PDA

View Full Version : Bring on the Pats !!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-20-2005, 12:47 AM
OK, this is the blast furnace, so let's hear it! The Pats are coming to town and I'd venture a safe guess that there isnt 1 Steelers player, coach, trainer, waterboy, or fan who isnt thinking about what happened in the AFCCG.

So let's do it, let's put a hurtin on the Pats !!!

And you Patriots fans, do you think you guys will take it on sunday?

I don't !!! :grin:

ironcitychef
09-20-2005, 01:07 AM
SF and BRC, can this board with all its high tech gizmos trace how many Pats made posts between them losing to Carolina and now? Just a hunch, but they were on such a roll leading into the game, but haven't really seen anything after. Sure one or two posts being gentlemen and declaring a crappy game, but shouldn't they at least not use our excuse about the PATS losing the game and not CAR winning?

I just hope we treat this like another speedbump in the road to Detroit and don't make it more than it is. A game against an AFC team that could help post season positioning. Winning this game will mean nothing towards all those AFCCG in the past or SuperBowls in the future.

Interesting note for the game, last year they were without Dillon and they said it made a difference. We are now without Bus and Duce, which actually will make the difference as well. Parker runs wild against a front four that gets tired due to lack of depth. Troy, Haggans pressure Brady just enough. Porter and Farrior smell the screens. Ike and Ricardo match up with the WR.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-20-2005, 01:21 AM
Well yeah, actually if you click on their profiles it will list all of their posts to date,and I believe most recent first..but u can also see it in the admin panels as well :grin:

But yes Im anxious to see how this plays out from the dillon standpoint too..last year all we heard all around the league was how the Pats didnt have dillon, or this player healthy, or that player healthy..so this year..They have dillon, but they have lost ALOT of personnel and there is alot of new faces trying to come together..

So if we win, will there be excuses or just a good game/congrats to the better team that day type of thing.

We've got our share of injuries too... so lets cut the shit and get to playing the game 11 on 11 every play and BRING IT !!! Cuz you know we're gonna !!!

Ambridge
09-20-2005, 01:31 AM
It's gonna be a Slugfest all game long and it would sure be sweet to send Brady and Belichick out of town on a two game losing streak.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-20-2005, 07:47 AM
No doubt, they need to be seeing black n gold in their nightmares on sunday nite after this game !!! The panther stuck it to em, and we need to do the same !!!

Suitanim
09-20-2005, 08:28 AM
What is best in life?

To crush the Patriots, to see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!

hardwork
09-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Talk talk talk. Bullshit bullshit bullshit.

Suitanim
09-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Talk talk talk. Bullshit bullshit bullshit.

It's a line from a movie that I took a couple liberties with...lighten up, Francis...

hardwork
09-20-2005, 11:06 AM
I wasn't talkin' to you suit.

Prosdo
09-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Should be an awesome game. This will definitely be one hell of a test for both teams.

Livinginthe past
09-20-2005, 01:57 PM
I dont know - check your stats Steelers fans - im sure I posted just the same amount after the Carolina fiasco.

Anyways - this game should be very interesting.

The Steelers clearly have form and confidence on their side and dont appear to have really needed to get out of 2nd gear in their two games.

The Patriots on the other hand will have had a wake up call with the loss last week - there really wasn't one aspect of the Patriots game that I would rate above average (apart from run D)

The thing is - the Patriots are now battle hardened after making fairly heavy weather of the raiders first up and then getting beat the week after - the Steelers lack of high quality competition might well cost them in a game that is sure to be a slug-fest from beginning to end.

Who can tell how this game will pan out - assuming that the Pats can stop the flow of nonsense penalties then I would think the key for them would be stopping the run - and Wille Parker in particular.

Ben wobbled badly when forced to carry the team last year in the playoffs - the game plan will be to take away his biggest weapon - the playaction.

Should be a great match-up.

NM

BlitzburghRockCity
09-20-2005, 04:45 PM
Everybody said that exact same shit last year before the eagles and pats game.. oh the Steelers havent played anybody, oh ben is just lucky, they wont win against quality opponents!! :yuck: And what happened again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It should be an awesome game to watch !! I was I was going to it !!

