PDA

View Full Version : Who is our top TE?

Elvis
07-29-2007, 08:04 AM
Just read the article about Matt Spaeth might being taking Heath Miller's job and wondered what everyone thinks about this? I thought that Heath just wasnt used or utilized enough last year, but the way some make it sound is that maybe he isnt as good as the FO thought a couple years ago when we drafted him No.1.
What do ya'll think about this subject and do you think that Miller was just underused last year or is he just sliding away on our depth chartt?

Galax Steeler
07-29-2007, 08:41 AM
I don' think matt will take the job from Heath but matt will be used alot on 2 tight end sets.

rog
07-29-2007, 10:04 AM
I love watching Miller play the guy almost never drops a pass and he is a monster to tackle you rarely see him get tackled by just one guy. I def. think he was under used last year. I still think we need him to produce for this new style O to be sucsessful. If this is true about Spaeth taking his job I hope it's because of his good performance and not because Miller is playing bad.

SteelerWatch
07-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Miller is the best until Spaeth or someone else proves otherwise. They're both award winning tight ends and will likely drive one another to improve. Tuman is probably on his last Steelers contract, so having them both will be huge.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Noway Spaeth starts over Heath Miller..............

steelersfanman92
07-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Miller will start but i think Spaeth will get a good amount touches

steelpride12
07-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Miller will no doubt get the start and Spaeth will prob. will the second TE i could not see Spaeth taking over unless Miller got hurt of was out-performed by Spaeth.

Mosca
07-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Think about it; if both the tight ends are top notch, what does that mean for our offense? I get weak thinking about it. We can line up with two TEs and two SEs on 3rd and 7, instead of 3 or 4 SEs! If the guys can run and catch OR block, then we can be completely unpredictable from that formation... and almost unstoppable. We can line up with them both tight, and then send one in motion into the slot; we can keep them both tight and then send one (or both) on post routes; we can have them both block and send FWP around either end; we can keep them both blocking in pass protection and use Ben on a bootleg; we can use them both to block on a draw play; we can keep them both in to block and have Verron as the target receiver; we can have one block and send the other on a flare over the middle and then use him as a downfield blocker!

Who is our top TE? If things work out the right way, they BOTH are! We can use them to create matchups that the other teams haven't thought of yet!

Tom

WWIIOwheelz
07-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Heath was underutilized last year for a number of reasons--- as the 3rd or 4th option on pass plays, Ben didn't get that far into his reads because of lack of protection and tunnel vision for the receivers. Opposing defenses also picked up on the fact that in 05, Miller was a favorite go-to guy when plays broke down because of his size, so they kept someone on him a lot more often than not.

I've said before, I like the idea of a 2 TE set with 2 wideouts. Ben will have a ton of options available to him throwing the ball this year.

SteelCityMan786
07-29-2007, 03:33 PM
I think Heath starts and if we do any 2 tight end sets as galax said, Spaeth will also be on the field with him.

ChronoCross
07-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Well there already talking about put Heath out in the 4 WR sets. So that would leave Spaeth in at TE at times. Miller has better blocking skills already then Spaeth but with time he will improve also. We should have the best tandom TEs in the league.

paw-n-maul-u
07-29-2007, 03:59 PM
This might just be optomisitcly weird thinking, but the drafting of speath is probably the best possible thing that could have happened for Millers career.

All greg olson's aside, we got the most well rounded TE in the draft, although from what ive read, Speath is having some trouble blocking, but hands of glue for sure.

Either way, speath will open things up for miller, who i believe is easily the most sure-handed receiving option on our team.

ChronoCross
07-29-2007, 04:02 PM
This might just be optomisitcly weird thinking, but the drafting of speath is probably the best possible thing that could have happened for Millers career.

All greg olson's aside, we got the most well rounded TE in the draft, although from what ive read, Speath is having some trouble blocking, but hands of glue for sure.

Either way, speath will open things up for miller, who i believe is easily the most sure-handed receiving option on our team.

True True..

