PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu ties NFL record

BB2W
09-19-2005, 12:26 AM
Troy Polamalu's three sacks tied an NFL record for most by a safety in a single game. :celebrate

The most in a season, at least by a Steelers safety, is six by Carnell Lake in 1997.

Koopa
09-19-2005, 12:35 AM
hell going into this game he only had 3 sacks his whole career, damn i can smell many many more sacks coming his way. 2 time pro bowler for sure. i love to watch him play

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2005, 12:39 AM
I was just going to put up a thread about Troy..but I'll just post it in here..

This kid is worth every penny we spent and the draft picks we lost to move up. He's gonna be a pro bowler ever year at this rate.. He's got such instincts and pure talent to go along w/ speed and toughness. He's got it all,and Im glad he's on our side.

Ed Reed who ????????????????????

pitt
09-19-2005, 12:57 AM
He is exciting to watch. Always everywhere on the field at the same time.

Prosdo
09-19-2005, 01:04 AM
Way to go Polamalu! I love watching this guy play!

BB2W
09-19-2005, 01:06 AM
I think he will end his career as a Hall of Famer, and one of the all-time Steeler greats. I think we are getting close to a Supperbowl win, and Troy will be a big part in bringing a championship back to Pittsburgh.

He has all the ability in the world, and I have never seen a player give the effort Troy does each down. He is always going 110%, and never quits. He is in GREAT shape and he just doesn't get tired. He can stuff the run, and defend the pass... he is a playmaker, and a great runner with the ball in his hands. On top of that he is a humble, down to earth, great guy. I can't say enough about Troy.... he is becoming my favorite Steeler.

I can't wait until he is widely recognized as the best saftey in the game. :tt:

SteelR1
09-19-2005, 02:47 AM
Troy certainly is a beast for other teams to handle.. I was watching an interview with him once, he said he never lifts weights over 25 lbs. He has the most unique workout routine there is for an NFL player.

Whatever works,,, HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!

ironcitychef
09-19-2005, 03:08 AM
The only other guy with such a weird workout deal did 500 situps and 500 pushups a day...he was pretty good too. Herschel Walker.

tootalltoscore
09-19-2005, 04:40 AM
I was just going to put up a thread about Troy..but I'll just post it in here..

This kid is worth every penny we spent and the draft picks we lost to move up. He's gonna be a pro bowler ever year at this rate.. He's got such instincts and pure talent to go along w/ speed and toughness. He's got it all,and Im glad he's on our side.

Ed Reed who ????????????????????

An absolute steal, it was said at the start of the season that they wanted to use Troy more in blitzing, at this rate he's going to be a sack leader :bouncy:

Suitanim
09-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Troy is a beast...I think there was some initail concern about him possibly being injury prone, but that strange holistic workout he does must work!

Black-n-Gold
09-19-2005, 12:58 PM
He's the biggest threat for the offenses, and proves it every game. I'm glad to see them starting to use him for the corner-blitzing. He plays so hard every play, and doesn't stop until he has a hand on the opponent. He was reading the quaterback a few times in ways that reminded me of Rod Woodson. He's definitely on his way to being an all-time great.

TasmanianTroy271
09-19-2005, 02:58 PM
Injury Prone? I can't even remember him being listed as Probable! I'm sure Troy'll retire a Steeler and a Hall of Famer, barring a season ending injury or some other unforseen force. I don't see him slumping off in his later years, he may slow down, but his instinct'll just get better, and that'll make up for that.

I love his interceptions, he holds it like a hot potato, lol

clevestinks
09-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Troy is everwhere! You could just see Carr coming to the line play after play, and just looking for him.

ironcitychef
09-20-2005, 02:21 AM
Can anyone tell me what number he is? I thought his hair just covered his name last year? How does the helmet stay on?

Lyn
09-20-2005, 11:19 AM
I heard the hair thing was a religion thing. No idea about the validity of that comment.

Nonetheless, he is in on most every play and I want his and Poter's jersey. I don't think the D gets enough recognition (jersey wise) most fans wear offensive players jerseys. At least I do not own a Defensive players jersey.

