PDA

View Full Version : I've said it before... Who I DON'T want on this team...

Crushzilla
08-04-2007, 10:38 AM
I've mentioned in other threads and much more vocally in my group of fellow fans.

I think that Tyrone Carter's personality is a TERRIBLE fit for this team.

I have been generally unimpressed by his play when considering the type of personality this guy has.

Let me state a few reasons:

1.) First of all, I just feel like he is a show boat. The problem is you really can't stick your chest out when you're playing second fiddle to the best SS in football. He hits the field, makes a tackle and struts around like a moron. Steelers football isn't about showing off, but we have a few of those guys on this team, unfortunately, and its unavoidable in today's NFL. I can live with it. I'll let that slide.

2.) His personality in training camp this year has been childish. I realize the guys have been going at it here and there this year and the intensity CAN BE good for fueling that testosterone, but Carter has been involved in two altercations that made headlines, i believe, both this week.

Here's some excerpts:

Running back Willie Parker was the star of the one-on-one drill pitting blitzing secondary players against running backs, prompting Tomlin to hint that Parker might be used more in third-down situations.

Parker stood up charging safety Tyrone Carter with a big hit, exciting the crowd alongside the hillside. When Carter shoved Parker after the exchange, Parker angrily gave Carter a two-handed shove to the chest.

"I wasn't taking none of that," Parker said.

Really? This is just laughable. You're going to get in a shove fest with our francise RB, because he put your ass on the ground? Sounds like someone is trying to over compensate by acting like Tommy Tough Nuts. The only thing he accomplished in this is looking like an ass, twice. 99.8% Of the people in that crowd are going to take Parker over you any day, chump.

Of course, we all know this one

Hines Ward didn't appreciate it when safety Tyrone Carter went after receiver Nate Washington for throwing the ball in his face.

I'm not too sure what actually happened in the Carter/Washington altercation (You all know that Nate is another guy I would LOOOOOVE to see off this team), but the guy has NO self control.

This is camp. If Tomlin feels Nate is out of line, he'll deal with it. Don't throw yourself into the fire, too, hotshot.

His stats just don't drive me wild enough to keep a guy like him around. Yes, Peezy was a jerk, too, but I won't bother comparing stats or the fact that he was our defensive leader and enforcer. We don't need Carter as an enforcer, let Anthony Smith do it (he's going to beat you out anyway.) He's the future, you're just a mercenary. You can't be enforcer from the bench, tiger.

3.) He's a straight up dirty player. I recall a more than a few times last year that Carter received some of the DUMBEST personal foul calls, a few at really bad times and a lot of the time prompting boos from the crowd. I can't remember the game, but I'm pretty sure he had one of third and long. If he would have kept his head on the O would have got the ball back. This isn't a new trend, my friends.

From his days in Minnesota:
NFL fines Vikings' Carter

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- The NFL has fined Minnesota Vikings cornerback Tyrone Carter $5,000 for unnecessary roughness.

A league spokesman said Friday that Carter was fined for dragging Tampa Bay running back Aaron Stecker out of bounds and then tackling him in the second quarter of the Vikings' loss Sunday to the Buccaneers.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/news/2002/11/08/roundup/

4.) Though it has little relevance football-wise, this is the main reason I don't like Tyrone Carter's personality.

Tyrone's brother, Tank Carter, was arrested in February. Tank Carter was scheduled to start serving a prison sentence in late January, but instead attended the Super Bowl XL with tickets his brother gave him. The original sentence was scheduled to be 6 months, after failing to show up, his sentence was extended to 5 years. It was reported that when interviewed about this incident that if he could make that decision again, he would have gone to the Super Bowl again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrone_Carter

"Tickets his brother gave him." Maybe I shouldn't jump the gun. Maybe Carter didn't know that his brother's hearing was the same day because his bro never said anything, but how could he be the ENABLER in this. If Carter DID know, he should have yanked those tickets off of him and said "Get your ass in court." If he isn't willing to slap his OWN BROTHER around to straighten him out, why the hell would he ever look out for any of his teammates.

I'm telling you. This guy is straight poison. To be honest he can take his 40 some odd tackles and no INTS, last year and hit the road.

