PDA

View Full Version : odell thurman suspended another year

tony hipchest
07-26-2007, 11:49 AM
:toofunny:http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6142

Even before the Bengals held their first team meeting of the season, the NFL stunned them with Thursday's decision to lengthen Odell Thurman's suspension for another year, according to a Bengals press release. He may reapply for reinstatement after the 2007 season.

Thurman had been expecting to be reinstated in time for the start of training camp, which opens Thursday with the Bengals reporting in preparation for Friday's first practice. For the past month, Safarrah Lawson, one of Thurman's representatives, has been saying that Thurman met all the requirements of the league's substance abuse policy.
LOL. they tacked on another year just for him being an idiot i guess. i bet chris henry puked as soon as he heard the news.

poor bunglefans. thats what they get for wishing a suspension on good guy joey porter for performing a community service.

"save a horse, punch a bengal"

:yeehaw:

CantStop85
07-26-2007, 11:51 AM
This is the biggest bull**** I've ever seen. Odell Thurman has to sit out 2 years for failing two drug tests? He already served his one year suspension...let him back in the league already.

This is ridiculous...Pac Man paralyzes someone and no telling what else and gets a year suspension. Odell Thurman fails a couple of drug tests and is basically banned for life? And you can't tell me he's done anything worse than Chris Henry.

Roger Goodell needs to get the stick out of his @$$.

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 11:53 AM
LOL, this is excellent news. :cheers::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::cheers:

I would say this decision might make Chris Henry think twice before he decides to get arrested again, but it's Chris Henry.

fansince'76
07-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Was there a specific reason why the suspension was extended? Did he violate the terms of his possible reinstatement going into 2007?

tony hipchest
07-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Was there a specific reason why the suspension was extended? Did he violate the terms of his possible reinstatement going into 2007?:hunch: hes probably still drinking and got caught. i bet you marvin lewis had a 12 pack on ice to welcome him back to the team.

goodell is on a roll today though. he also told adam jones he cant come to training camp.

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Well let's see the scumbags list.....

In the 06 season he was suspended the first four games for violating the substance abuse policy.

Later in 06 he was arrested for operating a vehicle while impaired. He blew a .17 (more than twice the legal limit).

On June 5 of 07 he was wanted for assault. Those charges were conveniently 'dropped'.

tony hipchest
07-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Roger Goodell needs to get the stick out of his @$$. :blah: or the bengals need to just stop drafting scum.

but i agree...throw henry, jones, thugman, and vick out of the league for good, and then let the law deal with them in an appropriate manner.

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 12:11 PM
I probably left out another arrest or two on the P.O.S. Feel free to add on if there are more.

CantStop85
07-26-2007, 12:11 PM
I have the feeling that this wouldn't have happened had Vick not gotten into trouble.

fansince'76
07-26-2007, 12:16 PM
I have the feeling that this wouldn't have happened had Vick not gotten into trouble.

....or if Odell could keep himself out of trouble.

tony hipchest
07-26-2007, 12:20 PM
I have the feeling that this wouldn't have happened had Vick not gotten into trouble.youre probably right. odells and henrys 1st suspension obviously didnt sink into some players skulls. (q-bert jones and mike vick obviously werent deterred).

however didnt goodell personally go to cincinatti and talk to the bungles a few days before thurman got arrested again? talk about pissing in the new commish's face...

regardless of the heavy hand or what is fair, the bengals deserve it and so does vick. theyre trashing up the league. its rather embarassing.

i gotta think odell wasnt being as good as he had all the bengalfans believing though. you know he was still drinking and smoking it up. henry's gonna get more time too. these guys lack self control. its just a matter of time.

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 12:23 PM
http://www.bagofnothing.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/jail_cell.jpeg

The NFL should just round up Vick, Jones, Thurman and Henry and they can spend a few seasons in here. They can learn arts and crafts (make the perfect crack pipe), they can learn how to share (drugs), they can learn pokey (if Henry doesn't know it already). That should keep all of them occupied during the offseason and during the regular season.

Also, Reverend Marvin Lewis won't have to worry about police profiling. Dogs will be safer. Underage girls will be safer. Drivers who are not drunk and hopped up on God only knows what will be safer on our roads. Strips bars will be safer.

