PDA

View Full Version : 4 Steelers in the SI's "Hardest Hitters in NFL History"

SteelersMongol
07-25-2007, 10:07 PM
I was just checking out SI's photo gallery for new updates. Out of 25 top hard hitters we've got 4 of ours. :tt02: You guys can go over there and check it out for the photos. And in your opinion, if they were making a list for today's players who do you think would be in it?

8. Joe Greene, Defensive Tackle 1969-1981 Pittsburgh

The cornerstone of Pittsburgh's Steel Curtain defense, Greene was blessed with size, speed, strength, quickness and determination. In 1974, he developed the tactic of lining up at a sharp angle between the guard and center to disrupt their blocking assignments and leave him free to punish the offense.

10. Ernie "Fats" Holmes, Defensive Tackle 1972-1977 Pittsburgh, 1978 New England

Holmes was sometimes overshadowed by his fellow Steel Curtain defenders, but he hit as hard as the rest of them -- and dwarfed most of them in size. "I don't mind knocking somebody out," Holmes said in 1975. "If I hear a moan and a groan coming from a player I've hit, the adrenaline flows within me. I get more energy and play harder."

15. Jack Lambert, Linebacker 1974-1984 Pittsburgh

"Yes, I get satisfaction out of hitting a guy and seeing him lie there a while," the middle linebacker once said. Lambert believed football was designed to "reward the ones who hit the hardest," and used that attitude to help shape and reinforce Pittsburgh's Steel Curtain defense.

22. Donnie Shell, Safety 1974-1987 Pittsburgh

At 5-11 and 190 pounds, Shell was often much smaller than opposing receivers, but he was such a fierce tackler he won battles against many of the best and biggest tight ends and wide receivers. Shell hit people so hard a writer once punned, ''He just leaves 'em Shell-shocked.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0707/all-time.hardest.hitters.nfl/content.1.html

SteelersMongol
07-25-2007, 10:11 PM
CORRECTION. Sorry, there is a list already for hard hitters of present day players. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0707/top10.hitters.today.nfl/content.1.html My bad. :dang: And there are two Ratbirds in the top ten. Their bad. :wink02: But we can still talk about Steelers hard hitters. :bouncy:

steel-EERS
07-25-2007, 10:16 PM
I always thought Greg Lloyd was explosive, I know he knocked snot bubbles outta Bret Favre's ear hole on more than one occaision! Ask Earl Campbell about Shell, betcha he's number one on Earl's list.

The Duke
07-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Seems good. In some years anthony smith will be there too :cheers:

tony hipchest
07-25-2007, 10:19 PM
brett favre has seen alot of players in his day. im pretty sure if you ask him he will say greg lloyd.

nevermind the fact that lloyd held a black belt in tae kwon do. in a pre season game he hit favre so hard, he knocked him back 5 yards through the air, (watch the replays- its no exaggeration) broke his jaw, and kick started a year long addiction to vicodin.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Lloyd was a hard hitter.

In a few years,we'll be seeing Woodley on that list just obliterating QB's.

Preacher
07-26-2007, 12:34 AM
brett favre has seen alot of players in his day. im pretty sure if you ask him he will say greg lloyd.

nevermind the fact that lloyd held a black belt in tae kwon do. in a pre season game he hit favre so hard, he knocked him back 5 yards through the air, (watch the replays- its no exaggeration) broke his jaw, and kick started a year long addiction to vicodin.

I forgot about that.

Yep. What really ticked me off, If I remember right, was that he was fined and even suspended, when he came forward, said that he was addicted to pain killers, and that he was checking himself in for help.

tony hipchest
07-26-2007, 01:43 AM
I forgot about that.

Yep. What really ticked me off, If I remember right, was that he was fined and even suspended, when he came forward, said that he was addicted to pain killers, and that he was checking himself in for help.
brett favre was still a great qb, even as he was vomiting painkillers into the toilet and fishing them out, only to take them again. after checking himself in, he kicked the habit, became even better, and won a sb in the same year.

like favre, lloyd had his own transgressions. i only hope lloyd can go on to be a "champion" in life. :cheers:

yinzer-inseattle
07-26-2007, 02:08 AM
CORRECTION. Sorry, there is a list already for hard hitters of present day players. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0707/top10.hitters.today.nfl/content.1.html My bad. :dang: And there are two Ratbirds in the top ten. Their bad. :wink02: But we can still talk about Steelers hard hitters. :bouncy:

The present day list is all defensive guys. I would put Hines up there against any of them. He's a ruthless blocker unafraid to take on anyone regardless of size. Plus he doesn't just pile on like some others on the list :smile:

Preacher
07-26-2007, 02:25 AM
brett favre was still a great qb, even as he was vomiting painkillers into the toilet and fishing them out, only to take them again. after checking himself in, he kicked the habit, became even better, and won a sb in the same year.

like favre, lloyd had his own transgressions. i only hope lloyd can go on to be a "champion" in life. :cheers:

I agree...

I have never liked Favre.. but I have always respected what he has done on the field. He has had and done some amazing things and moments...

Galax Steeler
07-26-2007, 04:43 AM
Hands down greg lloyd

dhosmer
07-26-2007, 10:04 AM
avoid lloyd

fansince'76
07-26-2007, 10:49 AM
In a few years,we'll be seeing Woodley on that list just obliterating QB's.

Wishful thinking - in a few years time, QBs will be completely off limits, the way the rules to protect them keep getting more and more out of hand.

