PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Haggans wants new contract

83-Steelers-43
07-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Steelers' Haggans wants a new deal
Wednesday, Jul 25, 2007 8:31 pm EDT

A day after the Pittsburgh Steelers signed Troy Polamalu to a five-year contract extension, linebacker Clark Haggans said he remains hopeful that he can work out a deal with the organization. Haggans, 30, is in the final year of his contract.

He is slated to start at left outside linebacker, but the Steelers may opt to let him leave as a free agent after this season since they also have rookie LaMarr Woodley at the position. Woodley, a second-round draft pick, has impressed the Steelers with his physical play and his ability to pick things up.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Steelers-Haggans-wants-a-new-deal?urn=nfl,40405

83-Steelers-43
07-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Judging that we just drafted two LB's, I think Clark's days are numbered in Pittsburgh.

fansince'76
07-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Does the F.O. negotiate during TC, or is their moratorium on contract negotiations only during the regular season?

RoethlisBURGHer
07-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Regular season is the moratorium.

I see us letting Haggans walk.Another OLB on the wrong side of 30 with declining stats.

tony hipchest
07-25-2007, 10:46 PM
"Hopefully something will get worked out," Haggans said. "I don't want to go anywhere. I love it here."

...and this was after the 1st day of camp. he's still got gas in the tank. i know we dont give guys over 30 extensions or new deals which makes the big money aaron smith quietly got even more suprising.

the question for haggans is if he loves it as much as jerome or if he loves it as much as faneca? (the patriots are more likely to offer him more $$$ next year)

ward, haggans, faneca, kreider, wilson, batch, clark, tuman, okolbi, could all be asking themselves the same question next year. (wow, thats ALOT of capspace)

83-Steelers-43
07-25-2007, 10:49 PM
ward, haggans, faneca, kreider, wilson, batch, clark, tuman, okolbi, could all be asking themselves the same question next year. (wow, thats ALOT of capspace)

You could possibly add Starks and Simmons to that list.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-25-2007, 11:01 PM

Ward- I see him taking a cut in pay to remain a Steeler.

Haggans- Wrong side of 30,declining stats,will probally be giving up a starting spot to Woodley.I don't see him returning unless he's willing to take less and be a backup.

Faneca- We all know Big Red is gone after this year.

Kreider- I think he'll be a Steeler for life.He's mainly a roaming lineman,pancaking anyone who gets near him in a different colored jersey.They don't make big dollars.

Wilson- I can't wait until we get rid of this waste of a roster spot.I don't know how many balls fell through his "hands" and right into a defender's for an INT last year.he got a ring (possibly two if we win it all again this year) out of his time here,after we release him he'll either retire or become a Brown or Patriot.

Batch- This one is complicated.He's from Pittsburgh,grew up a Steelers fan.I am sure he'd have no problem backing up Ben and winning another ring or two making less money.However,I also can see him wanting to make an attempt at reviving his career as a starter somewhere.The possibility is there that we trade him to Atlanta for one of thier second round draft picks.

Clark- I think he'd want to start instead of backing up Anthony Smith,so he'd be released or traded.

Tuman- He knows all he can be is a second TE in this league.As long as he produces when asked to,he'll be in the Black and Gold.

Okobi- All depends on if he wins the center battle in TC.If he wins it,I think he's in the fold.If he loses,this may be his last year as a Steeler.

The Duke
07-25-2007, 11:04 PM
If he really wants to stay here maybe he'll end up taking a smaller contract. I hope he stays, he could be a perfect backup for Woodley, and for either side of the outside linebackers

tony hipchest
07-25-2007, 11:06 PM
You could possibly add Starks and Simmons to that list.yeah, i was gonna add them (neither will stay for their current salary) but im pretty sure they make the least amount of $$$ on that list.

i looked at it the other day and i think simmons only makes $770,000/ year on his rookie contract. starks is easilly under 2 mil. let them walk along with the aformentioned and we have plenty of cap room to do just about whatever tomlin wants.

i sure hate the thought of m. bulger and t. romo dictating big bens asking price though.

The Duke
07-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Ward- I see him taking a cut in pay to remain a Steeler.

Haggans- Wrong side of 30,declining stats,will probally be giving up a starting spot to Woodley.I don't see him returning unless he's willing to take less and be a backup.

Faneca- We all know Big Red is gone after this year.

Kreider- I think he'll be a Steeler for life.He's mainly a roaming lineman,pancaking anyone who gets near him in a different colored jersey.They don't make big dollars.

Wilson- I can't wait until we get rid of this waste of a roster spot.I don't know how many balls fell through his "hands" and right into a defender's for an INT last year.he got a ring (possibly two if we win it all again this year) out of his time here,after we release him he'll either retire or become a Brown or Patriot.

Batch- This one is complicated.He's from Pittsburgh,grew up a Steelers fan.I am sure he'd have no problem backing up Ben and winning another ring or two making less money.However,I also can see him wanting to make an attempt at reviving his career as a starter somewhere.The possibility is there that we trade him to Atlanta for one of thier second round draft picks.

Clark- I think he'd want to start instead of backing up Anthony Smith,so he'd be released or traded.

Tuman- He knows all he can be is a second TE in this league.As long as he produces when asked to,he'll be in the Black and Gold.

Okobi- All depends on if he wins the center battle in TC.If he wins it,I think he's in the fold.If he loses,this may be his last year as a Steeler.

Can't wait for a headline next offseason that says "Cedric Wilson Released":sofunny:. I really hope Kreider stays, he's worth a fair contract and like you said, fullbacks aren't paid much, so probably the steelers will come to an agreement with him in 2008

steelpride12
07-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Sadly i think Haggans will be let go, but i wish we would re-sign him. i have been a big fan of his for a long time and see him as an underated LB, but woodley has so much talent and i can't wait to see what he's got!

tony hipchest
07-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Can't wait for a headline next offseason that says "Cedric Wilson Released":sofunny:. I really hope Kreider stays, he's worth a fair contract and like you said, fullbacks aren't paid much, so probably the steelers will come to an agreement with him in 2008falcons just gave baltimores FB an $18 million dollar deal. kreider is still easilly regarded as a top 5 fb. recent coaching changes w/ the steelers suggest a possible phasing out of the fb as a prominent role in the steelers offense. j. kuhn costs half as much. krieder will be a free agent.

kreider got the job in the exact same way, when jeromes fb (and one of his best friends- j. williams?) was let go. remember, jerome would always follow him out of the tunnel as a ritual?

krieder only has a few years left in his career where he must decide if he will play for good fb money or pretty much the league veteran minimum with the steelers.

the steelers wont pay an old man more for a lesser role in an evolving offense. especially if big bad john kuhn impresses tomlin in camp

The Duke
07-25-2007, 11:33 PM
falcons just gave baltimores FB an $18 million dollar deal.

:jawdrop: All that just for Vick to run :sofunny:

krieder only has a few years left in his career where he must decide if he will play for good fb money or pretty much the league veteran minimum with the steelers.

Hope this happens, although if Kuhn does impress it would be different, no one carries 2 fullbacks on a roster right

Edman
07-26-2007, 02:01 AM
This is just a rumor...right?

But if it's true, Haggans is seriously kidding himself, unfortunately. I'm afraid he'll have to be let go too. I appreciate his brief stint at LB for us.

jjpro11
07-26-2007, 02:04 AM
everyones just got to realize that our core guys from early in this decade are just getting older and leaving. we've already seen porter go and hartings retire just this year. next in line are guys like haggans, faneca, kreider, townsend, farrior, ward. these guys are giving way to the new generation of steelers.. ben, holmes, timmons, woodley, mcfadden, parker, taylor, polamalu, smith, miller, etc.. although guys like ward and farrior are good guys to hold on to because of their veteran leadership as the younger guys set in. both are still producing quite well also.

Galax Steeler
07-26-2007, 04:48 AM
I think Haggans has seen his last years in the burgh.

rog
07-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Hagans is going to be gone along with Faneca but I think the big signing bonus Ward had got a couple of years back will definatly help inthe decision to take a salary cut. Considering a huge signing bonus and a multi year contract isn't really in the cards for a WR his age.

dhosmer
07-26-2007, 02:43 PM
kreider got the job in the exact same way, when jeromes fb (and one of his best friends- j. williams?) was let go. remember, jerome would always follow him out of the tunnel as a ritual?

You mean Jon Witman?

Jman
07-26-2007, 02:46 PM
It would be good to see Dan Kreider stay B&G til the end...

Wilson...Well...yea I think enough has been said...

Haggans - I like Clark Haggans, so we'll see where that goes. It would be a shame to see him end up elsewhere.

Clark - Not too sure if I care where Ryan Clark ends up. Anthony Smith is, well, very put a beast. I like what I see in him at FS.

rog
07-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Anthony Smith is going to decide if Clark stays or goes by his play. With that said I don't think Clark has much of a chance to stay.

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't think Clark has much of a chance to stay.