Cape Cod Steel Head
09-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Face it Ben was spent at the end of last season. If Slick Willie goes for another hundred ,and I believe he will, you're all done.

clevestinks
09-20-2005, 07:10 PM
I know I`m biased. But I have a good feeling about this game. I do beleive that we are on a roll, and we will continue for now, too roll. I know both victories were against weaker opponents, but they came at a good time for us. We needed Ben to get some confidence after a sub par preseason. And Staley and Bettis both getting injured, was a blessing. I dont plan on another 15 victories. But I do see us winning this game. I am by no means counting the Pats out of the big picture. I believe they have some changes to make after losing both coordinators. BB will straighten them out.
I wasnt feeling it two weeks ago, all the talk about sophmore slumps, injuries to starting rb`s, holdouts. But we are playing good football as a team, better than last year to start the season. I feel it now. I do believe in "One game at a time". But I also think it "DETROIT OR BUST"

P.S. I do have some respect for HW and LITP, they are always around. I dont believe that they would run and hide after a Steelers victory. Enjoy the game everyone.

But Steelers Fans, Enjoy it more.

hardwork
09-21-2005, 01:50 AM
"I do have some respect for HW and LITP"

You gotta watch this Cleve guy. You notice he inserted the word "some" in there. He didn't say, I respect HW and LITP. He said I do have "some" respect...........

Well, I do have SOME respect for my ex-wife.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-21-2005, 02:01 AM
well see we have to make u feel welcome and let you know we appreciate you coming around..because we do. Its always a good time talking trash and football in general with you guys..but ya know we still gotta keep it real cuz we're the black n gold :grin:

Livinginthe past
09-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Everybody said that exact same shit last year before the eagles and pats game.. oh the Steelers havent played anybody, oh ben is just lucky, they wont win against quality opponents!! :yuck: And what happened again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It should be an awesome game to watch !! I was I was going to it !!

I certainly wouldn't class Ben as lucky at all - I just thing he met with a Pats D on its game and head coach with more formations and 'looks' than the entire Madden series.

Ben is an excellent QB - but if the Pats D is playing well then they can make even the best QB's (see Peyton Manning) look exteremely average.

This game should be a real eye opener as to where our respective teams are at.

Cheers

NM

Livinginthe past
09-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Face it Ben was spent at the end of last season. If Slick Willie goes for another hundred ,and I believe he will, you're all done.

Check out the next Bill Belicheck - it took a few minutes to work out all the intracacies and in depth analysis your game plan indicates!!

Im not sure about the Big Ben was 'spent' line either - maybe he should take a little holiday midseason to keep himself fresh for the playoffs this year....

My own game analysis? If we can keep the Steelers to less points than us I think we are sure-fire winners.

Cheers

NM

Hammer67
09-21-2005, 03:52 PM
Check out the next Bill Belicheck - it took a few minutes to work out all the intracacies and in depth analysis your game plan indicates!!

Im not sure about the Big Ben was 'spent' line either - maybe he should take a little holiday midseason to keep himself fresh for the playoffs this year....

My own game analysis? If we can keep the Steelers to less points than us I think we are sure-fire winners.

Cheers

NM

The one question I always had is that If Bill B. is such a genius....what happened with Cleveland??? :confused:

Anyway, Pats aren't the same team, lost two great coordinators, depleted secondary, lost two starting middle linebackers....

The Steelers improved...O Line, recieving corps., running game (arguable), defensive line.

Anyway...I don't think the Pats are gonna get the fourth one this year...

Good related article:

Rooney, Walsh weigh in on Patriots dynasty (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_376283.html)

Hammer

Livinginthe past
09-21-2005, 04:28 PM
The one question I always had is that If Bill B. is such a genius....what happened with Cleveland??? :confused:

Anyway, Pats aren't the same team, lost two great coordinators, depleted secondary, lost two starting middle linebackers....

The Steelers improved...O Line, recieving corps., running game (arguable), defensive line.

Anyway...I don't think the Pats are gonna get the fourth one this year...

Good related article:

Rooney, Walsh weigh in on Patriots dynasty (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_376283.html)

Hammer

Im sure you realise that a coach cant get it done if he doesn't have the raw materials to work with.

Two big factors in BB being a great success at NE

1. He has the support of the FO - alot is made of his almost psychic understanding with Scott Pioli - they both like the same type of player and they both have a similar vision of what they want to achieve with the Pats and how its going to get done.

2. BB didnt have Tom Brady at Cleveland - I sincerely believe that TB is the single biggest influence on the Pats success over the last 4 years - he has consistently got it done with a lack of top-line talent on the offensive side of the ball to help him.

I take it you were 'out' when the Pats won it all last year then....?

I believe it wouldnt be too unfair to call their secondary 'depleted' that year too.

How much have the Steelers really improved in them areas you noted?