See, problem solved. Oh and I almost forgot. Enjoy your second regular season off Odell!!! I'm sure this will do wonders with your progress as an NFL LB'er. :wave::toofunny:

rbryan
07-26-2007, 12:32 PM
This is the biggest bull**** I've ever seen. Odell Thurman has to sit out 2 years for failing two drug tests? He already served his one year suspension...let him back in the league already.

This is ridiculous...Pac Man paralyzes someone and no telling what else and gets a year suspension. Odell Thurman fails a couple of drug tests and is basically banned for life? And you can't tell me he's done anything worse than Chris Henry.
Roger Goodell needs to get the stick out of his @$$.

Who said your boy CH will be back next year?? Odds are pretty good that you can say bye bye to both of them.

Theres a new Sheriff in town, and his name isn't Reggie Hammond.

CantStop85
07-26-2007, 12:37 PM
....or if Odell could keep himself out of trouble.

But that's the thing...he did keep himself out of trouble. He complied with all of the requirements to be reinstated. He'd been working for a construction company while he was suspended.

The only thing that came up since the first suspension was the assault situation where the charges were dropped before anything even materialized.

If you want to suspend him for a season for violating the drug policy and having a DUI, fine...that's fair. But, you can't just suspend him for another season for absolutely no reason.

I have to believe (hope) that either Odell's lawyers or the players association will have something to say about it.

tony hipchest
07-26-2007, 12:38 PM
See, problem solved. Oh and I almost forgot. Enjoy your second regular season off Odell!!! I'm sure this will do wonders with your progress as an NFL LB'er. :wave::toofunny:
:sofunny:

as a steelerfan i can even imagine, but actually wonder what must be worse for bunglefans:

to see players like warric, kijana, a. smith, klingler who you know are immediate busts, or to get teased for a whole year with a player who shows so much promise and upside, only to have them turn into a bust overnight?

its a shame for pollack. he didnt deserve to get drafted by "the curse".

time to hang up the cleats, thurman, and call it a career :jammin: rock on goodell!

CantStop85
07-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Who said your boy CH will be back next year?? Odds are pretty good that you can say bye bye to both of them.

Theres a new Sheriff in town, and his name isn't Reggie Hammond.

Assuming Chris Henry doesn't get in trouble again, he should be back by week 10 of this season...that is if Goodell doesn't issue another phantom suspension.

tony hipchest
07-26-2007, 12:44 PM
But that's the thing...he did keep himself out of trouble. He complied with all of the requirements to be reinstated. how do you know this is true though? just because his representative said so? :chuckle:

what else is the rep gonna say? "odell has been partying and smoking dope so dont bother, mr. goodell". i hope the players union get involved too, and roger throws odells most recent urine sample in their face. even theyre getting sick of being forced to protect thugs.

Preacher
07-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Assuming Chris Henry doesn't get in trouble again, he should be back by week 10 of this season...that is if Goodell doesn't issue another phantom suspension.

Mark my words... If this was a player on our team... I would be saying toss him now.

However the difference is... he would no longer have been a player on our team. Our history proves that.

CantStop85
07-26-2007, 01:19 PM
how do you know this is true though? just because his representative said so? :chuckle:

what else is the rep gonna say? "odell has been partying and smoking dope so dont bother, mr. goodell". i hope the players union get involved too, and roger throws odells most recent urine sample in their face. even theyre getting sick of being forced to protect thugs.

I don't know that it's true. But, I also have no reason to believe that it's not true. You would think that someone would've said something had he failed another drug test or something.

The whole situation seems fishy to me...it makes Goodell look like he's gone on a power trip.

rog
07-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Assuming Chris Henry doesn't get in trouble again, he should be back by week 10 of this season....

Assuming? Don't you mean hoping and praying.

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 01:39 PM
time to hang up the cleats, thurman, and call it a career :jammin: rock on goodell!

That's the truth. You can't hang in that league after sitting two seasons while being a thug punk. It's a shame really. Maybe if he was drafted by a team who took off-field problems in a serious manner it wouldn't have gotten this far. But this is the price you pay when you draft these type of guys in the first place and then turn around and give them leniency.

I've said it a hundred times. That franchise is a joke and will remain a joke as long as they continue on this path. Draft all the troubled talent you want, it doesn't mean a damn thing if they can't stay out of trouble for longer than two years or even two months.

rog
07-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Another Bengal suspension or 2 and Marvin Lewis is going to be calling Goodell out for profiling.