CUT CARTER NOW.

(and Nate Washington... :sofunny:)

This public service announcement is brought to you by Crushzilla and PetCo, "Where the pets go!"

paw-n-maul-u
08-04-2007, 11:23 AM
we should have a special sub-forum called "For people who like to hear themselves talk".

Obv. no one can take you seriously when you think it's a great idea to cut our #3 WR (who some believe has the potential to eventually be a starting WR) ... and one of our top backup safties (We didn't miss a beat last year when troy was having his nagging injuries and Carter was out there).

BUMP.

Stlrs4Life
08-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Some very valid points there Crush. I can agree on Carter, but don't think you are giving Washington enough time yet.

fansince'76
08-04-2007, 11:26 AM
OK guys, please keep it cool. Thanks.

Jman
08-04-2007, 11:30 AM
I actually think Mike Logan has the showboat issue when making a tackle...But yea... Thank goodness Smith and Polamalu should be up front this year...

ChronoCross
08-04-2007, 11:31 AM
You had good points on carter, but then at the end when you said cut washington, well you just lost my interest in this thread. Washington is a hard worker who thrives to work harder to improve himself every year. Has great work ethics, and is a team player. And does not cry and goes out and does what is told of him.

Jman
08-04-2007, 11:37 AM
You had good points on carter, but then at the end when you said cut washington, well you just lost my interest in this thread. Washington is a hard worker who thrives to work harder to improve himself every year. Has great work ethics, and is a team player. And does not cry and goes out and does what is told of him.

I like Washington as well. Given his deflection in the Broncos playoff game, he's alright in my book. :)

Crushzilla
08-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Haha. you guys have me all wrong on Washington.

A few months back he kept calling my gf, because they met at a bar or something last year.

I began joking that we have to get him out of Pittsburgh because I was positive that I couldn't contend with a Steeler.

No real defense for Carter? Guess he's not so valuable, then.

83-Steelers-43
08-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Eh, tempers flair up in camp. It's hot, the guys have been working hard, players are fighting for jobs... it's happens. I'm not going to hold it against Carter. IMO, I felt Carter was pretty solid last season.

As for Washington, I've already stated my lack of confidence in Washington, but I'm willing to give the guy another season to see what he can do. IMO, it's a make or break year for him. It's time to step up.

Crushzilla
08-04-2007, 11:59 AM
we should have a special sub-forum called "For people who like to hear themselves talk".

Obv. no one can take you seriously when you think it's a great idea to cut our #3 WR (who some believe has the potential to eventually be a starting WR) ... and one of our top backup safties (We didn't miss a beat last year when troy was having his nagging injuries and Carter was out there).

BUMP.

There's nothing wrong listening to yourself talk, when the words that come out of your mouth are about 20 times more valuable than most people who get paid to do these things.

Take it easy, tiger, just because Carter's a Steeler that doesn't mean we have to :nw:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Ok say what you want about Tyrone Carter.....But he is the 4th safety on this team.....Thats solid depth in my mind and Carter can contribute on special teams......Don't understand the constant bashing on Nate Washington....Yea he is inconsistent and needs to learn to hang onto the ball better especially after contact....But he came from Tiffin University....lol Plus is only 24 years old.......The fact he made the NFL coming from Tiffin speaks volumes that he does have some talent....Players from Tiffin don't make the NFL period......I think he could be a solid WR in the NFL....He averaged almost 18 yards a catch last year and had 4 TDs.......

I'll take Washington over Wilson anyday......Yea Willie Reid is having a great camp but he is a unknown really in NFL game action........I like his potential but Washington at least has proven he can produce in NFL games......I like some of the other WRs in camp like Dallas Baker but he seems to be practice squad material for this year.......So it would be really stupid for the Steelers to cut Nate Washington...

Crushzilla
08-04-2007, 12:09 PM
I'll go into the truth a little more about Nate.

I like Nate Washington. I kid about him being cut. If he WERE cut, I wouldn't really be upset.

Let's be serious. The guys a dropper and if we had any kind of depth at WR he'd be on the practice squad. I've always been partial to guys from Tiffin because my cousin played guard there almost a decade ago and I used to go to games.

