PDA

View Full Version : Been to Camp this Year? Please Share Your Thoughts!

paw-n-maul-u
07-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Not really sure how to post this, as i wanted it to get some attention from the mods. For those of us who aren't able to get much info from TC, it's nice to read a few of the articles about the position battles, injury updates, etc. etc ....

BUT ...

... Is there any way we could get a little more indepth and keep an updating list of the good and bad news from TC. I saw this on another steelers forum, Just a simple list that we can add to every day after camp.

i.e.

Good:
-Anthony Smith is knockin the buhjesus out of some people.
-Ben is lookin sharp on his throws and seems to have his swag back.

Bad:
-Timmons nagging injury (just an example!)
-____________ seems to have a case of the "dropsies"

... something like that, take it away mods.

fansince'76
07-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Great idea, Paw - I am also nowhere near Latrobe for camp, so I'd also like to add the twist of hearing the impressions of folks who can get to TC in person. I'll modify the title a bit and sticky this.

For any members who are going to TC, or have gone out to watch already, your thoughts about what you saw and what you liked/didn't like in context to the team practices would be greatly appreciated.

Mosca
07-29-2007, 03:51 PM
I'd like to know more about the Kevan Barlow character issue.

Tom

83-Steelers-43
07-29-2007, 05:35 PM
I went Friday night. One of the 'lesser knowns' who stood out to me was Capizzi. He managed to keep Harrison and Keisel out of the backfield. By no means am I ready to praise the kid to no end, but he looked good when I saw him Friday night. Possibly another UDFA Steeler gem? Who knows. Let me restate that......possibly another UDFA Steeler gem standing at 6 feet 9? That boy ate his pasta when he was a youngin'.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2007, 06:01 PM
I would like to see Capizzi make the team...........What I have heard/read he seems to have better leverage then Max Starks............Who knows the Steelers could have a gem......

The Duke
07-29-2007, 06:18 PM
I like Capizzi, maybe is because of his size, but i've only head good things about him, hope he makes the team at least as a backup

SteelerFanInCA
07-30-2007, 04:55 PM
I went Friday night. One of the 'lesser knowns' who stood out to me was Capizzi. He managed to keep Harrison and Keisel out of the backfield. By no means am I ready to praise the kid to no end, but he looked good when I saw him Friday night. Possibly another UDFA Steeler gem? Who knows. Let me restate that......possibly another UDFA Steeler gem standing at 6 feet 9? That boy ate his pasta when he was a youngin'.

Hopefully he impressed Tomlin as well. The guy definitely has some impressive size. At 6 feet 9 this guy is a beast. Hopefully this guy turns out to be a hidden gem.

HometownGal
07-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Just got back a little while ago from TC. The guys worked their tails off and were quite intense!

Several players really stood out to me, the first being Sean Mahan. During the OL/DL one-on-one matchups, he stopped every guy he faced, even Big Snack - LOL! That guy is as strong as an ox. These guys were bringing it and got so intense they were doing a bit of head slapping and cursing out of frustration when they couldn't get around Mahan and Colon. :toofunny::tt02: Brett Kiesel is a beast - he looked like a Mack truck.

Ben also looked very in sync with most of his receivers. I paid close attention to Rasheed Marshall who caught some very nice passes, as did Santo and Willie Reid.

It was a great day overall, but very hot and muggy. I felt like I was in a sauna, so I can only imagine how the guys felt. I got to hand slap Troy, Tyrone Carter and Farrior on their way down to the field - I shall never wash my right hand again! :thumbsup:

I'll have some pictures to post either tonight or first thing in the morning. :smile:

LarryNJ
07-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Nice report can't wait to see the pics! :thmbup:

Ben also looked very in sync with most of his receivers. I paid close attention to Rasheed Marshall who caught some very nice passes, as did Santo and Willie Reid.

Did anyone tackle Willie?

Black@Gold Forever32
07-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Nice report Hometown.....I remember reading one of the knocks on Mahan was he maybe wasn't strong enough to handle the big NTs across the NFL.....Thats sweet to hear he is looking strong and holding his own against the best NT in the NFL in Casey Hampton....

I'm so pumped about Willie Colon...I think his attitude alone will make the Oline better....As for Keisel he has a shot for 10 sacks this year especially how LeBeau wants to move him around this year...

Glad to hear Ben is in sync......All reports from everyone is he is having a great camp......

Look forward to your pics......

