PDA

View Full Version : How did Woodley look?

RoethlisBURGHer
08-05-2007, 11:43 PM
I had to work tonight,so I couldn't watch the game from my computer...and it was supposed to be on 850 am radio in the Cleveland area,but after the pregame it went to static.

I read the post-game report on Yahoo!,and it said Ben looked good,Wilson had two excellent catches,and Davis had some nice runs.

My question is,how did LaMarr Woodley look?Was he a terror for the offense?

SteelCityMan786
08-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Woodley lived up to all of his expectations.

ChronoCross
08-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Woodley looked great. Even in coverage he dropped back and deflected a ball from the saints TE over the middle. Very promising kid.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Good,I can't wait for the Eagles game on August 26th,it'll be the only preseason game I get to see.

Welcome To Smashmouth
08-05-2007, 11:56 PM
His first snap with the Defense, he beasted the lineman he was assigned to and got into the backfield. fast forward a few plays, drew brees drops back makes a pass and "WOW, who was that DB that made that diving swat over the middle??? ...WHAT?! that was WOODLEY!!!"

yes, very impressive to say the least. i do believe we've drafted a future star

now lets just hope & pray timmons plays out as well

jjpro11
08-06-2007, 12:04 AM
woodley reminds me a lot like levon kirkland in terms of physique. i just hope he plays like him as well. i really hope timmons gets better soon and can play in a couple preseason games though.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2007, 12:16 AM
It seemed Woodley was all over the field tonight........I jumped out of my seat when he deflected that pass.......He looked solid out there defending that pass for a young former DE turned OLB that is learning coverage responsibilities in the Steelers 3-4 scheme....I was impressed with Woodley all around tonight...

Preacher
08-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Yeah.. Woodley was great. If Timmons can get up and go like Woodley..

Well... I think we have our next generation of linebackers

steelpride12
08-06-2007, 01:27 AM
Woodley had a great, and promising start getting in the backfield and doing pretty good in the backfield also. I cant wait to see him in the upcoming pre-season games.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-06-2007, 01:59 AM
Man I am so pumped.Woodley is gonna be the next great Steelers linebacker...I sure hope Timmons pans out and has a good career with us.

Preacher
08-06-2007, 02:08 AM
Just give it time.

He will make it.

steelpride12
08-06-2007, 02:10 AM
Just give it time.

He will make it.

o no doubt he will make it he had a pass deflection against the saints starting offense now thats saying something.

Preacher
08-06-2007, 04:24 AM
o no doubt he will make it he had a pass deflection against the saints starting offense now thats saying something.

I was actually talking about Timmons!!

Steel Pit
08-06-2007, 04:46 AM
Woodwy wooked marvelous!

I'm going to say that the starters on both sides of the ball looked great. Our secondary was suprisingly "ON IT". The Saints receivers were being hit the instant that they touched the ball. I liked the coverage schemes that the Steelers were using. I can only hope that they continue this type of coverage because it was certainly affective.

Other than Washington's drops and Reid's fumble, I give the starters an A+

Galax Steeler
08-06-2007, 04:52 AM
Woodley looked great there will be great things coming from him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-06-2007, 04:58 AM
MAN!!! I am pumped for this season!!!!....Granted we all know this is preseason..but I am giving SERIOUS consideration to not only seeing hte Rams game...but also trying to score Cincy tickets and laugh my butt off as we walk all over those incompetant yet arrogant pieces of crap.

Spidey
08-06-2007, 06:19 AM
The greatest compliment you could give him, is that he looked like a veteran out there . . .

very promising . . .

When Timmons pans out, we will be awesome!!

Preacher
08-06-2007, 06:23 AM
MAN!!! I am pumped for this season!!!!....Granted we all know this is preseason..but I am giving SERIOUS consideration to not only seeing hte Rams game...but also trying to score Cincy tickets and laugh my butt off as we walk all over those incompetant yet arrogant pieces of crap.

Nooo...

Go to the RAVENS game on Monday night...

My wife and I are going to be there... would love to meet ya!

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-06-2007, 07:10 AM
Nooo...

Go to the RAVENS game on Monday night...

My wife and I are going to be there... would love to meet ya!

hehehe .....I have never seen a pastor in a fistfight!!!!:sofunny::sofunny:...(I got your back)

yinzer-inseattle
08-06-2007, 11:35 AM
If Woodley keeps this up he'll have a big impact on the entire LB corps. I see him pushing Haggins and Harrison and also giving us some time to let Timmons heal. Bottom line Woodley looks like a playmaker. I like what I saw...... a lot!

Elvis
08-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Yeah the young man looked pretty nice in his pass covering. He was in the backfield some as well. I thought that the Steelers would leave him in alittle longer, but I guess they felt like he had had enough. So far, so good...
:tt02:

SteelerFanInCA
08-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Woodley played great. I was quite impressed with the way he dropped back into pass coverage and deflected that pass.

I like what this guy brings to the table. He's going to be a nice boost for the D this year.

