PDA

View Full Version : Ben's a jackass...

Hammer67
07-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Got this via the Post Gazette "Blog n Gold":

"He acted like Johnny Big Time at a golf event in Reno (http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007707140337)."

:shake02:

You know, I am sure most pro athletes and famous people act like prima donnas, but this is a perfect example of someone getting paid way too much, way too young and things going to his head.

I hate hearing stuff like this. He better have a great year and earn this type of attitude.

Buzz05
07-24-2007, 12:35 PM

"He acted like Johnny Big Time at a golf event in Reno (http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007707140337)."

You know, I am sure most pro athletes and famous people act like prima donnas, but this is a perfect example of someone getting paid way too much, way too young and things going to his head.

I hate hearing stuff like this. He better have a great year and earn this type of attitude.

Some how I think he was joking about the golf balls...

Hammer67
07-24-2007, 12:40 PM

I HIGHLY doubt it based on some of the things I have heard about good old Ben. But that is only hear say. My cousin knows a bunch of the Steelers and worked in hines Ward's bar on the South Side. She has a lot of good stories about different player personalities.

Atlanta Dan
07-24-2007, 12:44 PM

Unless the reporter heard Ben directly and mischaracterized what Ben said, I doubt the Nike rep would have spouted off to the reporter if he thought Ben was joking.

In no way implying their conduct is comparable, but just as Vick is presumed by many to be guilty because of past thug behavior, the golf balls story is in keeping with Ben's diva rep in and out of the locker room.

Time to grow up.

Buzz05
07-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Yeah Ive been to the bar, thats where I met Hines and bought him a shot of his choice. The man loved Jager bombs. But I duno maybe people have different experiences with different people. A friend of mine worked at the movie theater on the South Side that a bunch of players went into. She said he was very nice. But goold Ol Plex was a jackass. Like I said I guess different people experience different things

The Duke
07-24-2007, 12:55 PM
If Ben's future is to be a leader for this team he's got to change that attitude.

Preacher
07-24-2007, 01:00 PM
When the Nike rep said he didn't have another box to give him right then and there Thursday morning, Roethlisberger pouted.
"Just get me another box. I can get them," he said. "Don't make me go all the way to the top."

I don't know... Sure isn't the worst thing in the world. And kinda funny how the author made sure we knew he signed a 7 million dollars signing bonus.

He probably did it. It probably wasn't a joke., it is time for Ben to grow up.

But if THAT is the biggest problem we have with him this offseason and training camp...

I say thank goodness. I know a LOT of people who DON'T make 7 million a year that would try to pull the same stuff for a 50 cent candy bar.

Doesn't make it right in the least... but it does show it isn't just about the money.

fansince'76
07-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Gee, I hope Goodell doesn't order him not to report to camp over this. :rolleyes:

Hammer67
07-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Yeah...it isn't a big deal, but it's crap like that which make me not want to like someone. Not everyone is nice and polite, for sure. But that's part of the problem when you have kids making millions with no perspective.

At least it isn't as bad as the time that Kevin Greene punted a football some kid brought up to him to autograph.
He was "just joking" too, after all.

Jman
07-24-2007, 01:27 PM
:hunch: Not sure why Ben would say something like that if he was serious. Perhaps someone here knows Ben personally? Is this something he'd be serious about? I'd think it's a big :nono:

Buzz05
07-24-2007, 01:33 PM
But if THAT is the biggest problem we have with him this offseason and training camp...

I agree, if that is the biggest issue right now, Ben trying to get golf balls, then Im not worried about it.

nicesteel4life
07-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Maybe I'll take a dozen with me this weekend at camp and give them to him, since he is hurting......

Truly think people take way to much out of context, So what Like if you went somewhere and they were giving stuff away you can honestly say you havent asked for a extra! Comon! Come down off your pedistals and worry about STEELER FOOTBALL, the Season has begun!

siss
07-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Actually I think I know the answer to this one.
Ben was taking them out of his pocket and signing the golf balls for the people in the crowds. So is it possible that perhaps Ben wanted more golf balls for that reason and the lady got snotty with him and he got snotty back...just a thought. But I did see him signing golf balls for kids on TV.
But seriosly shame on Ben for signing golf balls for kids. Such a jerk!

