PDA

View Full Version : Tempers Flare at Steelers Camp

The Duke
07-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Receivers vs. defensive backs as tempers flare at Steelers camp
By The Associated Press
Saturday, July 28, 2007

LATROBE The Pittsburgh Steelers don't play their first exhibition games until a week from Sunday, but already there is rivalry developing in training camp: the wide receivers against the defensive backs.

A few minutes after safety Tyrone Carter yanked wide receiver Nate Washington to the ground and the two began scuffling during the team's lone practice Saturday, Hines Ward yelled at safety Anthony Smith for what he felt were several cheap hits on receiver Willie Reid.

Ward decided to step in, he said, because new coach Mike Tomlin and his assistants were permitting Reid to get hit hard when he wasn't expecting it.

"It's been happening all day," Ward complained, still agitated even after catching extra passes following the nearly two-hour practice. "Yeah, you do it one time, but you don't let it keep happening and happening. If the coaches ain't going to stay anything about it, then hell, maybe a player has to stay something about it. Let's be smart, we're on the same team, we're not the
opponent."

Reid, limited to one game as rookie last season because of a foot injury, is willing to absorb some contact during non-scrimmage conditions but doesn't want any repeats of Saturday.

"It's nothing personal, or nothing I'm going back in there (to the locker room) and get upset about. I like a little contact every now and then, but nothing excessive," Reid said. "Nothing that should go on past tomorrow and the next day. Until the preseason games, that should be it."

Smith put Reid down hard during a routine passing drill that was being run at less than game speed.

"Willie's slowing up on the play and somebody hits him," Ward said. "How far do you go to be cleared out of the way? We don't need a man to go down off something stupid. You lose somebody off a great hit? C'mon."

The twin flareups came as the first week of the Steelers' first camp under Tomlin is winding down, and may illustrate to him one of the challenges of being an NFL head coach. Namely, how to develop a physical, tough-minded team without crossing the line and becoming a dirty one that hurts itself by drawing poor penalties and relying too much on emotion.

"It's competitive and that's what training camp is about," Tomlin said. "You'd much rather say 'Whoa' than 'Sic 'em,' So we're having to say 'Whoa' a little bit. The main thing is to stay professional and leave it on the grass."

Smith, a third-round pick from Syracuse a year ago, is pressing Ryan Clark at free safety by attempting to show he can be physical and a strong downfield defender. Reid, also a third-rounder last year, is attempting to make an impression after getting little out of his rookie season.

"I know at times tempers are going to flare," Tomlin said. "Part of building this team is understanding and controlling our emotions, because they're going to flare on Sundays in the fall. It's also showing your ability to take some blows and catch some balls and bounce back. Willie Reid is distinguishing himself because of some of the things that are happening."

Carter blamed himself for getting upset at Washington, and Tomlin cautioned Carter would have been penalized during a game.

"I had to keep my poise and not get a stupid penalty like that," Carter said. "I'm not going to let anybody throw no ball at me. ... But I acted crazy by doing that."

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes, last year's first-rounder, practiced for the first time after sitting out four days with an unspecified medical problem not related to football. Holmes skipped team drills but participated in individual drills.

"He's going to do everything tomorrow (Sunday) so he can start catching up," Tomlin said.

First-round pick Lawrence Timmons (groin) sat out a third consecutive afternoon practice, and Tomlin offered no timetable for his return. Earlier, Tomlin called off a planned morning practice and did so for Sunday, when the Steelers will practice only once.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_519553.html

The Duke
07-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Maybe Anthony Smith should calm down on the big hits against his teammates, but you gotta love his passion, he's definitely a hard hitting steeler, and he's proving it

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2007, 07:15 PM
I understand were Hines is coming from and props to him for sticking up for his fellow WR....But I love how Tomlin didn't tell the DB's to lay off.......He should let the guys work it out themselves.....You never want to calm that killer instinct a player has.....I'm telling Anthony Smith is the enforcer of this team on defense...WRs beware....

