PDA

View Full Version : Cedrick Wilson feels ignored

The Duke
08-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Cedrick Wilson feels ignored and he's not happy about it.

The Steelers receiver complained yesterday that his quarterbacks don't throw the ball his way enough in practice or games, even when he's wide open.

"I come out here and work hard just like everybody else. I deserve a couple of passes," an angry Wilson said shortly after morning practice ended on a pass play that provoked an outburst by him.

Backup Charlie Batch threw a pass toward an underneath receiver that was intercepted by cornerback Jovon Johnson. Wilson, wide open deep, cursed loudly in the end zone about it and again during an interview.

"Yeah," he said, "then you all talk about how I ain't [expletive] and I never get the [expletive] football."

He later explained that, for whatever reason, Steelers quarterbacks largely ignore him in the passing game.

"I can't help if the quarterback doesn't throw me the ball," said Wilson, the starting split end last season and still running with the first team. "I'm running my routes, I'm doing the right things. You can't help if the quarterback doesn't throw you the ball."

Hall of Famers John Stallworth and Lynn Swann staged an intense competition to attract more balls their way, even schmoozing quarterback Terry Bradshaw. Asked if he ever talked to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger about it, Wilson said, "I try."

"He can just do his thing," Wilson said. "As long as we're successful, I'm fine."

Clearly, though, he is not. Asked if he were ignored often when open, Wilson said: "You tell me. You watch the games. Don't you watch the games?"

Wilson said he has no idea why.

"I don't know. I don't know. I just have to work, I guess."

Bruce Arians, the new offensive coordinator, said a receiver wanting the ball more is not a bad thing.

"They all want the ball more," Arians said. "There are not enough footballs to go around."

Wilson was third on the team with 37 receptions and fourth with 504 yards last season, his first as a starter since the Steelers signed him as an unrestricted free agent in 2005 to help replace Plaxico Burress. He scored one touchdown.

He was the starting split end until a sprained ankle Dec. 3 against Tampa Bay. Rookie Santonio Holmes, who had rotated every other series with Wilson for much of the season, took over from there.

Holmes' 49 receptions for 824 yards were second on the team last season and led all AFC rookies. Holmes, a first-round draft choice, is listed as the starter on the depth chart with Wilson behind him, but Wilson also questions that. Holmes missed the first four days of practice because of a minor surgical procedure and has remained behind Wilson since his return Sunday.

"I think everybody's competing for a job," Wilson said. "I don't think anything's locked up. We have a new coach; he doesn't know anybody. That's a good thing for a lot of guys.

"We'll see how it works out. I'm in front of him right now. [Last season], I got hurt for four games so I finished behind him."

Told it was assumed by many that Holmes would be the starter, including the official depth chart, Wilson said that was probably natural.

"You know what? He's a first-round pick, he's young. That's obvious. But at the same time, you still have to come out to the field and play.

"I didn't do anything last year to have my job taken away from me but get hurt. You shouldn't lose your job on account that you got hurt, know what I mean? Plus, you only lose your job on account you got hurt with a first-round pick behind you. At the same time, I caught all the balls that were thrown to me last year."

Wilson was fourth on the team with 26 receptions for 451 yards in 2005 when he played behind starting split end Antwaan Randle El but rotated series with him.

Arians re-worked the playbook this year to include more use of three and four wide receivers on first down, more use of three tight ends and even more use of Willie Parker as a third-down back.

Are there enough footballs to go around?

"I don't know, you know? I hope there are," Wilson said. "I just have to focus on the balls I get, I guess, because there ain't a lot of them, I'll tell you that much."

http://postgazette.com/pg/07214/806343-66.stm

Jman
08-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Who cares Ced? You'll get cut anyway...

The Duke
08-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Who wants to sing this baby a nighttime song?

fansince'76
08-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Can they just cut this bum already?

steelersfanmx
08-01-2007, 11:32 PM
I believe that Cedric is acctualy a good WR.., hes not spectacular, but I think
he does hes work... I remember he shines in playoffs in '05, he catch some good passes....
I would like to see ben trow more balls to him...

MACH1
08-01-2007, 11:43 PM
he does hes work... I remember he shines in playoffs in '05, he catch some good passes....

Problem is he can't catch when he's wide open.

The Duke
08-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Problem is he can't catch when he's wide open.

And the QB's know that, so they don't throw to him

steelersfanmx
08-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Well.. don't know.. to me hes a good player.. but at the same time.. don't like
hes acctitud.. he should just focus on work without complainig...

TackleMeBen
08-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Note to Ced.....

if you want more balls thrown your way.. 1. learn to catch them.. .2. take the starting qb a big plate of spaghetti :wink02:

RoethlisBURGHer
08-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Yeah,and too many balls bounce off of your hands...and right into a defender's hands.Too bad those go as an INT in Ben's record instead of a dropped pass on yours.

If WR's could be credited for WR's when the ball bounces off of them into a defenders hands for an INT...Ben would have thrown many less INT's and Wilson would be credited for a bunch.

fansince'76
08-01-2007, 11:53 PM
"We'll see how it works out. I'm in front of him right now. [Last season], I got hurt for four games so I finished behind him."

Told it was assumed by many that Holmes would be the starter, including the official depth chart, Wilson said that was probably natural.

"You know what? He's a first-round pick, he's young. That's obvious. But at the same time, you still have to come out to the field and play."

I couldn't help but notice an eerie similarity....

SB7nQCc1peY

The Duke
08-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Note to Ced.....

if you want more balls thrown your way.. 1. learn to catch them.. .2. take the starting qb a big plate of spaghetti :wink02:

Is Casey our new QB:wink02:

83-Steelers-43
08-02-2007, 12:52 AM
If I am permitted........:rolleyes:

Just another reason why I'm not nor was I ever crazy about Cedrick Wilson. Him and Faneca should build a fire, curl up on a couch together, eat some chocolates and watch "Casablanca".

Unbelievable. :shake01:

Preacher
08-02-2007, 01:54 AM
If I am permitted........:rolleyes:

Just another reason why I'm not nor was I ever crazy about Cedrick Wilson. Him and Faneca should build a fire, curl up on a couch together, eat some chocolates and watch "Casablanca".

Unbelievable. :shake01:

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

Seriously... Make one good catch, then another... then talk to Ben and say, HEY... throw a few more my way, see what I can do with them.

Going to the press? Yeah... Real Smart.

Liz
08-02-2007, 03:46 AM
If they aren't throwing him the ball during practice though, how is he supposed to work on his weak hands?

Michael Keller
08-02-2007, 04:08 AM
This is the third year I havve had to listen to Wilson. He does drop far too many passes to be saying anything at all. I think Ben may be sending a message to the Turk. Keep a young talnted receiver and let Wilson go find himself an arena league QB who will let the baby have his ball.

Michael

Steel Pit
08-02-2007, 04:49 AM
We needed Cedric Wilson last season but this season, SHOW HIS A$$ THE DOOR!

I'm already tired of hearing the whining of a couple of players, Alan Faneca, Hines Ward and now Cedric Wilson. They can't do much about the first 2 but Cedric can hit the street a walking.
STFU ALREADY!

Edman
08-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Maybe Ced wants the opportunity to complain to the ref when he misses the catch. Problem with that is, there are no refs to complain to. Cedrick is a soft-*** WR who can't catch a ball even with one guy covering him to save his life.

Mosca
08-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Cedrick isn't BAD; he's just not outstanding. He's reached his limit, and his limit is C+. That's fine, and any team with a bunch of guys like Cedrick will go 9-7, 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 year in and year out; they won't go 3-13, but they won't go 13-3 either.

The problem for Cedrick is that that is not what we are trying to accomplish.

There's a place for Cedrick in this league. But it might not be on this team, that's all.

Tom

Atlanta Dan
08-02-2007, 08:22 AM
If I am Wilson I better hope I get a call to visit Tomlin in the principal's ofice after that outburst - if Tomlin lets it slide it means it has already been determined Wilson is not making it on to the final roster.

Wilson popped off like this midway through the 2005 season by complianing the Steelers did not throw the ball often enough and appears to be a malcontent.

If Porter was released for reasons including the potential for disruptive conduct this coming season I cannot imagine why Cedrick "Hands Of Stone" Wilson will be retained.

