PDA

View Full Version : All AFC North Team?

CantStop85
07-29-2007, 03:26 PM
I was on another forum and they had this discussion going, so I figured why not bring it over here. If you were to compile an All-AFC North Team who would be on it?

This would be mine:

(I moved Eric Steinbach to RG because there wasn't anyone else in the AFCN at RG that I was just crazy about)
QB- Carson Palmer
RB- Willie Parker
FB- Dan Kreider
WR- Chad Johnson
WR- T.J. Houshmandzadeh
TE- Todd Heap
LT- Levi Jones
LG- Alan Faneca
C- (A healthy) LeCharles Bentley
RG- Eric Steinbach
RT- Willie Anderson

(I'm running a 3-4, but you can use a 4-3)
DE- Trevor Pryce
NT- Casey Hampton
DE- Justin Smith
OLB- Bart Scott
OLB- Terrell Suggs
ILB- Andra Davis
ILB- James Farrior
CB- Chris McAlister
CB- Ike Taylor
FS- Ed Reed
SS- Troy Polamalu

K- Matt Stover
P- Dave Zastudil
KR- Josh Cribbs
PR- Santonio Holmes

ChronoCross
07-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Honestly one change I would make would be T.J. Houshmandzadeh and put in Hines Ward, just for the fact of the all around play of hard blocking great hands and awsome route running. And maybe a ?? and a switch between B.J. Sams and Holmes at PR.

The Duke
07-29-2007, 03:46 PM
No Ray Lewis?

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Ok if you're using a 3-4 you have the wrong Smith....lol Noway Justin Smith would start in a 3-4 Dline over Aaron Smith......Smith is one of the best 3-4 DE in the NFL.......I can't argue with to many selections though....Pretty solid overall...I to would put Hines on the team and leave TJ out...I'm a Steelers homer sorry....

CantStop85
07-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Honestly one change I would make would be T.J. Houshmandzadeh and put in Hines Ward, just for the fact of the all around play of hard blocking great hands and awsome route running. And maybe a ?? and a switch between B.J. Sams and Holmes at PR.

You know, I had Hines Ward at first...but then switched in T.J. because he finally reached the 1,000 yard mark in only 14 games last season, while I think Hines Ward has more or less plateau-ed at this point in his career.

I was torn between Sams and Holmes at PR, but I gave the edge to Holmes because he actually had a return for a TD last season.

No Ray Lewis

That was a tough call, but I really like Davis and Farrior and I think lately Ray's name has been carrying him more than his actual production.

MasterOfPuppets
07-29-2007, 05:26 PM
wow ! before i even read your post ,i thought the same exact changes.

You know, I had Hines Ward at first...but then switched in T.J. because he finally reached the 1,000 yard mark in only 14 games last season, while I think Hines Ward has more or less plateau-ed at this point in his career.

could tj's surge have anything to do with johnson seeing all the double teams? i think as holmes establishes himself as a true threat, ward will reap the benefits and his numbers will go up as well.

LambertIsGod58
07-29-2007, 08:34 PM
I agree with the first entry, except I would have used Ray Lewis, Hines Ward and maybe McGahee at rb.

Crushzilla
07-29-2007, 08:48 PM
I agree with the first entry, except I would have used Ray Lewis, Hines Ward and maybe McGahee at rb.

The issue with McGahee over Willie is that recently Willie's stats have gradually improved while McGahee's have declined.

Career-wise McGahee has better stats, but Willie barely played his rookie year and has a better YPG average (barely), which continues to improve.

Benefiting from a run-heavy offense? Better O-Line? Maybe. But I'd still take Parker over Willis

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-29-2007, 08:49 PM
I like this team but I think that Ward or maybe Braylon Edwards would make a better number two wide out.

ChronoCross
07-29-2007, 08:59 PM
McGahee has proven nothing in this league. He is nothing more to the ravens then a .2 ypg avg over lewis if that. McGahee is not even a top 10 RB in the league. Bills guards pulled for McGahee, good luck with the ravens..

Preacher
07-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Funny...

I would have put Ward in over T.J. as well...

But there is NO WAY I would put in Holmes as return man...

