PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Ace Conditioning Test

alittlejazzbird
07-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Hmmm, was everyone in such great shape because they heard how tough camp was gonna be???? If so, it's good news, that they all reported in excellent condition. Wonder what's up with Santonio?

By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

LATROBE, Pa. ? So much for St. Vincent College turning into Parris Island.

The first training camp of the Mike Tomlin era began here on Monday, and all of the speculation about how ridiculously difficult it was going to be turned out to be just so much talk. For one day, anyway.

The Steelers reported during the early portion of the day Monday ? everyone was present and on time ? and then Tomlin put the team through its conditioning test. Under Bill Cowher, the conditioning test was 14 40-yard dashes, all under a pre-determined time. Tomlin's version consisted of 16 110-yard runs, all under a pre-determined time.

But Tomlin's version also included a couple of wrinkles. First, any player who attended at least 44 of the 50 voluntary workouts during the offseason was not required to participate; and then after 14 of the 110-yard runs convinced Tomlin that everyone was in top shape, he called off the final two.

"We did 110s. We were scheduled to do 16 of them in required times based on position," said Tomlin. "The guys were doing so well, we cut it at 14. It didn't look like anybody was going to have a tough time making it. It's a testament to their preparation. Hats off to them.

"The guys who didn't participate in the run test were able not to participate because they completed a required number of voluntary workouts as part of our offseason program. We wanted to reward those guys for being in town and being a part of a voluntary program this offseason. Once they got in a certain number of workouts, they did not have to participate in the run-test, because if they were at the facility working out we knew what kind of shape they were in."

There were 36 players who participated in the run test, but afterwards Tomlin admitted that some of those who didn't have to run because they met the offseason workout requirement chose to run anyway.

And if the players were burdened physically by what happened Monday afternoon, they sure weren't showing it.

"This is a good thing," said Troy Polamalu. "It wasn't very challenging. It was a lot different. I don't want to say too many bad things about it, because then they'll change it."

Things could begin to change on Tuesday, when the Steelers will have the first of five straight two-a-day workouts.

"I'd be surprised if anybody was surprised," said Tomlin about what practices would entail. "Camp is camp, and these guys have been going through it since high school, so I don't expect anybody to be surprised by what we do tomorrow."

STEELERS NOTES: Three players ? Verron Haynes, Santonio Holmes and Derek Rehage were placed on the physically unable to perform list. About Holmes, Tomlin said, "Santonio had a minor surgical procedure that is not football related. He's going to be watched for a day or two, but it's a non-issue." Haynes will begin on the PUP list as a precautionary measure related to the knee surgery he had last year, and Rehage had a pin removed from a thumb injury he sustained while playing for NFL Europa.

http://news.steelers.com/article/78473/

The Duke
07-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Good for everyone, those who did the voluntary workouts AND the conditioning test are a good example to the team. Hope Haynes injury is not bothering him and hope to see him on the team.

Crushzilla
07-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Maybe Santonio had a vasectomy?

tony hipchest
07-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Maybe Santonio had a vasectomy?exactly what i was gonna post. you beat me to it! :toofunny:

i was jonsin' to hear results of "the test".

tomlin is living up to his reputation where players wont know if his a hard assed disciplinarion or a "player coach". as long as theyre acting like men, he will treat them as such, while still working hard.

if they slack they can probably to see the wrath.

Crushzilla
07-23-2007, 09:02 PM
exactly what i was gonna post. you beat me to it! :toofunny:

Twisted minds think alike

alittlejazzbird
07-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Maybe Santonio had a vasectomy?

LOL, you must be a mind-reader, Crushzilla. I totally thought that as soon as I read the article :sofunny:

But seriously. It could be a root canal or appendectomy or gall bladder or something equally unpleasant.

Preacher
07-24-2007, 01:47 PM
LOL, you must be a mind-reader, Crushzilla. I totally thought that as soon as I read the article :sofunny:

But seriously. It could be a root canal or appendectomy or gall bladder or something equally unpleasant.

I was thinking more like a root canal, ingrown toenail, removal of a mole...

You know, timed just right to not participate in the run :wink02:

However, I would think that he would have been exempt anyway.

SteelerWatch
07-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Well, he's already got kids, so the vasectomy theory is probably the best. Of course, you can have that procedure done on a long lunch break and return to the office with your co-workers none the wiser. But then again most people don't have full-contact jobs, and I recall from sneezing two days after having a hernia repaired that ripping your stitches hurts like hell.

Crushzilla
07-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Well, he's already got kids, so the vasectomy theory is probably the best. Of course, you can have that procedure done on a long lunch break and return to the office with your co-workers none the wiser. But then again most people don't have full-contact jobs, and I recall from sneezing two days after having a hernia repaired that ripping your stitches hurts like hell.

What a raw deal... you have to go through all.... that....

AND

Go back to work.

Worst... lunch break... EVER

WWIIOwheelz
07-27-2007, 12:44 AM
What a raw deal... you have to go through all.... that....

AND

Go back to work.

Worst... lunch break... EVER

Not so. They tell you to stay off your feet for 4 days & do NOTHING, no matter how good you feel. When I had it done, I felt great the next day, felt like I'd mow the lawn. No problem!

In less then 2 hours..... think angry red planets. Baseballs of red fury. *cries* Painful memory

tony hipchest
07-27-2007, 01:30 AM
Not so. They tell you to stay off your feet for 4 days & do NOTHING, no matter how good you feel. When I had it done, I felt great the next day, felt like I'd mow the lawn. No problem!

In less then 2 hours..... think angry red planets. Baseballs of red fury. *cries* Painful memory

"NOTHING"????

after a vasectomy i think i'd wanna "mow the lawn" too. :wink:

test out the new goods (or lack there of), y'know?

Preacher
07-27-2007, 02:01 AM

Sorry WWIIO...

But even my wife was laughing at you! :sofunny:

alittlejazzbird
07-27-2007, 12:35 PM
So assuming Santonio had the "snip," why did it have to be right before camp opened?????

He had weeks between the end of OTAs and the start of camp. :dang:

Preacher
07-27-2007, 05:33 PM
So assuming Santonio had the "snip," why did it have to be right before camp opened?????

He had weeks between the end of OTAs and the start of camp. :dang:

Honestly...

I bet it was something like an ingrown toenail that had to be removed....

Something that will just end up being a nagging pain... nothing serious..

but it was just bad timing. Least that is my hope.