OneForTheToe
07-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Receivers vs. defensive backs as tempers flare at Steelers camp
By The Associated Press
Saturday, July 28, 2007

LATROBE
"It's been happening all day," Ward complained, still agitated even after catching extra passes following the nearly two-hour practice. "Yeah, you do it one time, but you don't let it keep happening and happening. If the coaches ain't going to stay anything about it, then hell, maybe a player has to stay something about it. Let's be smart, we're on the same team, we're not the
opponent."

That's the (coach) Hines we all know. Maybe coach Tomlin should real the db's in a bit, however? Save it for the Saints boys.

Jman
07-28-2007, 07:40 PM
They said practice would be tough...

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-28-2007, 09:06 PM
I love the intensity at practice and it will help in the long run of the season but Anthony Smith can not be taking out our players in training camp. Save that for game day Anthony.

I also think this article says a lot about Willie Reid and hopefully the foot thing was just a flook and he will be healthy all season and be a good contributer to the team on O and ST.

Jman
07-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Hmm - perhaps Anthony Smith has some learning to do? Last year he has the issue of trotting on the field and that needed to be addressed. Now we have this incident...Hmm...

X-Terminator
07-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Heh, I love it. I don't want to see anyone get hurt in practice, but how can you not like to see the boys get after it? All that shows is that everyone cares, and everyone is hungry - two things I did not see a whole lot of this time last year.

Edman
07-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Smith has intensity and wants to kill some people. Can't blame him for that.

They do have a point: they are teammates. Take it bit easy, Anthony. The season will come soon enough. You'll get your opportunities to lay out the likes of Chad, T.J Douche, Braylon Edwards, and Mark Clayton soon enough.

nicesteel4life
07-28-2007, 11:41 PM
I was there today and seen the hits! Yes Anthony did clean some clock a little, but he did help him up and Reid took it well at that time. Anthony needs to save it a little becuase from what I seen today he is going to bump Clark already. Carter and Nate fight was over being ****y. Funny thing is the signed autographs after practice pretty much side by side, so dont think there is any bad feelings there.The practices as a whole are more intense than ever under Cowher. Asking players as they were done, they all are enjoying the intesity. Yes they need not to hurt each other, but from what I seen there all trying to impress. The defense and offense are looking very good for only 1 week of practice.

Da Steeler Soprano
07-29-2007, 12:26 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know who didnt know already that Nate Washington and Tyrone Carter got into a scuffle at training camp today.

Its no big deal these things happen. I was there (with a V.I.P. field pass) so I saw everything happen, and its nothing major that the media is blowing it up to be. The players afterwards even made fun of the fight when Ben jokingly jumped on Farriors back and the two play fighted.

i was waiting for autographs by the locker room as always and both Nate and Tyrone had to sign autographs together. I asked Nate if everything was cool with him and TC and he said thier fine, and that Tomlin is making them sign a autograph together for every single person there.

The Duke
07-29-2007, 12:42 AM
Great idea by Tomlin

Preacher
07-29-2007, 12:44 AM
Here is the money quote for me...

Willie Reid is distinguishing himself because of some of the things that are happening."

Now THAT is a great thing....

Preacher
07-29-2007, 12:47 AM
I would not be surprised...

Wait until an 11 on 11 drill, when they do a draw play.. or short pass play... Ward is going to line up Anthony Smith... and crush him.

then again, Smith would probably pop up, say nice hit.. and continue on.

Preacher
07-29-2007, 01:39 AM
Great idea by Tomlin

Yep.... Once again, it shows his ability to coach...

and I love the fact that they are scrapping.... and the fact that Ben and Farrior are making fun of it is even better!

