PDA

View Full Version : Timmons injured in practice; details to follow

SteelerWatch
07-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Scot.com is reporting that Troy Polamalu has been injured. I don't have a subscription on the site so if you know anything more, please post details.

fansince'76
07-26-2007, 12:22 PM
AUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!

The Duke
07-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Hope is something minor

tony hipchest
07-26-2007, 12:26 PM
lets see how quick tomlin goes from being a saint for having tougher practices to being the fall guy for ruining troys career.

remember when troy was injured the week leading up to the SB in practice? hopefully this is the same type of deal.

atrus20
07-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Rotoworld.com is reporting that Timmons is hurt too. Apparently he re-aggravated his groin.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4195

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 12:34 PM
I think I'll wait to hear from the PPG before I take the bridge.

AKSteeler
07-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Praying he's okay, and it is a minor injury...:jawdrop:

fansince'76
07-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Rotoworld.com is reporting that Timmons is hurt too. Apparently he re-aggravated his groin.

I have a feeling this is the injury Scout.com is talking about - they put a picture of Troy up as a tease to get subscriptions. This is too coincidental for me to believe otherwise.

SteelerMurf
07-26-2007, 12:36 PM
It's Timmons news with a picture of Troy....little deceiving but it appears Troy has no injury to speak of, it's Timmon's groin

read the recap here
http://www.o-ronline.net/weblog/football/

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 12:39 PM
It's Timmons news with a picture of Troy....little deceiving but it appears Troy has no injury to speak of, it's Timmon's groin

read the recap here
http://www.o-ronline.net/weblog/football/

lol, another reason why I wanted to wait for the PPG report.

IF true, this is not good for Timmons. The first injury in mini-camp? Fine, it happens. It reocurring during TC in your rookie season? Not good at all.

rbryan
07-26-2007, 12:42 PM
I don't have a good feeling about Timmons. No more Seminoles please.

The Duke
07-26-2007, 12:42 PM
So, Timmons again....

SteelerMurf
07-26-2007, 12:43 PM
lol, another reason why I wanted to wait for the PPG report.

IF true, this is not good for Timmons. The first injury in mini-camp? Fine, it happens. It reocurring during TC in your rookie season? Not good at all.

groins are a tough injury. The initial injury could have been worse than reported. Remember when Bettis missed half the year with his.

Look on the bright side, the injury could be a lot worse than a tweaked groin. And the report seemed to think it didn't look too serious.

SteelerMurf
07-26-2007, 12:44 PM

Why? Because of one other bust a couple years ago?

Guess we will ignore all the studs in the NFL from FSU? And I wouldn't call McFadden a bad Seminal would you?

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 12:46 PM
groins are a tough injury. The initial injury could have been worse than reported. Remember when Bettis missed half the year with his.

Look on the bright side, the injury could be a lot worse than a tweaked groin. And the report seemed to think it didn't look too serious.

I understand groin injuries have a history of reoccuring, that's my point. It's not good news for your rookie first round pick who already missed the majority of mini-camp and is now down in TC. Hopefully it is only minor and he can pick it back up for tomorrows camp.

That's even if these reports have any validity.

SteelerWatch
07-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Cross your fingers that this is the case.

I hate misleading sites.

OneForTheToe
07-26-2007, 12:53 PM

Man don't give up on the guy because of one nagging injury. If it persists, I don't care if they sit him down for most of the year and let him watch. Too much money invested to either give up or risk a career threatning injury of some type.

The Duke
07-26-2007, 12:57 PM

At least there are some good things out of this article, like Timmons making the interception, and Troy and Anthony Smith being great on the pass rush.

SteelerMurf
07-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Man don't give up on the guy because of one nagging injury. If it persists, I don't care if they sit him down for most of the year and let him watch. Too much money invested to either give up or risk a career threatning injury of some type.

It's a long season. We don't even know if he really injured it or just had it tighten up.

Either way, it's absolutely crazy to start calling a guy a bust (which essentially saying no more FSU guys) because he has a pulled muscle.

