PDA

View Full Version : Culpepper heading to Raiders for workout

WWIIOwheelz
07-31-2007, 05:39 PM
OAKLAND, Calif. - The Oakland Raiders will sign free-agent quarterback Daunte Culpepper, the Oakland Tribune reported Tuesday, citing a source close to the situation.

Culpepper was scheduled to work out for the team on Tuesday morning.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20045279/

MasterOfPuppets
07-31-2007, 05:41 PM
always thought this was the most logical place for peppy....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7076284

The Raiders have an interest in Culpepper in part due to the holdout of No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell. Russell has yet to sign a contract with Oakland, and Kiffin on Sunday indicated negotiations between the two sides had slowed.......

revefsreleets
07-31-2007, 06:31 PM
What do they have to lose? This is the same team that placed all it's eggs in the "Aaron Brooks" basket last year, and I still think Russell has a lot to learn about the NFL.

Jman
07-31-2007, 07:35 PM
This wouldn't be a bad move for the Raiders either.

silver & black
07-31-2007, 07:55 PM
It has been reported that Pep has left without signing a contract. I don't know anymore at this time, but I'll try to keep you informed as I get news... if any of you are interested.

silver & black
07-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Well, it seems that Pep has signed a contract with the Raiders after all. Press conference is on Wednesday.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-31-2007, 08:25 PM
So what number will he be wearing...8,11,or another number?

silver & black
07-31-2007, 08:29 PM
So what number will he be wearing...8,11,or another number?

I couldn't care less, to tell you the truth.

rbryan
07-31-2007, 08:34 PM
That sounds about right. A match made in heaven.

MasterOfPuppets
07-31-2007, 08:35 PM
so do you think its a good move s&b.??? whats your thoughts?

silver & black
07-31-2007, 08:42 PM
so do you think its a good move s&b.??? whats your thoughts?

I can't say I'm thrilled about it. I don't see the sense in signing a QB with bad knees to play on a team that needs a mobile QB.

I don't know any details of his contract yet, but somehow, I'm sure I won't like it.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-31-2007, 09:03 PM
I am surprised he went to the Raiders where he'll have competition from McCown and Russell when he gets into camp.

Jman
07-31-2007, 09:07 PM
I'd say this is a decent move for the Raiders. It has its ups and downs. Ups cuz the #1 pick learns under a veteran who has played in some instances, brilliantly. - bad because he also learns the bad habits the veteran has acquired.

silver & black
07-31-2007, 09:09 PM
I am surprised he went to the Raiders where he'll have competition from McCown and Russell when he gets into camp.

Russell wasn't/ isn't going to start the season, no matter what anyone may think. He isn't ready to start in the NFL. It will be between McCown and Pep to see who starts the season.

Jman
07-31-2007, 09:14 PM
Russell wasn't/ isn't going to start the season, no matter what anyone may think. He isn't ready to start in the NFL. It will be between McCown and Pep to see who starts the season.

I would disagree. Teams pay big money for big talent, and therefore, are expecting big results. Reggie Bush did fairly avergae in his rookie season, and at times, above average. Vince Young is another top pick who started in his rookie season. I'd be surprised if the Raiders don't give him a shot if he proves himself.

SteelCityMan786
07-31-2007, 09:29 PM
I think the Raiders are wasting there time trying to pick this guy up. He's washed up in my books.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-31-2007, 09:32 PM

Did you forget Al Davis owns and runs the Raiders?

If Al says play Russell,Russell will play,it's that simple.

Jman
07-31-2007, 09:38 PM

Or that... :helmet:

SteelCityMan786
07-31-2007, 09:54 PM

Very True. Even though Shell ain't there anymore.

The Duke
07-31-2007, 10:01 PM
He can teach Russel a thing or two, they both got cannon arms. Will be interesting to see who's behind center for the raiders in week 1

SteelCityMan786
07-31-2007, 10:07 PM
He can teach Russel a thing or two, they both got cannon arms. Will be interesting to see who's behind center for the raiders in week 1

I think the cold pepper will be used more like Batch. Only thing is, I don't think Dante was a bay area native.

CantStop85
07-31-2007, 10:17 PM
Looks like Culpepper will be keeping the starter's seat warm for JaMarcus for a while. That is unless McCown beats him out (I have heard that the Raiders have been impressed with him).

But there's no way Russell starts week 1. He's not even signed yet, and no telling when he will be. Even if he were, he'd still probably be sitting on the sidelines for the first few games.

