PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cowhers fate...

BB2W
09-21-2005, 01:01 PM
I like Cowher, but I know there are a lot of Steelers fans that want him gone, and some people down right hate him. There is some serious Cowher bashing at many of Steelers message boards on the net, but you don't see it much here. I wondered what the general opinion was, and what would coach Cowher's fate be at the hands of SF.

Post your thoughts too...

Prosdo
09-21-2005, 01:10 PM
I like Cowher as well. He always seems to have a competitive team and has taken us to the playoffs a lot. Yes, he hasn't won the big one yet, but he isn't doing a bad job here. I say keep him here.

Va_steeler
09-21-2005, 01:24 PM
I like Cower alot. I think he has done alot for the Steelers, yet the havent got to the big 1, but every year he seems to progress and gets better player for the team!

pitt
09-21-2005, 01:39 PM
I like Coach Cowher. I hope he stays for a long time.

BB2W
09-21-2005, 01:45 PM
I like the fact Cowher has the logest tenure of active coaches. I think it says a lot about the stability of the organization.

I know he has not won it all, and may be too conservative, or is not the best situational coach, but you can't say enough about motivational skills, leadership, preparation, and overall eye for talent.

I have a unique veiw on Cowhers struggles in the playoffs... I think that he is a master motivator and a great leader, and he can get his teams to play above there ability week in and week out in the regular season. The problem is in the late rounds of the playoffs a lesser team will likely get exposed no matter how well prepared or motivated they are. Maybe those Steelers teams under Bill never were the best...

I am not a Superbowl or nothing kinda fan, and if I could pick between...

A). A team that wins a Superbowl, but is usually a non-factor and out of the playoff race.

B). A franchise that is always competitive, and usually at the top of the conference.

I would choose B...

SteelProven
09-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Cowher has earned his right to stay with the Steelers as long as he likes, IMO. There isn't a coach out there right now that fits Pittsburgh and represents what the Steelers organization is all about more than Cowher does.

TasmanianTroy271
09-21-2005, 02:09 PM
The Rooneys'll keep Cowher as long as he keeps fans in the seats, and he'll keep fans in the seats as long as he keeps up his "never 2 losing seasons in a row" streak.

Soldier4Steelers
09-21-2005, 02:19 PM
i think cowher is perfect for the steelers. his downfall is he only knows one kind of football. when he couldnt run it up the gut in 03-04 they missed the playoffs and thats when the real cowher bashing began. id rather watch 15ish seasons of 12 or more wins majority ending in close afc champ L's, then be like the bucs and go a decade absent from the playoffs, win a superbowl... and go RIGHT back to being .... well.... the bucs.

clevestinks
09-21-2005, 02:27 PM
There are no gaurantees out there. Changing coaches rarely seems like it is the right answer. Beside year after year, we have descent teams. Yeah it blows not winning the big one. But could it be worse? Hell Yes. No offense to Cleve, NO, Cinci, Det. and some others,have they ever one the big one? Are they competetive year after year? Have they made it to 5 afc championships, combined, in the last 15 years? Yet see how many coaching changes they gone through. We are in a great spot right now, and Cowher will prevail.

Cowher is Pittsburgh

Hammer67
09-21-2005, 02:31 PM
i think cowher is perfect for the steelers. his downfall is he only knows one kind of football. when he couldnt run it up the gut in 03-04 they missed the playoffs and thats when the real cowher bashing began. id rather watch 15ish seasons of 12 or more wins majority ending in close afc champ L's, then be like the bucs and go a decade absent from the playoffs, win a superbowl... and go RIGHT back to being .... well.... the bucs.

I completely agree...how enjoyable was all of last season?

Whenever someone bashes Cowher they usually fail to answer the question of "Who would be a better coach with the Steelers and with the talent they have?"

I do have to disagree just a little...he did change it up a few years ago (remember the arrival of Tommy Gun?) and opened up the passing game. That obviously was a failed experiment. :checkit:

I just think the type of football Cowher preaches is the type of football we love in Western PA. Hard nosed, physical & tough. They are generally consistent and always competative unlike a lot of teams in the NFL. Look at the Steelers of the 50's & 60's...even though they usually lost, they still intimidated and played physical. Teams hated to come here. It's the same way now but they have more talent and win.