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 12:59 PM

I agree. I'm not giving up on the guy nor am I calling the guy the next Alonzo Bell (:wink02:), but if these reports are true, this is definately not good news (no matter how you want to cut it) for Timmons or for the Steelers.

SteelerWatch
07-26-2007, 01:01 PM
I agree. I'm not giving up on the guy nor am I calling the guy the next Alonzo Bell (), but if these reports are true, this is definately not good news (no matter how you want to cut it) for Timmons or for the Steelers.

Ooooh, two shots in one! Good call! :cheers:

Virginia Steeler
07-26-2007, 01:01 PM
pretty irresponsible headline for this thread....

you should have waited until you had some facts...

If Polamalu was hurt it would be all over espn, foxsport.com and ppg.

Preacher
07-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Um... Mods...

Can we change the title now...

Save most of us from a heart attack!!!

:sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 01:03 PM
pretty irresponsible headline for this thread....

you should have waited until you had some facts...

If Polamalu was hurt it would be all over espn, foxsport.com and ppg.

Eh, honest mistake. Not his fault some of these hack media outlets can't get a story straight. Although it would probably be smart for one of the mods to change the title so the suicide rate in the Pittsburgh area doesn't skyrocket. :wink02:

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Ooooh, two shots in one! Good call! :cheers:

Thank you. With the sounds of "Florida State" and "Reoccuring injury" being thrown around I couldn't help myself. :smile:

fansince'76
07-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Um... Mods...

Can we change the title now...

Save most of us from a heart attack!!!

Good call, Preacher - done. :thumbsup:

Preacher
07-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Eh, honest mistake. Not his fault some of these hack media outlets can't get a story straight. Although it would probably be smart for one of the mods to change the title so the suicide rate in the Pittsburgh area doesn't skyrocket. :wink02:

Absolutely! On all accounts.

Ignorant hack journalists...

Preacher
07-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Good call, Preacher - done. :thumbsup:

Thank you sir!

Atlanta Dan
07-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Not that Timmons injures groin again on second day of camp is good news, but it certainly beats my initial reaction when I saw this thread.

Definite concern with Timmons going back to the pre-draft conditioning issues. Nobody had Timmons as high on their board as the Steelers and it was my impression it was Tomlin who fell in love with this 1 year starter at FSU.

SteelerWatch
07-26-2007, 01:10 PM
In my own defense, I went in to see if the editor would let me change the title immediately after it was shown that Timmons, not Polamalu, was hurt. My bad, folks. Don't lynch me.

And for those who got my back, thanks. Much appreciated.

SteelerWatch
07-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Not that Timmons injures groin again on second day of camp is good news, but it certainly beats my initial reaction when I saw this thread.

Definite concern with Timmons going back to the pre-draft conditioning issues. Nobody had Timmons as high on their board as the Steelers and it was my impression it was Tomlin who fell in love with this 1 year starter at FSU.

I've said it before: I wanted them to trade down a few spots and then take Anthony Spencer and a second or third round pick in exchange for their slot. He's the perfect 3-4/4-3 tweener and would have added a lot of dimension. Dallas got themselves a steal with Spencer.

OneForTheToe
07-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Keep in mind it is really just one continuing injury. It is probable that it has never completely healed and the kid is just trying to forces himself back into full participation too soon. He?s likely telling the Steelers' Doctors and Trainers that it feels 100% when it doesn't, just to get out there. Groins are like hamstrings - they can be a can be a bitch for a year or so before they are completely healed. Just ask Hines about hamstrings.

Preacher
07-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Keep in mind it is really just one continuing injury. It is probable that it has never completely healed and the kid is just trying to forces himself back into full participation too soon. He?s likely telling the Steelers' Doctors and Trainers that it feels 100% when it doesn't, just to get out there. Groins are like hamstrings - they can be a can be a bitch for a year or so before they are completely healed. Just ask Hines about hamstrings.

Yep..

AD...

Going back to conditioning issues.... I would wonder if he had a groing problem coming out of last year, and with all the work that goes into the draft year, it never really healed... thus, he was never able to really work.