If Nate Washington were taller (I was surprised he is only 6'1, he LOOKS taller) then I think he'd have more value.

I liked him a lot early on and had high hopes for him. Those hopes haven't diminished too much, though I wasn't too happy about the phone calls, and this year is make or break in my eyes, in most's eyes, and most importantly in the coach's eyes.

I'm going to continue insisting he be cut, I thought more of you knew about the joke. Where is Nigel? He would have got it :dang:.

I will admit. Carter can hit and its nice having depth at safety, but I thought character was something we all take pride in. Is it not?

This guy's REEKS.

slippy
08-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Before you cut Tyrone Carter, watch Super Bowl XL again. When he was on the field, which seemed to be more than half the time, he was flying to the ball and it certainly appeared that he had the game of his life!

And right behind him was underrated Deshea, having a great game too.

ChronoCross
08-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Actually Black & Gold, I think people rush to push players out before they get time to develop. Usually you give players 3 to 4 years to see how well they learn and mature into a NFL Player. Washington has improved each year. Now if it was one of our LBers you would not here them pushing so hard to get that player out as much. Because everyone knows it takes time, and they know how Steelers develop there starters over time in the LBer core. But let it be another position. Even I am guilty of not giving a young player a chance because he has not perform to what we want and it is his 1st are 2nd year.

If a player makes the team his first year. The coaching staff sees there is talent to be a future starter. Some players are impact off the bat, some players it takes a little longer to bring out that talent and to mature them into a big time starter later down the line.

I agree with ya on Carter, even tho crush made some good points. Gold your right he is young and with age could mature to not make them mental mistakes because of attitude. He is depth and plays well on special teams. With the new coaching we could see a different tyrone this season.

ChronoCross
08-04-2007, 12:29 PM
I'll go into the truth a little more about Nate.

I like Nate Washington. I kid about him being cut. If he WERE cut, I wouldn't really be upset.

Let's be serious. The guys a dropper and if we had any kind of depth at WR he'd be on the practice squad. I've always been partial to guys from Tiffin because my cousin played guard there almost a decade ago and I used to go to games.

If Nate Washington were taller (I was surprised he is only 6'1, he LOOKS taller) then I think he'd have more value.

I liked him a lot early on and had high hopes for him. Those hopes haven't diminished too much, though I wasn't too happy about the phone calls, and this year is make or break in my eyes, in most's eyes, and most importantly in the coach's eyes.

I'm going to continue insisting he be cut, I thought more of you knew about the joke. Where is Nigel? He would have got it :dang:.

I will admit. Carter can hit and its nice having depth at safety, but I thought character was something we all take pride in. Is it not?

This guy's REEKS.

Before you talk about a dropper in Nate, you better look at the rest of the WR core. Everyone else dropped balls, fumbled balls this last season. It was a all around effect on the team. Nate made catches that others would not of made, his only problem has been a simple easy catch in the bread basket at times and he is working to correct that and if he does, we have a solid, and could be a great WR for us. So its good to give him another year to show how much he has worked this off season to improve himself to help the team.

Crushzilla
08-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Washington has improved each year.

I could see how going from 0 receptions to 35 could be considered an improvement from year to year.

Just joshin' ya, Chrono. That's for saying my Washington comment ruined my credibility. :wink02:

I'm serious, though. I hope he does develop, but I haven't seen the intangibles that somebody like Holmes showed in the second half of the season.

Tiffin is a smaller program and, yes, his learning curve is probably going to show that IF he is going to turn into a solid WR in the NFL its going to take more time.

This isn't about Nate Washington, though.

This is about Tyrone Carter's ATTITUDE problem. A lot of us seem to agree.

A poor attitude trumps good performance. Look at Owens. A lot of teams who are serious about winning football games would pass on T.O.

I realize that's a WHOLE different ballgame, but it is a lateral point.

T.O. huge attitude problem, big performer
T.C. significant attitude problem, solid performer

We have no idea what kind of effect this kind of thing could have on our team.

Veterans influence rookies, A LOT.

Here is a query? Maybe Anthony Smith's current mean streak, which has some of us a little concerned, including me, could be he's learning from the wrong guys...

I don't think I need to name any names, but Troy isn't the kind of guy who is going to sit Smith down and teach him about behavior. Its isn't Troy's personality, it isn't Troy's job.

Who does that leave? Maybe a certain loud mouth in our Safety rotation? Just something to consider? :hunch:

g mack
08-04-2007, 12:55 PM
To original post: MADD will be relieved, as we assume you posted this from home. Glad you could get that off your chest and that we could all participate in this public service. Is there someone near that you can give your keys to?

rog
08-04-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but I want to see the guys on D with a "mean streak" . I don't want good guys on D. Some of the best D players in the history of the NFL had played with a "mean streak" Butkus, Lambert, Decon Jones,for god sakes MEAN JOE GREEN. And just because there might be some extra pushing and shoving or even some fist thrown at practice is not a bad thing. Fights happen this is not new to NFL teams hell last week Vince Young was throwing punches with his throwing hand. As long as there isn't another Bill Romonawski incedent where one teamate puts another in the hospital I don't think is all bad. Besides if their hitting this hard against each other what are they going to do to another team.

Smashmouth225
08-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Cedric the entertainer does not fit the tough guy Steelers mold. He is a crybaby. We won't miss a beat if he is cut.

rog
08-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Cedric the entertainer does not fit the tough guy Steelers mold. He is a crybaby. We won't miss a beat if he is cut.

Your def. right about that one.

jjpro11
08-04-2007, 01:55 PM
we need a bit of a nutty character on defense.. porter is gone. everyone else on d seems rather quiet. as long as there are no stupid penalties.. i dont mind the jumping around as much. i dont know how i could hold myself back if i played in the nfl. i'd be jumping around all over if i made a big hit in front of 65000 people live and 15 million others watching on tv.

Livinginthe past
08-04-2007, 02:15 PM
I think a little constructive critcism is fine - we all have players we rate and other we don't.

Its amusing that someone who has the (seemingly rare) ability to post more than a single sentence post gets called out for 'liking to hear themselves talk'.

Im pretty sure the forum is designed to let you air your views (even if you can only manage one sentence posts)

Some fans (of all teams) find it real difficult to criticise anything to do with their favorite team - they seem to think it is somehow disloyal to say you think one of the team is an a-hole or just flat out sucks.

It seems we had to wait until Joey P. became an ex-Steeler before people could admit he acts like a big mouth moron most of the time.

Who knows what Tomlin makes of the character of some of these guys - maybe he likes guys with a huge slice of nasty in 'em.

Unfortunately - 'nasty' isn't something that can be easily switched on and off.

ps. Crush - you may have to start doing what TH does - include a smiley or *note to indicate when you aren't being totally serious - some people just can't spot it.

touchdownward
08-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Well dammit, one of these WRs have to get cut or I owe LITP 5 bucks for saying Dallas Baker would be on the opening day roster!!!!!:wink02:

I haven't posted much in the off-season, but haven't forgotten our bet. :smile:

Livinginthe past
08-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Well dammit, one of these WRs have to get cut or I owe LITP 5 bucks for saying Dallas Baker would be on the opening day roster!!!!!:wink02:

I haven't posted much in the off-season, but haven't forgotten our bet. :smile:

LOL.

Oh no you don't!!

The deal was Dallas has to be on the field for the opening snap!

Thats a pretty brave prediction for a 7th round pick.

Tell you what; i'll bet you $5 that he isn't on the field for the 1st offensive snap of the year - loser donates the $5 to the site.

Hows that sound?

He's no Colston, but I don't think he's far off.

You got a deal, man from another land.

Trying to pull a fast one on ol' LITP? :wink02:

nicesteel4life
08-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Was thinking Crush, you might save yourself a bunch of aggravation & hatefullness toward Nate by just keeping a shorter leash on your girlfriend. I mean if he called her, he didn't pull the number out the air. Dont be a player hater......lol

Crushzilla
08-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Was thinking Crush, you might save yourself a bunch of aggravation & hatefullness toward Nate by just keeping a shorter leash on your girlfriend. I mean if he called her, he didn't pull the number out the air. Dont be a player hater......lol

Haha. I really don't have any hard feelings toward Nate. I've never talked to him personally, though I've been around when he calls.

I do have to say, though, it made me nervous, because she is CONVINCED that he just wants to hang out be friends, but maybe I'm just a little too cynical and don't trust pro athletes given everything I've heard about their sexcapades in the past. My sister-in-law is the head bartender at a reputable bar near Saint Vincent and I gotta be honest. I've heard some things about our boys that have made me very, very disappointed.

She has said that Nate is a really, really, nice guy.

I'm probably just insecure with myself :wink02:

:lost:

:alcoholic

ChronoCross
08-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Haha. I really don't have any hard feelings toward Nate. I've never talked to him personally, though I've been around when he calls.

I do have to say, though, it made me nervous, because she is CONVINCED that he just wants to hang out be friends, but maybe I'm just a little too cynical and don't trust pro athletes given everything I've heard about their sexcapades in the past. My sister-in-law is the head bartender at a reputable bar near Saint Vincent and I gotta be honest. I've heard some things about our boys that have made me very, very disappointed.

She has said that Nate is a really, really, nice guy.

I'm probably just insecure with myself :wink02:

:lost:

:alcoholic

First its a phone call, then its a drink, a walk in a park, then dinner, then your leaving all the lights on at home, waiting for her to come home. And now your in a country bar listening to songs telling you what just happen.

Crushzilla
08-04-2007, 03:56 PM
First its a phone call, then its a drink, a walk in a park, then dinner, then your leaving all the lights on at home, waiting for her to come home. And now your in a country bar listening to songs telling you what just happen.

You know its amazing how those songs hit it on the head. Someone must be following me...

touchdownward
08-04-2007, 04:06 PM
LOL.

Oh no you don't!!

The deal was Dallas has to be on the field for the opening snap!

Trying to pull a fast one on ol' LITP? :wink02:
BLAST you British and your attention to details. :stickout:

I knew I held off contributing for some reason. :wink02:

ChronoCross
08-04-2007, 04:11 PM
You know its amazing how those songs hit it on the head. Someone must be following me...

If we knew for sure that Nate was going to make it big are not. I would say let her stay in contact and when he makes it big, you have her move in with him then have her hire you on as the pool boy. After about 6 months of having her putting his money in your account, you both up and leave. Hence revenge with a plus.

Crushzilla
08-04-2007, 04:14 PM
If we knew for sure that Nate was going to make it big are not. I would say let her stay in contact and when he makes it big, you have her move in with him then have her hire you on as the pool boy. After about 6 months of having her putting his money in your account, you both up and leave. Hence revenge with a plus.

Dude...

That's the greatest thing I've ever heard anyone ever say about anything ever.

It may be.... crazy enough... to....

HONEY!

:sofunny:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-04-2007, 04:14 PM

Sounds like you might have done this before. :wink02:

ChronoCross
08-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Sounds like you might have done this before. :wink02:

In this day and age you always try to figure out how to make a buck.. and it was just a quick thought.. But it does sound good tho.. I like the plan.. Its just a modified way of pimpen..

Preacher
08-05-2007, 12:45 AM
Its amusing that someone who has the (seemingly rare) ability to post more than a single sentence post gets called out for 'liking to hear themselves talk'.

What?

MasterOfPuppets
08-05-2007, 01:54 AM
:busted::busted::busted ummmmm yeah.....i like to call women ....ummm for fashion tips and such...:toofunny:

Galax Steeler
08-05-2007, 06:46 AM
Over 80% of nates catches last year were for first downs.I don't see how you could cut nate if i was going to cut someone it would be wilson.

Steelerfan93
08-05-2007, 06:56 AM
HEy like ANthony Smith Said it's Football It's Football your Suppose to Hit, I mean Their is a point where you got to Think when your hitting Teammates But shit Its Football Let them Play and Carter is not bad he is a Good player and damn this Dude must be a new Fan Ar you forgot about the teams of the 70's go back and watch our Boys from the 70's I mean Dude we had the Rules changed because of our Defense in the 70's

Steeldude
08-05-2007, 07:38 AM
1.) First of all, I just feel like he is a show boat. The problem is you really can't stick your chest out when you're playing second fiddle to the best SS in football. He hits the field, makes a tackle and struts around like a moron. Steelers football isn't about showing off, but we have a few of those guys on this team, unfortunately, and its unavoidable in today's NFL. I can live with it. I'll let that slide.[/I]

sounds exactly like anthony smith.