Cowher will win a Super Bowl. And, he will win it his way, the Steeler way. And, I wouldn't WANT it any other way. :sign08: :drink:

Hammer :cool:

Koopa
09-21-2005, 02:32 PM
i voted if he don't win in three years bye bye, cause damn what's the point of all these great regular seasons? i'd rather barely win the division and win the superbowl then go 15 and 1 and lose in the afcc again.

BB2W
09-21-2005, 02:38 PM
i voted if he don't win in three years bye bye, cause damn what's the point of all these great regular seasons? i'd rather barely win the division and win the superbowl then go 15 and 1 and lose in the afcc again.

I can understand where you are coming from King... I am suprised to see so much support for Cowher. I thought it would be more 50/50... I know many fans feel the same as you, and some would say giving him three years is too generous.

Ambridge
09-21-2005, 02:48 PM
I've always liked Bill Cowher but over the last several season I've found myself bashing him more and more and have gotten pretty fed-up with the poor showings in the playoffs.

IMO he's been in Pittsburgh long enough now and has had too many blown opportunities where it should be the "Lombardi Trophy or Nothing".
In the past (especially last season) I'd be so confident about our chances to get to the Super Bowl only to watch in stunned silence as another AFCC game debacle takes place.

I've made a personal vow to just enjoy the season as it goes along this year with no expectations and reserve going nuts and crazy until the Steelers get that 5th Lombardi
whenever it may be........with or without Cowher.

Other than that I think the Rooney's let Cowher stay for as long as he wants.

Hammer67
09-21-2005, 02:52 PM
I understand where you are coming from King... I am suprised to see so much support for Cowher. I thought it would be more 50/50... I know many fans feel the same as you, and some would say giving him three years is too generous.

The problem is that most fans who want Cowher gone really don't know why, at least from the arguments I have seen...

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, sure, but I always challenge people as to who would do a better job then Cowher with the Steelers?

Sure, Cowher has a bad record in AFC championship games, but at least he gets the Steelers into them more then most coaches in the NFL. He keeps the Steelers in the hunt more often then not, playing a style of football that is consistent with the organization. The funny thing is that other teams always know what the Steelers are going to do...run right at them for 70% of the game and blitz on defense...period. And Cowher still wins most games. That's pretty good.

If you look at the AFC title games, what has caused the losses? Turnovers. Execution. (special teams) Cowher took a team with a rookie QB to the AFC title game. :excited: How often does that happen? As long as Cowher keeps getting them there, they will get one. he is one of the most successful coaches over the last 15 years...

Hammer

Hammer67
09-21-2005, 02:54 PM
All of this is moot anyway as the Rooney's will probably never fire Cowher. They love stability and Cowher does win a lot of games...

BB2W
09-21-2005, 10:41 PM
All of this is moot anyway as the Rooney's will probably never fire Cowher. They love stability and Cowher does win a lot of games...

I agree the Steelers will likely stick with Cowher... I was just interested in finding out this sites general opinion.

Lyn
09-21-2005, 10:54 PM
I voted that Bill Cowher should stay as long as he wants, he deserves it! I did not always feel that way.

I wanted Cowher gone when Parcells was available. However, I now know those were kneejerk reactions all relating to the seemingly "never make any adjustments because we have so much money wrapped in KS, we are going to keep him come hell or high water!" attitude from Cowher and Rooney. I still firmly believe they were wrong there but since they finally came to their senses and got rid of Stewart, I am behind Cowher. I am a Steeler fan and feel that the Front Office knows more about this than I will ever even care to know. I just do not like paying good money to see Pop Warner ball and when KS played I booed his butt, but he is gone and that is over. I think that much of the disdain for Cowher came from the Kordell Stewart years and fpor the reasons I have mentioned.

Anyone can beat any other team if the conditions are right, that ole "on any given Sunday............................................ .." thingy

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2005, 01:39 AM
The Rooneys love Bill and vice versa. They believe in him, his attitude, work ethic, knowledge of the game, etc. As long as he wants to stay and we are atleast midly successful, I dont see him going anywere.

Suitanim
09-22-2005, 10:13 AM
I was more surprised than disappointed when we didn't win the SB last year, but, if we continue to play at a high level, with this defense and all the talent we have, and fail to win the Super Bowl this year, I'll be pretty angry...If it's another situation like O'Donnell in '95, then I'll be angry at that player, but if there is some clear let down in intensity and/or gameplanning, and we make stupid mistakes (Ben last year doesn't count), then I'm going to hang a good deal of blame of the Coach.

