PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Home Theater cables...why are they so expensive???

Hammer67
07-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Hello fellow Steeler fans,

Aside from my love of the Steelers, I find myself to be somewhat of a home theater enthusiast. I was an early adopter of DVD's back in 1997 and was an early adopter HDTV buyer. I know how all those components that go into a great home theater system can add up. From the TV, the dvd player, the video game console, the audio receiver, equalizer and all the cabling involved.

Here is a little tip regarding the last part of that equation. Cables. These are the most over hyped, over priced part of home theater and audio hookups. The same is true for computers. If you go into a brick & mortar store, you could very well spend up to $120+ on a 6ft HDMI cable!!!! I say, screw that. I am on a budget like most of you.

Shop the Internet. Don't listen to the marketing BS of companies like Monster Cable. You can get the same quality 6ft HDMI cable for $12 online. Don't believe me? Try www.monoprice.com or any other online retailer (not a plug, they are just an example). So, want to watch the Steelers in High Def glory without paying an arm and a leg, do yourself a favor and step away from the uninformed Best Buy rep and buy your cables much cheaper online. I just did this for my folks which lead to this post as they were conned into buying a $100+ cable at Best Buy which I had to return for them.

Regards,

Rob

:cheers:

MACH1
07-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Thats a good site you posted above, very affordable. People may want to try e-bay also, I got a 6' hdmi cable for $5. altogether with shipping. The same cable that monoprice sells.

revefsreleets
07-25-2007, 03:57 PM
I fell for that when I bought my HDTV, and that was my fault because I spent all my time researching the TV's and zero time thinking about cables. I spent like $150 on cables from Best Buy, and took them right back for a refund that night after my friends made fun of me for being such a sucker. I went on ebay and got the same exact cables for $28 including shipping!

Preacher
07-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Hey Hammer...

Your exactly right... Thanks for the post.

Unless your running the signal A LONG WAY... Any cable should do. HDMI at 4 or 5 feet is absolutely fine... regardless of its make.

Now, if you were running it about 20 feet... Do your research, as signal deterioration may become an issue. However, I am running a Computer cable over a hundred feet... with NO deterioration. So who knows. I even had computer people tell me I couldn't do that. But it works FINE.

Hammer67
07-25-2007, 10:37 PM
I suggest www.hometheaterspot.com to anyone out there into home theater. Research everything before you buy!

X-Terminator
07-25-2007, 10:45 PM
You can also try www.pricewatch.com for all things electronic - some of the best prices anywhere on the net.

BTW, I never buy Monster cables - figured out years ago that they are rip-off artists. I've used plenty of cables - even store brands - and never had a problem with any of them. Even the cables that come with some home theater receivers/DVD players/VCRs are just as good as anything Monster puts out. I'm running Philips digital coax audio and S-video cables that I bought from Wal-Mart on my home theater - not one issue. Cost me a total of $30 for 3 cables.

Hammer67
07-26-2007, 07:43 AM
You can also try www.pricewatch.com (http://www.pricewatch.com) for all things electronic - some of the best prices anywhere on the net.

BTW, I never buy Monster cables - figured out years ago that they are rip-off artists. I've used plenty of cables - even store brands - and never had a problem with any of them. Even the cables that come with some home theater receivers/DVD players/VCRs are just as good as anything Monster puts out. I'm running Philips digital coax audio and S-video cables that I bought from Wal-Mart on my home theater - not one issue. Cost me a total of $30 for 3 cables.

S-Video? No component or HDMI?

X-Terminator
07-26-2007, 08:27 AM
S-Video? No component or HDMI?

Nope - don't have HDTV yet.

Hammer67
07-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Nope - don't have HDTV yet.

Ahhh....You need turned to the "Dark Side" :wink02:

rbryan
07-26-2007, 02:55 PM
What do you think about the Bose system for the TV?? They also have a system that has a CD player that stores 200 hours of music. I was thinking about springing for this but don't know much about these systems.

Hammer67
07-26-2007, 03:39 PM
What do you think about the Bose system for the TV?? They also have a system that has a CD player that stores 200 hours of music. I was thinking about springing for this but don't know much about these systems.

Waste of money IMO. I have never been "wowed" by Bose. At least not enough to make up for the outrageous prices. If you are looking for a decent system. I think Yamaha makes great mid range AV recievers. For speakers, Boston Accoustics or an online manufacturer, SVS, makes great stuff. Boston Acc. is a little pricey but SVS has a surround speaker system + subwoofer that is a great deal at $999.

revefsreleets
07-26-2007, 03:43 PM
I've had several Bose products over the years ( Rear Channel speakers, 201's and 301's, Wave Machine) and everything I've had has been top notch and reasonably priced. The Acoustimass System is a great bang for the buck. Comparatively speaking, you can spend 10X as much for a system that is only slightly better sounding ( if you are a true audiophile).

