PDA

View Full Version : Bart Star on Bill Cowher...

BB2W
09-19-2005, 11:20 PM
I was listening to ESPN radio's Sportsbash hosted by Erik Kuselias on my way to school today, and they were interveiwing Packer great Bart Star. Erik Kuselias asked him what current coach reminded him most of Vince Lombardi....

Star responded by saying it was a good question, and he could not say since he is not a player, but.... If he had to choose a current coach based on demeanor, philosophy, and beliefs. He would have to go with Bill Parcels, or "that coach in Pittsburgh, I like what he has done".

I thought that was a cool quote. :cool:

Suitanim
09-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Bart Starr doesn't believe that Bill Belichick is the greatest coach of any sport in any era? He obviously knows absolutely nothing about football...

BB2W
09-20-2005, 12:31 AM
I am sure Bart Star knows something about football... :rolleyes:

Nothing was ever said about Bill Belichick, or being the greatest coach.

He just asked him what current coach reminded him of Vince Lomabrdi...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-20-2005, 12:37 AM
I think u missed the sarcasm there bro :wink:

Ambridge
09-20-2005, 12:42 AM
I'm pretty much sure I saw Bart Starr answering the phones on the Monday Night Fund Raiser for Hurricane Katrina.
He's looking kinda old.........in his 70's I'd bet. :old:

ironcitychef
09-20-2005, 01:35 AM
Coolest story about Lombardi...

Word was Vince used to give his guys almost a sermon before every game. Preaching about what to do, what to avoid, over and over about being prepared. Well, one game he decided nothing he could say would fire his guys up enough to get them ready to play any better so he hatched a brilliant plan...The players were in the locker room ready for his 1/2 hour rant about the days game. Everyone in front of their locker waiting for the fire and brimstone...10 minutes pass and no sign of coach...10 more minutes pass, no coach. Players begin to whisper and give each other concerned looks...5 minutes more...6 minutes more...7 minutes mo...!!!'BANG'!!! 3 minutes before field time, Vince kicks open the door to the locker room, stands with gameplan clenched in his fist. Silence comes over the locker room. Then the coach utters the 4 most important words for the day..."Green Bay Packer Football". He turns around and proceeds to the field. The players sit shocked for about half a minute before the pride boils through them and ignites them into a frenzy. The blaze out onto the field and demolish the other team.

Suitanim
09-20-2005, 08:36 AM
I think u missed the sarcasm there bro :wink:

I thought I exaggerated enough...I'll turn it up a notch next time I'm trying to ridicule Belichick...

Remember the old SNL skits about "Da Bears"? Ditka versus a Tornado? DITKA!

BB2W
09-20-2005, 11:38 AM
I thought I exaggerated enough...I'll turn it up a notch next time I'm trying to ridicule Belichick...

Remember the old SNL skits about "Da Bears"? Ditka versus a Tornado? DITKA!

I guesss I did miss it. I thought you were trying to say the Patriots are our daddies. :grin:

One of these lil guys always helps.... :rolleyes:

If you look at the two guys Star said remind him of Lombardi.... they are kinda similar. Both Cowher and Parcells are defensive minded, run the ball first on offense, and preech special teams. Not to mention they are both good motivators that will yell at a player on gameday.

squirreljr_98
09-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Bart Starr doesn't believe that Bill Belichick is the greatest coach of any sport in any era? He obviously knows absolutely nothing about football...

HA! ...Good one!! :funny:

clevestinks
09-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Bart Starr, is pretty smart. I just hope he meant Cowher, and not Wannestadt! LOL LOL LOL