Atlanta Dan
07-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Yep..

AD...

Going back to conditioning issues.... I would wonder if he had a groing problem coming out of last year, and with all the work that goes into the draft year, it never really healed... thus, he was never able to really work.

Might have injured it during 2006 season or early in 2007; with regard to conditioning issues,
what I was referring to was Timmons running a slow 40 and appearing overweight during pre-draft evaluations. In response to the slow 40 time, Tomlin responded you look at game film. Whether the 40/weight issues were because Timmons slacked off or was nursing an injury are 2 possibilities.

I certainly am not pushing the panic button in late July (Troy was regarded as a disapointment in his rookie season and, going way back, Franco had a slow start in 1972 training camp and had fans wondering if Noll's stated draft preference for Robert Newhouse was the right choice), but our #1 pick (who did not start until his last year at a FSU program that has been sliding for several years) certainly has not had an impressive 2007 to date.

rog
07-26-2007, 02:04 PM
In the 1st year you gotta give him the benifet of doubt but I hope he is smart and does not jeopardize his future.

Preacher
07-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Might have injured it during 2006 season or early in 2007; with regard to conditioning issues,
what I was referring to was Timmons running a slow 40 and appearing overweight during pre-draft evaluations. In response to the slow 40 time, Tomlin responded you look at game film. Whether the 40/weight issues were because Timmons slacked off or was nursing an injury are 2 possibilities.

I certainly am not pushing the panic button in late July (Troy was regarded as a disapointment in his rookie season and, going way back, Franco had a slow start in 1972 training camp and had fans wondering if Noll's stated draft preference for Robert Newhouse was the right choice), but our #1 pick (who did not start until his last year at a FSU program that has been sliding for several years) certainly has not had an impressive 2007 to date.

Yep, Yep, and Yep.

It is nice to have a little depth at the LB right now. I think we can afford to let him sit and soak up the schemes this year. Woodley seems to be coming on strong. Then, when we KNOW he is healthy, start bringing him in on substitutions.

These type of injuries WILL heal, and they WILL go away. They just need time.

Steelerstrength
07-26-2007, 02:33 PM
The conditioning issue's pertaining to an injury of the Groin are well known. Through my experience they occur, most of the time, in either of two scenarios. One, when a player does not warm up well, or attempts an explosive move when not sufficiently warm, or Two, when a player is in poor condition and attempts explosive movement.

This is not to say that's what has happened to Timmons, but it is highly likely that one of these scenarios did occur, initially. It is now clear that the injury has been re-aggrivated.

Aggressive treatment/therapy and light active rest are usually prescribed. I sincerely hope that he is able to practice, at all, this preseason. Wish we knew more about the extent of the injury. :twocents:

Jman
07-26-2007, 02:41 PM
These type of injuries WILL heal, and they WILL go away. They just need time.

:iagree:

yinzer-inseattle
07-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Aggressive treatment/therapy and light active rest are usually prescribed. I sincerely hope that he is able to practice, at all, this preseason. Wish we knew more about the extent of the injury. :twocents:

Where's Dr. Rydze when you need him. He might thow some HGH at the problem.

Sorry I couldn't resist. Wanted lighten this thread up a bit.

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Scratch that.....

Steelers' Timmons injures groin
Thursday, July 26, 2007

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Rookie linebacker Lawrence Timmons re-injured his groin near the end of morning practice and was not expected to take part in today's afternoon session.

Timmons, the team's No. 1 draft choice, effectively missed all of the team's off-season practice sessions when he injured his groin on the first day on rookie minicamp. The severity of the injury is not known at this time and it is unclear how long Timmons will be sidelined.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07207/804673-66.stm

duma
07-26-2007, 03:25 PM
The post is reporting it:

Steelers' Timmons injures groin

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Rookie linebacker Lawrence Timmons re-injured his groin near the end of morning practice and was not expected to take part in today's afternoon session.