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Another Bengal suspension or 2 and Marvin Lewis is going to be calling Goodell out for profiling.

Of course, when you lack leadership ability, blame others. It worked for Gen. Braxton Bragg. If I were Goodell I would simply print out the 'book' of arrests and other incidents involving players on that team over the years and tell Marvin to read it front to back. Hell, one player on that roster has a rap sheet longer than the rap sheets of all the inmates housed in San Quentin combined.

Preacher
07-26-2007, 02:09 PM

Sadly, some of the Bengal fans on the net are basically doing that now...

Go google this story, and then read the posts underneath them.

X-Terminator
07-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Sadly, some of the Bengal fans on the net are basically doing that now...

Which, of course, should surprise no one.

Anything to win, right Bengal fans?

fansince'76
07-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Sadly, some of the Bengal fans on the net are basically doing that now....

Here was a particularly choice comment:

We have people like Pacman Jones and Michael Vick in the league who have done far worse things, and yet, Odell Thurman takes the beating. He's served his time, and he hasn't done anything wrong since being suspended! He was reapplying for reinstatement at the wrong time with the Vick scandal at the forefront. Roger Goodell is an idiot. Shame on you!

Yep, it's all Vick's fault now. :rolleyes:

Here's another great one:

Goodell is not welcome in Cincinnati and i hope more NFL scandals (ala NBAs referee scandal) are on the horizon to make his life miserable.

:dang: :dang: :dang:

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Goodell is not welcome in Cincinnati and i hope more NFL scandals (ala NBAs referee scandal) are on the horizon to make his life miserable.

That's a classy comment. Let's hope that the league becomes crooked and soaked with refs on the take because our organization is pure scum from the top on down. Way to keep up that reputation of being great football fans Cincinnati. :thumbsup:

Thank God I don't live in that city.

Jman
07-26-2007, 02:42 PM
If you talk to Marvin Lewis...He thinks the police profile his players...Maybe he now thinks the league does too?

MACH1
07-26-2007, 02:49 PM
time to hang up the cleats, thurman, and call it a career rock on goodell!

Didn't they make a movie about thurmans career? 'Up in Smoke'

j-dawg
07-26-2007, 03:13 PM
man, bummer for thurman... after a long days work, hitting the bong has it's medical qualities... just ask ricky williams!

Edman
07-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Bengal fans never cease to amaze me.

Wether it was the weather, animal mating seasons, Kimo Von Oelhoffen, the Steelers, the Earth rotating on it's axis, the police, the government, the Sun rising and setting, it's never the Bengal players' fault. It's someone elses. Everyone is unfairly pickng on them.

Those 'crites better be happy that Chris Henry only got half of the season instead of a 1 year suspension with all of the crap he's done. Hypocrisy is an understatement to describe this.

revefsreleets
07-26-2007, 04:02 PM
The fact that Lewis didn't have him on the depth chart as well as the article siting "Privacy provisions" in the substance abuse policy strongly points towards him failing yet another drug test. It's amusing to watch the Bengals fans continually defend these scumbags week after week, arrest and suspension after arrest and suspension.

Livinginthe past
07-26-2007, 04:20 PM
You don't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs along the way.

I can almost guarantee that Goodell hasn't taken this action in a half-assed unprepared fashion - he knows exactly why Thurman has gotten an extra year and it'll be watertight.

In some ways we should even be thankful for the Bengals and who they are, the sheer amount of trouble their players have got themselves in, in such a short period of time, has made player conduct an absolutely unavoidable issue for the Commish.

If it transpires that Odell has been harshly treated, then I wont be shedding any tears for him or his team - they attempted to short-cut the road to success and ended up in a dead end.

As for their fans?

I feel a large degree of sympathy for them - most fans are homeristic and try to take positives from a bad situation.

As Alanis Morrisette might say.

How bout me not blaming you for everything
How bout me enjoying the moment for once
How bout how good it feels to finally forgive you
How bout grieving it all one at a time

Thank you AJ
Thank you Rucker
Thank you Steinbach
Thank you Thurman
Thank you Henry
Thank you Commish.

CantStop85
07-26-2007, 04:34 PM
If something finally comes out saying that Odell did something to warrant another year's suspension I guess I'll eat some crow, but until then I want to hear the reasoning behind Goodell's decision.