Elvis
07-29-2007, 06:47 AM
Just got through reading this article on Steelers.com and I love the fact that our defense is wanting to make a statement, but ya know what? I think that they are making it the wrong way.. they are hitting hard, but it sounds like they still cant cover anyone...
I dont think that Hines Ward would come out and say anything if it were not kind of bad. By the way it sounds... its just our defensive backs still cant cover our WR's little less anyone else's. It just seems to me that the DB's and S's need to work on their cover skills more. I love the fact that our secondary is probablly 2nd to none in tackling ability, but you must cover a little bit also.
:helmet::tt02:

stillers4me
07-29-2007, 07:02 AM
I can't wait until we get there!!!

Remember Tomlin saying that he would be watching and the new team captains would reveal themselves as camp goes on?? I think he is letting the guys work these things out themselves and watching who steps up as leaders. I love how hungry and energized they are.......but take in easy on each other, guys!! Save it for the enemies!

Galax Steeler
07-29-2007, 07:03 AM
I have to agree with ward on this one you don't want to hurt somebody before the season starts.

Livinginthe past
07-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Wow. A genuinely interesting article based on training camp!

I'd love to know whether Ward thinks that the DB's have got together and decided to take no prisoners, or whether its something that has come down from Tomlin.

It seems like there are some running battles between offense and defense - is it a coincidence that Smith has picked Reid out for special attention each time, or is he just the guy that he is expected to cover.

Anyone know why Washington threw the ball in Carters face?

I know Len Pasquerelli tried to hint that Steelers practices have been bordering on blood lust (before he retracted the article) with the big hits and the appearance of the 'Oklahoma drill'.

This sounds like an army camp.

rog
07-29-2007, 08:56 AM
There is an article about this on SteelsersLive.com. It's from Peter King and it is about Hines Ward's comments about the hard hitting that's going on, and it makes an allegation that he is not drinking Tomlin's Koolaide.

LarryNJ
07-29-2007, 09:27 AM
I take it as the DB are fighting hard for a starting job. I don't see a problem with it. I like the fact that Reid held onto the ball both times. Maybe we found someone who can hold onto a punt. I understand where Hines is coming from, he's sticking up for his fellow WR. But it's the coaching staffs call on when to put a stop to it not his.

83-Steelers-43
07-29-2007, 09:27 AM
"It's been happening all day," Ward complained, still agitated even after catching extra passes following the nearly two-hour practice. "Yeah, you do it one time, but you don't let it keep happening and happening. If the coaches ain't going to stay anything about it, then hell, maybe a player has to stay something about it. Let's be smart, we're on the same team, we're not the opponent."

No offense to 'coach' Hines Ward, but he already has his starting job and money in the bank. It's pretty easy for him to tell Anthony Smith to calm it down. Hit away Anthony, hit away and get that starting job.

"It's competitive and that's what training camp is about," Tomlin said. "You'd much rather say 'Whoa' than 'Sic 'em,' So we're having to say 'Whoa' a little bit. The main thing is to stay professional and leave it on the grass."

"I know at times tempers are going to flare," Tomlin said. "Part of building this team is understanding and controlling our emotions, because they're going to flare on Sundays in the fall. It's also showing your ability to take some blows and catch some balls and bounce back. Willie Reid is distinguishing himself because of some of the things that are happening."

Thank you coach Tomlin. After witnessing last year's team, I'll take this type of play over over a soft, complacent team while watching them get physically dominated by the Jags and Ravens. Hines Ward has already played the part of owner when he mildly (compared to Faneca) voiced his displeasure with the Tomlin hiring. Then he complained about the Steelers letting Porter walk and now he's playing head coach during training camp.

I'll make this one easy for Hines Ward.....

Dan Rooney II = Owner

Mike Tomlin = Coach

Hines Ward = Player

Stlrs4Life
07-29-2007, 10:02 AM
This is typical camp happenings.

SteelerWatch
07-29-2007, 10:08 AM
To some extent I see the receivers' point of view, but at the same time this is their dress rehearsal for the season. You need to learn how to take a hit and hold on to the ball, and I don't want that happening during game time. I'd like to know before we play Cleveland who can't hold on to the ball.