X-Terminator
08-06-2007, 11:43 AM
I thought Woodley looked good, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It's just one preseason game. Let's see what he does for the remainder of the preseason and into the regular season before we deem him "The Next One."

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2007, 11:58 AM
I thought Woodley looked good, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It's just one preseason game. Let's see what he does for the remainder of the preseason and into the regular season before we deem him "The Next One."

I agree not to get to ahead of ourselves....But its encouraging seeing a young player who was a DE mostly in college and learning to play OLB in the Steelers 3-4 defense deflect a pass in coverage.....We all know he can rush the passer and that he had to work on his coverage skills......But Woodley making a play like that shows that he might be picking up coverage quicker then expected and maybe Woodley will get some major playing time this year.....

Looking back players like Jason Gildon and Joey Porter didn't play a whole lot on defense their rookie years.....So I'm just glad that Lamarr is showing to be a quick learner and that he might push for playing time this year.....

SteelFist
08-06-2007, 12:36 PM
I can't understand why they need Woodley to lose 10 lbs. If he's gonna play as a DL in certain passing situations then the weight will help him.

SCSTILLER
08-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Woodley looked promising. You can tell that he or the coaching staff wasn't lying when they said he was spending alot of the time studying the playbook. I too was impressed with the pass breakup. I also hope that Timmons plays like a true first rounder, I beleive we will have two good LBs for years to come.

X-Terminator
08-06-2007, 12:55 PM
I can't understand why they need Woodley to lose 10 lbs. If he's gonna play as a DL in certain passing situations then the weight will help him.

I'm guessing they want him to be a little quicker and faster, so he'll be more effective at rushing the QB. You don't have to be the biggest guy in the world to be a good pass rusher, even at DE.

SCSTILLER
08-06-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm guessing they want him to be a little quicker and faster, so he'll be more effective at rushing the QB. You don't have to be the biggest guy in the world to be a good pass rusher, even at DE.

Good point!

SteelFist
08-06-2007, 01:15 PM

True. I just think about Adalius Thomas (267 lbs) and Merriman (270 lbs) at OLB. Unless they're quicker than Woodley.

rog
08-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Timmons is going to have a hard time looking good when he gets on the field because Woodley pretty much set the bar high last night I think with the time Timmons has missed its going to be really hard to play as well as Woodley did. Overall I thought all the young guys did a bang up job.

X-Terminator
08-06-2007, 03:23 PM
True. I just think about Adalius Thomas (267 lbs) and Merriman (270 lbs) at OLB. Unless they're quicker than Woodley.

Both are quicker than Woodley at their sizes, especially Merriman. However, Jason Taylor is only 255 lbs and plays DE, and he's one of the most consistent sack threats in the NFL - he had 13.5 sacks last season, in fact. That's likely what the Steelers have in mind for Woodley.

The Duke
08-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Jason Taylor is only 255 lbs and plays DE, and he's one of the most consistent sack threats in the NFL - he had 13.5 sacks last season, in fact. That's likely what the Steelers have in mind for Woodley.

I like it, and I guess they're doing the same with Keisel, who's already a more experienced threat. Defense this year is going to be awesome:helmet:

lilyoder6
08-06-2007, 05:14 PM
i think if woodly did a good job.. hopefully when timmons can play he is as good as evryone says or we wasted a pick

steelpride12
08-06-2007, 05:41 PM
i think if woodly did a good job.. hopefully when timmons can play he is as good as evryone says or we wasted a pick

I have no prob. with Woodley i think he will be a great asset for the team and for Timmons i think he just needs to rest till he is 100% and then we can throw him on the field. Eventually Timmons will be a great player, but for now time is all we have.

Preacher
08-06-2007, 06:58 PM
hehehe .....I have never seen a pastor in a fistfight!!!!:sofunny::sofunny:...(I got your back)

LOL... the game IS IN PITTSBURGH!! No fights!

revefsreleets
08-06-2007, 07:16 PM
As an OSU fan, I can tell you that Woodley is a special player, and O'm very happy he's finally playing for my team and not against it. The guy is a lot like Troy. He just flies around the field, makes plays, and has a nose for the ball.

Welcome To Smashmouth
08-06-2007, 07:32 PM

I hear where your coming from, but on the flip side if he can cover like we saw last night already, I say let him keep the 10pounds to get a leg up when he puts a hand down in the dirt. If he was slack in coverage I'd change my opinion....but no normal NCAA DE of the year comes out and makes a play 15-yards out like he does....and a ROOKIE?? haha, oh man. everybody put a smile on that face...we've got somethin special here

Rotorhead
08-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Woodley definately played well, he was in the backfield and of course that pass defended was outstanding. I kept reading how much the coaching staffed liked this kid, now I know why. I am definately glad we drafted him and hope Timmons is up to par around playoff time :)

RoethlisBURGHer
08-07-2007, 12:44 AM
As an OSU fan, I can tell you that Woodley is a special player, and O'm very happy he's finally playing for my team and not against it. The guy is a lot like Troy. He just flies around the field, makes plays, and has a nose for the ball.

And just think about how this defense will be even better next year with James Laurinitus in the Black and Gold.