PDA

View Full Version : ESPN - Dolphins' Porter to have knee examined

Atlanta Dan
08-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Starting linebacker Joey Porter, who is expected to bolster the Miami Dolphins' pass rush in 2007, is having his right knee evaluated after missing two straight days of practice.

Miami coach Cam Cameron said that Porter's knee problems are not believed to be serious, but that Dolphins officials are seeking an assessment from the team's medical staff as a precautionary measure. Since the Dolphins have an off-day Sunday, no announcement is expected before Monday.

"It was something that he noticed during the offseason program," Cameron said after Porter missed the team's Saturday practice. "He was working his way through it. It isn't something that happened since we started practice. He just wanted to get it checked out."

Porter, 30, has been relatively free of knee problems during his eight-year NFL career. The former Pittsburgh Steelers star has missed only six games in his career, and has never been sidelined for more than two contests in a year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2962215

As for the claim Joey has been "relatively" free of knee problems, he had work done on the left knee prior to the 2005 season and had the right knee scoped during mini-camp prior to the 2006 season, which was less than a banner year for Porter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2457687

I am delighted Joey got his $$$ but perhaps just as glad the Steelers are not on the hook for his mega-contract - this has to have the Dolphins a little unnerved.

rbryan
08-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Hopefully he is fine. I thought it odd the way the Steelers released him without getting anything in return. Maybe the FO and Porter both knew something the Dolphins didn't.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-05-2007, 04:57 PM
I wounde if knee problems are going to e a stumbling block for the rest of Porter's career, His knees did give him trouble last season when he missed some games.

Elvis
08-05-2007, 06:24 PM
God bless the young man I just hope and pray that all will be ok with him...

Elvis
08-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Hopefully he is fine. I thought it odd the way the Steelers released him without getting anything in return. Maybe the FO and Porter both knew something the Dolphins didn't.
I really dont think that the Steelers knew anything was wrong with him.. I think that this is something that has obviously happened since he was released...
:helmet::tt02:

The Duke
08-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Hope he's fine, he has to play in the fins game against us

Crushzilla
08-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Looks like its more than an examination.

Its from Florio, but I don't see why I shouldn't believe it.

SOURCE SAYS PORTER HAS BEEN 'SCOPED

In response to our item from earlier on Sunday, in which we mentioned that we recently received a tip that Miami linebacker Joey Porter already has had arthroscopic surgery on his ailing right knee, a league source says that Porter has indeed undergone the procedure, and that he's likely out until the regular season opens.

It's unclear why the team would be concealing Porter's condition at this point. On Saturday, coach Cam Cameron indicated that the knee was still being evaluated.

The Dolphins signed Porter in March to a contract that pays him $20 million in guaranteed money. Other teams believe based on his performance in 2006 that Porter's best days are in his behind. Right next to that bullet hole.

SteelCityMan786
08-05-2007, 10:53 PM

One more reason he was also released.

rog
08-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Trey Wingo just reported on NFL LIVE that Joey Porter was going for a second opinion for his knee before having it scoped. Wingo said if he has it scoped it will be atleast 2 weeks till he is back.

steelpride12
08-06-2007, 05:05 PM
wow im glad he is gone he just won't be at the peek of his performance anymore.

CantStop85
08-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Another damaged goods all-star signed by the Dolphins.

Livinginthe past
08-06-2007, 05:14 PM
As PFT notes, these are probably the same guys who gave Drew Brees the thumbs down and Culpepper the thumbs up - look how bad that one turned out!

This organisation lurch from one disaster to the next - it all seems so simple when you are a fan of a successful franchise but these guys prove otherwise.

Preacher
08-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Which is why I also say...

TRUST THE ROONEY'S!!

They remember how many times Porter had his knee scoped. The remember how many times he was not quite fully up to playing speed.

Thank you Rooney's for not signing him!

revefsreleets
08-06-2007, 05:48 PM
The Steelers have a sixth sense for getting rid of guys right before they go belly up.

The Duke
08-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Rooney's are just too smart

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Porter To Bamma to see the Dr.

http://www.miamiherald.com/breaking_sports/story/194330.html

Dolphins' Porter might face surgery
Posted on Mon, Aug. 06, 2007
BY DAVID J. NEAL

Dolphins outside linebacker Joey Porter missed Monday's morning practice to see prominent knee surgeon Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion on his right knee, which began bothering him again late last week. Arthroscopic surgery is possible.

