PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Palko fighting for #3 QB spot in NO

WWIIOwheelz
08-04-2007, 01:32 PM
We'll be seeing him on Sunday night, probably, and I'd love to see another Pittsburgh kid make the pros at the QB spot, but if he doesn't, what will likely happen with him? Things have changed a lot in the last 20 years or so.

My wife & I were taking about this, and I realized that I don't have a good understanding of what happens with undrafted players & those fighting for positions during training camp who get cut. Of the ones who get cut, of the available options for them, what is the best/worst of the following, given that they still want to play & not coach? Consider:

1) Practice squad for NFL team ---- this would be ideal, I assume. Willy Parker came from this position, I know.

2) NFL Europe---- who plays there? Are these "bubble" draft players year in/year out?

3) CFL---- This used to be the only option for players who didn't make the NFL grade. Are they just diluted now with the NFL Europe and AFL?

4) Arena League ---- who are these guys?

Anyone "in the know?" I'd be interested in learning about it

jjpro11
08-04-2007, 01:45 PM
well the nfl got rid of nfl europe.. so scratch that one off your list.

id say being on the practice squad is probably your best bet. you never know when a guy on the 53 man roster is going to get hurt. anyways the average salary in the cfl is $45000 canadian dollars. starters make up to $120k and qbs up to $300k. the average afl salary is $85k, some make up to $250k. the minimum salaries of both leagues are very low though. $28k for afl and $30-32k for cfl.

some of those cfl numbers may be a little off.. the article was from 2005.

SteelCityMan786
08-04-2007, 02:23 PM
We'll be seeing him on Sunday night, probably, and I'd love to see another Pittsburgh kid make the pros at the QB spot, but if he doesn't, what will likely happen with him? Things have changed a lot in the last 20 years or so.

My wife & I were taking about this, and I realized that I don't have a good understanding of what happens with undrafted players & those fighting for positions during training camp who get cut. Of the ones who get cut, of the available options for them, what is the best/worst of the following, given that they still want to play & not coach? Consider:

1) Practice squad for NFL team ---- this would be ideal, I assume. Willy Parker came from this position, I know.

2) NFL Europe---- who plays there? Are these "bubble" draft players year in/year out?

3) CFL---- This used to be the only option for players who didn't make the NFL grade. Are they just diluted now with the NFL Europe and AFL?

4) Arena League ---- who are these guys?

Anyone "in the know?" I'd be interested in learning about it

NFL Europe is now dead.

CantStop85
08-04-2007, 02:38 PM
If he's cut, he could be assigned to the practice squad of a team. If not, he'll be a free agent looking for a job. At this point, his best option would be to try another venue (the CFL, some arena league).

SteelCityMan786
08-04-2007, 02:41 PM
If he's cut, he could be assigned to the practice squad of a team. If not, he'll be a free agent looking for a job. At this point, his best option would be to try another venue (the CFL, some arena league).

That's where I'd go If I'm in his shoes if the NFL don't work.

Livinginthe past
08-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Maybe he should try out at NT?

Seems like his stats are better suited to that position.

SteelCityMan786
08-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Maybe he should try out at NT?

Seems like his stats are better suited to that position.

He's not built like one though.

THEBURNINGBUSH
08-04-2007, 04:53 PM
He will split time with Jason Fife in the second half. They say Palko has looked good in camp, although Fife the second year pro has a leg up on him being in the system already. Our camp reporters say Fife isnt that impressive and Palko has a shot to be the third stringer.

WWIIOwheelz
08-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Palko went to a high school near where I live, and his Dad still coaches there. I'd love to see him make the squad in NO in any capacity.

SteelCityMan786
08-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Palko went to a high school near where I live, and his Dad still coaches there. I'd love to see him make the squad in NO in any capacity.

His dad I think is still coach where he played high school ball.

lilyoder6
08-04-2007, 09:19 PM
if i was a player i would make sure i graduated with a degree so if nfl didn't work out at least i had something to fall back on..

SteelCityMan786
08-04-2007, 09:29 PM
if i was a player i would make sure i graduated with a degree so if nfl didn't work out at least i had something to fall back on..

If I were to actually become commissioner, I'd say you must have been out 4 years from graduating. I feel too many people leave school early so they can play in the pros.

CantStop85
08-04-2007, 09:47 PM
If I were to actually become commissioner, I'd say you must have been out 4 years from graduating. I feel too many people leave school early so they can play in the pros.

Eh, I feel that's their choice. If they want to take that risk, then go ahead. It's not like the NFL really requires a college education.

Besides, a lot of players who leave after their junior year have set up their classes so they can graduate early (i.e. Anthony Gonzalez).

WWIIOwheelz
08-04-2007, 09:57 PM
His dad I think is still coach where he played high school ball.

Yep... West Allegheny. When my kids played Little League, we played them. I'm in South Fayette

SteelCityMan786
08-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Eh, I feel that's their choice. If they want to take that risk, then go ahead. It's not like the NFL really requires a college education.

Besides, a lot of players who leave after their junior year have set up their classes so they can graduate early (i.e. Anthony Gonzalez).

(Or at least took summer classes)