View Full Version : Davenport to start, Ben to see limited duty Sunday

SteelCityMan786
08-03-2007, 01:13 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_520534.html

Davenport to start, Ben to see limited duty Sunday
By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, August 3, 2007

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin plans to play his starters 12-15 snaps in the preseason opener Sunday against the New Orleans Saints in Canton, Ohio.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger might only play a series.

"It's our intention to play Ben a little less than most of the starters and go with Charlie Batch after that," Tomlin said Friday at a news conference in Latrobe.

Najeh Davenport will start at tailback, in place of Willie Parker (inflammation, left knee). Others who will sit out include rookie outside linebacker Lawrence Timmons (groin), inside linebacker Derek Rehage (thumb) and offensive lineman Darnell Stapleton (knee).

Tomlin did not rule out right outside linebacker James Harrison (ribs), but if Harrison doesn't play, as seems likely, Clark Haggans will switch to the right side and rookie LaMarr Woodley will start on the left side.

Tomlin said Willie Reid will return punts and be the primary kick-return man to start the game. Ryan Clark will start at free safety, ahead of Anthony Smith, and Deshea Townsend at right cornerback, ahead of Bryant McFadden.

"Those guys are extremely consistent," Tomlin said of Townsend and Clark. "You know what you'll get from them."

In addition, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians will work on the field, not the press box. That is his preference. Many offensive coordinators work from the press box, but Arians also worked from the field when he was the Cleveland Browns' offensive coordinator.

"You can't cook from the living room," Tomlin said.

The quarterback rotation will see Batch followed by Brian St. Pierre, followed by Bryan Randall.

SteelCityMan786
08-03-2007, 01:14 PM
I like this idea. Protect Ben the first couple of weeks, then let him show what he's got for a half against Philly.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-03-2007, 01:18 PM
I like this idea. Protect Ben the first couple of weeks, then let him show what he's got for a half against Philly.

Yeah I really dont mind him playing only a series. They need to just work him in slowly and let the backups get most of the reps.

The Duke
08-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Tomlin said Willie Reid will return punts and be the primary kick-return man to start the game.
Good news :tt02: Goodbye Colclough

Ryan Clark will start at free safety, ahead of Anthony Smith

:nono: Just kidding, I like clark, but I can't wait to see anthony smash someone, maybe they're saving him for the regular season :thumbsup:

At least we get to se Dookie after his first steelers TC

SteelCityMan786
08-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Good news :tt02: Goodbye Colclough

:nono: Just kidding, I like clark, but I can't wait to see anthony smash someone, maybe they're saving him for the regular season :thumbsup:

At least we get to se Dookie after his first steelers TC

I can see Davenport playing a quarter or so. He's probably going to be the number 2 back followed by Haynes as the 3rd down. However, Najeh is built like Jerome to get the tough yards.

fansince'76
08-03-2007, 01:32 PM
As long as there are no injuries, it's all good to me. :hope:

mental.apparition
08-03-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure Coclough is going anywhere just yet. The kid has some talent as a DB.

Davenport is big but not a bruiser like the Bus. Reports are Haynes is not yet fully recovered from the knee. He is no lock as the 3rd down guy.

There are a lot of exciting young guys on this team and this is the game we'll see who starts to separate from the pack.

iloveben7
08-03-2007, 01:57 PM
I'm really excited to see Reid play a lot this season. I was disappointed last season when he injured his ankle. I think Reid will do great things for us.

HometownGal
08-03-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm really excited to see Reid play a lot this season. I was disappointed last season when he injured his ankle. I think Reid will do great things for us.

Most definitely. I believe Reid is going to make his mark this season. :thumbsup:

I'm really looking forward to the HOF game. It will be just a taste of what we Steelers fans will get to savor in the coming weeks and months! :tt02::tt02:

rog
08-03-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm excited to see Woodley get after Brees if he gets the chance to start not to mention Reid hopefully getting to return some punts. Sunday can't get here fast enough.

Crushzilla
08-03-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm ok with Davenport starting, but when a certain Future Hall of Famer hits the field at HB sometime in the second half I'll probably pass out in a fit of excitement...

Edman
08-03-2007, 04:36 PM
I have no issues with the limited time.

Preseason in reality, is just a lithmus test for finding out about your depth. I'm looking forward to seeing what Gary Russell can do. I've been hearing good things about him.

Crushzilla
08-03-2007, 04:40 PM
I have no issues with the limited time.

