PDA

View Full Version : Simeon Rice Released

The Duke
07-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Just saw it on Espn. No link yet
Quite shocking, he and Gaines Adams would have been great.

tony hipchest
07-26-2007, 07:26 PM
there are lots of high dollar good players that are gonna start to get dropped. warren sapp is another who may be on the chopping block.

i wonder if tomlin will give him a call? although not really needed he could be affordable and make someone kirchke and okolbi (maybe wilson) expendable.

nfl network reported rice failed his physical and will free up 7.2 mil off the cap.

revefsreleets
07-26-2007, 07:51 PM
There is no way in Hell that the Steelers are signing Rice. He's like 2nd or 3rd on the career sack list among active players. Some team is going to WAY overpay him, and there's no way the Steelers are going to entertain that kind of deal, and certainly not to replace a cheap role player like Kirschke (who is about the same age and has 8 career sacks).

tony hipchest
07-26-2007, 08:07 PM
There is no way in Hell that the Steelers are signing Rice. He's like 2nd or 3rd on the career sack list among active players. Some team is going to WAY overpay him, and there's no way the Steelers are going to entertain that kind of deal, and certainly not to replace a cheap role player like Kirschke (who is about the same age and has 8 career sacks).the steelers interviewed aaron brooks of all people. im sure a call to rice will be placed. it would be up to him to decide to take a huge paycut and play in a limited role. im sure a team like detroit or washington could make a much larger push for him.

fansince'76
07-26-2007, 08:22 PM
im sure a call to rice will be placed. it would be up to him to decide to take a huge paycut and play in a limited role. im sure a team like detroit or washington could make a much larger push for him.

Welp, since Rice got a ring in TB, I doubt a more limited role at a substantially reduced salary on a team that has a legit shot at a SB within the obviously limited amount of time he has left will be appealing. Another over-the-hill DE with a recognizable name that Snyder will grossly overpay for, I'm sure (much like he did with Bruce Smith).

Preacher
07-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Would be interesting to see him come over to us... help out when we want to go to four DL. Also help spell some lineman...

but we are somewhat deep in that area.

Jman
07-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Would be interesting to see him come over to us... help out when we want to go to four DL. Also help spell some lineman...

but we are somewhat deep in that area.

We are deep in the area of the defensive line. However, there might be a soft spot, since he is from the Bucs. Who knows? I don't think there is a need....

revefsreleets
07-26-2007, 09:30 PM
the steelers interviewed aaron brooks of all people. im sure a call to rice will be placed. it would be up to him to decide to take a huge paycut and play in a limited role. im sure a team like detroit or washington could make a much larger push for him.

Brooks can be signed for $350k guaranteed money at this point. He's been exposed as damaged goods. Rice still has some juice, and he'll be looking for mid-7 figures, and someone will probably pay it. It's silly to compare Travis and Simeon.

CantStop85
07-26-2007, 09:36 PM
I think someone will be able to pick him up at a fairly decent price. Most likely a 1-2 year deal.

Jman
07-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Rice only had 2 sacks last year. He had a max of 14 tackles. With Smith at 4 and a half last year, and 44 tackles, i'll rest easy with knowing our DL handles their own

tony hipchest
07-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Brooks can be signed for $350k guaranteed money at this point. He's been exposed as damaged goods. Rice still has some juice, and he'll be looking for mid-7 figures, and someone will probably pay it. It's silly to compare Travis and Simeon.you dont think i was comparing okolbi and wilson to rice too, do you? just add up the 3's contracts and it equals to about "mid-7 figures". its silly to think i would compare cedric wilson to rice. it simply showed rice could be afforded if tomlin had a secret desire to implement a 4-3

but like it has been stated hes not really needed and i agree that he probably wants a huge deal. he's not really suited to back up a. smith or b. keisel, but would be excellent for about 15 plays a game when we switched to a hybrid 4-3. assuming he can pass a physical, i dont think he would take 4-5 mil for just 15-20 plays a game.

i still think he will be given a call to test the waters though. thats what all smart teams do.

Jman
07-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Unless my math is off, the man is 33. It's a bit excessive to be paid big if you ask me.

ChronoCross
07-26-2007, 09:49 PM
http://www.dennisflood.com/photos/pow/2005-10/l-fresh-cheese-curds_7074.jpg

RoethlisBURGHer
07-26-2007, 10:21 PM
I think we make a call,but nothing happens.

I see Cincinatti going after him,especially with O'Dell out for another year and thier defense being so aweful.

Jman
07-26-2007, 10:26 PM
I see Cincinatti going after him,especially with O'Dell out for another year and thier defense being so aweful.

Yea didn't they slap the tag on their DE...what's his name again? Bengals' fans help me out...

SteelCityMan786
07-26-2007, 10:40 PM
http://www.dennisflood.com/photos/pow/2005-10/l-fresh-cheese-curds_7074.jpg

:offtopic:

CantStop85
07-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Yea didn't they slap the tag on their DE...what's his name again? Bengals' fans help me out...

Justin Smith.

I'm pretty sure they won't sign Simeon Rice...first of all, he can't replace Odell because he's not a linebacker. Second of all, they have a pretty good starting duo in Robert Geathers and Justin Smith. Signing Rice would be like having another DE on lease for a year, except older and injured.

I'm not sure Rice has much left in the tank. And there's a reason he failed his physical. He hasn't recovered from his injury yet.

tony hipchest
07-26-2007, 11:49 PM
:offtopic:whats "off topic" about saying the idea of calling rice for an interview is cheesy or about as good as fresh cheese curds?

its no more "off topic" than using an "off topic" emoticon.

Galax Steeler
07-27-2007, 05:18 AM
I think some off team will over pay him.

revefsreleets
07-31-2007, 05:18 PM
Giants and Lions are interested. He's going to get paid.

Atlanta Dan
07-31-2007, 05:23 PM
I heard he was being brought in to pass a physical with the Giants, since they have their issues with Strahan.

revefsreleets
07-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Osi Umenyiora (yes, I cut and pasted that one) is not happy.