With Clark recently taking a cut in pay, I don't see the Steelers letting him go this season. Plus, having some nice depth at the position is a must. Your going to need him. That's assuming Anthony Smith beats him out.

yinzer-inseattle
07-26-2007, 03:01 PM
You mean Jon Witman?

And before that Tim Lester went out the same way.

Preacher
07-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Anthony Smith is going to decide if Clark stays or goes by his play. With that said I don't think Clark has much of a chance to stay.

I see clark staying... if anyone goes, it will probably be our other SS, though I can't remember his dang name right now...

Clark can play SS as well, and would back up both positions pretty well.

Livinginthe past
07-26-2007, 04:28 PM
I see clark staying... if anyone goes, it will probably be our other SS, though I can't remember his dang name right now...

Clark can play SS as well, and would back up both positions pretty well.

Tyrone Carter?

Mike Logan?

Preacher
07-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Tyrone Carter?

Mike Logan?

Carter...

Thanks

Stlrs4Life
07-26-2007, 05:56 PM
...and this was after the 1st day of camp. he's still got gas in the tank. i know we dont give guys over 30 extensions or new deals which makes the big money aaron smith quietly got even more suprising.

the question for haggans is if he loves it as much as jerome or if he loves it as much as faneca? (the patriots are more likely to offer him more $$$ next year)

I agree, Clark still has it in him. And we need depth at the position anyway. And I don't see Haggans asking for alot of money to stay either.

Jman
07-26-2007, 06:02 PM

Quite possibly....

Back to Clark... I feel it would be a loss. The man is 3rd in tackles last year behind who? Farrior and Foote - and being that these are the MLBs, and the Steelers insist on stopping the run, it's understandable they would be above him. Clearly, he is an effective LB.

Preacher
07-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Let me post the original write-up...

A day after the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/pit/) signed Troy Polamalu (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6352/) to a five-year contract extension, linebacker Clark Haggans (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5166/) said he remains hopeful that he can work out a deal with the organization. Haggans, 30, is in the final year of his contract.

This sure doesn't sound like a "give me money" issue. I think it is more of... okay, what can we do so I can stay here, but still keep a semblance of my lifestyle that I currently enjoy.

I think he signs... and becomes a great backup over the next couple of years.

revefsreleets
07-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Just for clarification (I saw someone post that Clark's stay was brief in the Burgh), we drafted Clark Haggans out of Colorado State in the 5th Rd in 2000. He was one of those guys who sat and learned and prospered. I want to keep him if we can, and pay him well for his loyalty. You can play LB in the NFL into your mid-30's effectively, and I don't think other teams will overpay for a guy like him.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Let me post the original write-up...

This sure doesn't sound like a "give me money" issue. I think it is more of... okay, what can we do so I can stay here, but still keep a semblance of my lifestyle that I currently enjoy.

I think he signs... and becomes a great backup over the next couple of years.

I agree with you Preacher about Haggans.....I also think Clark is better suited to be backup/spot player.....That one year he had 6.5 sacks as a backup/spot starter.......Even with those young studs at LB you still need depth and Haggans would provide that...Plus he would know the defense....

SteelCityMan786
07-26-2007, 07:46 PM
I say keep haggans just to help be of veteran leadership for awhile

Preacher
07-26-2007, 08:04 PM
I agree with you Preacher about Haggans.....I also think Clark is better suited to be backup/spot player.....That one year he had 6.5 sacks as a backup/spot starter.......Even with those young studs at LB you still need depth and Haggans would provide that...Plus he would know the defense....

Exactly.

Stability and depth... and another link from our hardcore LB's of the past to our harcore LB's of the future.

WWIIOwheelz
07-26-2007, 08:08 PM
I suppose it's just the old Steeler fan in me, but after hearing about Troy's new contract, I guess I'm prepared to lose a bunch of familiar names when it comes time to extend contracts. Haggans was the classic overachiever surrounded by great players. Farrior raised the bar for everyone around him.

Preacher
07-26-2007, 08:24 PM
I suppose it's just the old Steeler fan in me, but after hearing about Troy's new contract, I guess I'm prepared to lose a bunch of familiar names when it comes time to extend contracts. Haggans was the classic overachiever surrounded by great players. Farrior raised the bar for everyone around him.

too true.

Remember in the mid 90's, when it seemed we were ALWAYS playing with LAST YEARS 2nd string, yet we kept winning?

fansince'76
07-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Remember in the mid 90's, when it seemed we were ALWAYS playing with LAST YEARS 2nd string, yet we kept winning?