Preseason in reality, is just a lithmus test for finding out about your depth. I'm looking forward to seeing what Gary Russell can do. I've been hearing good things about him.

I, too, am excited about him.

I've said before. If he could have kept his grades up in college he would have went in the draft in the first day being from a Minnesota offense that recently has pumped out Maroney and Barber III (I believe).

Livinginthe past
08-03-2007, 04:46 PM
I dont know. Is this typical - playing a QB for one series?

Im guessing they are going to come out throwing the ball or they could be in danger of having Roethlisberger throw one incomplete pass and then going to sit on the bench.

Seems a little pointless at first glance, play the guy for at least a quarter so he has a fighting chance of correcting some stuff and knocking the rust off.

WWIIOwheelz
08-03-2007, 05:38 PM
I find it interesting that Ariens wants to be on the field instead of in the box. It would seem you could learn more about the defenses from high above, seeing the whole field vs what the players actually see, but I suppose that's why they pay them the big bucks.

SteelCityMan786
08-03-2007, 05:44 PM

Im guessing they are going to come out throwing the ball or they could be in danger of having Roethlisberger throw one incomplete pass and then going to sit on the bench.

Seems a little pointless at first glance, play the guy for at least a quarter so he has a fighting chance of correcting some stuff and knocking the rust off.

Especially in preseason, it's a good idea to do this.

I'm hoping he gets enough to get the rust off over the next couple of weeks.

HometownGal
08-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Well, as long as they play Ben more this preseason than they did last time. They tried the one-or-two-series-and-out routine in every game last year, and he obviously was not ready when the real season started.

You have to remember, steelreserve, that only 6 weeks prior, Ben was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident. This year, he is one year older, one year stronger and hopefully one year wiser. :thumbsup:

MACH1
08-03-2007, 06:16 PM
I hope the starters get a little more playing time this year before they sit. Last year it was about 3 plays and out, we know how last year turned out.

Preacher
08-03-2007, 06:52 PM

This is actually VERY normal for the Steeler organization. Also, don't forget, they are playing 5 pre-season games this year, after a LOT more practice then they have been used to. SO yeah, it does make sense to me.

Livinginthe past
08-03-2007, 09:17 PM
This is actually VERY normal for the Steeler organization. Also, don't forget, they are playing 5 pre-season games this year, after a LOT more practice then they have been used to. SO yeah, it does make sense to me.

Thats fair enough, I guess.

Personally i'd give Ben as long as it took (within reason) to get in sync with his WR's, to work through some of the issues that are definitely going to arise with a new offense and his larger part in it.

What they need, the way I see it, is plenty of information that they can use in the week between preseason games to correct those issues - they aren't going to really get anything from one or two series.

I'd even go as far as calling it a waste of time (if he plays for anything less than a quarter)

Surely game time 'practice' is a much better use of time than TC practice against his own guys in a controlled environment?

Galax Steeler
08-04-2007, 03:43 AM
I would have to say I would play ben a couple of series.

Preacher
08-04-2007, 04:07 AM
Thats fair enough, I guess.

Personally i'd give Ben as long as it took (within reason) to get in sync with his WR's, to work through some of the issues that are definitely going to arise with a new offense and his larger part in it.

What they need, the way I see it, is plenty of information that they can use in the week between preseason games to correct those issues - they aren't going to really get anything from one or two series.

I'd even go as far as calling it a waste of time (if he plays for anything less than a quarter)

Surely game time 'practice' is a much better use of time than TC practice against his own guys in a controlled environment?

That may be true, but traditionally not the way the Steelers do it. I know that over the last few years, the starters BARELY played a couple series in the first couple of games. They played the most in the 3rd, maybe almost a quarter. Then barely played again in the fourth game.

Livinginthe past
08-04-2007, 06:30 AM
That may be true, but traditionally not the way the Steelers do it. I know that over the last few years, the starters BARELY played a couple series in the first couple of games. They played the most in the 3rd, maybe almost a quarter. Then barely played again in the fourth game.

Well, thats interesting.

I've never had the chnace of watching a pre-season game (live or not live) before so im normally working off Gamecast - its not always easy to tell who is on the field.

One other pet peeve with preseason is that I think its a waste of time playing the whole second team together - in real life, you are going to have to see how 1 or two of the depth players plugs into the first team.

I'd love to see (over in New England) Matt Cassel throw with the first team for a quarter just to see how it might work.