You wanna talk about hypocrisy...how hypocritical is it that Odell Thurman gets 2 times the punishment that PacMan Jones gets when Jones's rap sheet is almost as long as the Bengals' entire team. Even more hypocritical, Tank Johnson, who was involved with someone actually being killed will be playing before this season's over.

All I've gotta say is Goodell better be careful...one day he might end up like the prosecutors in the Duke lacrosse case if he remains so trigger happy.

atlsteelers
07-26-2007, 05:02 PM
If something finally comes out saying that Odell did something to warrant another year's suspension I guess I'll eat some crow, but until then I want to hear the reasoning behind Goodell's decision.

You wanna talk about hypocrisy...how hypocritical is it that Odell Thurman gets 2 times the punishment that PacMan Jones gets when Jones's rap sheet is almost as long as the Bengals' entire team. Even more hypocritical, Tank Johnson, who was involved with someone actually being killed will be playing before this season's over.

All I've gotta say is Goodell better be careful...one day he might end up like the prosecutors in the Duke lacrosse case if he remains so trigger happy.

he did supposly pull a gun on two dudes at a party this past winter - remeber folks who are in trouble do not have to be convicted of anything - the talk here in atlanta is he paid the folks off the avoid getting in trouble

fansince'76
07-26-2007, 05:38 PM
You wanna talk about hypocrisy...how hypocritical is it that Odell Thurman gets 2 times the punishment that PacMan Jones gets when Jones's rap sheet is almost as long as the Bengals' entire team.

Well, speaking personally, I sincerely hope that scumbag gets 15-20 as an accessory to attempted murder when all is said and done, but that's probably wishful thinking on my part.

WWIIOwheelz
07-26-2007, 07:07 PM
I can assure any and all Bungals fans---- where there is smoke, there is fire, and the NFL handing down an extra year of suspension is the smoke equivalent of a tire fire.

They wouldn't just tack on an extra year for nothing, I promise. The Players Association probably already knows the details, or Gene Upshaw would have already called a press conference. I'm inclined to believe this involves something the NFL doesn't want the public to find out about for all parties involved, but I honestly don't know what that might be. Perhaps a domestic situation.

revefsreleets
07-26-2007, 07:26 PM

Eat crow? Your continued defense of the indefensible makes you a walking, talking, posting "Crow eating machine".

It's time to fess up and spit the Kool Aid out. The Bengals are an embarrassment to all pro sports in an era when most pro sports are pretty tainted. Everyone else sees it but the last few blinded Bengals fans.

tony hipchest
07-26-2007, 07:54 PM
I don't know that it's true. But, I also have no reason to believe that it's not true. You would think that someone would've said something had he failed another drug test or something.

The whole situation seems fishy to me...it makes Goodell look like he's gone on a power trip.what do you mean??? everybody has every reason to believe its not true! hes a lying, poor character thug with a chemical dependancy problem. what more do you need? i have no reason to doubt goodell. do you really think people are gonna distrust the commissioner and take thugmans words over his? seriously, who has the most character and accountability of the 2.

Assuming Chris Henry doesn't get in trouble again, he should be back by week 10 of this season...that is if Goodell doesn't issue another phantom suspension..again, im more likely to believe odell turning in a phantom piss test with masking agents than i am some wild conspiracy theory against the bengals. their criminal record speaks for itself.

if it looks like a criminal, acts like a criminal, and walks like a criminal, then it is a guilty bungle.

has there been a press conference held or any public outrage from the players "rep"? that speaks volumes. just think, when hes finally ready to play he will be due and expect a huge contract extension that mike brown will probably gladly pay. :dang:

Jman
07-26-2007, 09:19 PM
if it looks like a criminal, acts like a criminal, and walks like a criminal, then it is a guilty bungle.

:sofunny: :flap: :flap: :sofunny:

Wow - dude you had me and the wife rollin'!

SteelCityMan786
07-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Wow, congrats on another year suspension Odell.

stillers4me
07-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Bengal fans never cease to amaze me.

Wether it was the weather, animal mating seasons, Kimo Von Oelhoffen, the Earth rotating on it's axis, the police, the government, the Sun rising and setting, it's never the Bengal players' fault. It's someone elses. Everyone is unfairly pickng on them.