Come on CS85... You gotta give us someone better then that! :sofunny:

The Duke
07-29-2007, 09:10 PM
and maybe McGahee at rb.

McGahee over willie, don't make me laugh :flap:

CantStop85
07-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Funny...

I think if Santonio can ever figure out the whole catching the ball thing he'll be a great returner. :flap:

ChronoCross
07-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Funny...

Actually by the end of the season, Holmes did come around and played better even on PR. And did have one go back for a TD. So I can see were 85 is coming from. Even tho like you Preacher, I would of went with someone else to.

CantStop85
07-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Actually by the end of the season, Holmes did come around and played better even on PR. And did have one go back for a TD. So I can see were 85 is coming from. Even tho like you Preacher, I would of went with someone else to.

I would've put Dennis Northcutt but he's on the Jaguars now. So I was pretty much left with either Holmes or B.J. Sams. And I think Holmes is more explosive.

Preacher
07-29-2007, 09:56 PM
I think if Santonio can ever figure out the whole catching the ball thing he'll be a great returner. :flap:

:sofunny::sofunny: Too true!

Actually... I am hoping that next year, we are going to have Reid to fall back on! Sounds like he is actually doing some really good work!

RoethlisBURGHer
07-29-2007, 09:58 PM
QB- C. Palmer
WR- C. Johnson
WR- H. Ward
TE- T. Heap
RB- W. Parker
FB- D. Kreider
T- L. Jones
G- A. Faneca
C- L. Bentley (when healthy)
G- E. Steinbach
T- J. Ogden

(Running a 3-4 defense as well)

DE- T. Pryce
NT- C. Hampton
DE- A. Smith
OLB- B. Scott
ILB- R. Lewis (it killed me to type that)
ILB- J. Farrior
OLB- T. Suggs
FS- E. Reed
SS- T. Polamalu
CB- C. McAllister
CB- I. Taylor

K- M. Stover
P- D. Zastudil
KR- J. Cribbs
PR- B. Sams

The Duke
07-29-2007, 10:08 PM
QB- C. Palmer
WR- C. Johnson
WR- H. Ward
TE- T. Heap
RB- W. Parker
FB- D. Kreider
T- L. Jones
G- A. Faneca
C- L. Bentley (when healthy)
G- E. Steinbach
T- J. Ogden

(Running a 3-4 defense as well)

DE- T. Pryce
NT- C. Hampton
DE- A. Smith
OLB- B. Scott
ILB- R. Lewis (it killed me to type that)
ILB- J. Farrior
OLB- T. Suggs
FS- E. Reed
SS- T. Polamalu
CB- C. McAllister
CB- I. Taylor

K- M. Stover
P- D. Zastudil
KR- J. Cribbs
PR- B. Sams

Better :thumbsup:

ChronoCross
07-29-2007, 10:22 PM
LOL had to edit this mistake out..

CantStop85
07-29-2007, 10:23 PM
One thing that was really hard for me to pick was the cornerback position. No one really stood out last year except maybe McAlister. I don't think cornerback was a very strong position for the AFCN last season.

I almost put Johnathan Joseph as the #2 as he was 2nd in the AFCN in passes defensed (behind McAlister), but he couldn't record a single interception last season.

As far as the Ray Lewis argument...I think Farrior was a shoe-in. And Andra Davis pretty much equaled Lewis's stats last season, actually recording more total tackles. The only disparity was sacks as Lewis had 4 more. So I guess you could give the edge to Ray.

If we switched to a 4-3, I would make Trevor Pryce and Robert Geathers the defensive ends and Casey Hampton and Kelly Gregg the defensive tackles.

I'm still sticking with my guns on TJ over Hines though lol

RoethlisBURGHer
07-29-2007, 10:33 PM
CS85,here is why I put Hines in over TJ:

Hines is a more complete player.He catches,runs good routes,blocks like a lineman,and he pisses opponents off with his smile (especially after getting laid out).

ChronoCross
07-29-2007, 10:36 PM

Hines is a more complete player.He catches,runs good routes,blocks like a lineman,and he pisses opponents off with his smile (especially after getting laid out).

And when TJ gets laid out, people pray he gets up.