Preacher
07-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Waste of money IMO. I have never been "wowed" by Bose. At least not enough to make up for the outrageous prices. If you are looking for a decent system. I think Yamaha makes great mid range AV recievers. For speakers, Boston Accoustics or an online manufacturer, SVS, makes great stuff. Boston Acc. is a little pricey but SVS has a surround speaker system + subwoofer that is a great deal at $999.

Dang... I agree again.

I bought a Cambridge soundworks system... 1000 for the 5.1 speaker system, and a decent sony receiver. That was in 1999. It is still in use... and put out unbelievable sound. the sub is only a 8 inch as well.

Remember, it isn't speaker size that counts... it is clarity, responsiveness, etc.

I just bought a LCD HDTV... had a rear projection TV before.

I love the LCD HDTV. I can't wait for Direct Satellite to up the ante on HD channels this fall.

Hammer...

Is it worth upgrading to a 6.1 or 7.1 system yet? I haven't seen to many DVD's that are formatted for that. I understand that 6.1 is simply a back center speaker... would I be wrong in thinking the back center speaker could be a step or two down in quality from the front center without it diminishing the quality of the actual sound? It just has to equal the quality of the other back speakers right?

Also... what is your thoughts on Blu-ray? Again, I haven't seen too much formatted for that. I am trying to convince my wife that we need blu-ray, and then buy the Sony Playstation 3 to get Blu-ray!

So far, it isn't working.

revefsreleets
07-26-2007, 04:17 PM
I don't know, guys, $700 is pretty reasonable.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=am6_surround_index&perfsourceid=k40132&src=k40132

Preacher
07-26-2007, 05:33 PM
I don't know, guys, $700 is pretty reasonable.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=am6_surround_index&perfsourceid=k40132&src=k40132

Speakers only... that may not be a bad deal... but most of the ones I have seen have the player included... which makes it a closed system... and goes for 2 or 3 thousand.

MACH1
07-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Is it worth upgrading to a 6.1 or 7.1 system yet? I haven't seen to many DVD's that are formatted for that. I understand that 6.1 is simply a back center speaker... would I be wrong in thinking the back center speaker could be a step or two down in quality from the front center without it diminishing the quality of the actual sound? It just has to equal the quality of the other back speakers right?

The rear speaker(s) are for discreet sound. Like during a movie and there were footsteps behind you it would sound like someone walking up behind you.

Theres 6.1 dvd's out there, I haven't seen any 7.1 yet, unless they're only in hd. I don't have a hd dvd player yet. I think 6.1 would be about like 7.1 except with one more speaker.

Preacher
07-26-2007, 06:37 PM
The rear speaker(s) are for discreet sound. Like during a movie and there were footsteps behind you it would sound like someone walking up behind you.

Theres 6.1 dvd's out there, I haven't seen any 7.1 yet, unless they're only in hd. I don't have a hd dvd player yet. I think 6.1 would be about like 7.1 except with one more speaker.

What I am wondering is how does the center rear work... as a reflection of the center... or in tandem with the rear speakers. If it is a reflection of the center... something flies at your head from straight on... and it goes directly to the back center speaker... you will need a strong back speaker if your center speaker is upgraded (Some, including me, usually by an upgraded center speaker over the others for more crispness in regular dialog. Its not optimal... but I don't have the money to get optimal for what I want).

If it works in tandem with the back speakers... then it needs to be the same quality...

If it is a true seperate speaker... an entire different channel which will have noise sources all its own... then which way do we go... stronger because it is center back.. or balanced because it is part of the back speakers?

I remember reading that if a 5.1 is played on a 6.1, it simply takes the signal to the rear left and right speaker, and puts it in the center rear as well...

Hammer...

Enlighten me please!

MACH1
07-26-2007, 06:48 PM
The rear should be on a separate channel than the others. The sound if its a plane flying from front to rear the sound should follow from front to rear, so it should sound like it passed right over you.
Center, fronts, sides and rear are on separate channels. So the rear should not have the voices like the center to focus on the main dialog and the tv.

Here's a place to go check out. They explain it better than I can.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

revefsreleets
07-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Actually, I think the bottom line is that unless you have money to boin, it's better to take a "wait and see" approach about Blu Ray vs. HD DVD and better to wait for 6.1 to come down in price.