I spent a few minutes reading the comments on a couple of Bengals sites......and had to go take a shower. Between death threats to to the commish and talking about bombing his office, and running him over with a car, the foul language and blaming everybody (including the Rooney's and the Steelers) except for Odell himself for the situation he's in.......well, let's just say I'm sooooooo grateful to be a Steeler fan. Our guys aren't perfect, but if we had an Odell or a Chris Henry in Pittsburgh, the commish would never have to issue a second suspension. The loser would be long gone. The leagues subtance abuse policy has a privacy act in it and it's pretty clear that Odell has something to hide from the fans.

Jman
07-26-2007, 09:28 PM
I spent a few minutes reading the comments on a couple of Bengals sites......and had to go take a shower. Between death threats to to the commish and talking about bombing his office, and running him over with a car, the foul language and blaming everybody (including the Rooney's and the Steelers) except for Odell himself for the situation he's in.......well, let's just say I'm sooooooo grateful to be a Steeler fan. Our guys aren't perfect, but if we had an Odell or a Chris Henry in Pittsburgh, the commish would never have to issue a second suspension. The loser would be long gone. The leagues subtance abuse policy has a privacy act in it and it's pretty clear that Odell has something to hide from the fans.

Perhaps any future Bengal criminals could try the fugitve approach...blaming it all on the one armed man

:cya:

CantStop85
07-26-2007, 09:29 PM
what do you mean??? everybody has every reason to believe its not true! hes a lying, poor character thug with a chemical dependancy problem. what more do you need? i have no reason to doubt goodell. do you really think people are gonna distrust the commissioner and take thugmans words over his? seriously, who has the most character and accountability of the 2.

Yes, I know that because Odell had a DUI and missed a drug test that people will automatically assume that he's a thug and is likely to have done something else to warrant the suspension. But, the facts remain that the league or the commissioner have not made their reasons public. Until they do, there's no public evidence that Odell has done anything worthy of another year's suspension.

.again, im more likely to believe odell turning in a phantom piss test with masking agents than i am some wild conspiracy theory against the bengals. their criminal record speaks for itself.

If he did do something, I'm all for the suspension...I supported his first suspension. I thought Chris Henry's suspension was reasonable. But, I'm not going to just blindly support the commissioner on a suspension on the grounds of some unknown reason. If something comes out that supports the idea, then I'll shut up.

I think the commissioner is sending mixed messages. He suspends Odell Thurman for 2 years for a DUI, a failed drug test, and a missed drug test. Yet he actually reduces Jared Allen's suspension from 4 games to 2 games even after he received 2 DUI's. Tank Johnson gets 8 games when he had enough guns for a militia in his basement and was associated with a murder. Joey Porter gets a fine for assault and robbery.

I'm all for justice, but I think there should be some sort of equality, fairness, and logic to it (not to mention due process).

revefsreleets
07-26-2007, 09:33 PM

Read Cantstop's responses. It's still all a conspiracy.

If they weren't so ignorant, overbearing and awful, I'd almost feel sorry for the Bengals fans.

Jman
07-26-2007, 09:35 PM
If it's a joke, some ridiculous accusaton... then let Odell appeal.

Preacher
07-26-2007, 10:30 PM
CS...

In all seriousness... I am rather inclined to believe it did happen. Not because he is a Bengal. Because the recidivism rate for chemical dependence is very very high... I have heard as high as 97 percent for cocaine.

So the odds are HEAVILY stacked that he fell away. I hope not... for the sake of him as a human. But the chances are that he has.

Jman
07-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Plus, let's be honest here folks...If cocaine is involved, then its clearly evident that a problem exists. This is not what most would call a "gateway drug." Most people using this substance have a long history, hidden or exposed, of drug use...Is that singling out Odell? No, cuz the hidden facts are exactly that, hidden...

I'm just saying that those involved usually have had a long record, in the light of day, or darkness of night...

RoethlisBURGHer
07-26-2007, 10:44 PM
If the NFL is not making a statment due to the privacy provisions in the substance abuse policy;he either failed a drug test,missed another drug test,got caught trying to mask a drug test,or was caught drinking alcohol.

If Odell doesn't apeal or the NFLPA doesn't file a grievance,we know it was something serious and Goodell had all the grounds to not reinstate Thurman.