Not to put too fine a point on it - you played to rank bad teams so far - ya won handsomely for sure - but were you ever really tested?

Alot will be revealed in 4 days time.

Cheers

NM

BlitzburghRockCity
09-21-2005, 04:32 PM
I certainly wouldn't class Ben as lucky at all - I just thing he met with a Pats D on its game and head coach with more formations and 'looks' than the entire Madden series.

Ben is an excellent QB - but if the Pats D is playing well then they can make even the best QB's (see Peyton Manning) look exteremely average.

This game should be a real eye opener as to where our respective teams are at.

Cheers

NM

Most definately, Bill B has made his living with his defenses making the best of the best look completely stupid.

Another thing Ben has going for him is he has had over a year and 2 training camps practicing against the best defense in the league, so he sees all kinds of crazy ass looks and formations, which should serve to only help him as he progresses thru this year and sees it from other teams, angles and directions.

:cool:

Hammer67
09-22-2005, 06:59 AM
I take it you were 'out' when the Pats won it all last year then....?

I believe it wouldnt be too unfair to call their secondary 'depleted' that year too.

How much have the Steelers really improved in them areas you noted?

Not to put too fine a point on it - you played to rank bad teams so far - ya won handsomely for sure - but were you ever really tested?

Alot will be revealed in 4 days time.

Cheers

NM

Actually, "I" didn't play or get tested by anyone, the Steelers did... :poke: :grin:
And, hey, any given Sunday, man. Titans looked good this week against a team many thought would win the North...

I was "out" last year? No I remember last year's AFC championship and SB all to well. Not sure what that means.

And, yes, the Pat's secondary had some issues last year as well, but when you add the other factors I mentioned for this year and add them up, it doesn't look as rosey. Especially since Teddy Bruschi was the MAN (Harrison aside) in the AFC championship game. But, again, we shall see. I still think the biggest thing is the loss of the two middle linebackers which affects the run defense.

:mg: Steelers improved on the D Line by having Casey Hampton, the pro bowler NT return. THe O Line saw a big improvement with the return of Kendal Simmons and he has played brilliantly so far. Max Starks also looks to be an upgrade over Oliver Ross at Right Tackle. Ross played well enough last year but had beena turnstile for most of his career.

The secondary has gotten younger and faster and Polamalu looks even better this year starting with training camp. Buress was a great talent at WR but was also lazy. This year there is a lot of depth and talent at WR. Willie Parker got his chance to start and looks like Marshall Faulk through two games (but as you said they weren't really great teams with stingy rush defenses. But neither are the Pat's so far this year... :wink:)

Hammer

Livinginthe past
09-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Actually, "I" didn't play or get tested by anyone, the Steelers did... :poke: :grin:
And, hey, any given Sunday, man. Titans looked good this week against a team many thought would win the North...

I was "out" last year? No I remember last year's AFC championship and SB all to well. Not sure what that means.

And, yes, the Pat's secondary had some issues last year as well, but when you add the other factors I mentioned for this year and add them up, it doesn't look as rosey. Especially since Teddy Bruschi was the MAN (Harrison aside) in the AFC championship game. But, again, we shall see. I still think the biggest thing is the loss of the two middle linebackers which affects the run defense.

:mg: Steelers improved on the D Line by having Casey Hampton, the pro bowler NT return. THe O Line saw a big improvement with the return of Kendal Simmons and he has played brilliantly so far. Max Starks also looks to be an upgrade over Oliver Ross at Right Tackle. Ross played well enough last year but had beena turnstile for most of his career.

The secondary has gotten younger and faster and Polamalu looks even better this year starting with training camp. Buress was a great talent at WR but was also lazy. This year there is a lot of depth and talent at WR. Willie Parker got his chance to start and looks like Marshall Faulk through two games (but as you said they weren't really great teams with stingy rush defenses. But neither are the Pat's so far this year... :wink:)

Hammer

Hey Hammer,

Nice point first up - im forever confusing whole teams with individual posters on Steelers forums ha ha!

The 'out' comment was referring to the fact that we were running on 4th/5th choices at DB by the time the Post season started - youre saying we are banged up this year...we were in a much worse place last year and done ok.

FYI - the Pats run D has been just fine this year -

NE ranked 12th on YPC conceded (3.4)
Pitt ranked 17th (4.4)

NE ranked 12th in yards conceded (196)
Pitt ranked 17th (210)

Considering you have had large leads for most of your opening two games these stats probably come as something of a surprise.