Preacher
07-26-2007, 08:07 PM
The rear should be on a separate channel than the others. The sound if its a plane flying from front to rear the sound should follow from front to rear, so it should sound like it passed right over you.
Center, fronts, sides and rear are on separate channels. So the rear should not have the voices like the center to focus on the main dialog and the tv.

I understand that...

What I was wondering... was if if you would hear a faint part of the conversation ITSELF in the rear main, so that you felt like you were in close... or if it would ONLY be fronts still... that is what I meant by mirrored. Will it provide only the background and passing sounds... or give a slight feed of the front channel to make you feel "Closer to teh action"?

Can you tell I am an audiophile?

Preacher
07-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Actually, I think the bottom line is that unless you have money to boin, it's better to take a "wait and see" approach about Blu Ray vs. HD DVD and better to wait for 6.1 to come down in price.

Your probably right.

The technology is still pretty dang knew.

However, LCD/Plasmas are about to become a thing of the past...

There is a new TV coming out called a Laser TV. Haven't heard much, but it is unbelievalbe. THen there are things further out... TV's that are as thick as a sheet, you can roll them up and put them in your pocket. The two outside skins contain a SINGLE layer of electrons which will agitate to produce the picture.... I could be wrong on the specifics... but not on the general idea!

Wow... next 15 years will be amazing when it comes to picture.

Hammer67
07-26-2007, 08:12 PM

That is another great forum for advice. I visit there often. 6.1 and 7.1 are indeed seperate surround channels much like the left and right rear channels. Not many films are currently mixed in 6.1 or 7.1 yet. And, for what it is worth, there isn't much use to those formats as of right now. Most decent mid range receivers will support those channels and it isn't too expensive to jump to them. You just have to factor in where you are going to place them.

I concur that it might be better to wait out the Blu Ray and HD-DVD war right now. Does anyone remember the Beta/VHS battle in the early 80's??? I sure do, and this is shaping up to be even worse. I know there are hybrid players out there, but I would wait. This will be resolved within a few years. Those formats will also have the 6.1 and 7.1 sound mixes (Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus, etc.).

As it stands, I would put the money towards a great TV that will be the centerpiece of your system.

Regarding Bose, I still think you can find better or equal quality for much less...like Monster cables, they are marketing geniuses.

Hammer67
07-26-2007, 08:18 PM
I understand that...

What I was wondering... was if if you would hear a faint part of the conversation ITSELF in the rear main, so that you felt like you were in close... or if it would ONLY be fronts still... that is what I meant by mirrored. Will it provide only the background and passing sounds... or give a slight feed of the front channel to make you feel "Closer to teh action"?

Can you tell I am an audiophile?

This is 100% up to the person mixing the audio (i.e the source). That would be the film/DVD sound tech and director. As long as you have decent quality receiver and speakers, you should be able to hear everything.

From my experience, there isn't a huge difference in th way high end stuff vs. decent mid range speakers/receivers for the non audiophile. I have always been more into the video quality. I can tell the difference between low end audio equipment and mid range, but it is much harder to tell the difference between mid range and high end. And, the cost of high end is usually not worth it to me. Video and TV's are another story.

revefsreleets
07-26-2007, 09:23 PM
That is another great forum for advice. I visit there often. 6.1 and 7.1 are indeed seperate surround channels much like the left and right rear channels. Not many films are currently mixed in 6.1 or 7.1 yet. And, for what it is worth, there isn't much use to those formats as of right now. Most decent mid range receivers will support those channels and it isn't too expensive to jump to them. You just have to factor in where you are going to place them.

I concur that it might be better to wait out the Blu Ray and HD-DVD war right now. Does anyone remember the Beta/VHS battle in the early 80's??? I sure do, and this is shaping up to be even worse. I know there are hybrid players out there, but I would wait. This will be resolved within a few years. Those formats will also have the 6.1 and 7.1 sound mixes (Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus, etc.).

As it stands, I would put the money towards a great TV that will be the centerpiece of your system.

Regarding Bose, I still think you can find better or equal quality for much less...like Monster cables, they are marketing geniuses.

I took out my trash to the dumpster today and ( I have to look because there was a large Raccoon that lived in there once) I saw a ton of Beta tapes in there. I haven't seen a Beta tape in years. It's interesting, because Beta was the superior technology, but it lost out.

As for Bose, check out the specs. They deliver pound for pound and dollar for dollar as good a product as any out there. If you read Consumer Reports, forget about it. Bose and CR are mortal enemies from 25 years ago when CR wrongly criticized Bose.

Anyway, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and taste in sound varies a lot.