Porter missed practices Friday night and Saturday morning with the knee problem, which had flared slightly during an earlier minicamp this spring. None of the five games Porter has missed in his eight-season NFL career because of injury have been credited to an injury to either knee.

Dolphins coach Cam Cameron claimed he didn't know what the Dolphins major 2007 offseason free agent acquisition received for an initial first diagnosis/recommendation.

''I don't know what he got diagnosed with, but, even myself, I've been in training camp and got a `scope and came back, 10 [days], two weeks later,'' Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas said. ``I'd like for him to be here now, but, to be honest with you, the season's much more important. We know that it's good that he's taking care of that now instead of waiting until the fourth or fifth game, then he'll have to miss three or four games.''

Though the Dolphins defense isn't completely foreign to Porter, between his overall NFL experience and being a 3-4 similar to what Pittsburgh used, Dolphins defensive coordinator Dom Capers did say last week Porter was going through an adjustment period.

''Joey, like anybody who's coming in new, he's going through a learning curve now, after you've been in a certain system your whole career,'' Capers said. ``There's a lot of similarities to what we do and to what they do. You're learning some new terminology. The one thing about football players is until you're totally comfortable, you don't see the full speed, because if you have to think -- this is a game where you can't think much.''

Cameron also claimed he didn't know why linebacker Channing Crowder left in the middle of practice. Derrick Pope took Crowder's place with the first team in team drills while Donnie Spragan, who started 18 games over the last two seasons at outside linebacker for the Dolphins, took Porter's spot.

BettisFan
08-06-2007, 07:29 PM
guess he should have stayed with us, too bad :)

fansince'76
08-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Tough break for Peezy - I wish him a quick and full recovery.

BettisFan
08-06-2007, 10:07 PM
why? man who cares about he left us

fansince'76
08-06-2007, 10:10 PM
why? man who cares about he left us

Because football is still his livelihood, maybe? I don't like to see ANY player have to undergo surgery, especially for a knee problem.

Jman
08-06-2007, 10:10 PM
wow im glad he is gone he just won't be at the peek of his performance anymore.

I'm neutral on him leaving, based on his performance.

Preacher
08-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Because football is still his livelihood, maybe? I don't like to see ANY player have to undergo surgery, especially for a knee problem.

Yeah.... I agree.

the only thing for me... is that we have seen this before, what, twice now? So it was a known commodity.

That is why I am a little happy, not for Porter being hurt... but for the fact that the Rooneys, who were called every name in teh book, were proved right... AGAIN.

BettisFan
08-06-2007, 10:35 PM
i guess i can feel for that

Buzz05
08-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Even though Joey is not longer a Steeler on the pay role. He will ALWAYS be a Steeler at heart. For that I hope he comes back and has another good year. Joey was always there when his team needed him and gave everything for the fans. I think even though he is in a Phins jersey now we can atleast all wish him luck and put in a good word witht he Big Guy when he may need some of us.

83-Steelers-43
08-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Looks like the Steelers FO is not as "dumb and cheap" as some felt they were when they let Porter walk. Maybe the Steeler doctor's and FO knew something we didn't know when it came to Porter.

ChronoCross
08-07-2007, 12:15 PM
PORTER GETS 'SCOPED

Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter has undergone arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in Alabama. The surgery was performed by Dr. James Andrews, and not by the team's physicians.

Porter went to Alabama for a second opinion on Monday, presumably because he didn't like what the team physicians had to say. The fact that Porter opted to have the surgery performed by Dr. Andrews suggests that Porter felt more comfortable with him than with the team doctors.

It is the second surgery that Porter has had on his right knee in less than 15 months. Since there is only a finite amount fof cartilage in the joint, and presuming that this most recent procedure removed more of it, the term "bone on bone" could eventually become a reality for Porter.

Porter is expected to be out of action for two weeks, and probably will not participate in any preseason games.

nicesteel4life
08-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Listen, I loved him when he was a Steeler, He is now gone and part of the enemy. He already got 20 million so he aint hurting for money. I dont wish him ill fate, but I cant say I didn't chuckle a little inside when I heard this, common people be honest, you did as well! Get better Porter!

steelpride12
08-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Listen, I loved him when he was a Steeler, He is now gone and part of the enemy. He already got 20 million so he aint hurting for money. I dont wish him ill fate, but I cant say I didn't chuckle a little inside when I heard this, common people be honest, you did as well! Get better Porter!

Good point we all did love him when he was a steeler i won't lie i HAD his jersey and he was a great player and i wish him luck and all, and i do hope he gets better, but he is the enemy now so no more sorrow!