VirgilBosetti
09-22-2005, 01:02 PM
I agree. In the last three title games Kordell and Ben have averaged 3 INT's per game. You don't win against bad teams doing that....especially not the eventual SB champs.

Hammer67
09-22-2005, 01:31 PM
I agree. In the last three title games Kordell and Ben have averaged 3 INT's per game. You don't win against bad teams doing that....especially not the eventual SB champs.

Hey Virgil! I take it you read my note at the BGI!:cheers:

clevestinks
09-22-2005, 02:53 PM

Cant argue with somebody for voicing thier opinion. But who the Hell would you want to hire? Like I said know head coach can gaurantee a ring. Even Belichek couldnt win in Cleveland. I think firing a coach for making the playoffs year after year, really sucks. Give the guy a friggin break. He wants a ring way more than even we do. We are lucky o have him!

clevestinks
09-22-2005, 02:56 PM
I was more surprised than disappointed when we didn't win the SB last year, but, if we continue to play at a high level, with this defense and all the talent we have, and fail to win the Super Bowl this year, I'll be pretty angry...If it's another situation like O'Donnell in '95, then I'll be angry at that player, but if there is some clear let down in intensity and/or gameplanning, and we make stupid mistakes (Ben last year doesn't count), then I'm going to hang a good deal of blame of the Coach.

Gameplanning. OKAY.

Intensity? You cant teach intensity. Name me a more intense coach anyway? The players must be held accountable.

Koopa
09-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Cant argue with somebody for voicing thier opinion. But who the Hell would you want to hire? Like I said know head coach can gaurantee a ring. Even Belichek couldnt win in Cleveland. I think firing a coach for making the playoffs year after year, really sucks. Give the guy a friggin break. He wants a ring way more than even we do. We are lucky o have him!

hmmmm......well i never thought about that. i don't know, with me it's what have you done for me lately. sounds dumb but i rather see them win a superbowl then win a shitload of regular season games, but i have nothing against him, i like watching him get pissed at the players or the refs pretty damn funny the way his face looks when he's pissed off. he'll get it done sooner or later and it's not always the coaches fault when we lose, he's not out on the field throwing the ball.

Koopa
09-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Gameplanning. OKAY.

Intensity? You cant teach intensity. Name me a more intense coach anyway? The players must be held accountable.

yup, thanks cleve for showing me the light, i don't know why i always used to blame the coach for everything. i guess it's easy to point fingers at them but they ain't out on the field throwing the ball

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Cowher produces a good team every year
Not all coaches can do that, plus the players respect him
Keep him on board as long as he wants

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2005, 05:01 PM
It is a what have you done for me lately type of business yes.. but Cowher has had more success than any other tenured coach even close to him w/ overall records. He's as intense as ever so I dont really have a problem with him. He does tend to over coach now and then and be alittle stubborn, but all coaches do that.

He's the right fit for this team, as long as the players continue to respond to him and his coaching style, he's not going anywhere.

Suitanim
09-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Gameplanning. OKAY.

I've blamed the players as long as I can...Intensity isn't necesarily measured just by how high the players jump before the game starts, but in how they play every down of the game. The Steelers came out flat in the AFCCG last year...whose fault is that?

Ambridge
09-22-2005, 05:51 PM
The Steelers came out flat in the AFCCG last year...whose fault is that?

The same can be said for '01 AFCCG as well.

clevestinks
09-22-2005, 06:10 PM
I've blamed the players as long as I can...Intensity isn't necesarily measured just by how high the players jump before the game starts, but in how they play every down of the game. The Steelers came out flat in the AFCCG last year...whose fault is that?

Thier own fault!

How pumped where you for that game? I know that your a huge Steelers fan, so I know you were as jacked as I was! You couldnt tlak to me the morning of the game. If you were a cleveland fan that I live around, you knew better than to bust my balls that day. I couldnt sleep the night before. I was almost shaking, and sick to my stomach by kickoff. I was friggin stoked. If I were intense, and you were intense. Then why the frug wouldnt they be. This was the right to play in the superbowl. These are grown men. They played junior high, high school, college, and now pro. They know how to turn it up.

Did anyone ever think that just maybe, just maybe. We were beat by a better team. The Pats have just won 3 of 4 superbowls. Its not like it was a cake walk. Maybe it wasnt Cowhers fault. How many other teams have won 3 of 4 bowls? NONE. This is a damn good team.

Cowher turned a 6-10 team into a 15-1 team in just a season. Pretty friggin great, if you ask me.

Hammer67
09-22-2005, 07:40 PM
Even Bob Smizick said it in a recent column...Excecution by the players is 85% of whether or not a team wins or loses.

But think about the gameplanning thing...do you really think Cowher and other NFL veteran coaches haven't seen it all in terms of what teams are gonna do? I mean how many different looks can you get with the same teams year in, year out. Okay, so a team may go "no huddle" one game and standard huddle the next...so what? I think Cowher has seen enough football to know how to adjust. The players need to respond. That's why I think pro coaches need to be motivators more then anything else. Besides...the coordinators do more gameplanning then the head coach usually anyway.

Just a thought....

Suitanim
09-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Thier own fault!

How pumped where you for that game? I know that your a huge Steelers fan, so I know you were as jacked as I was! You couldnt tlak to me the morning of the game. If you were a cleveland fan that I live around, you knew better than to bust my balls that day. I couldnt sleep the night before. I was almost shaking, and sick to my stomach by kickoff. I was friggin stoked. If I were intense, and you were intense. Then why the frug wouldnt they be. This was the right to play in the superbowl. These are grown men. They played junior high, high school, college, and now pro. They know how to turn it up.

Did anyone ever think that just maybe, just maybe. We were beat by a better team. The Pats have just won 3 of 4 superbowls. Its not like it was a cake walk. Maybe it wasnt Cowhers fault. How many other teams have won 3 of 4 bowls? NONE. This is a damn good team.

Cowher turned a 6-10 team into a 15-1 team in just a season. Pretty friggin great, if you ask me.

I'll defer to Peyton Manning on this one. He was asked the question "How is it that the Patriots have had your number the last few years" in the latest Football Digest. He had a great answer, and I will try my best to convey what he said here...

Peyton said something along the lines of: "It's not necessarily what they do. They played a better game than we did last year, and we didn't play as good as we should have." While this sounds obvious, it's actually a Cliffs Notes version of a really informative article that I would encourage everyone, regardless of team allegience, to read.

Better team? Peyton didn't think the Pats were better. I don't think the Pats were more talented or better coached than the Steelers last year. I think we lost because our QB was out of his depth, and they took advantage of every opportunity we presented them, while we squandered all ours.

Eventually, though, if this keeps happening, the coach will be sacked. If you have a team that consistently misses out on opportunity, then you aren't properly preparing your players for it...or you are unlucky.

BB2W
09-22-2005, 10:33 PM
Jason Whitlock's Top Ten NFL Secrets on ESPN's page 2.....

1. Bill Cowher, without a Super Bowl title, is the second-best coach in the league.

If I have to tell you who No. 1 is, you're not qualified to read this column. I'd take Cowher ahead of Billick, Bill Parcells, Dick Vermeil and Mike Holmgren, all coaches with titles.

When you hire a football coach, you hope that he has a couple of coaching qualities that are constants. Bill Cowher-coached teams are going to run the football and play defense. If a team has those two elements, it will win games and contend for titles on a regular basis.

link....... http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/050922&num=0

CowherLover
09-23-2005, 09:51 PM
First off, I think ny screen name pretty much eludes what I'm about to say. The AFC has been on top long enough for all of us to apparently just how bad the AFC was not too long ago. I truly believe that our beloved coach and his style of play have had alot to do with the metamorphasis that has happened between the AFC and NFC. Everyone adjusted accordingly, at least the AFC, and we have been dominant since. I remember something similar being posted on here some time ago and I don't think anyone dared think of releasing Cowher at the time. I think we were still undefeated at the time it was brought up, I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion but let me ask you what team in the AFC you'd like to see him go to if he weren't to stay here. I know I damn sure hope he'd jump ship to the NFC because I wouldn't want to match up against him. Bill Cowher Power Hour!

clevestinks
09-24-2005, 03:27 AM
This is the part I find hard to understand. We are coming off a 15-1 season, where we had a rookie qb. Now we stand at 2-0, and some so-called fans are already bitching about him????????

Excuse me, but I`m rooting for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Not wasting my time comp-laining about firing a guy who is successful year after year.