Timmons, the team's No. 1 draft choice, effectively missed all of the team's off-season practice sessions when he injured his groin on the first day on rookie minicamp. The severity of the injury is not known at this time and it is unclear how long Timmons will be sidelined.

Steelerstrength
07-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Where's Dr. Rydze when you need him. He might thow some HGH at the problem.

Sorry I couldn't resist. Wanted lighten this thread up a bit.

I'm not sure, at all, what you meant or what your intent was. But you seemed to have issue with my opinion, and have addressed me indirectly. I was sharing my professional opinion as a former University Strength Coach and World Champion Athlete.

Hope your cool with that. :smile:

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure, at all, what you meant or what your intent was. But you seemed to have issue with my opinion, and have addressed me indirectly. I was sharing my professional opinion as a former University Strength Coach and World Champion Athlete.

Hope your cool with that. :smile:

I do not believe YIS was taking a shot at you.

Dr. Rydze was on the Steelers medical staff. He was fired by the Steelers in June after they found out he had purchased $150,000 in testosterone and human growth hormone with his own credit card.

It was a joke.

ChronoCross
07-26-2007, 03:39 PM
at least we know he will not be a impact off the bat. And he will be welcomed to be the first one on the sidelines with sweats. We better get staley back to keep him company.

Steelerstrength
07-26-2007, 03:43 PM
I do not believe YI was taking a shot at you.

Dr. Rydze was on the Steelers medical staff. He was fired by the Steelers in June after they found out he had purchased $150,000 in testosterone and human growth hormone with his own credit card.

It was a joke.

Cool! Just didn't get why he put my quote in his post. Still doesn't make sense to me. It's all good! :cheers:

Preacher
07-26-2007, 03:43 PM
at least we know he will not be a impact off the bat. And he will be welcomed to be the first one on the sidelines with sweats. We better get staley back to keep him company.

The Sweatsuit Model II !!!

TSM2 for short!!

Black@Gold Forever32
07-26-2007, 03:51 PM
So Troy didn't get injured?.......Good since I was about to start punching holes into my walls.........Had a terrible day at work if Troy went down then that would have been just icing on the cake....lol

As for Timmons wasn't to high on Timmons at first....Then started to warm to the pick....Then when I read how the Steelers wanted to use him then even liked the pick more....But now I have visions of Kendrell Bell running through my head...lol I just hope Timmon's groin heals alot better then Bell's did...lol

Sharkissle29
07-26-2007, 04:24 PM
didnt know we drafted a piece of glass.....

jjpro11
07-26-2007, 04:29 PM
ugh.. groin injuries are so annoying and never seem to go away. this sucks.

alittlejazzbird
07-26-2007, 05:02 PM
ugh.. groin injuries are so annoying and never seem to go away. this sucks.

Don't forget, Hines was troubled by a groin injury for awhile, but it seems to have completely cleared up.

Preacher
07-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Don't forget, Hines was troubled by a groin injury for awhile, but it seems to have completely cleared up.

Yep. That is why i want us to just be patient.... and let this whole thing heal up.

Stlrs4Life
07-26-2007, 05:59 PM

LOL! I said the same last week! Groin injuries are terrible. They seem to reaccure too easily.

Stlrs4Life
07-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Also more news on it:

Timmons reaggravates groin injury. Read on.
--------------
Thursday, July 26, 2007
First injury
The first injury of this Pittsburgh Steelers training camp reared its ugly head Thursday and it's somebody the team can't afford to miss much time.

First-round pick Lawrence Timmons aggravated his groin injury that kept him out of the team's offseason workouts midway through Thursday morning's practice and spent the remainder of the session with trainers John Norwig and Ryan Grove testing the injury.

There's no initial prognosis, but the injury didn't seem serious and Timmons looked to be staying off the field more as a precaution than anything. But given the fact that he missed all of the OTAs and most of mini-camp, it's certainly something that is going to hold him back in terms of his growth as a player.

The injury came just a few plays after Timmons, a linebacker, made his first big play of this camp. Dropping into coverage, Timmons jumped a pass in the flats in zone coverage and picked off the Charlie Batch ball, making a juggling catch along the sidelines.