I do like the attitude of the DBs though.

83-Steelers-43
07-29-2007, 10:19 AM
I think it's also worth noting that according to FSN Pittsburgh, Reid was talking trash on the defense before Smith decided to lay him out.

fansince'76
07-29-2007, 11:05 AM
As long as nobody gets injured out of it, I have no problems with it. Nice to hear the fire is back.

Livinginthe past
07-29-2007, 11:09 AM
I didn't see this thread originally - seems to be on the same subject as the linked.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=18237

The Duke
07-29-2007, 01:07 PM
I think it's also worth noting that according to FSN Pittsburgh, Reid was talking trash on the defense before Smith decided to lay him out.

Do we got a new Porter :wink02:

HometownGal
07-29-2007, 04:50 PM
I love the intensity at TC this season and kudos to Tomlin suggesting that the guys work out their issues amongst themselves. :thumbsup: I believe if things would get totally out of hand or some cheap shots were thrown, Tomlin would step to the guilty parties in a heartbeat.

I love Hines dearly, but c'mon - shut your yap and take those hits like a pro WR instead of whining. Whaddya want - a love tap? Come the regular season, you're more than likely going to take much harder hits than those you are receiving by your teammates in TC.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2007, 04:56 PM
I see Hine's point.....He just doesn't want one of our guys to get hurt during practice....But at the same time I'm glad Tomlin isn't telling the DB's to lay off.........Let the guys work it out......Nothing wrong with Hines letting the DB's know they're not facing the Ravens WR's in practice...lol

I just can't wait until Aug. 5th....I feel sorry for Colston,Henderson and the rest of the Saints WR core....If Smith is blasting his own team mates like this....What is he going to do to the WRs on the other team?lol

RoethlisBURGHer
07-29-2007, 08:31 PM
I definatly agree with Hines on this one.I don't wanna see amy of our guys get injured by anyone on our defense.If they get hurt by someone on the other team,I can deal with it.But if someone gets hurt by his own teammate,it'll make Tomlin look bad.

I love the fact though that Smith is laying the smack down.He wants to win the starting job.He also wants to take someone out,but he needs to do that to wide recievers that wear a different helmet.

Preacher
07-29-2007, 08:52 PM
I definatly agree with Hines on this one.I don't wanna see amy of our guys get injured by anyone on our defense.If they get hurt by someone on the other team,I can deal with it.But if someone gets hurt by his own teammate,it'll make Tomlin look bad.

I love the fact though that Smith is laying the smack down.He wants to win the starting job.He also wants to take someone out,but he needs to do that to wide recievers that wear a different helmet.

Problem is... He wouldn't get the chance to show it if he saved it for gametime.

fansince'76
07-29-2007, 10:13 PM
I see Hine's point.....He just doesn't want one of our guys to get hurt during practice....

Please, don't get me wrong, I have no problems with Hines sticking up for fellow WRs within a team setting. I take issue when he voices these concerns to the press as opposed to talking to Tomlin one-on-one about it. As a team leader, Hines has earned the right to Tomlin's ear, and from everything I've heard and read so far, Tomlin is receptive and will listen. Just keep it out of the press, is all I ask.

Preacher
07-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Please, don't get me wrong, I have no problems with Hines sticking up for fellow WRs within a team setting. I take issue when he voices these concerns to the press as opposed to talking to Tomlin one-on-one about it. As a team leader, Hines has earned the right to Tomlin's ear, and from everything I've heard and read so far, Tomlin is receptive and will listen. Just keep it out of the press, is all I ask.

you got a good point...

The Steeler way is NOT to run things through the press.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2007, 10:19 PM

Do we know for certain Hines is going to press? The reporters might just be reporting what they saw and heard at camp.....I love the hitting thats going and I'm glad Tomlin isn't telling the DBs to lay off.....I just see were Hines was coming from...I don't want any of our guys hurt either but at the same time I don't want our DBs to lose their killer instinct...So as a HC you have to walk a fine line and I think Tomlin is doing that so far.......:thumbsup:

I just can't wait to see Smith lay out some WRs this year during the season...I think he should make a list like CJ's......