Hammer67
07-26-2007, 11:02 PM
As for Bose, check out the specs. They deliver pound for pound and dollar for dollar as good a product as any out there. If you read Consumer Reports, forget about it. Bose and CR are mortal enemies from 25 years ago when CR wrongly criticized Bose.

Well, I understand how you feel. It's like someone saying a particular car is not that great but, in fact, you own it! I say, if you are happy with them, then they were worth the money to you.

Personally, i look elsewhere. I know there marketing guides make audiophiles on the sites I visit cringe! :wink02: My parents ponied out for the wave radio/cd player. Aside from the aesthetic value to it, they regret the purchase. I mean, it is a decent CD player, but they paid WAY too much for what they got.

I just prefer other alternatives that sound just as good to me. Every time I go to a Bose outlet, I am underwhelmed, especially after comparing price.

But, then again, I don't claim to be an audiophile. I am more of a "videophile".

rbryan
07-27-2007, 10:42 AM
I wasn't looking to spend a grand on the sound system. I have a Sony Vega HD 55" with nothing right now. I've seen systems in Walmart for $300-400, I'm no audiophile either so what do you think about the lower end stuff.

Also, I've been waiting for the HD DVR's to come down in price, whats a good deal for one of those now??

Hammer67
07-27-2007, 11:28 AM
I wasn't looking to spend a grand on the sound system. I have a Sony Vega HD 55" with nothing right now. I've seen systems in Walmart for $300-400, I'm no audiophile either so what do you think about the lower end stuff.

Also, I've been waiting for the HD DVR's to come down in price, whats a good deal for one of those now??

Well, you get what you pay for. I would save and get something nice. A decent set of speakers can last a lifetime, so their value increases. Whatever you do decide on though, I would research it and read reviews.

Why not just lease a DVR through the cable or sattelite TV company? It's usually cheap and you always have the latest technology....plus, if it breaks, you turn it in for a new one.

rbryan
07-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Direct TV was giving one for free for extending the contract last year but it wasn't HD. I will check with them again to see what kind of deal they will give me. Appreciate the input.

I want to save Steeler games (long term) and maybe a handfull of other shows. Can you transfer to another DVR or back up in case the DVR goes bad or becomes outdated?

MACH1
07-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Direct TV was giving one for free for extending the contract last year but it wasn't HD. I will check with them again to see what kind of deal they will give me. Appreciate the input.

I want to save Steeler games (long term) and maybe a handfull of other shows. Can you transfer to another DVR or back up in case the DVR goes bad or becomes outdated?

I have directv, and if you want to upgrade, sometimes you have play the customer service rep. roulette game with d*. If at first you don't get the deal you want keep calling back till you do. But if you want a FREE DVR non hd go online to your account and click update equipment and in the Offer box put this in and you should be on your way. "DVR4U2"

I not real sure that you can "backup" the dvr, A person might be able to back up to a media center computer or something like that or if you have a dvd recorder you can record whats on the dvr that way.

Preacher
07-27-2007, 04:18 PM

My HD direct TV box has USB ports in the back...

I haven't tried it, but I think that I could hook it up, and have it pop up as a removable hardrive on my computer...

Again, I haven't tried it yet.

Mosca
07-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Hey, I'm an audiophile.... hardcore. Tubes, electrostatics, vinyl. But that's my choice. If someone else wants to buy something different, or spend less money, I'm all for that, too. Anyhow, I do most of my listening these days to compressed digital; WMA and mp3 files. So the world turns.

The cool thing about video cable versus audio cables is that we are so tuned in visually. If there is a difference, you can definitely see it. But with listening, there is so much going on psychoacoustically; was my memory of what it sounded like before accurate? Do I hear a difference, or do I think I hear a difference? That's how people wind up spending $100,000 on audio cabling, and thousands of dollars with Shun Mook for Audio Pucks and Magic Bricks.

For me, I trust in what I hear. I've only been caught short once (the Bedini CD Clarifier). Otherwise, I think I've done OK; expensive, but no one who's heard it has complained.

As for video, I just don't watch, and the family doesn't seem interested. Not long ago I had some windfall money and made noises about getting a big screen LCD; the girls wanted to go to Disney instead. No one is really into it at my house, and I won't spend the big bucks to watch WSOP and so they can watch Flip This House and reruns of Josh & Drake.

Tom

MACH1
07-27-2007, 08:16 PM
My HD direct TV box has USB ports in the back...

I haven't tried it, but I think that I could hook it up, and have it pop up as a removable hardrive on my computer...

Again, I haven't tried it yet.