The highlight of the morning was a new twist on the backs on backers pass-rush, pass-protection drill. This time, it was safeties and nickel backs rushing the running backs.

The offense looked to have gotten the better of it, but Troy Polamalu and Anthony Smith were everything but unblockable, beating practically everybody they went up against.

Polamalu even beat unofficial blocking champion Dan Kreider in a heavyweight matchup. He uses a variety of spin moves and looks more like a defensive end rushing rather than a safety.

Smith, meanwhile, was just explosive, running through people to get to the QB. He hits like a truck.

The offensive star of the drill was Carey Davis. The first-year running back went 5-0 in the drill, even stopping Smith on the final attempt of the drill. Smith slipped coming in and never really made it to Davis with any force, but the young back already had stoned Ricardo Colclough, Bryant McFadden, Harrison Smith and Deshea Townsend.

Perhaps that's why Davis is the only surprise player on the No. 1 punt coverage team ??? where he plays one of the wings.

QB Ben Roethlisberger looked sharper today. He made a great pass deep over the middle while rolling to his right to Hines Ward. Ward had gotten behind the safeties and the duo made it look easy.

Ryan Clark was back working with the No. 1 Okie base defense this morning.

Also of note is that sources tell me that running back Kevan Barlow, signed as a possible backup to Willie Parker, is the worst character guy the Steelers have had since this source has been here. That dates back nearly 10 years.

The players are also upset that they do not have a scheduled day off in the first two weeks of camp. They're not complaining publicly about it - yet.
posted by Dale Lolley at 11:18 AM

If that is true, I say we cut Barlow now, and cut our losses.

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Tomlin on "Sports Beat" at 6:30 PM stated that it was "Just a little twitch". Sat him out as a precaution.

Eitherway, playing catch-up is never easy for a rookie. Good luck to him.

tony hipchest
07-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Also more news on it:

Timmons reaggravates groin injury. Read on.

great article stlrs. thanks. alot to digest, but it looks good that the timmons deal is minor

The offensive star of the drill was Carey Davis. The first-year running back went 5-0 in the drill, even stopping Smith on the final attempt of the drill. Smith slipped coming in and never really made it to Davis with any force, but the young back already had stoned Ricardo Colclough, Bryant McFadden, Harrison Smith and Deshea Townsend.

im gonna say the unthinkable right now. pardon my blasphemy but...

carey davis>john kuhn

there i said it. bring it on! i can take the heat. carey davis is better than john kuhn and his hopes of ever making the steelers roster are officially squashed.

enjoy life as a patriot big bad john. its been real, and its been fun, but it hasnt been real fun.

(actually it has :wink: )

The Duke
07-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Also of note is that sources tell me that running back Kevan Barlow, signed as a possible backup to Willie Parker, is the worst character guy the Steelers have had since this source has been here. That dates back nearly 10 years.

If that is true, I say we cut Barlow now, and cut our losses.

Definitely, I already wasn't sure about him on the team for his running abilities, and if he has an attitude problem I just don't want him.

SteelerWatch
07-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Scratch that....

I'm sure Lawrence appreciates the help. :wink02:

Preacher
07-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Smith, meanwhile, was just explosive, running through people to get to the QB. He hits like a truck.

How beautiful is this quote?!?!

On Barlow... was this a prognostication... or from actually being with the guys and watching. If it is the former... I wish the press would knock it off... if it is the latter...

bye bye! I was happy we got ya, but if this is true, I am happier to see you go!

On Timmons.

Not worried... they are just being safe.... I like the fact that he was jumping routes already.

yinzer-inseattle
07-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Cool! Just didn't get why he put my quote in his post. Still doesn't make sense to me. It's all good! :cheers:

Strength

It was totally a joke. The only reason I quoted you was that you were the only one who gave me a segway into the joke. In doing that I wasn't dissing your medical knowledge, just referring to someone who was infamously in a medical capacity with the Steelers around the whole steroids controversey. With Bonds/MLB and the Tour de France, I thought I'd get a few chuckles.