First up on Smith's KO List is Braylon Edwards.....week1.....lol

Preacher
07-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Do we know for certain Hines is going to press? The reporters might just be reporting what they saw and heard at camp.....I love the hitting thats going and I'm glad Tomlin isn't telling the DBs to lay off.....I just see were Hines was coming from...I don't want any of our guys hurt either but at the same time I don't want our DBs to lose their killer instinct...So as a HC you have to walk a fine line and I think Tomlin is doing that so far.......:thumbsup:

I just can't wait to see Smith lay out some WRs this year during the season...I think he should make a list like CJ's......

I think that would make a great thread...

TackleMeBen
07-29-2007, 10:30 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup: i am all for that. i hate to say this b/c i am a huge michigan fan but edwards needs to shut up sometimes. and anyone that knocks him out is #1 in my book.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2007, 10:34 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup: i am all for that. i hate to say this b/c i am a huge michigan fan but edwards needs to shut up sometimes. and anyone that knocks him out is #1 in my book.

I'm a Michigan fan also......Braylon was my guy at Michigan...But when he plays the Steelers he is the enemy...lol So I hope Smith's KOs him.....lol Don't hurt Braylon to serious though....Now Kellen "Soldier Boy" Winslow on the other hand.......I just won't comment on what I would like to see Smith do to him....lol....I can't stand Soldier Boy..........

fansince'76
07-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Do we know for certain Hines is going to press? The reporters might just be reporting what they saw and heard at camp.....

"It's been happening all day," Ward complained, still agitated even after catching extra passes following the nearly two-hour practice. "Yeah, you do it one time, but you don't let it keep happening and happening. If the coaches ain't going to say anything about it, then hell, maybe a player has to stay something about it. Let's be smart, we're on the same team, we're not the opponent."

Sounds like something that would be said directly to a reporter as opposed to being overheard, to me at least.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Sounds like something that would be said directly to a reporter as opposed to being overheard, to me at least.

I see now.....missed that part...Yea I agree don't complain through the media....But hey I think it was just frustration after a tough physical practice....I don't think Ward has any issues with the DBs.....I heard the WRs and DBs ate dinner with each after wards...lol

TackleMeBen
07-29-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm a Michigan fan also......Braylon was my guy at Michigan...But when he plays the Steelers he is the enemy...lol So I hope Smith's KOs him.....lol Don't hurt Braylon to serious though....Now Kellen "Soldier Boy" Winslow on the other hand.......I just won't comment on what I would like to see Smith do to him....lol....I can't stand Soldier Boy..........

oh i love you now...lol :hug:.. I cant stand kellen " i tore my knee up jumping a curb on my motorcycle being cool" winslow... he made some comments last year about the steelers that really p'd me off too... so yeah smith can take him out too :thumbsup:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2007, 11:12 PM
oh i love you now...lol :hug:.. I cant stand kellen " i tore my knee up jumping a curb on my motorcycle being cool" winslow... he made some comments last year about the steelers that really p'd me off too... so yeah smith can take him out too :thumbsup:

At least somebody loves me....:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny: Yea Winslow is a tool...I loved when Joey called him a bad name for a homosexual.....:sofunny:

Crushzilla
07-30-2007, 12:30 AM
I just got home this evening from Ravens Country...

Can't help but notice the first part.

Carter in a scruff with.... NATE WASHINGTON!

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing both of them go.

Preacher
07-30-2007, 12:50 AM

You know... now that Nate is showing emotion... if he can show some soft hands as well...

I would be love to keep him... and I have posted numerous times how I would like to keep Carter for a number 2 SS.