Of course, our running game has been less than meteoric so far - im hoping the BIG GAME injects some life into the man Corey Dillon.

Cheers

NM

clevestinks
09-22-2005, 03:02 PM
"I do have some respect for HW and LITP"

You gotta watch this Cleve guy. You notice he inserted the word "some" in there. He didn't say, I respect HW and LITP. He said I do have "some" respect...........

Well, I do have SOME respect for my ex-wife.

I dont want to be labeled a sell out. I enjoy the rivalary, with knowledgable fans, like the two of you. I can take the abuse as long as the person knows what they are tlaking about. We do get some fans that dont know shit. Then we have to waste our time replying around thier ridiculous takes. Sorry I used the word "SOME" I didnt mean for you to take it the wrong way. Its just I would have more respect for you if you rooted for the Black And Gold. LOL :grin:

Hammer67
09-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Hey Hammer,

Nice point first up - im forever confusing whole teams with individual posters on Steelers forums ha ha!

The 'out' comment was referring to the fact that we were running on 4th/5th choices at DB by the time the Post season started - youre saying we are banged up this year...we were in a much worse place last year and done ok.

FYI - the Pats run D has been just fine this year -

Pitt ranked 17th (4.4)

Pitt ranked 17th (210)

Considering you have had large leads for most of your opening two games these stats probably come as something of a surprise.

Of course, our running game has been less than meteoric so far - im hoping the BIG GAME injects some life into the man Corey Dillon.

Cheers

NM

196 vs 210 isn't much of a difference! Considering a big chunk of that was Carr fleeing...er...scrambling for his life cause no one was open. :crutches:

These stats will level out as the season progresses...needless to say, we both agree that neither team faced a top tier running back yet. (You COULD count Dominack Davis, but I won't & Stephen Davis is still ??? after surgery...)

It will be an interesting game though...

Suitanim
09-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Pitt ranked 17th (4.4)

Pitt ranked 17th (210)

Just "Keepin it real" here. The rest of the stats tell the story.

Rushing TD's allowed:
Pitt 0
NE 3

1st Downs allowed by rushing:
Pitt 8
NE 12

In blowouts, while the Steelers are busy defending against spead formations with dime coverage, teams are sneaking in some running plays effectively. When it's short yardage or short field, the Steelers defense is stout.

Cape Cod Steel Head
09-22-2005, 04:32 PM

Cheers

NM
Theres a big difference between playing 11 games a season compared to his playing 17 last season. As for the "intracacies" and in depth analysis" Everyone and their mothers know we are going to run the ball down your throats until you stop us ,and that won't happen until the forth quarter when we put our scrubs in and sit on the lead.

Livinginthe past
09-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Just "Keepin it real" here. The rest of the stats tell the story.

Rushing TD's allowed:
Pitt 0
NE 3

1st Downs allowed by rushing:
Pitt 8
NE 12

In blowouts, while the Steelers are busy defending against spead formations with dime coverage, teams are sneaking in some running plays effectively. When it's short yardage or short field, the Steelers defense is stout.

Nice call there Suit - them stats to reflect fairly on some aspects of our respective run D's.

Its probably not much of an excuse...but all them 3 rushing TD's were gained from 1st and goals at the 1yd line....unless its the Colts we find it hardwork keeping teams down to 3 at that point.

Cheers

NM

Livinginthe past
09-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Theres a big difference between playing 11 games a season compared to his playing 17 last season. As for the "intracacies" and in depth analysis" Everyone and their mothers know we are going to run the ball down your throats until you stop us ,and that won't happen until the forth quarter when we put our scrubs in and sit on the lead.

You think there is no chance that that Cowher will let Big Ben come out throwing then? I know its the Steelers way to pound the ground - but I remember alot of complaints this off-season that recent Steelers teams have suffered from a lack of variety in their offensive play-calling.

Lets face it - if you are sitting at home (and are presumably not a current NFL football coach) then you seem to almost know as much as Cowher does about the shape your offense is going to take sunday - this cant be a good thing can it?

Cheers

NM

Suitanim
09-22-2005, 05:13 PM
It's week 3...stats mean just about nothing at this point.

Livinginthe past
09-22-2005, 05:18 PM
It's week 3...stats mean just about nothing at this point.

I agree - sometimes stats mean not much in week17 - but what the hey.....I feel like an NFL coach when I pillage NFL.om's database for random stats.....