I doubt he'd be denied reinstatment just for the hell of it.Goodell can't just suspend guys just because he has the power.If he did that,then he'd end up in hot water because the NFLPA could challenge anything he does.

tony hipchest
07-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Yes, I know that because Odell had a DUI and missed a drug test that people will automatically assume that he's a thug and is likely to have done something else to warrant the suspension. But, the facts remain that the league or the commissioner have not made their reasons public. Until they do, there's no public evidence that Odell has done anything worthy of another year's suspension.he was suspended again. what more evidence do you need? the proof is in the pudding. even when confronted with the evidence the bengals and their fans will still cry conspiracy.

If he did do something, I'm all for the suspension...I supported his first suspension. well he was suspended again. he obviously did something.

I thought Chris Henry's suspension was reasonable. no it wasnt. he shoulda been fired and stocking grocery shelves. (he'd be fired within 6 weeks for stealing doritos and bean dip)

But, I'm not going to just blindly support the commissioner on a suspension on the grounds of some unknown reason. If something comes out that supports the idea, then I'll shut up. that will be way too late. too bad the rest of the bungle fans cant make the same plege. they will still cry conspiracy.

I think the commissioner is sending mixed messages. He suspends Odell Thurman for 2 years for a DUI, a failed drug test, and a missed drug test.

standard procedure.

Yet he actually reduces Jared Allen's suspension from 4 games to 2 games even after he received 2 DUI's. jared allen was actually able to adhere to the guidelines and prove that he cleaned up his act. allen didnt require a personal visit from the commish to do so.

Tank Johnson gets 8 games when he had enough guns for a militia in his basement :toofunny: guns are sold legally. he had no more than the average hunter or collector. the constitution even says we have a right to bare arms. it says nothing about a right to do drugs. he owned his guns legally in 1 state and didnt properly regester them in a new state. he had 500 round of ammo for this militia you mention. LOL. thats enough ammo for a few hours at the range.

and was associated with a murder. heres where you really begin to lose credibility. tanks best friend and body guard was a victim of a freaking HOMOCIDE. do you really think javon walker has a strike against him because darrent williams died in his lap?

Joey Porter gets a fine for assault and robbery.and again its time to check the facts. porter was fined $1000 for punching levi jones = simple assault (spitting on somebody is considered assault yet that never hurt romonowski, taylor, or t.o.).

where is this casino video of joey on the grassy knoll bengalfans keep hoping and praying for to prove their player isnt a puss who got dropped with 1 punch. "robbery" :yawn: check your facts

I'm all for justice, but I think there should be some sort of equality, fairness, and logic to it (not to mention due process).this isnt law and order, its the nfl. regarless, everything has been fair and equitable. the bunglse just so happen to have a much more serious problem with rule breakers than any other team. you didnt know this?

"dont you know?... everybody in here is innocent"

-andy dufresne (shawshank redemption)

rbryan
07-26-2007, 11:01 PM
You're in bad shape when your best argument is that he's not as bad as Pacman. Packweed still has several court appearances in his future, don't worry Pac won't be back next year either or the the next year or the year after that.

Theres a new sheriff in town and it looks like he's opening up a precinct in Bunglerville.

CantStop85
07-26-2007, 11:20 PM
CS...

In all seriousness... I am rather inclined to believe it did happen. Not because he is a Bengal. Because the recidivism rate for chemical dependence is very very high... I have heard as high as 97 percent for cocaine.

So the odds are HEAVILY stacked that he fell away. I hope not... for the sake of him as a human. But the chances are that he has.

Once again, if he did fail a drug test, then the suspension is appropriate and I will be looking forward to his release by the Bengals organization. It is very possible.

I'll wait and see what facts do or don't come out over the next few days...I just kind of figured that had he failed another drug test, that information would have been leaked by now (as it was the first 2 times).

And for the last time, my intent is not to defend anyone who's done something wrong. I just want to make sure someone is guilty of something before their career is put in the guillotine.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-27-2007, 12:54 PM
CS85,if the tables were turned and it was a Steelers LB who was suspended for a second staight season and it wasn't released why he was suspended...you wouldn't be all "lets see what he did before you put this man's career on the guillotine".You'd be all for having some "druggie thug punk" kicked out of the NFL.

83-Steelers-43
07-27-2007, 01:16 PM
:wink02:

Must be a Bengal fan talking about Goodell after hearing about Thugman......:crying01::screwy::wtf::violin:

He even screams like a little beotch......

