PDA

View Full Version : Pirates acquire Morris from Giants (Trade Davis)

83-Steelers-43
07-31-2007, 05:19 PM
BTW, Morris will get 9 million this year and in 2008. There is a 9 million dollar option for 2009, or a 1 million dollar buyout. Oh, and after a nice start, Matt Morris has a 8.48 ERA in July, 1.85 WHIP, and a .375BAA in July, and he's moving out of a very pitcher friendly ball park. Sounds like he will fit right in.....

Pirates acquire Morris from Giants
Tuesday, July 31, 2007

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pirates today acquired starting pitcher Matt Morris from the San Francisco Giants for outfielder Rajai Davis and a player to be named later.

Despite day-long discussions with the Detroit Tigers, no deal was reached to send shortstop Jack Wilson to Detroit by the 4 p.m. non-waiver trade deadline.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07212/805779-100.stm

Black@Gold Forever32
07-31-2007, 05:28 PM
lol.....the Pirates moves just continue to make no sense at all......I don't understand this at all........What are they trying to prove to the fan base now that they're adding to the pay roll?..lol

Morris is due a lot of money and hasn't pitched well at all for the most part this season....I'm really just speachless....

rbryan
07-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Pirates are just positioning themselves for playoff push. Doooooooohhhhh

SteelCityMan786
07-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Pirates are just positioning themselves for playoff push. Doooooooohhhhh

I'd rather they worry more towards .500.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-31-2007, 09:40 PM
I'd rather they worry more towards .500.

500 not this year man.......

SteelCityMan786
07-31-2007, 09:46 PM
500 not this year man.......

Seeing how this year's crash has gone, closest we may get is 10-16 games under.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-31-2007, 09:54 PM
Seeing how this year's crash has gone, closest we may get is 10-16 games under.

I keep hoping for this team to turn aorund it just never happens....The Pirates just won't ever be a good baseball team again until current ownership sells them I'm convinced.....Thank God for the Steelers and Pens....

SteelCityMan786
07-31-2007, 09:57 PM
I keep hoping for this team to turn aorund it just never happens....The Pirates just won't ever be a good baseball team again until current ownership sells them I'm convinced.....Thank God for the Steelers and Pens....

As much as the Buccos give us headaches. I can't blame you for saying that as much as I still stand by the Pirates after all these years.

83-Steelers-43
07-31-2007, 10:21 PM
LOL....

Just when I thought Dave Littlefield and this organization as a whole couldn't be more stupid, they prove me wrong. Let's see here....

9 million this year.

9 million next year.

For a pitcher who's best days are behind him and in my opinion has played below average ball the last four years, it only makes sense that this 'franchise' would sign him.

PATHETIC.

SteelCityMan786
07-31-2007, 10:25 PM
LOL....

Just when I thought Dave Littlefield and this organization as a whole couldn't be more stupid, they prove me wrong. Let's see here....

9 million this year.

9 million next year.

For a pitcher who's best days are behind him and in my opinion has played below average ball the last four years, it only makes sense that this 'franchise' would sign him.

PATHETIC.

You can say that again.

Edman
08-01-2007, 01:52 AM
Absolute Brilliance by our front office. Shelling out cash for another tired old veteran past his prime. Dave Littlefield is a freaking genius.

Oh well, we still picked Moskos in the draft...another low-rated LHP over Weiters...:coffee:

X-Terminator
08-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Hell, I forgot that the trade deadline was yesterday. That's how little I've cared about the Pirates and baseball in general since the Atlanta debacle. The move, however, doesn't surprise me in the least - moves like this have become the signature of this franchise. Screwing up is the only thing the Pirates do better than anyone else.

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Oh well, we still picked Moskos in the draft...another low-rated LHP over Weiters...:coffee:

And after watching Paulino this year (last night he blew the game for us), that move is looking better and better each day. After the trade yesterday, I listened to the radio and "The Nightly Sports Call" and you should hear the job people are doing on Littlefield and the Pirates in general over this 'trade'.

People are pissed...:sofunny:

Like I said, just when you think it's impossible for this team to play any worse, they come back from the All-Star break looking like this. Just when you think it's impossible for the FO to get any dumber, they turn around and make a trade like this. Same old, same old Bucco's.

Mosca
08-01-2007, 11:04 AM
At this point I have to blame the manager Tracy as much as anyone else. IMO the pitchers have the arms; we have as much pitching as anyone else in the NL, two good starters one good reliever and a bunch of filler. We have four decent enough bats (LaRoche, Bay, Nady, and Sanchez) and some other guys, just like the rest of the league. There's no reason this team isn't winning as many games as the Card, the Phils, the Rockies. IMO we have the players to win; it's the coaching that sucks. Don't tell me that Leyland or LaRussa or Francona (or Garner, or Macha, or Girardi) wouldn't have these guys over .500.

Tom

rbryan
08-01-2007, 11:51 AM
We need Francona. I graduated HS with him, I'll give him a call and see about that home town discount. lol

SteelCityMan786
08-01-2007, 12:04 PM
We need Francona. I graduated HS with him, I'll give him a call and see about that home town discount. lol

haha, isn't he playing in Atlanta. Heck, tell him to knock on the Pirates door. Just alert him about the Cold Adjustment period early.