Cheers

NM

Suitanim
09-22-2005, 05:24 PM
I agree - sometimes stats mean not much in week17 - but what the hey.....I feel like an NFL coach when I pillage NFL.om's database for random stats.....

Cheers

NM
Stats mean a lot more in baseball. It's something to be mindful of, but probably plays a lot less into actual gameplanning by NFL coaches than us average Joe fans think.

Cape Cod Steel Head
09-22-2005, 05:45 PM
You think there is no chance that that Cowher will let Big Ben come out throwing then? I know its the Steelers way to pound the ground - but I remember alot of complaints this off-season that recent Steelers teams have suffered from a lack of variety in their offensive play-calling.

Lets face it - if you are sitting at home (and are presumably not a current NFL football coach) then you seem to almost know as much as Cowher does about the shape your offense is going to take sunday - this cant be a good thing can it?

Cheers

NM
Everyone knows what the shape of our offense is, and until someone can stop it,thats what we will continue to do. I'd be really suprised if Ben puts it up more than 20 times.

Hammer67
09-22-2005, 07:46 PM

Cheers

NM

Clearly you didn't see the 2003 Steeler season!! :grin: TOMMY GUN!!!

I think you got it backwards...the last couple of seasons under Mularkey as OC, there were too many gadget plays, too much passing and not enough Steeler football which means pounding it until the cows come home then play action pass to score.

Last season the Steelers went back to this style of football and went 15-1 and back to the AFC Championship. With...a rookie QB. SO...playcalling, at least last year, was definitly not the problem...

Turnovers by a rookie QB in the AFC Championship game was the only problem.

Hammer

Hammer67
09-22-2005, 07:48 PM

Cheers

NM

Actually...the fun part is knowing exactly that and watching teams not be able to stop it... :smoker:

Suitanim
09-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Actually...the fun part is knowing exactly that and watching teams not be able to stop it... :smoker:

And, 2 games of stats aside, the Steelers outmatch the Pats at the LOS, and they will be hard pressed to stop our running attack. If they commit too much to the run, we pass...Ben ain't a rookie anymore.

ironcitychef
09-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Stats are important, but since its week 2 you can't really put much weight on avg's yards yet...so you gotta just take samples collected...

Rush attempts per game PIT is up 36 to 23.
Total rushing yards per game PIT is up 170 to 56

So yes you getting a high average yards in the 4th against a Carolina D playing back is quite fine. We will accept we gave up 4 yards a carry to TEN and HOU since we had them in 2nd/3rd and long all day.

Days end, our numbers show our system is working. Might not get the same results against you guys this Sunday, but we have plenty of faith in it. Your numbers show your system wont hold up all year, which shows come Sunday you need to have a plan B if Dillon doesn't get going and Brady is left to wait for Troy to come head hunting. As said, plenty will be revealed come Sunday. Been waiting to see it.

tony hipchest
09-23-2005, 01:52 PM

Cheers

NM
ben had 200 yds and 2 td by halftime of the 1st game and looked like he was gonna have the same by half of last weekend. while they do run alot its not like they havnt come out with guns firing. they just like to take big chunks at a time rather than dinking and dunking it downfield. while they got the personnel to do that i kinda think its counter productive. it dont help the steelers with time of possession and it doesnt keep their defense fresh. while cowher is predictable, it is by design. 16 times last year they won with the formula in place and everyone knows it. 2 times they lost. pretty good odds. they tried the spread formation and greatest show on turf route. it contributed to a 6-10 season (and thankfully the #11 pick in last years draft.)

Livinginthe past
09-23-2005, 06:10 PM
ben had 200 yds and 2 td by halftime of the 1st game and looked like he was gonna have the same by half of last weekend. while they do run alot its not like they havnt come out with guns firing. they just like to take big chunks at a time rather than dinking and dunking it downfield. while they got the personnel to do that i kinda think its counter productive. it dont help the steelers with time of possession and it doesnt keep their defense fresh. while cowher is predictable, it is by design. 16 times last year they won with the formula in place and everyone knows it. 2 times they lost. pretty good odds. they tried the spread formation and greatest show on turf route. it contributed to a 6-10 season (and thankfully the #11 pick in last years draft.)

If its good for 17 wins a year - then try not to waste them all on games before the AFCC this year.......

My argument was that if you are happy with getting to the post-season and no further then predictability is ok when you have as much talent as the Steelers do - but when you meet a team as good or better than the Steelers then you may need to do a little 'outside-of-the-box' thinking as regards playcalling.

Cheers

NM

ps spotted the reference to dink'n'dunk lol