PDA

View Full Version : Surprised by some of the "elected starters"

Welcome To Smashmouth
08-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Mike Tomlin obviously knows his DBs, as hes had some valuable experience as a secondary coordinator. Knowing this, I can only hope that he sees the potential in two future start players in our secondary, that at the moment aren't listed as starters. Townsend and Clark are pretty solid players, no doubt about it. But McFadden has PROVEN it is his time, and I believe the same goes for Smith. Both are not only instinctive players, but they can jar a ball loose on a ferocious hit better than 80% of DBs out there. Granted, its not all about hard hits, but when you add that kind of power in the backfield, ON TOP of the hard-hitting linebackers, something tells me the message sent to the opposing team is exactly what the burgh is looking for!

Thankfully its still ealry, and these roster spots are far from solid, we've still got all of preseason and the tail end of training camp to go, so my boys still have the time to prove themselves. Just shocked me to go over to the offfical site and see that Clark and Townsend are still calling themselves the starters. May the right decision be made by week 1!!!

Crushzilla
08-03-2007, 04:33 PM
You're right about how "un-solid" these roster spots are right now.

I don't think you should worry. It won't be long until both of those guys are starting.

Preacher
08-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Two things.

1. I have found that www.steelers.com is usually quite far behind in everything they do.

2. Your right, it isn't all about hitting. I too think that Clark and Townsend are better as 2nd stringers. But I guess Tomlin sees different. It may be the fact that they pick up on the other responsibilities that aren't seen better then McFadden and Smith.

OneForTheToe
08-03-2007, 05:29 PM
I think in the case of Anthony Smith it's just a matter of making sure that he can cover the expanded resposibility of playing next to Troy. I think Smith has a great future, and no doubt is a bigger hitter than Ryan Clark now , but those big its won't mean much if we are giving up td passes. Smith will eventually be the starter, But there is no reason to put him in there until he is ready because Clark can do the job.

As for Townsend, I do think McFadden was better by then end of last year. However, I guess Townsend is just a tough guy to get out of the starting line-up.

FourThreeMafia
08-03-2007, 05:39 PM
I agree that BMac should get the nod over Townsy, but Ryan Clark is still the starter, and Smith is going to have to take the job from Clark. I laugh when people say Clark didnt play well. Those people obviously have no clue what they are talking about. Clark played very well for his first year in a new system. Smith played well too, so both are solid options. Like I said though, Smith is going to have to step up and take the job.

jjpro11
08-03-2007, 06:10 PM
my guess that those guys will rotate starting the first couple preseason games if you guys are talking about starters for this sunday.

19ward86
08-03-2007, 06:54 PM
anthony smith has a problem with staying in coverage, a lot of big plays happened because there would be a WR wide open where he was supposed to be. basically i think he is too aggressive at this stage, which is good for a young guy but he isnt ready to start, i think he could be a not as good troy polamalu in a couple of seasons.

lilyoder6
08-03-2007, 07:37 PM
i think that townsend is just getting too old... and i think that who ever between clark and smith the loser out of them will still see a lot of playing time in the def packages that we have.. same with carter.

Welcome To Smashmouth
08-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Yeah, at this point theres no for sure starter in each of the two positions (FS and CB) and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Clark is a bad player. Last year finishing with 70 tackles an INT and 3 FR is pretty solid. But then again, if you've got a Sean Taylor-in-the-making behind him in Smith, we've gotta turn him into the player hes going to become and get him on the field sooner rather than later. I feel somethin special in that kid.

And in terms of McFadden, its arguable that hes our best corner period. The way I look at our corner situation is that we've got three #2 corners. Townsend is going to be a solid nickel back for a couple more years, meaning we can only hope Ike picks it back up from falling a little last season. If anybody here wants to argue about McFadden's capabilities, I'd be glad to hear it...the kids going to be rock-solid

Galax Steeler
08-04-2007, 02:48 AM
I think smith will be played more as the season progresses.

GeneralRobinson
08-04-2007, 06:55 AM
Coverage discipline was an issue for Smith in the games that I watched. Cincinnati and Baltimore were able to complete some deep passes against us in the last two games and, from my perspective, it appeared that the reason was Smith was getting sucked up toward the line of scrimmage as opposed to staying "deeper than the deepest" like a FS should be. It's possible he might still be showing inconsistent discipline. Until he improves this and assuming Clark performs well, Smith will continue to be the backup FS.

Elvis
08-04-2007, 07:22 AM
my guess that those guys will rotate starting the first couple preseason games if you guys are talking about starters for this sunday.
I have to agree jj... I think that the preseason will see alot of different starters/backups in there. I for one think that by the start of the reg season.. that Smith will be our starting FS..
:helmet::tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-04-2007, 07:38 AM
I have a much bigger problem with Townsend starting than I do with Clark. Townsend always seemed to be Cohwers golden child and could do no wrong....but those of us who watched him this last year..and even during the superbowl run...could plainly see that we had to pad his side for coverage even after he took the 2nd WR, and he still followed too many recievers into the endzone. Teams with legitimate talent at the 2nd WR position torched us repeatedly. Taylor and McFadden are upgrades over Deshea.
Clark is a very good safety, and I only give Smith the nod over him based on his sheer intimidation factor. I would love to get back to the Donnie Shell days of making recievers "pay" for daring to catch the ball. I know TJ still wakes up screaming in the middle of the night thinking about the shot that Smith put on him. Tell me that he isnt going to think about that EVERY TIME he goes out for a pass in Smiths area!!!!!

Welcome To Smashmouth
08-04-2007, 10:11 PM
On the up-side, both these positions are still up for grabs. Thats why I scratch my head at any so-called "steeler fan" having no excitement whatsoever for the preseason. In my eyes, the talent is on the bench in this instance, and that talent now knows that it has to shine if it wants to be center-stage every sunday. Its not just the "i think its about time for so and so to take the field," its more of "i've seen the passion in the way mcfadden/smith play, and i believe their lack of ___ is a) made up for with their potential, and b) accredited to the fact that they are both young, and neither have been given the chance to take over as the starter for a whole year!!" i know their day will come eventually, but with both these young guys, its past their "its too early to push them onto the field" stage....let the men shine already!! psh, raise your hand if you thought week 2 of his rookie year was too early for ben!!

revefsreleets
08-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Just a couple things to point out: I think Colclough could end up being the "Ike" of 2005, and for those who forget, Troy had some coverage problems in year one as well. I expect the game to slow way down for Smith and him to be an impact player this year.

jjpro11
08-05-2007, 11:49 PM
just be glad we have two free safeties capable of starting for about any team in the league.

Preacher
08-06-2007, 12:00 AM
hey...

You can never have too many DB's that know how to play the game.

steelpride12
08-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Yes Smith is a pretty solid safety, but he still has not proven himself against starting recievers/TE and also i think this will be Mcfadden's year, and i hope he can keep up with big name recievers this season.

The Duke
08-06-2007, 12:37 AM
McFadden has to start, He proved it last season. As much as I love Smith's style he still has to prove himself, and now is the time, in preseason. I'm going to root for him all the way, but if he doesn't get it I know Tomlin did it for the team, and someday soon we'll see him starting