PDA

View Full Version : Missed a GREAT Jerome Opportunity

Dyngoe
07-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi All,

I just came back to the greatest city in the US a few days ago. While waiting for my rental car, I noticed a man having trouble with one of his bags. I went to offer assistance, but he politely said he was OK. He looked up with a smile and I was stunned. I turned to my wife and she smiled too. The man no more than two feet in front of me was the best, the Bus, Jerome Bettis.

Quite possibly my favorite sports player ever, I thought it polite to not bother him. As soon as his friend picked him up I started kicking myself. :dang: I had my camera in my bag with a Steelers shirt I brought for camp and a Notre Dame shirt as well. Finally, my son Carson was with us as well. Wouldn't you know he was born on February 16th of this year. An irony that was not lost on my family.

How could I have passed up such a once in a lifetime opportunity? I guess I'll have to find solice in the fact that at least I was able to offer help to someone who has given so much to everyone else; even if it was just a suitcase.

memphissteelergirl
07-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Hey at least you got to see him...

A couple of months after SBXL I found out that JB was here in Memphis giving a motivational speech to a group of kids about living with asthma. I did not know about it until I saw it on a local newscast's sports segment. Man, I was sooo ticked! :dang:

The Duke
07-25-2007, 11:08 AM
You saw him, you said something to him, he said something back, he smiled. That's a great experience with The Bus :thumbsup:

dhosmer
07-25-2007, 11:52 AM
why was he having trouble with his bags is the real question...

Jman
07-25-2007, 11:58 AM
You saw him, you said something to him, he said something back, he smiled. That's a great experience with The Bus :thumbsup:

:iagree:

Preacher
07-28-2007, 02:43 AM
Yep...

He probably appreciated the thought... and also liked being treated like a human being!

stillers4me
07-29-2007, 12:22 PM
And why did you name your son Carson??????????? :jawdrop:

Dyngoe
09-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Hey All,

Been a while since I posted. I appreciate the positive support from everyone. My wife and I still kick ourselves for not taking the opportunity of a lifetime.

I would like to address my son's name. It was not lost on me or my family that his name coincides with a particular individual who does hold a place of honor in our homes to say the least. :blah:
However, the decision was made due to his middle name "Kennith", my father's middle name. From all the names my wife had found we decided Carson sounded the best. So, hopefully the other guy disappears long before my son starts following the greatest team in NFL.

JackHammer
09-24-2007, 03:59 PM
why was he having trouble with his bags is the real question...

See Earl Campbell for details....... RB is a hard life.