I guess I'm only funny in my own head.

No offense.

83-Steelers-43
07-27-2007, 12:07 AM
Timmons sidelined by groin injury
First-round pick Timmons shows small rays of brilliance before re-injuring groin, leaving practice
Friday, July 27, 2007

Lawrence Timmons did something on the practice field he has been unable to do since the Steelers made him their No. 1 draft pick. He made his teammates and coaches take notice of his ability.

It happened yesterday morning at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe when he made a juggling interception of a pass thrown by Charlie Batch, eventually cradling the ball to his chest as he was falling to the ground. It was a play that demonstrated the agility and athletic talent possessed by Timmons, and the reason he was the 15th player selected overall in the National Football League draft.

"He made a couple plays," coach Mike Tomlin said.

Timmons, an outside linebacker from Florida State, gained even more attention, though, for what happened after that.

He re-injured his groin and did not practice in the afternoon, the same injury that caused him to effectively miss all the workout programs and mini-camps in the offseason.

And here's the curious part: Timmons said he didn't re-injure the groin on any one play in the morning. Rather, he said the injury is the wear and tear of participating in the number of two-a-day drills since the start of training camp.

The Steelers have practiced twice a day since Tuesday and will have another two sessions today and tomorrow.

"The two-a-days, a two-hour practice each time, that's hard on a groin you never did anything to," Timmons said. "The wear and tear on the body. ... You got to be smart with everything. It's nothing specific. I'm just being safe."

Timmons said he did not know how long he will be sidelined, but he insisted his decision not to practice in the afternoon was more for precautionary reasons than concern. He termed the injury "nothing serious."

"I can still go," he said. "I'm just going off what's best for my body."

Nonetheless, even Tomlin conceded it was another setback for a young player who is trying to impress his coaches and teammates with what he can do.

"No doubt," Tomlin said. "When you watch guys and check their level of preparation, it's testament to their offseason program. [LaMarr] Woodley has distinguished himself a little bit because he was healthy and able to get a rep or two [in the offseason]. Lawrence has to make up ground. It's nothing earth-shattering, but that's the reality of it."

The reference was to LaMarr Woodley, an outside linebacker from Michigan who was the team's second-round draft pick. Woodley is a different style of player than Timmons -- he's a converted defensive end who is more of a pass-rusher -- but he has been getting more snaps at training camp because the coaches got to see him perform extensively in the offseason.

Timmons' latest setback will prevent him from playing catchup, at least for now. Meantime, Woodley is likely to play more immediately than Timmons, probably as a replacement for left outside linebacker Clark Haggans in some third-down situations.

"They're both talented linebackers," said inside linebacker James Farrior. "I think both of them are going to be good players. You can tell on the field."

Problem is, Timmons hasn't been on the field as much as the coaches would like. Moreover, his injury is a concern because it's a recurrence of the problem he has had from the outset of the offseason -- a sign that his groin is not completely healed.

Timmons sustained the injury on the first day of mini-camp and never took part in another workout session the rest of the offseason. When he reported to training camp Monday, he said he was fully recovered and ready to go. But, in yesterday's morning session, Timmons said his groin felt sore.

However, he did finish the practice, and even made a couple big plays.

"He felt a little twinge, so we're just being cautious," Tomlin said. "We don't want to take steps backward as we move forward. Until that point, he did make a play or two, and that was good."

Timmons said not to worry -- there are more good plays to come.

"I'm still out here on the field, taking plays, listening to the coaches," he said. "I don't think this is a setback. I'm just taking it day-to-day and not trying to rush anything. I still got a whole 20 days to go [of training camp]. We got time."

Asked if the injury felt worse than during the offseason, Timmons said, "No, nothing like that. There's no discomfort. Groins take a while to heal, It takes time. You can't rush anything.

"I think I'm coming around good. The next couple weeks, I'll be fine."

The Steelers are keeping their fingers crossed.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07208/804860-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
07-27-2007, 12:16 AM
I guess I'm only funny in my own head.