MeanKevinGreene
07-29-2007, 04:58 PM
I think we are in an enviable position. Tomlin's quote about where they selected Spaeth says a lot about how talented he must be. Not only will they produce in the passing game, but those 2 are HUGE! Fast Willie has to be loving it!! As a result, some pressure will be taken off of the O-line as well.

Elvis
07-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Good point meankevingreene and welcome to the site. I hope that we use both TE's to their strengths and we dont forget just how talented they really are when it comes to catching passes.
:helmet::tt02:

MasterOfPuppets
07-29-2007, 05:48 PM
wow! spaeth hasn't even played a game,and he's taking millers spot....:coffee:

nwksteeler
07-29-2007, 06:29 PM
I think that because there is even a discussion on this matter that it bids well for the Steelers. IMO Heath is on the verge of becoming one of the leagues best TEs, if Spaeth is challenging him that means he is pretty good. So either way I'm good.

Preacher
07-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Think about it; if both the tight ends are top notch, what does that mean for our offense? I get weak thinking about it. We can line up with two TEs and two SEs on 3rd and 7, instead of 3 or 4 SEs! If the guys can run and catch OR block, then we can be completely unpredictable from that formation... and almost unstoppable. We can line up with them both tight, and then send one in motion into the slot; we can keep them both tight and then send one (or both) on post routes; we can have them both block and send FWP around either end; we can keep them both blocking in pass protection and use Ben on a bootleg; we can use them both to block on a draw play; we can keep them both in to block and have Verron as the target receiver; we can have one block and send the other on a flare over the middle and then use him as a downfield blocker!

Who is our top TE? If things work out the right way, they BOTH are! We can use them to create matchups that the other teams haven't thought of yet!

Tom

That is EXACTLY why I am excited to see them!

LambertIsGod58
07-29-2007, 08:12 PM
I don't know much about this Spaeth kid, but I would highly doubt he'll take Miller's spot. Miller is considered one of the up and coming TE's in the league. Let's not take him out of the starting lineup just yet.

verks36
07-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Look we invested a first round pick into miller we arent going to be satisfied with him as some 2 string tight end. That catches under 20 balls a season. For the short term i am pretty sure miller has the job lockedup. But if he has a bad year this year who know who will start in '08. Plus the coaches who probbly pulled the trigger on heath Cowher and the WIz are out so you never know these days i have for sure seen strangers things happen

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Miller is for sure our number one tight end and Spaeth I believe at some point will be a desent number two but I would take Miller over Spaeth until Spaeth proves himself in the NFL.

Preacher
07-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Miller is for sure our number one tight end and Spaeth I believe at some point will be a desent number two but I would take Miller over Spaeth until Spaeth proves himself in the NFL.

Once again... I like the idea of them lining up together... side by side or opposite ends of the line. Either way, I love the idea.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Once again... I like the idea of them lining up together... side by side or opposite ends of the line. Either way, I love the idea.

I definitly wanna see them on the same side and give Willie the ball to that side I think thats gonna be a great blocking combo.

The Duke
07-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Miller on one side, Spaeth on the other. I like it. Seems like Parker is ready for an even better season with a better o line and tightends

ShutDown24
07-30-2007, 12:20 AM
LOL - Where did you hear this? What a joke. Miller is a first round pick and no bust. Anyone who watches film knows if he doesn't get the right amount of respect he doesn't get enough. He is still underrated in my opinion.

How about an I-pro Jokers formation with Spaeth&Miller strong side, ward at wide out and Kreider at FB... Now that is a running formation fit perfectly to the personnel if I ever saw one.

Livinginthe past
07-30-2007, 02:12 AM
LOL - Where did you hear this? What a joke. Miller is a first round pick and no bust. Anyone who watches film knows if he doesn't get the right amount of respect he doesn't get enough. He is still underrated in my opinion.

How about an I-pro Jokers formation with Spaeth&Miller strong side, ward at wide out and Kreider at FB... Now that is a running formation fit perfectly to the personnel if I ever saw one.