Crushzilla
08-05-2007, 12:12 PM
HEy like ANthony Smith Said it's Football It's Football your Suppose to Hit, I mean Their is a point where you got to Think when your hitting Teammates But shit Its Football Let them Play and Carter is not bad he is a Good player and damn this Dude must be a new Fan Ar you forgot about the teams of the 70's go back and watch our Boys from the 70's I mean Dude we had the Rules changed because of our Defense in the 70's

I doubt that Jack Lambert got into shoving matches with Franco Harris because he was embarrassed about being put on his ass in front of a crowd. (I don't think the scenario is possible).

They can hit each other in camp. I agree. Its the "extracurricular activities" that happen after the play that are stupid.

Why would I slam a guy for making sound hits?

I am being taken out of context here.

Please go back through my posts and show me where I said that I'm against the big hits?

Its the hits after the play, that often result in a penalty, the fights after the play, the showing off after a tackle, the personality off the field....

Crushzilla
08-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Over 80% of nates catches last year were for first downs.I don't see how you could cut nate if i was going to cut someone it would be wilson.

I'm not explaining this again...

Crushzilla
08-05-2007, 12:16 PM
sounds exactly like anthony smith.

I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if Carter is rubbing off on Anthony Smith. Rookies watch Veterans and learn from them. Troy Polamalu isn't the kind of guy to smack Anthony around and tell him how to act. It isn't his personality, nor his responsibility.

I have high hopes for Smith, but I'm hoping that this mercenary isn't teaching him all the wrongs things.

Livinginthe past
08-05-2007, 01:00 PM
What?

Very funny. :wink02:

zoneblitz43
08-05-2007, 02:25 PM
I like Tyrone Carter, yeah he may have an attitude but at least he isn't out getting himself arrested, and I think a bit of attitude is what this defense needs. he is not a starter but he is a good backup, special teams player, and nickel/dime back. I'd keep him for sure. he's one of those players like Chidi, Kreiwaldt, etc. who aren't starting caliber talent but strengthen our special teams and provide depth.

Crushzilla
08-05-2007, 02:30 PM
I like Tyrone Carter, yeah he may have an attitude but at least he isn't out getting himself arrested

You're certainly right about that. :thumbsup:

and I think a bit of attitude is what this defense needs. he is not a starter but he is a good backup, special teams player, and nickel/dime back. I'd keep him for sure. he's one of those players like Chidi, Kreiwaldt, etc. who aren't starting caliber talent but strengthen our special teams and provide depth.

He can hit. I'll give him that. I hope it all works out in the end. Keep an eye on him tonight. We'll see if he commits a faux pas that strengthens my belief.

I'm the kind of person who will certainly admit when they are wrong. Let's hope I'm eating my words by week 6.

Elvis
08-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Before last season when Troy got hurt I would have agreed about Carter. And I think that he talks too much trash , as most NFL players do.... But the young man played very well after Troy got hurt last year and I hope that the Steelers keep him around...
:helmet::tt02:

83-Steelers-43
08-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Speaking of Carter....

Steelers' Carter expands role as DB
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 6, 2007

Tyrone Carter has been a reliable reserve for the Steelers since 2004, and this season he won't just give the team insurance at strong safety. Carter, who started three games in 2006 in place of the injured Troy Polamalu, has been working at both safety positions during training camp as well as at cornerback.

"You have to have interchangeable parts," defensive backs coach Ray Horton said.

That is something the Steelers have preached since Mike Tomlin took over as head coach. Carter is a logical choice to make a jack-of-all-trades defensive back because the eight-year veteran doesn't figure to get overloaded by learning multiple positions during camp.

"We have the time now to give (players) a couple of different positions," Horton said, "so if something happens in Week 9 or Week 10 it's not like 'Oh shoot, what are we going to do?' "

• Clark Haggans started at right outside linebacker last night in the Hall of Fame Game, replacing James Harrison. Haggans moved from left to right outside linebacker because of injuries to Harrison (ribs) and his backup, first-round pick Lawrence Timmons (groin). With Haggans on the right side, rookie LaMarr Woodley started at left outside linebacker against the New Orleans Saints.

• In addition to Harrison and Timmons, running back Willie Parker (knee) and linebacker Clint Kriewaldt (shoulder) did not play in the Steelers' first exhibition game of the season. Center Sean Mahan did not make the trip to Canton because of a family emergency. Mahan, who is battling Chukky Okobi for a starting job, had been excused from practice Friday.

• Count NFL Network analyst Cris Collinsworth among those who think Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will bounce back after throwing the most interceptions (23) in the NFL last season.

"Ben Roethlisberger is physically very gifted, and if a guy ever had an excuse line for a (down) season, he's the guy," said Collinsworth, who did color commentary for last night's Hall of Fame game.

Collinsworth predicted the Steelers would win nine games this season, but he sounded like it wouldn't surprise him if they made a run at the Super Bowl.

"Don't forget the Steelers finished the season 6-2, knocking the Bengals out of the playoffs with an OT win in Cincinnati," Collinsworth said. "I have learned to never underestimate the Steelers."

• Jeff Reed missed a 42-yard field goal less than a week after he made one that ended a Steelers practice 20 minutes early. Of course, the biggest difference between the attempt he made last Tuesday and the one he missed yesterday is that Reed faced a rush.

• Tomlin has yet to pick captains for this season, but wide receiver Hines Ward (offense), linebacker James Farrior (defense) and cornerback Chidi Iwuoma (special teams) represented the Steelers at midfield for the pregame coin toss.

• The players have their first day off today since training camp started. The Steelers resume practice Tuesday afternoon at St. Vincent College.

Digits

80 - Yards in Dick Hoak's pass to Gary Ballman in 1964 Hall of Fame Game. That is still a record for longest pass and longest reception in the HOF game.

1 - 100-yard games wide receiver Cedrick Wilson has had in two seasons with the Steelers.

99 - Receiving yards Wilson had in the Hall of Fame Game despite playing in roughly a quarter of it.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_520822.html

SteelerFanInCA
08-06-2007, 10:48 AM
" Collinsworth said. "I have learned to never underestimate the Steelers."

Glad to see Collinsworth is starting to see the light.

MACH1
08-06-2007, 12:27 PM

Still wanting to keep Nate "Hands of Stone" Washington after that stellar performance he displayed against the Saints?

ChronoCross
08-06-2007, 02:41 PM
I am a Washington supporter, but if he keeps that up threw pre season after giving a big report on how he is working to improve. Well I did not see no improvement so far. You can only defend a player so long, and I cannot defend him right now. Still a lot of pre season left tho.

I am looking for Young, Reid, to push for Washingtons spot if he cannot ,, well ,, catch the ball constant.

atlsteelers
08-06-2007, 03:01 PM
i like carter; he always steps in when he is needed. as far a his attitude problem i just do not see it. the guy is a baller.

lilyoder6
08-06-2007, 04:18 PM
cater is good when he goes into the position.. and the thing about his brother.. that shouldn't be held against him.

steelpride12
08-06-2007, 04:36 PM
i may agree on the Carter story, but cutting Washington no way.

FOOTEupyourarse
08-06-2007, 04:53 PM
i think washington is and will show his is worthy of being our #3 wr. i believe we would take a big hit on the salary cap if we cut CED. it looks like its a toss up for the #5 wr. baker, reid, young?????????

Stlrs4Life
08-06-2007, 08:39 PM
I am a Washington supporter, but if he keeps that up threw pre season after giving a big report on how he is working to improve. Well I did not see no improvement so far. You can only defend a player so long, and I cannot defend him right now. Still a lot of pre season left tho.

I am looking for Young, Reid, to push for Washingtons spot if he cannot ,, well ,, catch the ball constant.

Amen to that. I was a big Wshington supporter also.

Crushzilla
11-27-2007, 01:13 AM
I'm bumping this thread because, as mentioned in previous posts, I'm willing to give a guy his credit when that credit is due.

Carter, though he's still a show-boater :wink02:, played VERY solid tonight.

