PDA

View Full Version : Tim Couch Signs With Jaguars

CantStop85
07-29-2007, 04:52 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/1999/nfldraft/players/images/couch_tim.jpg

By MARK LONG, AP Sports Writer
July 29, 2007

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Former No. 1 draft pick Tim Couch signed a two-year contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday, getting a chance to revive his career as a backup to quarterback Byron Leftwich.

Couch, the top pick by Cleveland in 1999, hasn't played a down in the NFL since the 2004 preseason.

But Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio wanted to take a look at the former Kentucky star who had shoulder surgery last year. The Jaguars needed another quarterback in training camp because third-stringer Quinn Gray has an ankle injury and is on the physically unable to perform list.

The Jaguars also have backup David Garrard and undrafted rookie Lester Ricard.

Scott Eyster from Delta State and Sam Hollenbach from Maryland worked out alongside Couch on Friday, and the Jaguars struck a deal with Couch following a physical.

His five years in Cleveland were filled with disappointment. He was sacked often, booed regularly and plagued by elbow trouble.

After leaving the Browns, Couch signed a one-year deal with Green Bay to be Brett Favre's backup. The Packers didn't work out Couch before signing him to a contract that included a $625,000 bonus, and it seemed to backfire.

Couch was bothered by a sore throwing arm, struggled to grasp the West Coast offense and couldn't even unseat third-string quarterback Craig Nall.

Couch completed 11 of 34 passes for 96 yards with no touchdowns in three preseason games and was cut just before the 2004 season.

He worked out for Chicago and Cincinnati in 2005, but neither team signed him. He worked out for Tennessee, Miami, Pittsburgh and Houston last year.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2007, 04:59 PM
lol.......................Tim freaking Couch.....The first pass he ever threw in the NFL was an INT vs the Steelers back in the season opener in 1999.........After replacing Ty Detmer during the game Couch's first pass was picked....lol I forget what Steelers player picked Couch though.......

The Duke
07-29-2007, 05:19 PM
lol I forget what Steelers player picked Couch though.......

maybe it was a lineman :flap:

rbryan
07-29-2007, 06:49 PM
I didn't know he worked out for the Steelers last year.

SteelCityMan786
07-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Where the hell has this guy been?

CantStop85
07-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Where the hell has this guy been?

Rehabbing from a bum shoulder due to the number of times he was pile-drived into the turf behind the Browns O-line.

LambertIsGod58
07-29-2007, 07:09 PM
He was a great college quarterback. I'd like to see him do well somewhere. I mean, Cleveland isn't exactly a great place to try and make a career.

fansince'76
07-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Anybody looking for a 5'9," 160 lb backup QB with a noodle arm? I can suck just as bad as Couch does.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Wow Jacksonville most really be desperate.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-29-2007, 09:05 PM
I was a big Couch fan.If he had something else than cardboard cutouts for an offensive line in Cleveland,I think he could have been a very good QB.

I'd love to see him lake Lead Foot Leftwitch's job though,that'd be hillarious.

ChronoCross
07-29-2007, 09:14 PM
I think couch will be cut before pre season end.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2007, 09:52 PM
I think couch will be cut before pre season end.

I would hope so.....Couch is a joke.....The Jags might as well and take a chance with Daunte "Wounded Knee" Culpepper......:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

SteelCityMan786
07-29-2007, 10:10 PM
I would hope so.....Couch is a joke.....The Jags might as well and take a chance with Daunte "Wounded Knee" Culpepper......:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

Couch I think was making money as a Bengals couch.

revefsreleets
07-31-2007, 04:24 PM
Couch was an excellent QB out of college (he left a year early), and he was very NFL-ready, but NO college QB has a chance starting behind that sieve of a line they field in Cleveland.

I actually wish the guy well. If he would have gone to a better team that actually utilized his talent, things probably would have been very, very different.

silver & black
07-31-2007, 06:58 PM
I think Couch would have been a very good QB, but Cleveland destroyed his career.

Jman
07-31-2007, 07:01 PM
Wow Jacksonville most really be desperate.

At QB? Oh yea...Perhaps Couch will be the starter... But who cares... :blah:

steelpride12
08-01-2007, 10:32 AM
this guy is still around??!!