Yes it works, but not that way. Its only for a external hard drive and it will only recognize one drive at a time.

Preacher
07-28-2007, 04:55 AM
Yes it works, but not that way. Its only for a external hard drive and it will only recognize one drive at a time.

Oh.... Okay. Like I said, I haven't tried it.

Preacher
07-28-2007, 05:01 AM
Hey, I'm an audiophile.... hardcore. Tubes, electrostatics, vinyl. But that's my choice. If someone else wants to buy something different, or spend less money, I'm all for that, too. Anyhow, I do most of my listening these days to compressed digital; WMA and mp3 files. So the world turns.

The cool thing about video cable versus audio cables is that we are so tuned in visually. If there is a difference, you can definitely see it. But with listening, there is so much going on psychoacoustically; was my memory of what it sounded like before accurate? Do I hear a difference, or do I think I hear a difference? That's how people wind up spending $100,000 on audio cabling, and thousands of dollars with Shun Mook for Audio Pucks and Magic Bricks.

For me, I trust in what I hear. I've only been caught short once (the Bedini CD Clarifier). Otherwise, I think I've done OK; expensive, but no one who's heard it has complained.

As for video, I just don't watch, and the family doesn't seem interested. Not long ago I had some windfall money and made noises about getting a big screen LCD; the girls wanted to go to Disney instead. No one is really into it at my house, and I won't spend the big bucks to watch WSOP and so they can watch Flip This House and reruns of Josh & Drake.

Tom

Funny...

I like to kind go middle of the road on both.

I have a Phillips LCD 42 inch screen. It is very nice.. 1080p.

However, I spent a HECK of a lot less then I could have... even at this size or a bit larger.

Like I said, our sound system is now 10 years old almost... but it is GREAT still. The only thing that i really have upgraded for sound is the dvd player itself....

I like it because instead of going to movies for 15 bucks, plus another 20 for food... We can rent a movie, have dinner, popcorn, and a pop for about 15 dollars at home... and that includes the pizza!

Hammer67
07-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Funny...

I like to kind go middle of the road on both.

I have a Phillips LCD 42 inch screen. It is very nice.. 1080p.

However, I spent a HECK of a lot less then I could have... even at this size or a bit larger.

Like I said, our sound system is now 10 years old almost... but it is GREAT still. The only thing that i really have upgraded for sound is the dvd player itself....

I like it because instead of going to movies for 15 bucks, plus another 20 for food... We can rent a movie, have dinner, popcorn, and a pop for about 15 dollars at home... and that includes the pizza!

Yeah. I have found that the difference between low end stuff and mid range is drastic while the jump from mid range is much more expensive with much smaller gain in quality. I find the middle road in most technology is the sweet spot.

For me, I am a movie buff so HDTV is the way for me. I am holding off on a High Def DVD player until the format war ends or is resolved.

I know that there are companies that try to sell expensive speaker wire out there, claiming a difference. I say BS. Speaker wire is speaker wire. Just get a low gauge.

With video cables, there are a differrence in quality when you jump from one type to another (quality goes RCA --> S-Video ---> DVI \ HDMI). But the difference between brands and costs are negligible.

Mosca
07-28-2007, 11:07 AM
I know that there are companies that try to sell expensive speaker wire out there, claiming a difference. I say BS. Speaker wire is speaker wire. Just get a low gauge.

With video cables, there are a differrence in quality when you jump from one type to another (quality goes RCA --> S-Video ---> DVI \ HDMI). But the difference between brands and costs are negligible.

Agreed, with the caveat that it's much easier for us to see a difference than it is for us to hear a difference. What that does is make the point that there might be a difference (in audio) moot; if it's there, but you don't recognize it, then who cares?

I've never spent money on a difference that I couldn't hear ($149 Bedini CD Clarifier excepted), but I will admit to occasionally questioning the price/value equation of something I bought. I have one really high end system, one middle high end, and one low high end... in the garage I use a Hafler preamp and a Conrad/Johnson tube amp with XM radio or a Walkman-style CD player running on line-out through Linnaeum speakers. That's mostly because I can't bear to get rid of anything, I just move stuff to a different room.

Tom

Hammer67
07-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Agreed, with the caveat that it's much easier for us to see a difference than it is for us to hear a difference. What that does is make the point that there might be a difference (in audio) moot; if it's there, but you don't recognize it, then who cares?