83-Steelers-43
07-30-2007, 01:18 AM
Do we got a new Porter :wink02:

Who needs a new, tough, hard Joey Porter when we have Coach Hines Ward? He will tell Tomlin how to run this camp and how to coach this team. I can't wait!! Rumor here in Pittsburgh is that Hines has purchased the team and is now coaching the team. Tomlin has been fired. Thank God for Hines Ward. My Steeler savior.

jjpro11
07-30-2007, 01:55 AM
smith is turning out to be a pretty ruthless and crazy player... and i like it!

TackleMeBen
07-30-2007, 09:57 AM
At least somebody loves me....:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny: Yea Winslow is a tool...I loved when Joey called him a bad name for a homosexual.....:sofunny:

so did i.. was like no he didnt just call him that.. :thumbsup:

RoethlisBURGHer
07-30-2007, 10:29 AM
I hope he takes The F'n Soulja out for good.I can't stand that punk.Make him land on his knee so hard all three ligaments pop off of the bone.

TackleMeBen
07-30-2007, 01:54 PM

i am sorry to hear that you were in ravens country.. i have a friend that lives in baltimore and is a huge ravens fan. he even bought my son a ray lewis jersey :banging:. and while we were on vacation in pittsbugh last summer he put in on him and was walking downtown with my son..

Crushzilla
07-30-2007, 02:21 PM
and I have posted numerous times how I would like to keep Carter for a number 2 SS.

My concern about Carter is that he doesn't fit the mesh of this team. He rewards himself for a good play by acting like a jack-off.

I also recall at least one stupid, stupid personal foul calls on him last season.

Washington? Well. I've made my feelings on Nate Washington pretty clear in the past.

stlrtruck
07-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Ah nothing like the sounds of a few pads poppin' and a few heads shaking in the mid-summer heat!

Tomlin made the players fully aware of what was going to happen at camp. It looks like the new sheriff has some different laws!!

GBMelBlount
07-30-2007, 09:57 PM
This is a great thread, Smith, attitude, kick butt, etc. Smith has great potential. Bottom line is it says Reid was nailed with an attitude several times. Not even going full speed In this particular instance. I think Reid has great potential. How will you feel if Smith knocks his block off & he's gone for another season? Everyone wants to prove their worth, but anything can happen at any intensity, so why push the envelope? We're PRACTICING ourselves, not the Bengals. If Tomlin "lets things go" to usher in a new post Cowher tough guy era & someone is ruined, the Steelers & we as fans will suffer.

83-Steelers-43
07-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Maybe Reid should tone down the trash talking on the defense before Smith puts him down for good. Just a suggestion. Keep up the hard and good work Anthony.

GBMelBlount
07-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Maybe Reid should tone down the trash talking on the defense before Smith puts him down for good. Just a suggestion. Keep up the hard and good work Anthony.

Completely agree. However, I didn't see or hear the dynamics and have seen no quotes. Testosterone, 20's, do the math. Regardless, I think Tomlin should protect his players for the regular season. Wouldn't you agree?

83-Steelers-43
07-31-2007, 01:29 AM
Completely agree. However, I didn't see or hear the dynamics and have seen no quotes. Testosterone, 20's, do the math. Regardless, I think Tomlin should protect his players for the regular season. Wouldn't you agree?

As I stated before, I have absolutely no problem with the hard hitting. If you want to talk trash, expect to be hit.

GBMelBlount
07-31-2007, 07:25 PM
Smith put Reid down hard during a routine passing drill that was being run at less than game speed.

"Willie's slowing up on the play and somebody hits him," Ward said. "How far do you go to be cleared out of the way? We don't need a man to go down off something stupid. You lose somebody off a great hit? C'mon."

Trying to take your own teammates head off at less than practice speed is a cheap shot. Period.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-31-2007, 07:37 PM
The DBs and WRs had dinner afterwards so I'm sure all is good in Steeler Land.........Just a little hard hitting going on thats it....Nothing wrong with the hitting going on...