Ever see the defense play 10-in-the-box?

Preacher
07-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Ever see the defense play 10-in-the-box?

Yeah...

Ever see a mid'90's Steelers game?

:banging::banging:

Let's see... 3 yards and a cloud of dust didn't work in the AFCCG last year, let's try it this year.

Livinginthe past
07-30-2007, 06:44 AM
Yeah...

Ever see a mid'90's Steelers game?

:banging::banging:

Let's see... 3 yards and a cloud of dust didn't work in the AFCCG last year, let's try it this year.

LOL...yup..thats about the sum of it.

SteelerWatch
07-30-2007, 08:54 AM
I think we are in an enviable position. Tomlin's quote about where they selected Spaeth says a lot about how talented he must be. Not only will they produce in the passing game, but those 2 are HUGE! Fast Willie has to be loving it!! As a result, some pressure will be taken off of the O-line as well.

There's not a running back alive who would complain about having a 7-man offensive line clearing the way. Especially not with guys like Faneca and Marvell Smith, who can get into the second level and lay down another block.

Scary prediction: FWP has more 20+ -yard runs than Ladanian Tomlinson this year. Before anyone calls me stupid, think about this: LT had 12 runs of more than 20 yards last year. FWP had...12 runs of more than 20 yards last year. With a better line and (much, much) more creative offensive scheming in use, FWP is going to have a lot more room to run.

SteelerWatch
07-30-2007, 08:57 AM

Line them up side by side, with one WR and Kreider in the backfield. Start Dan blocking to the side the TEs are on, and have FWP fake that direction, the take it off-tackle to the other side. That will leave Ward as his only blocker, but with that kind of play it may very well be one blocker too many.

Jman
07-30-2007, 09:57 AM
I like the idea of them both lining up as well. Sure there is competition, and I'm sure Matt will end up as second string, but Miller is the top TE in the squad.

You could line up as twin ends and either run or pass. One of the TEs is absolutely getting a clean release. And line them on Faneca and Smith's side? Wow, incredible in my opinion.

albany80
08-02-2007, 08:35 PM

Willie has repeatedly referred to going to a San Diego-like offense/style this TC, which is a heavy 2 TE formation that they do run and pass out of. That predictability puts the opposing defense on their heels waiting to see what develops, instead of already knowing - this is a passing formation or this is a running formation. If you look at San Diego's draft this year, they got yet another TE in Iowa's Chandler which mirror's the Steeler's choice of Spaeth. Any 3rd and 3-5's are going to difficult to stop since the Steelers have a lot of options now available.

Increase the 3rd down efficiency, keep the chains moving, rest the defense, the rack up the wins!

PAMillerGrrl83
08-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Heath over Spaeth until Spaeth proves himself. Heath did awesome last year and IMO *as a Steelers fan* he is definately underrated and I think hes just gonna shine this year....I hope.

sumo
08-02-2007, 11:46 PM
I started a thread last year during the season about Miller being under utilized - I still believe he is our most overlooked offensive weapon - we should be running a waggle/play action to him every series - much like Dallas and SF used to do for Jones and Novacek - there is no better way to soften up LBS -- Miller is that kind of talent - he should be getting 60 receptions a year - IMHO, he is easily our best TE...

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-02-2007, 11:51 PM
I started a thread last year during the season about Miller being under utilized - I still believe he is our most overlooked offensive weapon - we should be running a waggle/play action to him every series - much like Dallas and SF used to do for Jones and Novacek - there is no better way to soften up LBS -- Miller is that kind of talent - he should be getting 60 receptions a year - IMHO, he is easily our best TE...

Agreed. We definitly have underutilized Miller in the past but with our new offense I dont see why he wont get 5-6 catches a game.

Preacher
08-03-2007, 02:46 AM
Heath over Spaeth until Spaeth proves himself. Heath did awesome last year and IMO *as a Steelers fan* he is definately underrated and I think hes just gonna shine this year....I hope.

You know... the simple logic usually is the best!

:thumbsup: