PDA

View Full Version : Both Coordinators On Sidelines Not Upstairs

Atlanta Dan
08-04-2007, 08:18 AM
This is an interesting nugget from a story on Tomlin's coaching debut tomorrow night - I thought the purpose to being upstairs was for the O-coordinator to see the field.

Tomlin ready for his much-anticipated debut

Unlike most NFL coaches, he will have his two coordinators on the sideline with him.

Traditionally, one or both coordinators are in the press box, usually the offensive coordinator with the Steelers. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau has been on the sideline, and new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians will join him there.

"You can't cook from the living room," Tomlin said. "I coordinated from the field. I coached secondary in Tampa from the field. I think there's value to being able to look a man in the face and being able to communicate."

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07216/806894-66.stm

Stlrs4Life
08-04-2007, 08:39 AM
I was thinking the same. I think at least your DC should be upstairs.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-04-2007, 08:45 AM
This is an interesting nugget from a story on Tomlin's coaching debut tomorrow night - I thought the purpose to being upstairs was for the O-coordinator to see the field.

Tomlin ready for his much-anticipated debut

Unlike most NFL coaches, he will have his two coordinators on the sideline with him.

Traditionally, one or both coordinators are in the press box, usually the offensive coordinator with the Steelers. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau has been on the sideline, and new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians will join him there.

"You can't cook from the living room," Tomlin said. "I coordinated from the field. I coached secondary in Tampa from the field. I think there's value to being able to look a man in the face and being able to communicate."

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07216/806894-66.stm

You know..I have followed football for years and I guess that I have just grown complacent about how teams do things....But I love that last remark and the fact that both coordinators will be able to drop to one knee and talk with the players.
I have no doubt that we will still have someone in the booth and be able to get full benefit from that percpective. Glad to see Tomlin thinking outside the box.

Atlanta Dan
08-04-2007, 09:18 AM
I was thinking the same. I think at least your DC should be upstairs.

Apparently LeBeau has always been onthe sidelines - I never saw Bud Carson in sideline shots of highlights from the 70s glory days, so i guess he was upstairs

I know Whiz was in the booth.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-04-2007, 09:52 AM
I really dont mind the coaches being out on the feild as long as they have other assistant coaches or scouts in the booth to relay information.

Galax Steeler
08-05-2007, 06:37 AM
I don't think it will be much of a problem I agree with lost tooth there will be someone upstairs.

SteelCityMan786
08-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Might be a good idea, might help calm some nerves making his debut.

alittlejazzbird
08-05-2007, 12:56 PM
No harm in trying it out in the preseason when nothing counts. It's a good way to see whether it will work, with no pressure.

Godfather
08-05-2007, 04:54 PM
They have enough video monitors to get multiple angles. Being on the field or in the booth doesn't matter that much.