370sMbl7_Ao

CantStop85
07-27-2007, 01:21 PM
CS85,if the tables were turned and it was a Steelers LB who was suspended for a second staight season and it wasn't released why he was suspended...you wouldn't be all "lets see what he did before you put this man's career on the guillotine".You'd be all for having some "druggie thug punk" kicked out of the NFL.

Funny you mention that...it works both ways...if it were a Steeler in the exact same situation, half of the people who commented on this topic wouldn't have been so quick to tie the noose around his neck. They would be looking for answers as well.

But, responding to your comment...I. personally, wouldn't have been advocating for a player's demise had it been a Steeler in the same situation. I haven't even been calling for Michael Vick's head like most other people...I want to see him actually convicted before I start passing judgments. I just want to see some sign of fairness in the whole punishment process. It just happens that I feel more strongly about Odell because he plays for the team I support.

fansince'76
07-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Funny you mention that...it works both ways...if it were a Steeler in the exact same situation, half of the people who commented on this topic wouldn't have been so quick to tie the noose around his neck. They would be looking for answers as well.

Nope, if it were a Steeler, he would have been an EX-Steeler and long gone by now.

Edman
07-27-2007, 03:02 PM
"If he were a Steeler".... I knew this question would turn up.

Maybe the first time I'd ask for answers, but this is like what? The 4th-5th Strike for Thurman? I lost count. I can only go so far to defend a pleyer who continues to screw up. Santonio Holmes screwed around last year, but since then he's been clean and is meshing nicely with the Steelers.

Pacman, Henry, Odell, Vick, and the overall laughable handling of the team arrests by the Bengals organization(Marvin Lewis especially) is an embarrassment to the league. I don't blame Goodell at all for finally laying down the hammer and instilling discipline and punishment on the troublemakers. Something Marvin preached, didn't do, and should've done. But that's just me.

stlrtruck
07-27-2007, 10:22 PM
I would be interested in hearing Goodell's reasons for not allowing him back in the league. Now don't get me wrong, being a Steelers fan - I do find it funny that it's happening to the bungles (and yes I'd be pissed off it happened to a Steeler player)! However, it seems that Goodell has been eyeballing Thurman (outside of Pacman Jones).

Honestly, I think Goodell hasn't been very consistent with his policies and he's allowed players to get away with behavior that is not conducive to the public view of the NFL. It will definitely be interesting to see what he does with Vick and how that will relate back to Thurman.

CS85, in all fairness, I think there should be a statement about why he wasn't reinstated. And yes, everyone is suppose to be innocent until proven guilty. However, Thurman hasn't helped himself out by putting himself in inappropriate situations during his suspension.

CantStop85
07-28-2007, 12:42 AM
Update:

Thurman to Appeal
By Geoff Hobson

One of Odell Thurman's representatives says he plans to file an appeal through the NFL Players Association early next week of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's decision to extend Thurman's suspension for another year.

"We've got the backing of the team and the appeal should be received Monday," said Safarrah Lawson on Friday night, a day after Goodell's decision shelved Thurman for the second straight season. "We feel like he has complied with the guidelines set down by the league. He hasn't had a positive test. He's been clean and they can test him up to 10 times a month."

An NFLPA lawyer will try to make the case with Goodell, who hears the appeals of his sanctions.

"He's extremely disappointed," said Lawson of Thurman. "He was where he had to be whenever he had to be there."

Goodell has a mixed record on his recent appeals. Pacman Jones withdrew his appeal of his one-year suspension for violations of the conduct policy after meeting with the commissioner. Two weeks ago Goodell reduced Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen's four-game suspension to two for two DUIs.
I thought it was interesting that the lawyer actually stated that Odell hadn't had a positive test, so assuming they're not lying, Odell would've had to have been denied on some other grounds. The appeal will most likely be in vain, but hopefully it will force out some reasoning by the league or Goodell.

Galax Steeler
07-28-2007, 05:21 AM
The bengals can make there own movie called the Longest Yard 2.

Elvis
07-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Just remember this young man in your prayers that he can get his life turned around and going in the right direction. I feel sorry for the guy that he cant beat this disease, he needs help and I hope that he gets it.
:tt02:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Man the Bungles just make it too easy.

steelpride12
07-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Ya how bout all the Bengals realize that the media watches there every step and actual be good boys and just play the Damn game and stay out of trouble. I'm so tired of hearing about the Bungles getting in trouble for heaven sake it's sad.