PDA

View Full Version : Simmons not worried about contract

83-Steelers-43
08-02-2007, 01:36 AM
Steelers' Simmons not worried about contract
By The Tribune-Review
Thursday, August 2, 2007

Kendall Simmons is in the final year of his contract but the right guard said he is focused more on retaining his starting job than securing a contract extension that will keep him with the Steelers beyond 2007.

"I'm going to keep performing the way I need to and hope they take notice of it," said Simmons, the team's first-round pick in the 2002 draft. "That's all I can do about it."

The two sides are not believed to be close on an extension though Simmons is hopeful a deal will be worked out.

"You don't want to start all over again," he said of the possibility of leaving the Steelers after this season, "but it's a business and that's part of it. I need to get better. That's what I'm trying to do every day."

Simmons had a good offseason and is off to a strong start in his bid to hold off Chris Kemoeatu at right guard.

? Coach Mike Tomlin and his staff have had discussions on how long the starters will play in the Steelers' first exhibition game Sunday in Canton, Ohio. The starters don't figure to stay on the field long in the 8 p.m. game against the New Orleans Saints since it is the Steelers' first preseason game and they have an extra exhibition game this year.

"We'll continue to monitor (it) until we get closer to the game," Tomlin said of when a decision will be made, "because we do have more work to do out here."

? Tomlin usually wears a long-sleeved shirt and long pants during practice. The first-year Steelers coach always wears black, which is about the last color most folks would choose if they are going to spend a significant part of the day outside in August. There is, however, a method to Tomlin's madness.

"It's part of the mental warfare," Tomlin said. "I don't want guys to come up to me and talk about how hot it is because they know I don't care. That's part of it. I hope it gets hotter."

? The Steelers will dedicate the new football field at St. Vincent College to legendary coach Chuck Noll before today's late afternoon practice. The dedication is scheduled for 4:55 p.m., and it will precede the Steelers' 5:30 p.m. practice. Steelers chairman Dan Rooney and president Art Rooney II as well as several former players will be on hand for the ceremony. St. Vincent is fielding a football team this year, and the new field has bleachers as well as a press box that bears Noll's name. Both the ceremony and practice that follows are free and open to the public. Fans are encouraged to arrive early if they plan to attend either.

? Hall of Fame running back Franco Harris visited St. Vincent College yesterday and watched the Steelers' afternoon practice. ... The heat index for the afternoon practice exceeded 100 degrees on the field. ... The practice scheduled for 10 to 11 a.m. today is not open to the public.

Digits

337 - Carries Willie Parker had last season, fifth most (tied) in the NFL.

98 - Points kicker Jeff Reed needs this season to pass Franco Harris and move into third place on the Steelers' all-time scoring list.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_520246.html

Preacher
08-02-2007, 02:37 AM
Kendall Simmons is in the final year of his contract but the right guard said he is focused more on retaining his starting job than securing a contract extension that will keep him with the Steelers beyond 2007.

"I'm going to keep performing the way I need to and hope they take notice of it," said Simmons, the team's first-round pick in the 2002 draft. "That's all I can do about it."

Good... I hope he continues to focus on it... he has the ABILITY to be a great player... but just hasn't lived up to it.

The Duke
08-02-2007, 02:47 AM
If he plays well this season I hope he's back in 2008

83-Steelers-43
08-02-2007, 03:14 AM
Hell, at this point I'm just happy he's not complaining. It's refreshing.

The Duke
08-02-2007, 03:18 AM
83, you just reached 10,000 posts, congrats....I guess

83-Steelers-43
08-02-2007, 03:26 AM
83, you just reached 10,000 posts, congrats....I guess

Thank you. :smile::tt02:

At this time I would like to thank God. For him I wouldn't be able to type on this computer. Praise the Lord!! Can I get an Amen? Second I would like to thank my family. I love you all. Third I would like to thank my agent and publisher. You guys made it all happen. I would also like to thank my dog, cat, zebra and the three black and gold painted midgets that I have hidden in my basement.

Thank you all.

Galax Steeler
08-02-2007, 04:53 AM
I would say simmons is probably in his last year with the steelers.

rbryan
08-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Hopefully he is a little more worried than he acts. Not much of a contract coming to him if he ends up on the bench.

Even if he has a break out season I would be hesitant to signing him to an extension. We don't need a guy thats only going to turn up the volume in his contract year.

SCSTILLER
08-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Another thing to consider with Simmons is his health! It was a problem a little while back, hopefully it will not be a problem this year.