I've never spent money on a difference that I couldn't hear ($149 Bedini CD Clarifier excepted), but I will admit to occasionally questioning the price/value equation of something I bought. I have one really high end system, one middle high end, and one low high end... in the garage I use a Hafler preamp and a Conrad/Johnson tube amp with XM radio or a Walkman-style CD player running on line-out through Linnaeum speakers. That's mostly because I can't bear to get rid of anything, I just move stuff to a different room.

Tom

One area of audio I can hear a difference is mp3's. I can't stand mp3's compressed at 128kbs. Which is what most download sites use. I ripped all my CD's and put them on an external hard drive. I started out in 128dbs and found that they sounded tinny or hissy. When I upped the bit rate to 320kbs, they sounded as good as the CD.

Food for thought for those of you doing the same.

Mosca
07-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Best Buy and Circuit City are the new traveling Gypsies. They take advantage of those that don't know. They recently talked a friends parents into a 129 dollar antivirus/firewall solution for thier new computer. Anyone here spend more than 30 bucks on that? I personally run only free stuff.

I think some people pay more for the automation of the features, which makes sense I think. You and I are fine spending $30 (or free) and configuring it ourselves; but many of our friends want to install it and forget it, with the security of knowing that it is protecting them.

I think the real shame is that the money gets spent but doesn't provide security. You aren't really secure unless you are constantly vigilant. I got the absolute slickest phish this morning; it really almost hooked me. And I'm savvy about this stuff. But all the firewalls and virus solutions out there are worthless against quality human engineering. If I willfully give away the information, then what?

Yeah Hammer, 128 mp3 really sucks. But good WMA and AAC is pretty good, even though the files are smaller. For the casual listening environment I'm OK with 192 mp3 and up, and for serious listening I go with analog all the way.

Preacher
07-30-2007, 05:33 AM
I can understand the bigger more expensive cabling, if you have to be very careful about shielding... say your running a LOT of wireless signals (a WHOLE lot), at the same time your in a high RF volume area.. etc. etc.

But for the normal person... Any HDMI for HDTV.. any optical/digital for sound... and your 5.1 etc. will sound great in a system...

The only thing I would be a little leery about... is the guage and quality of the speaker wire itself... but that is more to be careful that you don't lose too much signal before you get to the speaker... and again, that is based on setup.

revefsreleets
07-31-2007, 05:02 PM
Speaking of, my girlfriends brother went to a tag sale at a doctors house, and found a couple of $10,000 McIntosh speakers for $100. Apparently, the doctors son wasn't real familiar with the brand.

Hammer67
08-01-2007, 08:33 PM
LOL!! See? Sometimes there are hidden gems as garage sales!

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Another option for cables is your cable company... I work for one and we supply the cables in the normal lengths ... when installing the HD or DVR boxes

GBMelBlount
08-01-2007, 11:56 PM
I took out my trash to the dumpster today and ( I have to look because there was a large Raccoon that lived in there once) I saw a ton of Beta tapes in there. I haven't seen a Beta tape in years. It's interesting, because Beta was the superior technology, but it lost out.

I have had a bose acoustimass for 6 years. Love it. The reason is because our daughters bedroom is on the same floor. It is very clean as far as dialogue & musically accurate, etc. Base cuts off high a half+ octave higher than many others, 40's I have heard, haven't seen anything published. This has been good for me. However, we are moving into a new house Friday and our daughter is now on second floord. I just ordered a newer HD 1080 TV. With daughter on another floor, I am also thinking about some new Definitive Technology speakers . I have been researching them for years. I would like something with tight bass in teens or 20's Hz. My wife is not so sure. Life is full of compromises!

Preacher
08-02-2007, 02:12 AM
I have had a bose acoustimass for 6 years. Love it. The reason is because our daughters bedroom is on the same floor. It is very clean as far as dialogue & musically accurate, etc. Base cuts off high a half+ octave higher than many others, 40's I have heard, haven't seen anything published. This has been good for me. However, we are moving into a new house Friday and our daughter is now on second floord. I just ordered a newer HD 1080 TV. With daughter on another floor, I am also thinking about some new Definitive Technology speakers . I have been researching them for years. I would like something with tight bass in teens or 20's Hz. My wife is not so sure. Life is full of compromises!

Funny thing is... it comes to a point when it is simply taste.

But I will tell you what, Hammer is exactly right... The difference between low and mid level is unreal!

Buzz05
08-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Alright, maybe someone could help me out. I will be moving in roughly a month to a new townhouse down by the stadiums here in Bmore. And when I set up my surround sound I was wondering if anyone had a good idea on how to hide the wires. The floor is granite mozaic tile so i cant really hide them under the floor. The only thing I was thinking of doing is running the along the wall and hide them under the the molding going by sliding glass door that leads to the patio. Now we are looking at getting a throw rug for under our coffee table but right now its just an idea till we get in there and my roommates can figure out what they want to do. Any ideas would be welcome!

P.S. Keep in mind im just running a 400 w Sanyo system with Wal Mart speaker wires. Any other advice on how to make it sound a little better would be great as wel! Thanks in advance!

Hammer67
08-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Alright, maybe someone could help me out. I will be moving in roughly a month to a new townhouse down by the stadiums here in Bmore. And when I set up my surround sound I was wondering if anyone had a good idea on how to hide the wires. The floor is granite mozaic tile so i cant really hide them under the floor. The only thing I was thinking of doing is running the along the wall and hide them under the the molding going by sliding glass door that leads to the patio. Now we are looking at getting a throw rug for under our coffee table but right now its just an idea till we get in there and my roommates can figure out what they want to do. Any ideas would be welcome!

P.S. Keep in mind im just running a 400 w Sanyo system with Wal Mart speaker wires. Any other advice on how to make it sound a little better would be great as wel! Thanks in advance!

Are the walls drywall? If so, you may want to think about running them in the walls. That's what I am doing as I redo my basement. All wire will be run in the walls. Otherwise, you can match the wire color to the wall color and run them along the ceiling. It isn't the most aesthetic way but I have found that people rarely notice.

Buzz05
08-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Are the walls drywall? If so, you may want to think about running them in the walls. That's what I am doing as I redo my basement. All wire will be run in the walls. Otherwise, you can match the wire color to the wall color and run them along the ceiling. It isn't the most aesthetic way but I have found that people rarely notice.

see the thing with our place, is its a rowhome. The way our living room is, 3 of the alls are drywall, and the 4th is brick, so I dont know if that would work. And with us only renting it I dont think the landlord would let us put wires behind the drywall. If I owned the place, then sure I would do that. Ya see what i am running into. Its a little difficult haha

Hammer67
08-02-2007, 12:10 PM
see the thing with our place, is its a rowhome. The way our living room is, 3 of the alls are drywall, and the 4th is brick, so I dont know if that would work. And with us only renting it I dont think the landlord would let us put wires behind the drywall. If I owned the place, then sure I would do that. Ya see what i am running into. Its a little difficult haha

I was in the same boat as you before I got married so I just painted my speaker wire the color of my walls and ceiling and ran it with staples and electric tape. Worked well.

MACH1
08-02-2007, 01:46 PM
I can't remember where I seen it. But theres a wire hider that looks like a small pvc pipe cut in half, its like 3/8"-1/2" and it has sticky tape on the flat side so you could stick it to a base board or in a corner wheres its not to noticeable and its paintable.

Might be able to make something like that yourself.

Buzz05
08-03-2007, 07:30 AM
I can't remember where I seen it. But theres a wire hider that looks like a small pvc pipe cut in half, its like 3/8"-1/2" and it has sticky tape on the flat side so you could stick it to a base board or in a corner wheres its not to noticeable and its paintable.

Thats not a bad idea. I want to do something. I hate when you can see wires. Even though my last place you kinda could. This new place is nicer and I want to keep is looking kinda classy and not like a frat house. That was fine in college but now it just looks tacky. Since I just found out we are getting a dog I am going to have to do somethin, I dont want him eating through my wires.

Hammer67
08-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Thats not a bad idea. I want to do something. I hate when you can see wires. Even though my last place you kinda could. This new place is nicer and I want to keep is looking kinda classy and not like a frat house. That was fine in college but now it just looks tacky. Since I just found out we are getting a dog I am going to have to do somethin, I dont want him eating through my wires.

My dog has left our wires alone....I am lucky in that regard...with my new house, all of our cables are hidden under throw rugs or furniture so it works out nicely. I am finishing the basement and building a 10' x 12' theater room and am going to run all the wire in the walls and floor, including video cables. I want a custom console in between our theater chairs to plug in things like iPods, cameras, etc.

Buzz05
08-03-2007, 08:06 AM
My dog has left our wires alone....I am lucky in that regard...with my new house, all of our cables are hidden under throw rugs or furniture so it works out nicely. I am finishing the basement and building a 10' x 12' theater room and am going to run all the wire in the walls and floor, including video cables. I want a custom console in between our theater chairs to plug in things like iPods, cameras, etc.

That sounds sweet.

