PDA

View Full Version : Palmer/Ex-Steelers to dedicate CN Field

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Arnie, ex-Steelers to dedicate Chuck Noll Field
Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

One Hall of Famer will help honor another tomorrow when golfing great Arnold Palmer joins officials from the Steelers and St. Vincent College to dedicate the school's new Chuck Noll Field during a ceremony before practice.

Palmer, who grew up a short distance from St. Vincent, will be on hand when the field officially is named in honor of the Steelers Hall of Fame coach. Steelers alumni also will attend as team president Art Rooney and St. Vincent Archabbot Douglas Nowicki and President Jim Towey conduct the ceremony, starting at 4:55 p.m.

A Steelers practice, open to the public, will begin at 5:30 p.m. on the new field.

The field, where the Steelers have practiced the past 41 summers, will also be the site of the first St. Vincent College intercollegiate football team since 1962 under head coach Bob Colbert.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07213/806007-66.stm

rbryan
08-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Anyone know where the Steelers trained before St Vincents??

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Anyone know where the Steelers trained before St Vincents??

Back in the 60's they used to train out at South Park (the fairgrounds).

fansince'76
08-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Back in the 60's they used to train out at South Park (the fairgrounds).

Would certainly explain why the Steelers were so bad back in the day:

http://lang.dailynews.com/socal/DNfiles/footballsouthpark.jpg

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

rbryan
08-01-2007, 05:03 PM
My family has on summer cottage on Pymatuning Lake, Linesville PA. When I was a kid I remember hearing people talk about the Steelers training on what is now an island in the middle of the lake before it was flooded to create the lake. I think it was in the 40's or 50's.

Anybody know anything about that??

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2007, 05:12 PM
My family has on summer cottage on Pymatuning Lake, Linesville PA. When I was a kid I remember hearing people talk about the Steelers training on what is now an island in the middle of the lake before it was flooded to create the lake. I think it was in the 40's or 50's.

Anybody know anything about that??

In the late 40's - early 50's they used to train right off 5th avenue in Shadyside. Personally, I have never heard of them training up at Pymatuning Lake. That's not to say they didn't, but I have never heard about it.