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2007, 12:08 PM
haha, isn't he playing in Atlanta. Heck, tell him to knock on the Pirates door. Just alert him about the Cold Adjustment period early.

I believe he meant the manager of the Red Sox. Raised in Pittsburgh, played ball in New Brighton and was born in South Dakota.

SteelCityMan786
08-01-2007, 12:11 PM
I believe he meant the manager of the Red Sox. Raised in Pittsburgh, played ball in New Brighton and was born in South Dakota.

ahhh brain fart. I was thinking of Francoeur. :dang:

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2007, 12:19 PM
ahhh brain fart.

I know how ya feel. I believe once Steeler/Penguin season starts we will be better. :wink02:

rbryan
08-01-2007, 12:23 PM
You just schooled me. I grew up with him but didn't know he was born in South Dakota. His dad played major league ball for years and also was originally from New Brighton if my memory serves me. T must have been born while his dad was playing in that part of the country.

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2007, 12:28 PM
You just schooled me. I grew up with him but didn't know he was born in South Dakota. His dad played major league ball for years and also was originally from New Brighton if my memory serves me. T must have been born while his dad was playing in that part of the country.

Yeah, Tito Francona was born in Aliquippa.

SteelCityMan786
08-01-2007, 12:28 PM
I know how ya feel. I believe once Steeler/Penguin season starts we will be better. :wink02:

haha that sounds right.

X-Terminator
08-01-2007, 12:31 PM
At this point I have to blame the manager Tracy as much as anyone else. IMO the pitchers have the arms; we have as much pitching as anyone else in the NL, two good starters one good reliever and a bunch of filler. We have four decent enough bats (LaRoche, Bay, Nady, and Sanchez) and some other guys, just like the rest of the league. There's no reason this team isn't winning as many games as the Card, the Phils, the Rockies. IMO we have the players to win; it's the coaching that sucks. Don't tell me that Leyland or LaRussa or Francona (or Garner, or Macha, or Girardi) wouldn't have these guys over .500.

Tom

Sure they would have. Of course, Bullwinkle J. Moose could manage that team better than Jim Tracy has.

SteelCityMan786
08-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Sure they would have. Of course, Bullwinkle J. Moose could manage that team better than Jim Tracy has.

I could manage this team better then Tracy.

Man am I glad I get to see their prospects in the minor league system play better then this in Altoona and State College.

NV STEELERS 723
08-01-2007, 10:00 PM
The Morris trade is a joke.....the Pirates FO continue to impress me w/ their lack of common sense ...

Mark Cuban would buy this team in a heartbeat...the cash is probably in his wine cellar...he is the only hometown guy that could turn this around... but I heard he wants to buy the Cubs???

SteelCityMan786
08-01-2007, 10:11 PM
The Morris trade is a joke.....the Pirates FO continue to impress me w/ their lack of common sense ...

Mark Cuban would buy this team in a heartbeat...the cash is probably in his wine cellar...he is the only hometown guy that could turn this around... but I heard he wants to buy the Cubs???

There is no guarantee he could be allowed to buy them.

Crushzilla
08-02-2007, 04:41 PM
I was watching the Giants game in ESPN2 last night and all Berman and the others could do is, of course, talk about Bonds and rave about the insane potential Davis has.

He was looking pretty sharp on the basepaths and in center.

Doh?

NV STEELERS 723
08-03-2007, 09:55 PM
There is no guarantee he could be allowed to buy them.

That sounds like a Bob Smizik line.....

SteelCityMan786
08-03-2007, 10:29 PM
That sounds like a Bob Smizik line.....

It ain't a Smizik. I heard reports on ESPN a couple of weeks ago.

In addition, he still has to pass the MLB BOG.

83-Steelers-43
08-15-2007, 07:18 PM
And after the first inning with Morris pitching, it is 5-0 Mets. Beautiful. Then some wonder why people are sick of the team and are tired of giving money to that organization. One of the many reasons just gave up five runs in the first inning.

BTW, anybody see that diving catch by Davis the other day? Very nice.

Pittsburghfan
08-16-2007, 11:08 AM
And after the first inning with Morris pitching, it is 5-0 Mets. Beautiful. Then some wonder why people are sick of the team and are tired of giving money to that organization. One of the many reasons just gave up five runs in the first inning.

BTW, anybody see that diving catch by Davis the other day? Very nice.

I saw that diving catch in person.

83-Steelers-43
08-26-2007, 11:02 AM
I saw that diving catch in person.

Then he made another over the wall HR saving catch about two weeks ago.

Hey, but Morris got his first win last night and the month of August has been great!!! This August will definately spring board us to next season....:sofunny:

"WE WILL"

SteelCityMan786
08-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Then he made another over the wall HR saving catch about two weeks ago.

Hey, but Morris got his first win last night and the month of August has been great!!! This August will definately spring board us to next season....:sofunny:

"WE WILL"

....Crush kids hopes.