Preacher
07-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Ben was taking them out of his pocket and signing the golf balls for the people in the crowds. So is it possible that perhaps Ben wanted more golf balls for that reason and the lady got snotty with him and he got snotty back...just a thought. But I did see him signing golf balls for kids on TV.

You know.... I never thought of that... you could be very right...

But I loved this post the best...

Gee, I hope Goodell doesn't order him not to report to camp over this. :rolleyes:

TackleMeBen
07-24-2007, 02:05 PM

now he knows that primadonnas arent suppost be signing autographs..lol..

and secondly, i want to know how he signed his name on the golf balls.. they are little ..lol.

but all this is mute, compared to the fact that he doesnt like matt leinhart (which scores brownie points with me.)
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/07/16/bill-simmons-roethlisberger-leinart-dont-like-each-other/

Preacher
07-24-2007, 02:13 PM

and secondly, i want to know how he signed his name on the golf balls.. they are little ..lol.

but all this is mute, compared to the fact that he doesnt like matt leinhart (which scores brownie points with me.)
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/07/16/bill-simmons-roethlisberger-leinart-dont-like-each-other/

This response made the most sense to the whole leinhart thing...

6. Two biggest kids on the block... sooner or later, they're gonna fight. Maybe Ben sees Matt as a pretty boy sissy from so-cal, while Matt sees Ben as a midwest hick. Whatever, it's probably all media-created bull. Welcome to the off-season

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-24-2007, 02:20 PM
I think some people need a lesson in sarcasm

Edman
07-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Let's hang Ben in a tree! J/K

But seriously, I don't think Ben is that stupid enough to make a comment like that and not joke about it. His sarcasm eluded the person who wrote that article. Who in the hell complains about a golf ball prize? Seriously?

Atlanta Dan
07-24-2007, 02:26 PM

In his podcast on ESPN.com (which actually is pretty entertaining) Simmons was laughing while trying to decide with Jimmy Kimmel whether it was Ben & Leinart who had to be seated apart or Leinart & Peyton Manning (Simmons conceded that although as a Pats fan he despises the Colts that Manning treats everyone well). Apparently pro athlete feuds are like movie starlet/mean girls feuds.

FWIW Kimmel & Simmons agreed everyone apparently can't stand Leinart. :sofunny:

tony hipchest
07-24-2007, 02:28 PM
atleast ben doesnt have to ask twice for extra free cheese.

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/0518/photo/ben_roethlisberger_cheese2_275.jpg

maybe the swiss are just nicer than the folks in reno.

siss
07-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Yes the fact that rumors are that they arnt best buddies is great news...I dont want my franchise Qb hanging out with morons like Leinart anyway!

Preacher
07-24-2007, 02:29 PM

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/0518/photo/ben_roethlisberger_cheese2_275.jpg

You just HAD TO WHIP out the cheese.... Didn't you!!

:sofunny::sofunny: You are too funny!

Atlanta Dan
07-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Who in the hell complains about a golf ball prize? Seriously?

Spoiled pro athletes, rock stars and other wealthy twentysomethings will complain about all sorts of nonsense.

NM

siss
07-24-2007, 02:31 PM

Ben was in Tahoe!
There is a difference. Reno doesn't have a lake!

Preacher
07-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Spoiled pro athletes, rock stars and other wealthy twentysomethings will complain about all sorts of nonsense.

NM

Amazing what a little perspective of age will do.

CantStop85
07-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Ben's a jackass...

In other news, the earth is round.

tony hipchest
07-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Ben was in Tahoe!
There is a difference. Reno doesn't have a lake!my bad. i was thinking of the time ben was in reno and asked them to put in a lake. when they said they cant build a lake, he said "dont make me go to the top".

Jman
07-24-2007, 02:38 PM
In his podcast on ESPN.com (which actually is pretty entertaining) Simmons was laughing while trying to decide with Jimmy Kimmel whether it was Ben & Leinart who had to be seated apart or Leinart & Peyton Manning (Simmons conceded that although as a Pats fan he despises the Colts that Manning treats everyone well). Apparently pro athlete feuds are like movie starlet/mean girls feuds.

FWIW Kimmel & Simmons agreed everyone apparently can't stand Leinart. :sofunny:

:bouncy::sofunny:

Newzfoxjr
07-24-2007, 02:40 PM
my bad. i was thinking of the time ben was in reno and asked them to put in a lake. when they said they cant build a lake, he said "dont make me go to the top".

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

Niiiiiice.

Seriously though. Sounded like a joke to me...and besides, it's not like this is one of many cases. :O

Hammer67
07-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Maybe I'll take a dozen with me this weekend at camp and give them to him, since he is hurting......

Truly think people take way to much out of context, So what Like if you went somewhere and they were giving stuff away you can honestly say you havent asked for a extra! Comon! Come down off your pedistals and worry about STEELER FOOTBALL, the Season has begun!

Who said I am not worried about Steeler football??? :tt02:

Relax folks...I like your beloved Ben as a player. It was just a talking point (which is the point of a message board, si?) on a board of otherwise kiss ass posts. This isn't the first time I have heard of him acting this way which makes me not immediately discount it.

:cheers:

TackleMeBen
07-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Yes the fact that rumors are that they arnt best buddies is great news...I dont want my franchise Qb hanging out with morons like Leinart anyway!

:iagree:

tony hipchest
07-24-2007, 02:46 PM
and to think we passed on brady quinn when he fell into our laps :dang: (and we know he loves laps).

instead of having ben asking for free balls we couldve had a qb who wouldve just fondled the balls of the nike rep.

Atlanta Dan
07-24-2007, 02:53 PM
Amazing what a little perspective of age will do.

Or just perspective - would anyone believe the golf balls story if it allegedly involved Troy?

If anyone wants reassurance that not all athletes are self-centered jerks, read the P-G qoutes from Troy on his thoughts regarding his new contract.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-24-2007, 02:54 PM
and to think we passed on brady quinn when he fell into our laps :dang: (and we know he loves laps).

instead of having ben asking for free balls we couldve had a qb who wouldve just fondled the balls of the nike rep.

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:Tony you made me fall out of my chair with this post...lol

TackleMeBen
07-24-2007, 03:02 PM
:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:Tony you made me fall out of my chair with this post...lol

he is usually good for some laughs.. :thumbsup:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-24-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is........So what Ben asked for more golf balls and went on a ego trip....I don't think this makes him out to be Paris Hilton....lol

BeuffordLTD
07-24-2007, 04:02 PM

Me, too.

First, the article's author, Siobhan McAndrew, is a columinst for the Life section of The Reno Gazette-Journal. I believe there is a chance she misunderstood the scenario, especially when you consider her other columns like "Night Owwwt! Anything goes when it comes to club attire," "Win a dorm makeover; pretty toes," or "Putting your career into a To Go Bag."

She mentions Dan Qualye getting snubbed by the sunglasses guy, and two sentences later McAndrew writes, "But not every celebrity was freebie-fulfilled." Also, notice she didn't print any follow up questions to Ben or directly quote the Nike rep.

Look at slide 35 of 42 in the photo galleries at the The Reno Gazette-Journal entitled "ACC Golf Saturday." That photo and caption alone should explain why Ben needed more golf balls.

Controversy shopping and nothing more.

OneForTheToe
07-24-2007, 04:56 PM
This is nothing to me ......... I don't care if Ben throws himself on the ground and puts on a temper tantrum, hitting his fists against the ground, because he wanted another pack of balls. I only care how he plays football and that he doesn't do anything that would violate league conduct policy.

83-Steelers-43
07-24-2007, 04:59 PM

Ben is GOD. Plain and simple. He is GOD. It's Ed Bouchette's and Ron Cook's fault. Yes, they are the downfall, not the jerkoffs at ESPN, it's the local media.

HometownGal
07-24-2007, 05:59 PM

Oh Tony - you are so funny! YAY! (lol)....:smile:

P.S. HEE! :wink02:

On the story - what's worse - a smart assed comment by your QB or him having a rap sheet longer than a Browns' losing streak? I don't give a hoot what his mouth spouts off outside of the football field, as long as his arm produces on it.

83-Steelers-43
07-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Ed Bouchette actually implants what comes out of Ben's, Alan's, Ward's and Porter's mouth. It's amazing. Ed has a gift. It's truly amazing.

fansince'76
07-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Ed Bouchette actually implants what comes out of Ben's, Alan's, Ward's and Porter's mouth. It's amazing. Ed has a gift. It's truly amazing.

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/96/77/23257796.jpg

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

stillers4me
07-24-2007, 07:30 PM
A reporter can take any quote, leave out a few facts and give it an entirely different context. (What (gasp)....not the news media!!)

It would be interesting to know what this particular reporter left out of the story.

delhess
07-24-2007, 10:14 PM
i've heard rumors for a few years about ben not tipping well, and walking out on large bill at restaurants in pittsburgh. maybe true? could be. is that as bad as dog fighting or dui or some of the other stuff athletes do? NO WAY.

do you think it's possible that babe ruth would have walked out on a dinner bill or two? likely.

i was at a "gathering" recently where an unnamed veteran steeler was talking to me and another guy, and the other guy said he had been hearing rumor ben was a jerk. well, the (unnamed) steeler just said, well, "he's not really a friend, say what you want"

now this is a respected player, and i don't think he meant anything, but i did note he didn't quickly defend ben.

Hey , i was 25 once, and i was an ******* sometimes, and i didn't have any reason to be ****y, i just was. so what, he's young and should be allowed to have indiscretions, they do little harm.

delhess
07-24-2007, 10:16 PM
sorry, "i was 25 once, and i was an a$$ sometimes, and i didn't have any reason to be arrogant, i just was. so what, he's young and should be allowed to have indiscretions, they do little harm"

Hammer67
07-25-2007, 07:39 AM
sorry, "i was 25 once, and i was an a$$ sometimes, and i didn't have any reason to be arrogant, i just was. so what, he's young and should be allowed to have indiscretions, they do little harm"

We all have been youthful and ignorant at one point or another. I think the fame and money that these guys get at such an early age can lead it to go to their heads more often then not. They probably get used to a lifestyle where people just give them things all the time and expect it.

It is just much more refreshing to see a star athlete who is not a jerk.

My buddy ran into Jerame Tuman at a concert and didn't recognize him. I think they were in line for drinks or the bathroom. My buddy was wearing a Heath Miller jersey and Tuman complimented him on it and said something to the effect that the TE's don't get much respect and that Miller is a great young player. My buddy is joking with the guy and still doesn't realize who it is.

When they were parting ways, he told my friend who he was and he was taken surprised!

Livinginthe past
07-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Since when did being 25 start being an excuse for being a juvenile, arrogant jerk?

Seriously, has anyone got any stories here where they didn't start acting like an adult until they were 40 or something?

As far as the incident goes - I don't see how its possible for Ben to have not meant it as a joke.

The guy is hot and he's the Steelers QB - if those two things don't guarantee a lifetime of Saint-like behavior......then im going to have to rethink my whole outlook on life!!

Either that, or the context was all wrong....yeah, the context...thats it.

X-Terminator
07-25-2007, 09:17 AM
What people seem to forget is that these athletes are HUMAN BEINGS first and foremost, with flaws just like everyone else. Far too many people put these guys on pedestals, and then act shocked when they exhibit normal, human behavior. Anybody here who has been paying attention for more than 5 seconds when they've been around your average 25 year old knows that, for the most part, they are not the most mature people in the world. It's not like he pulled a Pacman Jones or Joey Porter or (insert criminal thug Bengal here). So to me, it's a non-issue. Besides, I just heard from someone last Saturday that Ben was very accommodating and good with the kids at a function he was invited to last year that his organization (forget which organization it was) hosted. He took pictures with people, allowed the kids to take pictures with his SB ring on, etc. But of course, you never hear about stuff like that anywhere else.

SteelCityMan786
07-25-2007, 10:56 AM
A reporter can take any quote, leave out a few facts and give it an entirely different context. (What (gasp)....not the news media!!)

It would be interesting to know what this particular reporter left out of the story.

That's for sure. That will just make the people willing to do the interview a reason to be pissed off.

Tankus_Maximus
07-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Hmmm...trying to comp more free stuff....or executing dogs in a barbaric manner?

I don't think Goodell's gonna lose much sleep over this, neither am I.