Prosdo
09-20-2005, 01:40 PM
I heard the hair thing was a religion thing. No idea about the validity of that comment.

Nonetheless, he is in on most every play and I want his and Poter's jersey. I don't think the D gets enough recognition (jersey wise) most fans wear offensive players jerseys. At least I do not own a Defensive players jersey.

Yeah I have two offensive jerseys of current players. I was looking at maybe getting Polamalu or maybe Farrior.

Blitzburgh55
09-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Go troy :cool:
tom brady better wacth out :busted:

rowedf
09-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Troy was nicked up a lot at USC, I believe thats where the "injury prone" comment came from. It's funny he might turn out just like Curtis Martin. At Pitt he was hurt just about every week, now in the pro's he has been one of the most durable backs.

TasmanianTroy271
09-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Who here thinks Troy'll break that record before the season is through? I do. Screw Ed Reed, Troy'll burn him anyday. How many Safeties are there that can blitz, sack, stuff the run, deflect passes, and run interceptions as well as Troy can? Not to mention the fact that he gives each game is all, and watching him tackle someone is one of the most enjoyable things to watch... :smile:

Like his Jersey says.... P{{{{{{U

{ = his hair in case you didnt get it...

Koopa
09-20-2005, 06:16 PM

i think it is a religion thing because his cousin plays for the college i go to (texas a&m university kingsville) and his hair is just as long and nappy looking. and they look like they are brothers. to bad he ain't half the player troy is but he is decent.

as for defensive jerseys, where i live that's all i see is defensive jerseys. everyone has roy williams or newman jerseys and now i'm starting to see ppl wear duante (sp?) robinson jerseys. and i think in this little town that i'm the only one that has a steelers jersey or at least i'm the only one that sports it with pride, every monday win or lose you can count on me to be wearing something that has the steelers logo, sometimes tuesdays cause i always wear it the day after the game.

SteelProven
09-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Troy kind of reminds me of R. Woodson as far as instinct and aggressivness. I've seen this some where else and I like it so I'll share. Reed to Sanders as Troy is to Woodson, IMO

BB2W
09-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Troy kind of reminds me of R. Woodson as far as instinct and aggressivness. I've seen this some where else and I like it so I'll share. Reed to Sanders as Troy is to Woodson, IMO

It is funny you would say that, check out this article.....

When Dick LeBeau looks at Troy Polamalu, he sees the second coming of Rod Woodson, who just might be the greatest defensive back to ever play for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

LeBeau, the Steelers' innovative defensive coordinator, knows that comparing strong safeties with cornerbacks is like comparing apples to oranges. But in this case, when mentioning Polamalu and Woodson in the same breath, he's talking about a pair of unique talents who can single-handedly change the way opposing offenses try to attack the Steelers.

"Troy is a very special player," LeBeau said. "He's very similar to Rod Woodson in that he has good size and that he can really run fast. He's a very smart football player who really loves the game. I know he makes me a better coach."

link...... http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15241985&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

I.C. Lights
09-21-2005, 07:40 PM
I agree, but I don't think Troy will get over-confident like Woodson used to, which will hopefully make him an even better player in the long run.

Btw, I don't think the hair is religious at all. I'm not aware of any Christian denomination that forbids hair cutting, and I recall reading somewhere that he had short hair for a while but just let it go in college...

TasmanianTroy271
09-21-2005, 08:22 PM
I'm fairly sure he does it as a throwback to his Samoan heritage, and I would be very upset if he ever cut it :P

Koopa
09-21-2005, 09:09 PM
well if i see that dude that is related to polamalu at school next week (classes cancled this week cause we gonna get some of rita) i'll ask him, i won't just bring it up i'll work it into a converstation about the steelers or something. but yeah i do doubt it's a religious thing TasmanianTroy271 is probably right about it being a throwback to the heritage, cause the dude at school sometimes wheres those skirts lookin things to school.

nvm about them lookin alike i don't think they just both have that hair here's his bio from my schools website: http://www.javelinaathletics.com/football/2005/SualuaAoatoa.html

tony hipchest
09-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Injury Prone? I can't even remember him being listed as Probable! I'm sure Troy'll retire a Steeler and a Hall of Famer, barring a season ending injury or some other unforseen force. I don't see him slumping off in his later years, he may slow down, but his instinct'll just get better, and that'll make up for that.

