PDA

View Full Version : Watching The Game In Mixed Company

TommyG
08-05-2007, 11:37 PM
I watch the Steelers games a lot with my wife and sister-in-law(Who I converted to a Steelers fan last year). I hear things during the games that I don't normally hear while watching the game with the guys or at the sports pub. Quotes from tonights game:

1) That Mike Tomlin is hot.

2) That Tomlin is like an older Omar Epps...And he speaks well too....

3) Ben has really lost some weight...He looks cute again...sort of

I enjoy watching the game with them because they truly get that Steeler football is special, and the organization is one of the best in the league. But.....I am going to have to write up a list of things that cannot be uttered during a game....And calling anyone on the field hot, is going to be #1. :banging:

Anyone else had similar experiences watching games in mixed company.

Preacher
08-06-2007, 12:01 AM
I watch the Steelers games a lot with my wife and sister-in-law(Who I converted to a Steelers fan last year). I hear things during the games that I don't normally hear while watching the game with the guys or at the sports pub. Quotes from tonights game:

I enjoy watching the game with them because they truly get that Steeler football is special, and the organization is one of the best in the league. But.....I am going to have to write up a list of things that cannot be uttered during a game....And calling anyone on the field hot, is going to be #1. :banging:

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

Rule 2. No statements about the tight pants. We men don't care about that!

OneForTheToe
08-06-2007, 12:17 AM
When I was a kid, my dad was not much of a football fan, even though the Steelers were at prime of theirs 70's power. One day I am watching a Steelers' game with a few friends, my Dad walks into the room, looks at the TV and utters; "which ones are the Steelers?" :footinmou:redface:

steelpinstripe72
08-06-2007, 02:32 AM
By the same token, I hate when men assume that, because I'm not a dude, I know nothing about football and will thus make comments like the ones TommyG mentioned. Except for the Omar Epps thing, which...whatever (All I know about Omar Epps is that he's an actor). I found myself commenting earlier that I needed a Mike Tomlin avatar for my LiveJournal with a Samuel L. Jackson quote on it or something. But the "So-and-so's hot" thing bugs me to no end. Anyway, just because I can't rattle off stats doesn't mean I can't talk about the game. I had one guy ask me one time why I wasn't wearing a "girl jersey" (You know the type of jersey I'm talking about, I'm sure). WTF :bash:

LarryNJ
08-06-2007, 06:34 AM
I don't see a problem with those comments. You just need to learn how to handle them.

A: Yes he is, now go get me another cold beer!

A: Yes he is honey, now go get me another cold beer!

A: I was thinking the same thing, now go get me another cold beer and make me a sandwhich while you're in there!

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-06-2007, 06:46 AM

Been there brother, and I feel your pain....We used to have a young lady who worked here who used to live in western PA....I thought she had my back until we wre watching a game at work and she suddely blurted out..."The emblem fell off one side of that players helmet"......:dang:

Rule # 3: If you are gonna call yourself a fan...do a little homework....love them enough to KNOW them....otherwise your no better than a Bengal fan. I was so embarrassed for her that I almost pissed my stripes.

Hammer67
08-06-2007, 07:16 AM
When I was a kid, my dad was not much of a football fan, even though the Steelers were at prime of theirs 70's power. One day I am watching a Steelers' game with a few friends, my Dad walks into the room, looks at the TV and utters; "which ones are the Steelers?" :footinmou:redface:

LOL!!!

Guy rule #1 when watching sports. If you just walk into a room of guys watching a game, never ask who is playing on TV, just ask the score.

Man law.

Godfather
08-06-2007, 07:45 AM
I don't see anything wrong with female fans appreciating cute male athletes.

I'll watch women's tennis, basketball, and softball, and those sports have some players who are cute as well as being good players.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-06-2007, 09:14 AM
LOL!!!

Guy rule #1 when watching sports. If you just walk into a room of guys watching a game, never ask who is playing on TV, just ask the score.

Man law.

Agreed.

TommyG
08-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Anyway, just because I can't rattle off stats doesn't mean I can't talk about the game. I had one guy ask me one time why I wasn't wearing a "girl jersey" (You know the type of jersey I'm talking about, I'm sure). WTF :bash:

I agree...I would not put my daughter in those stupid pink girl jerseys....I think the cheerleader outfits are pretty lame for the little girls too :cheer: I say put them in a jersey and let them enjoy the game the right way....Don't just assume they will not understand and appreciate the beauty of the game

TommyG
08-06-2007, 10:59 AM
I don't see a problem with those comments. You just need to learn how to handle them.

How many wives have you gone through with those lines..:jawdrop:...I just count myself lucky that my wife understands and enjoys watching football.....We go to the Steelers gams together and I can talk football with her.

Anyway, if you have the cooler at your feet with the iced beer, knowone has to leave the room.

Counselor
08-06-2007, 11:01 AM

OK---first of all he DOES look like Omar Epps (from "House")---my husband was the first to point that out to me.

Second---if you make the rule it should go both ways---if they can't say Tomlin and Ben are hot then you can't say any cheerleader on the opposing team (or woman in a beer commercial) is hot.

Trust me, many of my guy -friends and family members have learned a thing or two about football watching the game with my sister and I----so you can't make a blanket statement about all "mixed company."

I'm glad your watching with them though---If you overlook the "hot" comments and take time to teach them about the game you may find by the end of the season they're able "talk" football with anyone.