All too well - it finally caught up to us in '98 though, and it took us another 3 years after that to get untracked again. Thank God for Heinz Field or the clubhouse would probably still have a revolving door on it.

The Duke
07-26-2007, 08:49 PM
I suppose it's just the old Steeler fan in me, but after hearing about Troy's new contract, I guess I'm prepared to lose a bunch of familiar names when it comes time to extend contracts.

True, so let's enjoy those players while we can

Jman
07-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Just for clarification (I saw someone post that Clark's stay was brief in the Burgh), we drafted Clark Haggans out of Colorado State in the 5th Rd in 2000. He was one of those guys who sat and learned and prospered. I want to keep him if we can, and pay him well for his loyalty. You can play LB in the NFL into your mid-30's effectively, and I don't think other teams will overpay for a guy like him.

Other teams won't pay big money for Haggans. Is he solid? Absolutely. Is he worth a 8-10 mil in the next deal? Well... I think he could land a decent contract in Pittsburgh and do well for himself. Townsend has had a decent stay even at his age. :tt02:

revefsreleets
07-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Other teams won't pay big money for Haggans. Is he solid? Absolutely. Is he worth a 8-10 mil in the next deal? Well... I think he could land a decent contract in Pittsburgh and do well for himself. Townsend has had a decent stay even at his age. :tt02:

Put it this way. If the Steelers win the Super Bowl this year, Haggins will sigh a HUGE deal with some semi-sucky team, and he'll be happy he didn't sign a deal for what he's actually worth with the Steelers.

Jman
07-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Put it this way. If the Steelers win the Super Bowl this year, Haggins will sigh a HUGE deal with some semi-sucky team, and he'll be happy he didn't sign a deal for what he's actually worth with the Steelers.

What makes you say that?

RoethlisBURGHer
07-26-2007, 09:49 PM
I was looking at our LB corps today,and here is what I was thinking:

I think Tomlin will want to keep everyone fresh.So even if Haggans were to take a smaller contract to stay in Pittsburgh,he wouldn't be a non-factor backup like on many teams.I think he'd see plenty of playing time.

The thing is,he's on the wrong side of 30...and we all know how linebackers on that side of 30 are discarded in The Burgh.If he doesn't have a very good season,and if he gets replaced by Woodley,I don't see the Steelers making much of an offer to keep him.

Jman
07-26-2007, 09:51 PM
The thing is,he's on the wrong side of 30...and we all know how linebackers on that side of 30 are discarded in The Burgh.If he doesn't have a very good season,and if he gets replaced by Woodley,I don't see the Steelers making much of an offer to keep him.

This is true. So you feel if he takes a pay-cut he could swing it in the burg?

RoethlisBURGHer
07-26-2007, 10:02 PM
This is true. So you feel if he takes a pay-cut he could swing it in the burg?

If he takes a pay cut after having a pretty good season,then yeah I think he can be resigned by the Steelers.

However,if one of these two scenereos happen:

1. He has a good season and wants what will probally be his only big payday.It won't come from the Steelers,it'll come from a team like the Cardinals.

2. He has a bad season and gets replaced by Woodley.If this happens,I have a hard time seeing the Steelers resigning him,even kinda cheap.

Jman
07-26-2007, 10:13 PM
He has a bad season and gets replaced by Woodley.If this happens,I have a hard time seeing the Steelers resigning him,even kinda cheap.

Ohhhh - this is a good point. I guess the next question is how quick they would be to have Woodley test the waters on the field. It seems there is quite the hype around this rookie and all of it, positive. I'm very curious to see what they do in this case.

In any case, either way, the Steelers will be fine with or without Haggans. It will probably come down to money.

ChronoCross
07-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Haggins at the later ends and probably another 4 years easily in his tank will probably go for a big pay day before he retires. Loyalty is only in a handful of players anymore, and I doubt he stays around. And with the only two OLBers making big noise in practice being Harrison and Woodley, and having a new coach there is a chance that we see some of Woodley starting off the season to him possible stealing Haggins job if he does not get to the QB constant. Cowher would stick with players even when they were not getting the job done. I hope Tomlin is different and plays the best players to give us the better chance to win and not to put himself in a hump were it takes him years to get to the SB because he keeps playing this player when there is a better backup waiting to play. Like it has been said all jobs are on the table right now with the new coach.

WWIIOwheelz
07-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Funny that I was thinking the exact same thing about prospective teams picking him up. The first place that pops into my mind almost always is Arizona. LOL

Steeler fans think waaay too much alike :)