I know how ya feel man, I know how ya feel.....:cheers::smile:

Preacher
07-27-2007, 01:15 AM
I know how ya feel man, I know how ya feel.....:cheers::smile:

Yep.... I have been there... I have been there !!

tony hipchest
07-27-2007, 01:24 AM
Yep.... I have been there... I have been there !!not me. i wonder what thats like? :rofl:

....oh. nevermind....

ChronoCross
07-27-2007, 01:28 AM
I do not know how it feels. I do not know how it feels. Come on Tell me.. shoot pulled my groin in my mouth saying that.. ill be sidelined for 3 mins.

SteelersMongol
07-27-2007, 01:49 AM
I guess this gives Harrison more time to show himself.

Preacher
07-27-2007, 01:52 AM
not me. i wonder what thats like? :rofl:

....oh. nevermind....

Too true... many of us are just funny in our head... Tony is a legend in his own mind.

SteelerWatch
07-27-2007, 08:12 AM
The voices in his head apparently like to be heard, too. Dude averages 20 posts per day on here.

Preacher
07-27-2007, 05:20 PM
The voices in his head apparently like to be heard, too. Dude averages 20 posts per day on here.

he sure does...

17 of those posts are worthwhile reads....

1 of those is always a shot at LITP.... and quite humorous

1 of those is some type of esoteric phallic or similar comment

The last one shows that he hasn't totally lost it.

Feel blessed when tony responds to a post of yours!

GBMelBlount
07-27-2007, 11:08 PM
The conditioning issue's pertaining to an injury of the Groin are well known. Through my experience they occur, most of the time, in either of two scenarios. One, when a player does not warm up well, or attempts an explosive move when not sufficiently warm, or Two, when a player is in poor condition and attempts explosive movement.

This is not to say that's what has happened to Timmons, but it is highly likely that one of these scenarios did occur, initially. It is now clear that the injury has been re-aggrivated.

I have read that Timmons pays alot of attention to stretching, especially his groin area, before practicing or playing. As you said, I think it was probably an explosive movement. Hopefully, if he takes it easy and pays special attention to his injury, things will be looking up in no time! :thumbsup:

GBMelBlount
07-27-2007, 11:36 PM

Unfortunately, you may be right. In fact, I was far more fired up about the Woodley pick than picking Timmons in the first round. But I honestly hope Tomlin nailed it on this one.

83-Steelers-43
07-28-2007, 12:19 AM
Timmons' injury tests Tomlin's resolve
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, July 28, 2007

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin remained calm when asked about top draft pick Lawrence Timmons suffering a recurrence of a groin injury that caused him to miss offseason workouts.

Tomlin's response was telling -- and apropos.

He reached for a silver lining and found one in the form of Timmons' lunging interception right before he re-injured his groin Thursday morning. Timmons initially suffered the injury during the first workout of the team's May minicamp.

Timmons is personal for Tomlin. He scouted Timmons and attended Florida State's Pro Day with director of football operations Kevin Colbert just to observe Timmons, the No. 15 pick in the draft.

That's why it could be extremely difficult for Tomlin to do what he must do.

Short of a miraculous medical recovery straight out of the cable television series "Heartland," Tomlin must bite the bullet and keep Timmons on the sideline.

If it takes two days, fine. If it takes two weeks, whatever. If it takes two months -- oh well, that's the cost of playing with fire.

Sometimes you get burned.

Steelers safety Ryan Clark injured his groin against Tampa Bay last season. Clark didn't play the following week against Cleveland but attempted to play with the injury against Carolina two weeks later and re-aggravated it. As a result, Clark missed the final two games of the season.

"I know the pain," Clark said Friday. "I told him when it happened earlier (in May), you really need to get healthy. Having it happen two times in one year, I think the biggest thing is letting him rest up and heal up totally before you put him back out there."

Forget the fact that Timmons wasn't expected to start as a rookie. The Steelers need to be patient with their top draft pick because it makes sense health-wise, said Malachy McHugh, director of research for the Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York.