The Duke
07-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the info HTG. Keisel is going to be a beast this season, I just keep hearing good things about him. But what about Aaron Smith, I don?t think i?ve heard much of him

OneForTheToe
07-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks HTG. Looks like Big Snack had a tough day or two - first an unsuccessful debut as a fullback, and then not being able to beat the new guy. :hug: Nice to see the boys still got the intensity. HTG did you happen to see the FA tackle from IUP, Capese (sp)? He would be hard to miss at 6-9. I keep hearing good things about him. He could be the J Kuhn of the O'line. :wink02:

Preacher
07-31-2007, 02:24 AM
Hey all... keep this coming... In California, I need all your insights I can get!

HometownGal
07-31-2007, 08:52 AM
I posted my TC pics last night in the Media forum - hope you all enjoy them! :tt02:

To answer your questions:

From what I saw from my vantage point, Willie Reid was pushed out of bounds on the catches I watched him make, but he got some nice yardage on one of them. :thumbsup:

Aaron Smith on the one-on-one's with the OL looked tough, but he still couldn't get past Mahan. I know it was only one practice, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Mahan starting either at G or T - he was that impressive. :thumbsup:

Jason Capizzi did well on the one-on-one's as well. He's a big dude and you really can't miss him. The coaches seemed pleased with him. :thumbsup:

OneForTheToe
07-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks again HTG. Wow, if Capizzi makes this team and Max Starks really does improve the Steelers could have a pair of huge OTs in the future.

If, if if if.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-31-2007, 12:02 PM
How is Chukky Okobi looking? Does it look like Mahan could possibly be our starting center?

HometownGal
07-31-2007, 02:44 PM
How is Chukky Okobi looking? Does it look like Mahan could possibly be our starting center?

Okobi got beat several times but as I said above, that was just one day. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Mahan at center - you had to be there to actually see how physically strong this guy is. Hey - if you can hold back Big Snack, you can hold back just about anyone. It was clear to me that he wants a starting position somewhere on that line and he's going to prove to the coaches that he is deserving of that spot. :thumbsup:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-31-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks HTG. I definitly think that for the money that we are paying Mahan that he should be starting somewhere.

SteelCityMan786
07-31-2007, 09:51 PM
Okobi got beat several times but as I said above, that was just one day. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Mahan at center - you had to be there to actually see how physically strong this guy is. Hey - if you can hold back Big Snack, you can hold back just about anyone. It was clear to me that he wants a starting position somewhere on that line and he's going to prove to the coaches that he is deserving of that spot. :thumbsup:

Even if okobi picks up, I'm thinking Mahan will end up starting at Center this year over Chuckky.

The Duke
07-31-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm still rooting for Chukky, but with that big paycheck Mahan got seems like he'll have start somewhere in the line

HometownGal
08-01-2007, 02:13 PM
I believe Mahan will start somewhere on that line - with that brute strength and his experience, it's almost a lock.

Y/W xXTSKxX :smile:

revefsreleets
08-01-2007, 08:02 PM
I believe Mahan will start somewhere on that line - with that brute strength and his experience, it's almost a lock.

Y/W xXTSKxX :smile:

There is no team in the league better at finding talent at the center position.

Crushzilla
08-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Best news out of Training Camp so far, IMO.

From the Trib.

WR Nate Washington was hit in the groin with a pass while standing on the sideline.

The Duke
08-01-2007, 08:11 PM

From the Trib

WR Nate Washington was hit in the groin with a pass while standing on the sideline.

:shake02:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-01-2007, 08:12 PM

From the Trib.

WR Nate Washington was hit in the groin with a pass while standing on the sideline

:toofunny::toofunny:

HometownGal
08-01-2007, 08:34 PM

From the Trib.

You'd better hope that bad karma doesn't come around to bite you in the hiney. :flap:

Poor Nate - ouch!

Crushzilla
08-01-2007, 08:39 PM
My co-worker and I were eating lunch today and him knowing my feelings about Nate read this aloud to me.

I laughed for seriously a minute. Juvenile? Perhaps. But I take what I can get.

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2007, 08:41 PM

From the Trib.

So it's now three balls he will have trouble holding onto. :wink02:

83-Steelers-43
08-02-2007, 03:24 AM
Leaving again for camp today. I was thinking about going to "Costume World" and buying some type of cookie/twinkie costume and holding up a black and gold sign that states "ALL HAIL BIG SNACK". Although I'm not sure Casey would like that too much even though it would be done out of pure respect and honor. Still....lol.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Leaving again for camp today. I was thinking about going to "Costume World" and buying some type of cookie/twinkie costume and holding up a black and gold sign that states "ALL HAIL BIG SNACK". Although I'm not sure Casey would like that too much even though it would be done out of pure respect and honor. Still....lol.

That sounds like a great idea to me. :sofunny: