PDA

View Full Version : santonio holmes looks sharp

delhess
08-05-2007, 09:48 PM
well, i know it's only been a half of a preseason game, but holmes has looked very sharp so far. Ben came out firing, and looked very comfortable.

what other players stood out?

Infamix
08-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Cedrick Wilson looks good, Carey Davis and Lamar Woodley looked good as well. Ike is lookin pretty quick too

steelpride12
08-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Ya im impressed overall!

delhess
08-05-2007, 09:51 PM
how about davis the rookie?

delhess
08-05-2007, 09:54 PM
woops, maybe he's not a rookie

Elvis
08-05-2007, 09:56 PM
RB Carey Davis has really impressed me with his power and (should I dare say) Bettis like feet? I look forward to seeing Jon Kuhn in the 2nd half, I just hope that we get out of this game with no injuries... and yes along with Cedric Wilson, Holmes has looked good. If he had gotten underthrown he could've been having even bigger numbers..
:tt02:

Preacher
08-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Yeah, Davis looked good.

WOodley looked good as well.

Best of all.. Tomlin looks like he knows that he is doing!

steelpride12
08-05-2007, 10:00 PM
god i wish i could see the game!

The Duke
08-05-2007, 10:00 PM
The best surprise tonight has been Davis, maybe it was that long run, but I'm really impressed

bigben2ward4six
08-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Davis has impressed me

delhess
08-05-2007, 10:07 PM
The best surprise tonight has been Davis, maybe it was that long run, but I'm really impressed

reminds me of a little preseason performance by a guy named willie parker. maybe you've heard of him?

wharalson
08-05-2007, 11:02 PM
i am so dissappointed that i could not watch the game tonight

wharalson
08-05-2007, 11:03 PM
how did we look overall on o and defense

steelpride12
08-05-2007, 11:12 PM
our run game tonight overall by everyone that ran the ball was Crazy Good!

jjpro11
08-06-2007, 12:07 AM
a bunch of guys today played very well. ben, wilson, holmes, gay, davis, young, woodley.. it was overall a great effort for the entire team.

Preacher
08-06-2007, 02:20 AM
They looked in mid season form , and I still cringe when we field a punt or kick off. We really need to find someone with sure hands.

Yeah.

I will give Reid a pass until about the 3rd preseason game...

At that point, enough. It is too important at that point. We need to be ready for the reg. season.

qbvision.com
08-06-2007, 02:36 AM
I wasn't very surprised by our performance. This was exactly how I seen it. This coach knows how to handle this team. Just look what he did for the Vikings Defense. Play calling is very important, so I give credit to Arians and Lebeau also. If we can play like this soundly as a team week in and week out........... things are looking really good.. i really like Gay and overall im very impressed with the rookie safety.

Galax Steeler
08-06-2007, 05:20 AM
I think you will see holmes taking alot more catches from ward this year he looked really good.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-06-2007, 06:05 AM
our run game tonight overall by everyone that ran the ball was Crazy Good!

Was it me..or was Barlow not that impressive?

Preacher
08-06-2007, 06:14 AM

No, he wasn't.

He actually reminded me of Duce in pre season last year.

Dynasty
08-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I'd have to say that he got a very big "not even remotely impressive stamp" on last night's performance. I think Carey Davis is going to take over whatever role Barlow was going to have.

AvoidLLoyd95
08-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I'd have to say that he got a very big "not even remotely impressive stamp" on last night's performance. I think Carey Davis is going to take over whatever role Barlow was going to have.

You beat me to it...Barlow is just a bump under Carey Davis' feet. I think he looked like a clone of Barry "Bananas" Foster and would think that he will be number two on the depth chart if he continues his performance from last night through the rest of pre-season.

Jman
08-06-2007, 10:10 AM
No, he wasn't.

He actually reminded me of Duce in pre season last year.

I absolutely agree. He didn't do much for the Jets last year either. I'd expect him to be cut. Davis looked quality.

How about Cedrick last night? In rare form. I couldn't believe it!

Other honorable mentions are Ben's mobility in the pocket.

Willie Reid...NEEDS....TO....HOLD.....THE...BALL!

fansince'76
08-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Willie Reid...NEEDS....TO....HOLD.....THE...BALL!

As does Washington - another sure TD pass dropped last night, and that wasn't the only one.

cavscout
08-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Strong concerns regarding Washington who seems to always find a way to drop the ball at critical junctures. Trying to be paitient with Reid who is way behind the curve due to last seasons injury but unless he shows dramatic improvement by the end of preseason it may be time to part ways with him.

SteelerMurf
08-06-2007, 12:42 PM

only thing that will allow him to make the team is that he is a vet

Parker
Kreider
Davenport

There is only room for 2 more.

Barlow
Russell
Kuhn
Davis

I vote Davis and Russell with Kuhn on the practice squad.

TasmanianTroy271
08-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Did Kuhn run the ball at all last night? i don't even think he was even dressed, I guess Russell has played Kuhn out of a job. Russell did look very good on his limited chances, plus, if you go to the ESPN Box Score, he made 4 tackles last night, second highest for the team. Considering we didn't turn the ball over, that means he made 4 ST tackles, and we all know how we need to improve on ST.

Steelerstrength
08-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Strong concerns regarding Washington who seems to always find a way to drop the ball at critical junctures. Trying to be paitient with Reid who is way behind the curve due to last seasons injury but unless he shows dramatic improvement by the end of preseason it may be time to part ways with him.

Washington has been given enough opportunity to perform, with many balls thrown at him. He is always dropping big passes! Last night he would have scored, possibly, if he'd have pulled his head out of his ass first.

Reminds me of last season, at home vs the Bungholes. Ben hit him in the hands twice at the goal line, and we all know the result.

Reid has to hold onto the ball. I thought it was a fumble, but glad to see the ref's call it correctly. What is it with our returners?

HometownGal
08-06-2007, 02:58 PM
I think the entire team looked pretty impressive, especially the first team O and D - WOW! :thumbsup::tt02: LaMar Woodley stood out, as did Carey Davis and Cedric Wilson. I believe SanTo has only gotten faster and he really looked energized when he was in the game. I loved the hang time on Sep's punts - that is going to be a big plus on STs. For a first game with only a little over 2 weeks of camp, I'd say I was quite impressed overall! :tt02::tt02:

rog
08-06-2007, 04:01 PM
I was impressed with the big hits from Madison and Gay but I would like to see them wrap their arms when the hit a guy.

steelpride12
08-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Holmes although this was the first pre-season game played very well and kept his feet in on that TD catch which was impressive. I think he will be a great second WR and will help us get back to the superbowl.

The Duke
08-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Holmes although this was the first pre-season game played very well and kept his feet in on that TD catch which was impressive. I think he will be a great second WR and will help us get back to the superbowl.

Indeed, that TD catch may was very impressive, shows we can actually throw to Holmes in the end zone

klick81
08-06-2007, 07:45 PM
As does Washington - another sure TD pass dropped last night, and that wasn't the only one.

You're right. I expected more from Washington, and he's gotta be beating himself up for it as well.

delhess
08-06-2007, 08:06 PM
i think holmes will be the man, second man of course, but he looks like a real athlete, and is in a great position in his career to capitalize on a more open offense.

i got the feeling sometimes, (in past years) that ben was not comfortable w/ many receivers other than hines, but i think there is great opportunity for holmes and ben to "click".

w/ several 'go to' receivers, and a strong running game, the sky is the limit.

looking at mikey t's past, i don't think we have to worry about defense either :)

fansince'76
08-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Indeed, that TD catch may was very impressive, shows we can actually throw to Holmes in the end zone

On the flip side of that, BSP threw some very nice passes as well.

The Duke
08-06-2007, 08:22 PM
On the flip side of that, BSP threw some very nice passes as well.

Maybe the ratbirds taught him how to throw the ball in exchange for steelers info :toofunny:

steelpride12
08-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Maybe the ratbirds taught him how to throw the ball in exchange for steelers info :toofunny:

hahah no doubt!

C-BusSteeler
08-06-2007, 08:47 PM

out of all the recievers hes the one that can afford those the least....as much as i want this Tiffin success-story to turn out...idk

delhess
08-11-2007, 08:30 PM
another big pass to holmes in the packers game. wow, what an impressive full speed catch under good coverage. thrown by batch.

Elvis
08-11-2007, 08:50 PM
I love the way this young man is coming into his own in this being his 2nd season....:thumbsup:

delhess
08-11-2007, 09:09 PM
yes, i have been hoping that is exactly what would happen. ben needs several weapons to be truly affective.

steelpride12
08-11-2007, 10:55 PM
I love the way this young man is coming into his own in this being his 2nd season....:thumbsup:

He looked very good bouncing off that tackle and scoring.

BettisFan
08-12-2007, 12:28 AM
hes our numba 2 guy!

Preacher
08-12-2007, 12:32 AM
I really like the development of this young man.

BettisFan
08-12-2007, 12:38 AM
does anyone else think he will be our next big target like hines is now, it seems hines is sortof fading... i guess so i think holmes will show him self soon

delhess
08-12-2007, 02:42 PM
hopefully we can tap his potential. he needs to stay healthy and productive, and keep showing washington how to HOLD UNTO THE BALL!!