SteelCityMan786
07-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Looks like Culpepper will be keeping the starter's seat warm for JaMarcus for a while. That is unless McCown beats him out (I have heard that the Raiders have been impressed with him).

But there's no way Russell starts week 1. He's not even signed yet, and no telling when he will be. Even if he were, he'd still probably be sitting on the sidelines for the first few games.

He might join revis in the unemployment line.

lilyoder6
07-31-2007, 10:54 PM
how much was the 1 yr deal duante signed is worth???

LambertIsGod58
07-31-2007, 11:32 PM
how much was the 1 yr deal duante signed is worth???

I can't find what he's getting anywhere....Since Miami just released him, I would think he didn't get much.

Crushzilla
07-31-2007, 11:34 PM
Dante's agent: Dante, they are going to sign you to a one year deal.
Dante: This is great. I'm going to be a top caliber QB again. I'm terrible without Randy to throw to. I CAN'T WAIT to play with Moss again. This is the best day of my life.
Dante's agent: Dante.... We have to talk...

If you would have told Minnesota fans 4 years ago that they would lose their two best plays to Oakland they probably could have turned on the Zyg and jumped on the Colts bandwagon in time for the Super Bowl.

SteelCityMan786
08-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Dante's agent: Dante, they are going to sign you to a one year deal.
Dante: This is great. I'm going to be a top caliber QB again. I'm terrible without Randy to throw to. I CAN'T WAIT to play with Moss again. This is the best day of my life.
Dante's agent: Dante.... We have to talk...

If you would have told Minnesota fans 4 years ago that they would lose their two best plays to Oakland they probably could have turned on the Zyg and jumped on the Colts bandwagon in time for the Super Bowl.

haha nice one.

Preacher
08-01-2007, 02:41 AM
Funny...

I was wondering about Moss leaving and Daunte coming to SB at the same time.

steelpride12
08-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Thats sounds pretty good since a team like them have nothing to lose and i mean nothing.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-01-2007, 11:12 AM
I think that Culpepper could be a good mentor to JaMarcus Russell. I mean the two of them do have similar types of play.

revefsreleets
08-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Russel is no where near NFL ready, despite what all the talking heads say. He needs some seasoning, and he isn't as mobile as Vince Young so he can't depend on his athleticism to get him out of trouble and make up the gap like Young did.

It'll be interesting to see what Culpepper can do. He's obviously very confident in his ability, given his refusal to sign anything but a 1 year deal.

silver & black
08-01-2007, 03:58 PM
I would disagree. Teams pay big money for big talent, and therefore, are expecting big results. Reggie Bush did fairly avergae in his rookie season, and at times, above average. Vince Young is another top pick who started in his rookie season. I'd be surprised if the Raiders don't give him a shot if he proves himself.

He'll get to play, but it won't be on opening day. If he ever gets to camp, I would expect to see him no sooner than week 6. Just because he went #1 and will be getting paid a king's ranson, doesn't mean he is ready to play in the NFL. With McCown and Culpepper on the team, there is no reason or justification for throwing him out there too soon... especially without seeing if the O line can protect the QB yet.

silver & black
08-01-2007, 04:00 PM

True, but Al hates rookie QB's. I'm sure it just killed him to draft Russell, especially after the Marinovich fiasco.

SteelCityMan786
08-01-2007, 04:01 PM
He'll get to play, but it won't be on opening day. If he ever gets to camp, I would expect to see him no sooner than week 6. Just because he went #1 and will be getting paid a king's ranson, doesn't mean he is ready to play in the NFL. With McCown and Culpepper on the team, there is no reason or justification for throwing him out there too soon... especially without seeing if the O line can protect the QB yet.

I don't think you guys will see him play till week 10. That is, if you're not out of the playoff race by then. It may be earlier.

silver & black
08-01-2007, 04:06 PM
I don't think you guys will see him play till week 10. That is, if you're not out of the playoff race by then. It may be earlier.

You could be right. I wouldn't mind if he sat the whole season. Playoff race? Thats funny! Maybe next year, but I seriously doubt we will be viaing for the playoffs this year. If we can even finish at .500, I'll be very happy with this season.

revefsreleets
08-01-2007, 04:07 PM
The Raiders will never be in the playoff race this year, but thats no reason to throw Russel to the wolves. Week 10 seems like a nice round number unless one of the other guys surprise like Drew Brees did in San Diego.