I love his interceptions, he holds it like a hot potato, lol
he had some concussions in college. the way he hits people its not suprising and he may be due for a few more. and to think washington had to spend a #5 pick on sean taylor, supposedly the greatest safety to enter the league in years. let taylor and reed bump their chests and get all the accolades, when all is said and done polamalu should come out on top.

tony hipchest
09-22-2005, 06:17 PM
lebeau has said they were cooking up alot of things for troy in the off season and giving him free reign to roam. infact the d-coord almost seemed like a kid with his new toy on x-mas. (i think lebeau is in pittsburgh for the long haul) what does this mean for troy? he has lined up as a d-lineman in the a-gap, as the mike linebacker, as a cornerback, and as a safety. they installed the "quarter" package (not nickel or dime) that uses him as a 3rd corner. you will not see any other defensive player lining up in all 3 levels of the defense. line... backer...and backfield. he is trully a unique player and i think we are just seeing the tip of the iceburgh. he says he has much to improve on (sounds like ben and willie). he definitely deserves a contract extension and to be a top 5 paid safety in the league. im sure he wont go nowhere. but he will cost $$$$$$. the sack on carr where he turned his back to the line pretending he was running into coverage and spun around to rush was beautiful. i read an article and it hinted that that move was contrived by picking dan kreiders brain on things that would confuse him. it worked to perfection.

did you know troy has said he has never watched a whole football game. he dont like watching it. he was always too busy playing it. hes a doer not a watcher and pittsburgh definitely has a gem.

clevestinks
09-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Troy, is the only player I`ve ever seen, that never stops moving. He is go,go,go,go

Prosdo
09-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Troy is awesome. Cleve you are very right. The guy is everywhere and can be attacking from anywhere. Hope he stays in Pittsburgh for a long long time.

Soldier4Steelers
09-22-2005, 10:23 PM
yeah i cant belive the eagles gave him up. its hard to tell what people who arent steelers fans think of people like troy and ward??? cause i think ward is the best all around and top 5 wr in the league... and i think troy is the best person right now to have in any teams secondary.... werid??

SteelProven
09-22-2005, 10:26 PM
Troy is going to re-invent the way safeties across the league play the game.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Troy is quickly becoming the best safety in the league..but you know he still wont get the coverage he deserves!

Koopa
09-23-2005, 02:11 AM
cause he's like a tim duncan, a great player but not very marketable cause he's quite and keeps to himself so the media won't bother with him cause they won't really get anything good out of him. i love players like that, they don't try to draw attention to themselves they just focus on the team and what they can do to help the team win games

BlitzburghRockCity
09-23-2005, 02:25 AM
Well said..his actions will definately always speak louder than his words !

tony hipchest
09-23-2005, 10:33 AM
lebeau has said they were cooking up alot of things for troy in the off season and giving him free reign to roam. infact the d-coord almost seemed like a kid with his new toy on x-mas. (i think lebeau is in pittsburgh for the long haul) what does this mean for troy? he has lined up as a d-lineman in the a-gap, as the mike linebacker, as a cornerback, and as a safety. they installed the "quarter" package (not nickel or dime) that uses him as a 3rd corner. you will not see any other defensive player lining up in all 3 levels of the defense. line... backer...and backfield. he is trully a unique player and i think we are just seeing the tip of the iceburgh. he says he has much to improve on (sounds like ben and willie). he definitely deserves a contract extension and to be a top 5 paid safety in the league. im sure he wont go nowhere. but he will cost $$$$$$. the sack on carr where he turned his back to the line pretending he was running into coverage and spun around to rush was beautiful. i read an article and it hinted that that move was contrived by picking dan kreiders brain on things that would confuse him. it worked to perfection.

did you know troy has said he has never watched a whole football game. he dont like watching it. he was always too busy playing it. hes a doer not a watcher and pittsburgh definitely has a gem.
sorry i misread. troy lines up at linebacker in the "quarter" package.