TommyG
08-06-2007, 11:11 AM
OK---first of all he DOES look like Omar Epps (from "House")---my husband was the first to point that out to me.

Second---if you make the rule it should go both ways---if they can't say Tomlin and Ben are hot then you can't say any cheerleader on the opposing team (or woman in a beer commercial) is hot.

Trust me, many of my guy -friends and family members have learned a thing or two about football watching the game with my sister and I----so you can't make a blanket statement about all "mixed company."

I'm glad your watching with them though---If you overlook the "hot" comments and take time to teach them about the game you may find by the end of the season they're able "talk" football with anyone.

Well it looked like they had the third string Saint Cheerleaders at the game last night....Dame you HDtv.

I guess I don't watch much women sports with the guys, so I don't hear that stuff while watching a game.

I have been through two seasons now with my wife and sister-in-law wtching every Steeler game and it does make a difference. They have gotten all their questions answered and it makes the games more enjoyable to watch for everyone.

Counselor
08-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Well it looked like they had the third string Saint Cheerleaders at the game last night....Dame you HDtv.

I guess I don't watch much women sports with the guys, so I don't hear that stuff while watching a game.

I have been through two seasons now with my wife and sister-in-law wtching every Steeler game and it does make a difference. They have gotten all their questions answered and it makes the games more enjoyable to watch for everyone.

LOL. good for you!

LarryNJ
08-06-2007, 11:58 AM
How many wives have you gone through with those lines...

I've only been married 1 time for 21 years. So obviously I don't use those lines. It's just a fantasy of mine! :wink02:

Pittsburghfan
08-06-2007, 12:51 PM
All I hear is. Oh Boy that Sepulvada(sp?) is a CUTIE!. Wow.

PAMillerGrrl83
08-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Now wait just a second. Just because us women make comments about certain players being "cute/hot/sexy" whatever doesnt mean we dont know whats going on in the game. Give us more credit than that. We're women of course we're going to notice the cute players LoL its part of our nature but that doesnt mean that we're watching the game just because of the "hot" players.

TommyG
08-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Now wait just a second. Just because us women make comments about certain players being "cute/hot/sexy" whatever doesnt mean we dont know whats going on in the game. Give us more credit than that. We're women of course we're going to notice the cute players LoL its part of our nature but that doesnt mean that we're watching the game just because of the "hot" players.

So do you have a problem with guys commenting as well? Is there a double standard that it is ok for the ladies to comment about that guys "tight end". But if you are watching the game with a guy and he is commenting about the cheerleaders or the blond in the beer add he is a pig. It should be able to work both ways.

TommyG
08-06-2007, 04:50 PM
I've only been married 1 time for 21 years. So obviously I don't use those lines. It's just a fantasy of mine! :wink02:

I can't lie. I have had that one too.

Preacher
08-06-2007, 05:41 PM

My wife usually has only one line...

Steelers are on? I am going upstairs!!

:sofunny::sofunny:

Gotta admit though, she lets me use the main tv.. go out to the steeler club when I wanted to etc.etc.

She also let me spend a few thousand going to Pittsubrgh this year to watch the game.

Counselor
08-07-2007, 10:04 AM
So do you have a problem with guys commenting as well? Is there a double standard that it is ok for the ladies to comment about that guys "tight end". But if you are watching the game with a guy and he is commenting about the cheerleaders or the blond in the beer add he is a pig. It should be able to work both ways.

No no double standard at all! If you can comment then we can comment and vice versa. I'm all for equal opportunity!

As for Sepulveda----(who someone mentioned)--- he's got to be fair game because there are a lot of guys out there with "man crushes" on him!

Hobbes
08-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Considering my wife has only been a football/Steelers fan for only 1 1/2 season I think she does very well and I love watching the game with her. She cheers louder than most of the guys at the sports bar and sent the puppy running under the bed on Wilson's long catch Sunday night. I have to hear an occational comment on how cute Heath Miller is but I have never heard her say any of the following:
"Why dont they each get a ball then they would'nt have to fight for that ONE?"
"How can I get my hair to curl like Troy's?"
"Why does'nt he run the other way, away from all those guys?"

PAMillerGrrl83
08-07-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm not saying theres any "double standard" all Im saying is that being a female football fan, us ladies are going to make those comments. My fiance doesnt make those comments while Im around but I'm sure he does when I'm not, heck I'm even guilty of making comments about cheerleaders. But its just part of our brain I guess is all Im getting at and I dont think its right for guys to get mad or irritated or whatever when we do make those comments.

stillers4me
08-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Hey......we gals can have a "fantasy football" team. We just use different criteria.........:wink02:

My husband tells me all the time how lucky he is to have a wife that loves football and knows more about it than the average chick.

And did I mention how hot that new punter is??????? :banana:

PAMillerGrrl83
08-07-2007, 10:55 PM
^^LoL thats exactly what Im talking about. Im ashamed to call the girls who just watch football for the "hot players in tight pants".

Preacher
08-08-2007, 12:31 AM
When I was watching it at the Black and Gold Brigade....

I was impressed by the woman that came and watched... they were very knowledgeable.

TommyG
08-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Well my wife and sister-in-law were really not that into football or the Steelers early on....But watching and going to the games changed their perception....Plus having a terrible towel twirl in their faces each Sunday must have put them in a trance and out came two Steelers fans.....I will be at work and my wife will call me to say "Did you hear they got Troy locked up for a couple more years"...I am like "Who is this"....Got to love it.....:tt02::tt02::tt02: