PDA

View Full Version : Statistics you might not know about

SteelerWatch
08-03-2007, 11:36 AM
For a long time, the Browns dominated the Pittsburgh-Cleveland rivalry. Recent history, though, is very lopsided in favor of the Steelers. Last year, thanks to a season sweep, the Steelers finally evened the series up at 55(!) wins apiece. Considering how long the Steelers have had the upperhand, the fact that they are just now in position to have a winning record against the Browns is a testament to how utterly bad this team was before Noll arrived (and how mediocre we were through the 1980s with a record of 8-12).

Facts:
- The Browns entered the league in 1950. It took the Steelers until th.eir 8th game against the franchise, in 1954, to finally grab a victory from our now-biggest rival.

- It even took the legendary Noll four tries to beat them. He managed a career record of 25-21, with six season sweeps.

- Bill Cowher racked up a 20-6 record against the Browns, picking up nearly 40 percent of the team's all-time victories in the series, while giving up barely more than 10 percent of the all-time losses. His record against the Browns included seven season sweeps in just 12 seasons, including two three-game sweeps due to matchups in the playoffs in 1994 and 2002.

The Duke
08-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Good fact. The browns were obviously better during the Noll years, and in the Cowher years they sucked, just like now. I predict Tomlin to have a 30-0 record against the clowns if he stays for 15 years on the team :wave:

MACH1
08-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Should be able to get up couple games on them this year. :smile:

HometownGal
08-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the info SteelerWatch! :cheers:

I'm not going to thump my chest just yet. I am a believer in the "any given Sunday" theory and no matter how bad a team has performed in the past, I never count 'em out, especially not a division rival.

jtmill
08-03-2007, 01:30 PM
I agree HG. We lost to the Raiders last year for Pete's sake.

SCSTILLER
08-03-2007, 01:30 PM
I think the best game against the Brownies was the 2002-3 playoff game when we came back from a 24-7 deficit and beat them 36-33.

Thanx for the info, did not know much of those stats.

Galax Steeler
08-04-2007, 02:36 AM
I have to agree with you scstiller that was a great game.

Preacher
08-04-2007, 02:55 AM

I'm not going to thump my chest just yet. I am a believer in the "any given Sunday" theory and no matter how bad a team has performed in the past, I never count 'em out, especially not a division rival.

Yep. I agree with you completely. Remember when we lost to Texans when they had what... 50 offensive yards? :banging:

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-04-2007, 04:58 AM
Yep. I agree with you completely. Remember when we lost to Texans when they had what... 50 offensive yards? :banging:

We saw a virtual repeat of this last year with Oakland.

OneForTheToe
08-04-2007, 10:14 AM
I think the best game against the Brownies was the 2002-3 playoff game when we came back from a 24-7 deficit and beat them 36-33.

Thanx for the info, did not know much of those stats.

That was a great game.

A question: anyone remember the flea-flicker td pass (a bomb) from Bradshaw to Cunningham, which ended a game in OT? Was that game against Cleveland or Cinci? I think it was Cleveland. I was kid, but I remember is jumping up and down like a maniac. That had to be the farthest Cunningham ever ran in his life.

Stlrs4Life
08-04-2007, 11:28 AM

Totally agree HTG. You never know. Every blind squirrel finds an acorn sometimes.

Jman
08-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Good info. We'll see if the Browns can win some in the division.

LarryNJ
08-04-2007, 07:07 PM
That was a great game.

A question: anyone remember the flea-flicker td pass (a bomb) from Bradshaw to Cunningham, which ended a game in OT? Was that game against Cleveland or Cinci? I think it was Cleveland. I was kid, but I remember is jumping up and down like a maniac. That had to be the farthest Cunningham ever ran in his life.

You are correct it was Cleveland in 78 at 3 Rivers. Bradshaw handed off to Franco or Rocky, they handed to Swann or Stallworth, who pitched it back to Bradshaw who threw it to Cunnigham for the TD. On the kickoff in OT the Steelers fumbled it away, sort of like out ST last year, the browns were in instant FG range but the ref ruled him down before the fumble and the Steelers kept the ball. :smile:

The following year '79 at Three Rivers was an even better game, 5 quarters of brutal hard back and forth football. The Steelers tied it with seconds left in regulation won with only seconds remaining in OT.

It has always been fun to beat the Browns. In the late 70's for $40 we would get a bus ride to Cleveland, all the beer you could drink on the ride up & back, game tickets and a steak dinner at the Brown Derby on the way home. It was always a fun and wild time.

SteelCityMan786
08-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Good fact. The browns were obviously better during the Noll years, and in the Cowher years they sucked, just like now. I predict Tomlin to have a 30-0 record against the clowns if he stays for 15 years on the team :wave:

That should be the case. 30-0+ in case he stays that long.

SteelCityMan786
08-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Good info. We'll see if the Browns can win some in the division.

Not for some time.

OneForTheToe
08-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the info, LarryNJ. Those are indeed great memories.

Jman
08-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Not for some time.

I doubt it as well.

Infamix
08-04-2007, 09:15 PM
interesting stat...well now lets take the upperhand for all-time =D