The Smith thing still worries me, though. Smith can hit, but even as seen tonight, which I don't feel was a cheap hit on Chatman, he still needs to EEEASE up a little.

"But, Crush, this is FOOTBALL, guys hit. You don't want a guy who's motor is always running 100%?!?"

I didn't say that. I'm saying I don't want a bull in a China Shop at FS...

That's a totally different story, though. Great work by Carter subbing for Troy tonight :thumbsup:

This is also to show some who are beginning to doubt the freedom of this forum that you CAN be critical of Steelers. It is a message board. No one is going to stop you and, really, it isn't always sunshine and lollipops, but you better be ready to defend yourself.... As seen here...

Sharkissle29
11-27-2007, 02:22 AM
I'm bumping this thread because, as mentioned in previous posts, I'm willing to give a guy his credit when that credit is due.

Carter, though he's still a show-boater :wink02:, played VERY solid tonight.

The Smith thing still worries me, though. Smith can hit, but even as seen tonight, which I don't feel was a cheap hit on Chatman, he still needs to EEEASE up a little.

"But, Crush, this is FOOTBALL, guys hit. You don't want a guy who's motor is always running 100%?!?"

I didn't say that. I'm saying I don't want a bull in a China Shop at FS...

That's a totally different story, though. Great work by Carter subbing for Troy tonight :thumbsup:

This is also to show some who are beginning to doubt the freedom of this forum that you CAN be critical of Steelers. It is a message board. No one is going to stop you and, really, it isn't always sunshine and lollipops, but you better be ready to defend yourself.... As seen here...

Agree completely, though i love his style of play. Someone who also stepped from our injuries was Reid. I really like what he has done when we call him up, i think the steelers should give this guy a shot at playing everyday at our WR position

Michael Keller
11-27-2007, 07:14 AM
I like Carter. He is an emotional player with alot of heart. I think we need more players like him. Believe me Jack Lambert was border line insane on the field. both the game day field abd the practice field.

Borski
11-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Agree completely, though i love his style of play. Someone who also stepped from our injuries was Reid. I really like what he has done when we call him up, i think the steelers should give this guy a shot at playing everyday at our WR position

I agree with that, I think if we give Reid a shot he will develop into a nice WR

SteelFist
11-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Haha. you guys have me all wrong on Washington.

A few months back he kept calling my gf, because they met at a bar or something last year.

I began joking that we have to get him out of Pittsburgh because I was positive that I couldn't contend with a Steeler.

No real defense for Carter? Guess he's not so valuable, then.

:screwy: You are out of your numskull. Carter had a great game last night. The guy makes tackles. He's obviously valuable enough to the coaching staff to keep him on board. He has played well in his time as a Steeler. Who cares about what he did in Minnesota he is in Pittsburgh now. What gives??

He has a lot of heart, and I like it. Its what this team needs. Leave him alone. Put your mind on someone who actually hurts this team (e.g. members of the O-line) instead of a backup Safety........Please :shake01:

83-Steelers-43
11-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Loved watching him celebrate after the Dolphins converted on a 1 and 10 while we had them pinned back. Heard a few fans grumble after that idiotic display. On that note, he's solid. Not doubting that. Just a time and a place for tooting your own horn.

Crushzilla
11-27-2007, 01:52 PM
:screwy: You are out of your numskull. Carter had a great game last night. The guy makes tackles. He's obviously valuable enough to the coaching staff to keep him on board. He has played well in his time as a Steeler. Who cares about what he did in Minnesota he is in Pittsburgh now. What gives??

He has a lot of heart, and I like it. Its what this team needs. Leave him alone. Put your mind on someone who actually hurts this team (e.g. members of the O-line) instead of a backup Safety........Please :shake01:

Deal. I'll start doing that if you start reading the dates on the posts, seeing as I made that comment before the pre-season even began :wink02:

Haiku_Dirtt
11-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Carter is a timebomb. A powder keg holding a match. An arson waiting for the Santa Ana winds to blow.

We don't pay Nate enough to cut him loose.

Rhee Rhee
11-28-2007, 02:24 AM
eh carter is gettin up there in age... i find that incredible nate washington called up ur GF.. my gosh i wish my gf knew a steeler