Preacher
07-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Wishful thinking - in a few years time, QBs will be completely off limits, the way the rules to protect them keep getting more and more out of hand.

Yep. That is what happens the league becomes a business with a product to sell rather then a sport.

Just look at what is happening to hockey.

It used to be great. Now it is turning into basketball on ice.

rog
07-26-2007, 01:37 PM

The crazy thing about this is they are also getting so big you got 240 to 260 lb QBs playing now. I think the should be able to take a big hit considering some of them are bigger than WRs and thoughs guys are going across the middle.

Preacher
07-26-2007, 01:44 PM
The crazy thing about this is they are also getting so big you got 240 to 260 lb QBs playing now. I think the should be able to take a big hit considering some of them are bigger than WRs and thoughs guys are going across the middle.

Maybe. But think about it this way. The Colts are playing the Pats on MNF. Now... you find out that a key player is injured for both teams...

If it is Marvin and Moss... you still watch right?

What if it is Manning and Brady? The draw just won't be there.

The NFL is protecting its money sources... QB's.

rog
07-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Maybe. But think about it this way. The Colts are playing the Pats on MNF. Now... you find out that a key player is injured for both teams...

If it is Marvin and Moss... you still watch right?

What if it is Manning and Brady? The draw just won't be there.

The NFL is protecting its money sources... QB's.

What if it's Brady? Don't tease me like that.

Stlrs4Life
07-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Cliff Harris above Jack Lambert? Whatever.

SteelersMongol
07-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Cliff Harris above Jack Lambert? Whatever.

Yeah, SI likes to play dumb with us. Or it's either they like to play favorites. :wink02: Suckers.

AvoidLLoyd95
07-26-2007, 11:12 PM
avoid lloyd

Back in the day, it was tough to......

Elvis
07-28-2007, 09:16 AM
That was a pretty nice list of hitters no doubt in my mind. As far as Lloyd being on that list... I think that he could have been.
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

LambertIsGod58
07-29-2007, 08:51 PM
I agree...

I have never liked Favre.. but I have always respected what he has done on the field. He has had and done some amazing things and moments...

I don't know how anyone couldn't like Favre....

SteelDogFan
07-29-2007, 10:22 PM
The Steelers have had a lot of great tacklers but if we are going to pick the hardest hitter I also have to say it was Greg Lloyd

sumo
08-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Donnie Shell is the hardest hitter I have ever seen wearing the black and gold

Preacher
08-01-2007, 01:20 AM

He's not a Steeler... and not a Seahawk (yeah... that was my second team for years).

The Duke
08-01-2007, 01:31 AM

No idea, beside the steelers I don't like any team, but I always root for Favre

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-01-2007, 05:06 AM
Donnie Shell is the hardest hitter I have ever seen wearing the black and gold

I still remember alot of WR's pulling up short with a serious case of "alligator arms" when they saw Shell flying at them out of the corner of their eye.

But I still got to give points to Lambert for sheer intimidation factor....How many of us remember him bent over....bouncing around the the balls of his feet...snorting....just ready to tear someones head off.

Kittyfish
08-01-2007, 08:37 AM
But I still got to give points to Lambert for sheer intimidation factor....How many of us remember him bent over....bouncing around the the balls of his feet...snorting....just ready to tear someones head off.I am not as up on my history as most of you, being a new-ish fan, but I gotta say that Lambert always freaked me the heck out (in a good way, since he was playing for our side). He seems like a nice enough guy in his interviews and all, but it also seemed like he turned into an animal once he was on the field. Scariest player I have ever seen, in my limited experience.

SCSTILLER
08-01-2007, 09:33 AM
I think that Lloyd belongs in that club, no doubt about it!

I know that this was not a hit per say, but remember when Rod Woodson picked up the WR/TE and threw him into the RB knocking the running back to the ground. That was one of my favorite defensive plays of all time. Don't remember who they were playing.

sumo
08-02-2007, 12:41 AM
I still remember alot of WR's pulling up short with a serious case of "alligator arms" when they saw Shell flying at them out of the corner of their eye.

But I still got to give points to Lambert for sheer intimidation factor....How many of us remember him bent over....bouncing around the the balls of his feet...snorting....just ready to tear someones head off.

No doubt - Lambert was incredible, but he was more the athletic pure tackler - his hit on Dorsett during the SB when he flew threw a tiny crease in the line and dropped him for a loss and said "that ought to cool your ass down!" - that was vintage Lambert - taking the angles - never missing a tackle .. Shell was more reckless and he always seemed to run through people when he hit them. But it's always hard comparing members of that team

Preacher
08-02-2007, 02:26 AM
I gotta say...

Eugene Robinson should be in there as well...

When he was a Seahawk.... I saw him hit a guy one time... He seemed to fly across the TV screen... at least 2 to 3 yards... laid out flat in the air, and hit a WR so hard, the guy folded in half and flipped over backwards.. broke both wrists of the guy with the hit as well..

it was unreal.

charlie martel
08-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Mel Blount shouldn't be forgotten about when it comes to hard hitters.

Godfather
08-05-2007, 04:46 PM
I always thought Greg Lloyd was explosive, I know he knocked snot bubbles outta Bret Favre's ear hole on more than one occaision! Ask Earl Campbell about Shell, betcha he's number one on Earl's list.

I was at the preseason game in Three Rivers where Lloyd got fined for the hit on Favre.

Missed the play because it was just outside my binoculars.