PDA

View Full Version : I feel good about this year!

thebus36idf
08-05-2007, 02:13 PM
I heard from a not so reliable source that the steelers may switch to a 4-3. I'm sure this would be a bad move. We must concentrate on the offense. Do you think that the hiring of tomlin was a product of Mr. Rooney orchrestration of the policy to get more Black NFL coaches. I found it odd that we hired a defensive oriented Head coach I think Dick Lebeau is the best in the business. If we were going to hire a defensive oriented head coach why not give him the Job. I think our defense slipped A LITTLE LAST YEAR BECAUSE THEY WERE ON THE FIELD LONGER. To many interceptions. Anyone at training camp see how Big Ben is doing?

HometownGal
08-05-2007, 02:21 PM
I heard from a not so reliable source that the steelers may switch to a 4-3. I'm sure this would be a bad move. We must concentrate on the offense. Do you think that the hiring of tomlin was a product of Mr. Rooney orchrestration of the policy to get more Black NFL coaches. I found it odd that we hired a defensive oriented Head coach I think Dick Lebeau is the best in the business. If we were going to hire a defensive oriented head coach why not give him the Job. I think our defense slipped A LITTLE LAST YEAR BECAUSE THEY WERE ON THE FIELD LONGER. To many interceptions. Anyone at training camp see how Big Ben is doing?

I don't believe the Steelers are going to "switch to a 4-3" - from what I saw and the buzz I've heard around town, Lebeau is going to incorporate both the 3-4 and 4-3 schemes into the D to keep the opponents guessing. We have the players to accomplish this, I believe.

No - I don't believe for a minute that the Rooneys hired the Tomlinator because of his skin color. They hired the BEST man available for the job and as we know from past HC hirings, the Rooneys have indeed chosen the "BEST" guy available at the time.

I don't believe at this point in his career (and because of his age), Dick Lebeau wanted to be the HC of the Steelers or any other team for that matter. He obviously loves doing what he does best, so why fix what isn't broken?

From what I personally saw of Ben at camp, he looked very poised, confident and was connecting with his targets most of the time. Sure there was a bad throw now and then and some dropped passes, but all in all, Ben looked ready to lead this offense. :tt02::tt02:

19ward86
08-05-2007, 03:37 PM
we needed a young guy, i think lebeau is retiring soon unless some random team offers him like a $10mil a year, he will be retired like cowher.

Jman
08-12-2007, 01:55 PM
I hope to see 4-3 on first down which is probably when the run comes. It would be good to see a 3-4 and 4-3 combination attack from the D. IF...it is successful.

ChronoCross
08-12-2007, 02:43 PM

First If I were you, I would read up on the history of the Steelers Coaches and see how many defensive mind head coaches we have hired in the past. I will not give ya the history lesson if you do not know the type of head coaches we have hired in the past.

Second: Bringing up that the Rooney's might of hired in Tomlin because of race is well ... Kinda of a stupid comment.. Tomlin brought the best interview and resume to the table. And if you read anything about Tomlin you will learn how smart this guy is.

Third: They never offered the job to Lebeau because he never approached the Rooney's about the job and in another couple years as some said will retire.

And hearing that Tomlin from a source is going to switch us right away to 4-3. Well anyone would say that because Tomlin is a 4-3 guy. What you will see for are main defense will be 3-4, then 3-4 with tampa 2 worked in, then you will see sometimes a 4-3. But if you would read and keep up you will know that the steelers will be working different defenses this season to confuse the offenses. But are main defense will be 3-4.

stillers4me
08-12-2007, 04:12 PM
I feel good about Tomlin. This guy is ultra smart and if anybody can tweak the weaknesses and pull the very best out of a very talent group of football players, it's this guy. I don't know why I feel so strongly about him......I just do. It's a gut feeling and I always trust my gut, it's rarely failed me. Maybe I've drunk too much Mike Tomlin koolaid but I think he's exactly what this team needed to move forward into a new era and the Rooney's are masters at recognizing that. I think he's the key to pulling all the talent together.....both in the players and the coaching staff.

