's the biggest problem he presents to NFL offenses.

"I think he's fascinating," former Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer said. "He's fun to watch because he looks like he's having so much fun."

Notes: Wednesday's two-hour afternoon practice, the first at camp with spectators, was devoted largely to the passing game and the two-minute drill. Tomlin said, "We wanted to make a statement, put that out there, address the two-minute and understand this is the ultimate parity league and how we perform at crunch time is critical." ... QB Ben Roethlisberger and C Chukky Okobi spent extra time after practice working on snaps. The now-retired Jeff Hartings was the starting center during Roethlisberger's first three seasons. ... The morning practice was spent on special teams so, to fight the boredom, the quarterbacks, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and WRs Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes held a contest throwing footballs into garbage cans.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_519042.html

and it wont change him cuz he is just that great of a player that money is not a big thing for him and he is just gunna impress us like he does every year on the big stage!

Preacher
07-26-2007, 12:39 PM
The Irony is...

Troy's lifestyle will allow him to retire whenever he wants, and probably never work another day in his life.

however, his work ethic will push him to be the best at whatever he decides to do the rest of his life.