Preacher
07-29-2007, 10:39 PM
IF your going to have that speed down the field as a RB...

you want a wr that can block for him to break him through the secondary.

ChronoCross
07-29-2007, 10:41 PM
IF your going to have that speed down the field as a RB...

you want a wr that can block for him to break him through the secondary.

And that is were Ward beats out TJ.

Preacher
07-29-2007, 10:48 PM
And that is were Ward beats out TJ.

Oops...

thought I put that in the quote.... :flap:

warddj86
08-01-2007, 11:58 PM

Amen!

warddj86
08-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Most people are saying that Willie is the worst starting RB in the AFC North, bullcrap, he's either the best or 2nd best, pending Willis McGahee.

The Duke
08-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Most people are saying that Willie is the worst starting RB in the AFC North, bullcrap, he's either the best or 2nd best, pending Willis McGahee.

Last year he got the most yards, the most tds, the only to get to the pro bowl. People are just jealous

sumo
08-02-2007, 01:57 AM

I cant believe this is up for debate - TJ over Hines???? - you gotta be freakin kidding me - Ward is the most complete wideout in the NFL -- oh and the AFC North too - I will debate this with anybody

Preacher
08-02-2007, 02:57 AM
I cant believe this is up for debate - TJ over Hines???? - you gotta be freakin kidding me - Ward is the most complete wideout in the NFL -- oh and the AFC North too - I will debate this with anybody

Nope... He doesn't have the speed for the deep threat... Which is the one the one thing that holds him back from being in highest echelon of receivers.

Hines can compensate though... because his blocking on a strong running team is needed more then his speed for a deep threat.

Livinginthe past
08-02-2007, 08:06 AM

Warning: This post contains dangerous levels of strawman argument!

Seriously, is this 'most people you have talked to in the last 5 minutes' (ie one person)?

I would be hard pushed to find anyone who thinks Willie is the worst RB in the AFCN.

warddj86
08-02-2007, 07:04 PM
normally i don't take that crap, but it's just that rudi johnson is overrated by analysts, and the brown loving analysts think jamal is gonna save them, and willis mcgahee, god, everyone won't just leave my posts alone w/o pointing something wrong with them

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Warning: This post contains dangerous levels of strawman argument!

Seriously, is this 'most people you have talked to in the last 5 minutes' (ie one person)?

I would be hard pushed to find anyone who thinks Willie is the worst RB in the AFCN.

Yeah I haven't heard anyone making the argument that Parker is the worst back in the AFCN. i dont think Clowns fans would try to push this.

sumo
08-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Nope... He doesn't have the speed for the deep threat... Which is the one the one thing that holds him back from being in highest echelon of receivers.

Hines can compensate though... because his blocking on a strong running team is needed more then his speed for a deep threat.

Preach I usually agree with you, but not this time - the greatest receiver in the history of the game ran 4.7/4.8 40 - if all you are looking for is speed - than rocket ismail and randy moss are your guys - I will take a deep posession receiver that knows what to do with the ball after the catch and blocks like a pulling guard over a speed guy any day - Hines Ward should be the standard all other receivers are measured against - Chad Johnson and TJ whosyourmama or whatever are punks compared to Ward...

Preacher
08-03-2007, 02:44 AM
Preach I usually agree with you, but not this time - the greatest receiver in the history of the game ran 4.7/4.8 40 - if all you are looking for is speed - than rocket ismail and randy moss are your guys - I will take a deep posession receiver that knows what to do with the ball after the catch and blocks like a pulling guard over a speed guy any day - Hines Ward should be the standard all other receivers are measured against - Chad Johnson and TJ whosyourmama or whatever are punks compared to Ward...

Maybe I should have been more specific. I was only referring to your statement that Ward is the MOST COMPLETE wide out in the NFL. Since blocking is secondary to the position (it is a plus for most teams, not what they keep or cut a player for), it is not as important as some other aspects of the game. Thus, I couldn't put Ward as the MOST COMPLETE wide out. However, if I were to start a team, who would I want as my first choice? Hines. Why? Not because he is the most complete, but because he has the most heart and I would TRUST the most.