I also think that once the transition starts.....the rest of the league is really going to be shocked. We won't be flying under the radar for long. Yea....we'll have ups and downs........but I fully trust that Tomlin will be up for the challenge.

fansince'76
08-12-2007, 04:21 PM
I think my IQ dropped 10 points reading the original post. :dang:

FastWillieParker39
08-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Well I don't like to sound like a downer but Ben looked like the 06 Ben last night. I was expecting the offense to throw a lot more but they ran a lot with the first team.

Anyway, I feel optimistic to make the playoffs this year. Two things plagued us last year........Ben with injuries, and distractions, and Cowher really not caring or having as much passion as he used to have. Now Ben will be healthy, and Tomlin is young and committed to get the Steelers back to the playoffs! WOOOOO :tt02:

fansince'76
08-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Well I don't like to sound like a downer but Ben looked like the 06 Ben last night.

You're willing to stick to that assertion despite the fact he only threw 2 passes, completing both? He fumbled because Smith got beat. Relax.

ChronoCross
08-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Well I don't like to sound like a downer but Ben looked like the 06 Ben last night. I was expecting the offense to throw a lot more but they ran a lot with the first team.

Anyway, I feel optimistic to make the playoffs this year. Two things plagued us last year........Ben with injuries, and distractions, and Cowher really not caring or having as much passion as he used to have. Now Ben will be healthy, and Tomlin is young and committed to get the Steelers back to the playoffs! WOOOOO :tt02:

Ben has not looked like he did in 06. He went 2-2. What looked like 06 was Smith getting beat and Ben getting sacked because of that causing the fumble. What looked like 06 was Starks getting beat multiple times again causing more sacks.

Pre season you cannot think there just going to air it out to show everything. No this week you seen a more in depth look at the RBs. We have a big battle going on there to see who is going to be on this roster. Each pre season game Tomlin will be looking at certain areas. Its not about the win, its about properly evaluating the players to get the best 53 for start of season.

stillers4me
08-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Ben has not looked like he did in 06. He went 2-2. What looked like 06 was Smith getting beat and Ben getting sacked because of that causing the fumble. What looked like 06 was Starks getting beat multiple times again causing more sacks.

Pre season you cannot think there just going to air it out to show everything. No this week you seen a more in depth look at the RBs. We have a big battle going on there to see who is going to be on this roster. Each pre season game Tomlin will be looking at certain areas. Its not about the win, its about properly evaluating the players to get the best 53 for start of season.

Bingo! :thumbsup:

rbryan
08-12-2007, 07:10 PM
I have a good feeling about this year too, but I wouldn't worry much about the 3/4 4/3 debate. Its an over simplified way to catagorize any team . The Steelers will run variations of both all year long to mix things up, along with variations of just about every other defense ever imagined or yet to be invented by Lebeau.

vasteeler
08-13-2007, 12:12 PM
You're willing to stick to that assertion despite the fact he only threw 2 passes, completing both? He fumbled because Smith got beat. Relax.

:iagree:

steelpride12
08-13-2007, 02:57 PM
I don't believe the Steelers are going to "switch to a 4-3" - from what I saw and the buzz I've heard around town, Lebeau is going to incorporate both the 3-4 and 4-3 schemes into the D to keep the opponents guessing. We have the players to accomplish this, I believe.

No - I don't believe for a minute that the Rooneys hired the Tomlinator because of his skin color. They hired the BEST man available for the job and as we know from past HC hirings, the Rooneys have indeed chosen the "BEST" guy available at the time.

I don't believe at this point in his career (and because of his age), Dick Lebeau wanted to be the HC of the Steelers or any other team for that matter. He obviously loves doing what he does best, so why fix what isn't broken?

From what I personally saw of Ben at camp, he looked very poised, confident and was connecting with his targets most of the time. Sure there was a bad throw now and then and some dropped passes, but all in all, Ben looked ready to lead this offense. :tt02::tt02:

I agree i think using both 3-4 and 4-3 will really mix the offense up and make us a top 10 or even top 5 defense.

And yes they def. didn't hire Tomlin for his skin color thats nuts.