Preacher
08-03-2007, 05:45 PM

That is good stuff. You can go to Home Depot and ask for the "Wiremold Cordmate II"

It comes in 5 foot sections, and you can buy corner as well. It cuts with scissors (not nicely, but all cut pieces can be hidden with the corner pieces). Stick it in a cornerand run it up the wall, just below the ceiling, and down to the speaker. The ONLY problem is that it may pull up part of the rock when you pull it off, so ask your Landlord first.

Or, some people here may have a good idea of how to get the stuff off the wall.

Buzz05
08-13-2007, 08:43 AM
So...as of last night my roommate just bought a new 42" Panasonic Plasma. Which I can reap the benefits from. But I do have a question. We know about the cables and allf rom the HD Box to the TV and all that and the special cleaner. But I do have a question. On my surround sound system do I need any special wires to hook it up? All I have are the basic UV cables. My system is about 2 years old and its a Sanyo system 400 Watts. Its not the top of the line but still a pretty good systam that does what I want. Also when I hook it up. And the wire going from the HD Box to the TV has sound and video on it. How will that work with me wanting to hook up my surround? Any information would be great!

P.S. I think we are going to make do for another too weeks with our normal digital box since we are moving Labor Day weekend and will just get everything then.

Hammer67
08-13-2007, 11:18 AM
So...as of last night my roommate just bought a new 42" Panasonic Plasma. Which I can reap the benefits from. But I do have a question. We know about the cables and allf rom the HD Box to the TV and all that and the special cleaner. But I do have a question. On my surround sound system do I need any special wires to hook it up? All I have are the basic UV cables. My system is about 2 years old and its a Sanyo system 400 Watts. Its not the top of the line but still a pretty good systam that does what I want. Also when I hook it up. And the wire going from the HD Box to the TV has sound and video on it. How will that work with me wanting to hook up my surround? Any information would be great!

P.S. I think we are going to make do for another too weeks with our normal digital box since we are moving Labor Day weekend and will just get everything then.

Does your audio receiver have an HDMI port on the back? If it is a home theater type receiver then it should. If so, you only need two cables. 2 HDMI. One from the cable box to the receiver "IN" and one from the receiver "OUT" to the TV.

HDMI cables are great as they carry the video and the audio signal, no need for seperate cables.

If it doesn't, then run one HDMI form the cable box to the TV for video. Then, get an optical cable and run it from the cable box to the receiver for the audio. But, the first scenario is optimal.

Buzz05
08-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Does your audio receiver have an HDMI port on the back? If it is a home theater type receiver then it should. If so, you only need two cables. 2 HDMI. One from the cable box to the receiver "IN" and one from the receiver "OUT" to the TV.

HDMI cables are great as they carry the video and the audio signal, no need for seperate cables.

If it doesn't, then run one HDMI form the cable box to the TV for video. Then, get an optical cable and run it from the cable box to the receiver for the audio. But, the first scenario is optimal.

Alright Ill have to check it out when I get home.

MACH1
08-13-2007, 02:38 PM

If you want surround you may have to run an optical from the cable box to your receiver.

I have the 50" panny plasma and the tv's only output 2 channel sound even from its optical out.

BettisFan
08-13-2007, 02:42 PM
i have 100 inch its nice

Hammer67
08-13-2007, 02:43 PM
If you want surround you may have to run an optical from the cable box to your receiver.

I have the 50" panny plasma and the tv's only output 2 channel sound even from its optical out.

If he runs an HDMI from the cable box to the receiver, then one from the receiver to the TV, he should be set. HDMI passes digital surround channels including DTS and Dolby Digital.\\:wink02:

MACH1
08-13-2007, 02:45 PM
If he runs an HDMI from the cable box to the receiver, then one from the receiver to the TV, he should be set. HDMI passes digital surround channels including DTS and Dolby Digital.\\:wink02:
Your right it does. :dang:

Hammer67
08-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Your right it does. :dang:

Actually...I think that is one of HDMI's biggest pluses...one cable for all. I wish my TV had an HDMI port but I got it a year before that craze. I have a 57" HD Rear Projection. It's a beast but the picture is pristine since I had it calibrated professionally. It's been running strong since 2001 on component cables. I will make the jump to some sort of flat panel when this one eventually dies. So, no HDMI for me in the near future! :(

Preacher
08-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Actually...I think that is one of HDMI's biggest pluses...one cable for all. I wish my TV had an HDMI port but I got it a year before that craze. I have a 57" HD Rear Projection. It's a beast but the picture is pristine since I had it calibrated professionally. It's been running strong since 2001 on component cables. I will make the jump to some sort of flat panel when this one eventually dies. So, no HDMI for me in the near future! :(

that is good to know... We moved into this house a month ago, and I am about to set up the sound system...

Thanks for the info!!