"About one-third of all muscle injuries are recurrent injuries. If you strain a muscle, there's a 33 percent chance of re-straining it," said McHugh, who specializes in treating athletes with injuries similar to Timmons'. "You're always better to err on the side of caution and not so much rest, but giving the right type of rehab exercises for a couple of weeks rather than put someone back on the field."

Timmons and the Steelers called Thursday's injury a "tweak" -- a minor setback that may have resulted from his body adjusting to two-a-day practices.

Call it a cry for help.

Remember, a day after agreeing to a five-year contract worth as much as $15 million, Timmons skipped Monday's conditioning run consisting of 14 110-yarders.

Exactly what was Timmons waiting for, if he indeed was perfectly healthy?

Tomlin and the Steelers are going to have to swallow their pride and take a public relations hit on this one.

Sacrificing Timmons' future for the sake of the present simply isn't worth it.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_519420.html

Preacher
07-28-2007, 03:17 AM
Is it just me...

or is the press just itching to jump down Tomlin's throat?

I mean... this is mild, very mild... but it just seems like it is setting the stage for future articles.

GeneralRobinson
07-28-2007, 08:23 AM
You would think that after 2 months of rest the groin would be healed.

83-Steelers-43
07-28-2007, 10:19 AM
Is it just me...

or is the press just itching to jump down Tomlin's throat?

I mean... this is mild, very mild... but it just seems like it is setting the stage for future articles.

IMO Preacher, I think the media has shown very high adulation towards Tomlin since he's stepped off the plane at Pittsburgh International. I read some of these articles and I think to myself... "Did Tomlin win us two Super Bowls that I'm not aware of?".

I guess there is the possibility of the media jumping on Tomlin after we lose a few games, but I expect it to come from the fans if it's going to come from anybody. That's who I'm more worried about when it comes to Tomlin and his first year.

For some reason, I can see it now after a few defeats....

Caller: Stan?

Stan: Yes caller?

Caller: Stan? *caller is listening to himself on tv while on the phone*

Stan: Caller, please turn down your tv.

Caller: OK. Now Stan, this here Tomlin character aint gettin' it done. Yinz all sit here and praise da guy, but yinz all knowz we shoulda grabbed up Grimm or that Whisenhunt.

Stan: It's his first year as a HC in the NFL.

Caller: Yeah, but, but, but (had a few arns before he called) dis guy just aint Picksburgh, ya know whada mean? He doesn't spit like Caaaarrrrr, he doesn't scream like Caaarrrrr. He doesn't even have a jaw like Caaarrrrrr.

Stan: What does Cowher have to do with this?

Caller: First he let's Porter walk. Now he's gonna let Faneca walk. WTH is goin' on Stan?

Stan: Tomlin doesn't make those decisions.

Caller: Ben threw those three interceptions the other day in Seattle. You see Stan, Tomlin is holding him back Stan. Come on, you know that Stan. If Tomlin wasn't holdin' him back dare's no way Ben throws those three interceptions.

Stan: How do you figure caller?

Caller: Because da coach is inside Ben's head and tell's him where to throw da ball!!!

Stan: Are you mentally slow sir?

Caller: This guy just aint Picksburgh!

Stan: Heard you the first time, thank you caller. *Click*

Edman
07-28-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm remaining patient with Timmons. Groin injuries are naggy and only get worse if you don't let them heal. Suppose we let Timmons practice, his groin gets worse, and becomes shredded completely beyond repair. Then what? Timmons was doing great before the re-injury, so that was encouraging news.

If I can recall, a certain fan favorite named Greg Lloyd tore up his knee, missed all of 1987 and most of 1988. He turned out just fine.

The press (and some fans) are itching to tear Tomlin apart already. Just wait until our first loss.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-28-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm really hoping he doesnt turn out to be a bust because of injuries but I think once he gets healthy he will really contribute to the team.

Preacher
07-29-2007, 01:26 AM
Tomlin.... Well... I have often thought the press were simply vultures...

But I gott admit, I really enjoyed reading 83's rendition of a caller... that was hilarious