Jman
08-02-2007, 08:31 AM
C+ at more than a mil and a half a yr? Unacceptable.

:thmbdown:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Ced will be gone after this season. We have some young WR in Wreid and Washington, who I see improving this year, and knocking Wilson out of the rotation.

msafford
08-02-2007, 11:41 AM
maybe this will help Wilson.

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/14576471/269302773.jpg

Sorry....just couldn't resist.

Steelyasoul007
08-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Didn't he slightly bobble the ball when Ben threw to him from Randle El in Cincy. He dropped alot of balls that he should've caught last season as well. Keep working hard and stop lookin' like a FLAMER!!

Black@Gold Forever32
08-02-2007, 01:11 PM
I have never been a big Wilson fan......His little run he had in 05 play-offs was good but other then that he has done crap with the Steelers...If you feel ignored then do something about Ced so you're not ignored.....Usually I don't care if players speak their minds but Ced is whining like a little girl......lol

Would like to see Wilson cut but I still see him making the team.....Ok Ward and Holmes are fine......I think Washington has some talent and could be a solid player with more playing time.....I like the potential of Willie Reid and he is having a great camp but he is still an unknown in game action......I like Dallas Baker and the un drafted kid that catches everything according to the reporters.....But I see them more of practice squad guys at first so Wilson will make the team due to his experience..

The Duke
08-02-2007, 01:17 PM
But I see them more of practice squad guys at first so Wilson will make the team due to his experience..

Unfortunately, but you're right, he has experience and we need depth at the position while the young receivers develop

rbryan
08-02-2007, 01:30 PM
No disputing he has come up short on his TD's but he has made his fair share of plays in short yardage situations to keep the sticks moving. He had a huge playoffs in 05 and for that I will always be grateful, but he needs to STFU. Being a crybaby in this town will get you nowhere fast. Somebody needs to remind Ced he's not in San Fran anymore.

ChronoCross
08-02-2007, 01:44 PM
He will not get cut this season most likely. Guy came for San Fran with only 1 fumble, and I thought it would be a decent pickup since he had pretty good hands there and did not fumble. But after ced being here, all I see is a crybaby on the field and off the field. There can be a defender 10 feet from him and he will pitch a cry for pass interference. He cried so much this last year I am just feed up with it. He needs to play and just shut up. Its a team effort, who gets the ball are who does not get the ball that much, its to work to the common goal of getting to the Super Bowl as a team.

Buzz05
08-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Hmmm heres an idea...maybe if ol Ced would catch the ball when its thrown to him he wouldnt be ignored when he isnt glued to the DB...just a thought....now Im verklempt...talk amongst yourselves...

Preacher
08-02-2007, 02:04 PM
He will not get cut this season most likely. Guy came for San Fran with only 1 fumble, and I thought it would be a decent pickup since he had pretty good hands there and did not fumble. But after ced being here, all I see is a crybaby on the field and off the field. There can be a defender 10 feet from him and he will pitch a cry for pass interference. He cried so much this last year I am just feed up with it. He needs to play and just shut up. Its a team effort, who gets the ball are who does not get the ball that much, its to work to the common goal of getting to the Super Bowl as a team.

Chrono... I gotta agree with you. Absolutely.

I just wonder if Cedrick is better then Washington for the fourth receiver... cause I think we have the first three in Ward, Holmes, and Reid.

HometownGal
08-02-2007, 02:18 PM

This is exactly where I'm at with Cedric. Arians says it best....

Bruce Arians, the new offensive coordinator, said a receiver wanting the ball more is not a bad thing.

If he's willing to work to improve his game, give him a shot. :cheers:

Preacher
08-02-2007, 02:47 PM

HTG... I agree... but that whining he does HAS to stop.

ChronoCross
08-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Chrono... I gotta agree with you. Absolutely.

I just wonder if Cedrick is better then Washington for the fourth receiver... cause I think we have the first three in Ward, Holmes, and Reid.

Not sure Preach. Washington seems to me to have better work ethics and heart to fight to improve and if Washington just improves a hair over last year to were he makes more of the easy catches, he will by far be better to the team then Ced and push Ced back down the line again. And if Reid keeps fighting hard in training camp we might just see Ced down to #5 and Reid move up to #4 while Washington stays at #3. A lot of battle still left to do and other WRs still in the mix in camp also pushing for a starting spot.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Not sure Preach. Washington seems to me to have better work ethics and heart to fight to improve and if Washington just improves a hair over last year to were he makes more of the easy catches, he will by far be better to the team then Ced and push Ced back down the line again. And if Reid keeps fighting hard in training camp we might just see Ced down to #5 and Reid move up to #4 while Washington stays at #3. A lot of battle still left to do and other WRs still in the mix in camp also pushing for a starting spot.

Exactly....I like Nate Washington personally....I think he could a solid WR for this team and he has good leaping ability.....All Washington needs to work on is his toughness/concentration....especially after recieving some contact.....I think Washington will be the third WR again this year......With Ced being the 4th and being pushed by Willie Reid......

Atlanta Dan
08-02-2007, 03:40 PM

Wanting the ball is great but showing up your teammates & coaches on the field and by barking to the media is bullshit.

In the words of Jmmy Johnson, if you are going to talk the talk you better walk the walk - with regard to on the field production Wilson is barely crawling.

Crushzilla
08-02-2007, 03:45 PM
If this team had more experience at WR I would have to say Wilson should be packing his bags. I'm just not impressed by ol' LGA at all.

No way he's going anywhere, though, with so many youngsters out there.

ShutDown24
08-02-2007, 04:05 PM
He's a good receiver, but I think this is probably his last season with the Steelers depending on injuries... Ward, Holmes, Washington, Reid, and Baker (If he can screw his head on at practice) are a potent enough group for me. I honestly like Cedric but he's like a less talented (also less troubled) version of Terrell Owens, T.O. junior we can call him. He came from the 49ers had one successful year with a team from Pennsylvania then started the whining... Sound familiar?

In all honesty though, he just doesn't fit in very well with the Steelers no-nonsense style. I remember a play when we were clobbering a team (don't remember who or when) and Wilson bobbled a ball on the sideline to be called incomplete. The score was like 40 - 0 or something like that... Actually it might have been the Browns game a couple years ago, the shutout.... but anyway he bobbles a ball, argues he caught it and Cowher challenged it just to prove Ced wrong and even after the officials, the majority of Steelers and the booth agreed it was incomplete he still continued his tantrum... Anyway, just get rid of him once we are stable at receiver... We can always put Kuhn in his place if we have too... :)

Preacher
08-02-2007, 04:09 PM
He's a good receiver, but I think this is probably his last season with the Steelers depending on injuries... Ward, Holmes, Washington, Reid, and Baker (If he can screw his head on at practice) are a potent enough group for me. I honestly like Cedric but he's like a less talented (also less troubled) version of Terrell Owens, T.O. junior we can call him. He came from the 49ers had one successful year with a team from Pennsylvania then started the whining... Sound familiar?

In all honesty though, he just doesn't fit in very well with the Steelers no-nonsense style. I remember a play when we were clobbering a team (don't remember who or when) and Wilson bobbled a ball on the sideline to be called incomplete. The score was like 40 - 0 or something like that... Actually it might have been the Browns game a couple years ago, the shutout.... but anyway he bobbles a ball, argues he caught it and Cowher challenged it just to prove Ced wrong and even after the officials, the majority of Steelers and the booth agreed it was incomplete he still continued his tantrum... Anyway, just get rid of him once we are stable at receiver... We can always put Kuhn in his place if we have too... :)

:sofunny::sofunny:

Sure is amazing how that guy can play every position!

ShutDown24
08-02-2007, 04:11 PM
He is going to be footballs greatest iron-man when his career is finished with 50,000 yards rushing and record setting receptions/tackles!

rbryan
08-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Sounds like maybe Ced has already worked his way down to 4 or 5 on the depth chart. That would account for fewer touches so far this training camp.

Preacher
08-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Sounds like maybe Ced has already worked his way down to 4 or 5 on the depth chart. That would account for fewer touches so far this training camp.

Fewer touches... more mouth..

Well, I guess we can't complain.. He's learned from the best..

***cough cough Hines cough cough Fanaca cough cough***

albany80
08-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Who wants to sing this baby a nighttime song?

Is there a faster way to getting cut, than whine like a baby??? sheesh!

Jman
08-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Fewer touches... more mouth..

Well, I guess we can't complain.. He's learned from the best..

***cough cough Hines cough cough Fanaca cough cough***

The difference is...on game day Hines and Faneca show up...

MasterOfPuppets
08-02-2007, 06:50 PM
feelin ignored? he should be feelin the boot on his ass !!!:buttkick: wilson should be nothin but a near league minimum, 4th reciever!!!

Preacher
08-02-2007, 07:36 PM
The difference is...on game day Hines and Faneca show up...

True...

I guess that is a fine point Wilson didn't pick up on.

NV STEELERS 723
08-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Wilson mad some great catches for us in the 05 Divisional, but I agree that his "whining" is BS....shut your mouth, run your pattererns, and maybe our QB will throw you a bone...we don't need a TO on the STEELERS !!!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
08-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Ok Ced is acting like a tool and whining like a girl....But he is far from acting like T.O....Now if Ced starts doing sit up in a drive way and Drew Rosenhaus shows up and starts asking Next Question then you might be on to something...lol

Preacher
08-03-2007, 01:52 AM
Ok Ced is acting like a tool and whining like a girl....But he is far from acting like T.O....Now if Ced starts doing sit up in a drive way and Drew Rosenhaus shows up and starts asking Next Question then you might be on to something...lol

:sofunny::sofunny:

Gotta give credit where it is due though... It sounds like he took Reid under his wing and worked with him... and that is paying off. So if the money spent on Cedric comes out in training up Reid...

I'll take that!

ricksteelers55
08-03-2007, 02:49 AM
Could someone please tell what TEAM word means ?

Jerome Bettis didn't act like a diva when Willie Parker and Duce Staley took some of his jobs.

So if Bettis didn't say a damn thing...why would we listen to you little cry-baby.

Just cut him so he'll end up playin for the clowns

jjpro11
08-03-2007, 11:32 AM
when you are the #4 receiver on the depth chart, you arent going to get many looks. willie reid has the chance to move him to #5 or out.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-03-2007, 12:04 PM
when you are the #4 receiver on the depth chart, you arent going to get many looks. willie reid has the chance to move him to #5 or out.

He could definitly be out this preseason depending on the play of Dallas Baker, Reid, and Washington. And I wouldnt complain if he was cut.

stillers4me
08-03-2007, 02:41 PM
I was at training camp yesterday. Every QB threw him the ball, and he caught them all. There was an announcer at the night practice last night and everybody around us was commenting on how many he was getting.

Preacher
08-03-2007, 04:58 PM
I was at training camp yesterday. Every QB threw him the ball, and he caught them all. There was an announcer at the night practice last night and everybody around us was commenting on how many he was getting.

Now that really upsets me.

Why?? Because he has just taught the younger kids a lesson... Don't like something? Whine to the press.... you'll get what you want.

fansince'76
08-03-2007, 05:00 PM

Why?? Because he has just taught the younger kids a lesson... Don't like something? Whine to the press.... you'll get what you want.

Yes, that is quite troubling. Don't let the media dictate what you do - EVER!

Crushzilla
08-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Yes, that is quite troubling. Don't let the media dictate what you do - EVER!

I agree.

To make it worse, its Wilson, too. Why rub his belly? What the hell has he done for us?

fansince'76
08-03-2007, 05:05 PM
I agree.

To make it worse, its Wilson, too. Why rub his belly? What the hell has he done for us?

Exactly - if I'm Tomlin, this guy's in my doghouse big time and he'd be getting extra laps, not throws.

Welcome To Smashmouth
08-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Cedrick Wilson feels ignored because hes the biggest underachiever on the Pittsburgh Steelers roster

When a starter goes the ENTIRE regular season without a TD catch for the Pittsburgh Steelers....come on now. We can only hope Dallas Baker progresses steadily into a slot receiver...Ceds days here need to be numbered

TackleMeBen
08-04-2007, 10:32 PM

now we need tony to post a cheese pic to go wtih Ceds whining...lol:flap: