PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Parker misses practice again

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-01-2007, 05:55 AM
Steelers' Parker takes mystery break
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Steelers and Willie Parker weren't exactly forthcoming about why the Pro Bowl running back didn't practice Tuesday afternoon. Parker said, "Sometimes you need to take a break," but he added that he won't practice again today. When asked if he had hurt his knee, he referred reporters to Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. Tomlin said Parker and veteran defensive linemen Chris Hoke and Travis Kirschke didn't practice yesterday afternoon because he wanted to give them a break so "we keep our horses up and running." Tomlin said Parker doesn't have an issue with his knee.
? The Steelers were again without right outside linebackers James Harrison and Lawrence Timmons yesterday. Harrison, who is expected to start at Joey Porter's old position, is nursing sore ribs. Timmons, the team's No. 1 pick in April's draft, hasn't practiced since re-aggravating a groin injury last Thursday. Darnell Stapleton hyperextended his knee Monday and didn't practice yesterday. Stapleton, a rookie guard who signed with the Steelers as an undrafted free agent, probably won't practice today but the injury isn't considered serious.

? The team devoted their one-hour practice yesterday to special teams. They also worked on special teams during their afternoon practice.

? The Steelers practice from 9 to 11 a.m. and from 2:55 p.m. to 5 p.m. today. The second practice is open to the public.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digits

7 - Wins the Steelers have against the New Orleans Saints in 10 exhibition games.
8 - Players from the University of Michigan that are expected to play in Sunday's Hall of Fame game between the Steelers and Saints.

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Steelers' Parker misses practice again
Wednesday, August 01, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers running back Willie Parker did not practice this morning, the second consecutive practice he has missed.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said yesterday that he had held Parker out to give him a rest, but this morning Parker was seen walking with an ice bag on his left knee and talking to John Norwig, the team's head trainer.

Tomlin likely will address Parker's status during his regular media briefing after the afternoon practice.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07213/806010-66.stm

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-01-2007, 11:02 AM
I hope that the injury isnt too criticle. Maybe he's just feeling a little sore.

Virginia Steeler
08-01-2007, 11:04 AM
anyone have any inside info on this? I know it is early to start worrying, but....

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2007, 11:07 AM
anyone have any inside info on this? I know it is early to start worrying, but....

I don't. Haven't heard anything on FSN Pittsburgh or on KDKA. Hopefully Tomlin will give us the inside scoop this afternoon. I would have to believe that if it were serious we would have heard about it yesterday. Just a guess on my part.

Virginia Steeler
08-01-2007, 11:18 AM
I don't. Haven't heard anything on FSN Pittsburgh or on KDKA. Hopefully Tomlin will give us the inside scoop this afternoon. I would have to believe that if it were serious we would have heard about it yesterday. Just a guess on my part.

agreed -- gotta love worrying about things before the season even starts....tough not to be concerned when a star player has an ice bag on his knee....

come on september 9th!!!!! :tt02:

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2007, 11:22 AM
tough not to be concerned when a star player has an ice bag on his knee....

I hear ya brother. It's not exactly the greatest news to wake up to this morning. Hopefully Tomlin will tell us it's not serious and that Willie just bruised it up a bit. Just want to get through this camp healthy and prepared for 9/9.

steelpride12
08-01-2007, 11:22 AM
god no please nothing serious ugh!

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Steelers' Parker won't play Sunday night
Wednesday, August 01, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Halfback Willie Parker will not play in the Steelers' first exhibition game Sunday night against New Orleans in Canton, Ohio.

Parker may not practice the rest of the week after missing his second straight day with slight soreness and swelling in his left knee. Parker spent this morning's practice with ice on the knee, and also talked to trainer John Norwig.

The Steelers consider it to be a small matter and are trying to take precautions so it does not become a serious one.

Parker ran for 1,494 yards last season, third most in Steelers history. His 337 attempts were the fourth highest by a Steelers back.

Coach Mike Tomlin gives daily briefings, including injuries, after the afternoon practice at Saint Vincent College.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07213/806010-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Better safe than sorry and it's great to hear that it's a "small matter". Also gives the Steelers more time to take a long look at our other backs.

SteelCityMan786
08-01-2007, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't play him yet if it's as bad as they're saying. It's really risky losing him this early in Pre-season.

SteelCityMan786
08-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Better safe than sorry and it's great to hear that it's a "small matter". Also gives the Steelers more time to take a long look at our other backs.

:iagree: Allow Najeh and others to prove themselves worthy of the 2 spot. Even if Parker was going to play, at most I'd allow him is 1 series.

The Duke
08-01-2007, 01:03 PM
It's just preseason, nothing serious.....

Preacher
08-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Honestly.... That sounds like more of an over-use injury then anything else. A few days rest will be fine.

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Some more injury updates for Sunday.....

Right outside linebackers James Harrison (ribs) and Lawrence Timmons (groin) also didn’t take part in either practice today. Harrison, who is expected to start at Joey Porter’s position, said he won’t play Sunday. Timmons is also a long shot at best to play given how much time the rookie first-round pick has missed because of the bad groin.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_520132.html

Preacher
08-01-2007, 06:51 PM

Nothing to worry about...

Heck, I am more worried about seeing the offense with Ben passing anyway.

The Duke
08-01-2007, 06:54 PM

Well, I was hoping to see Harrison play, but I can wait

MACH1
08-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Hopefully he'll be ok, theres still 4 more pre-season games after this one.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-01-2007, 08:40 PM
With J. Harrison and Timmons out are we gonna move Haggans to the right side and start Woodley or will A. Harrison, Rian Wallace or Marcello Church play that spot?

Black@Gold Forever32
08-01-2007, 08:44 PM
I heard today on that other steelers site I post on that Woodley is expected to start against the Saints....