PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Observations From Last Night....

SteelFist
08-06-2007, 11:32 AM
After watching the game a 2nd time (recorded), I noticed a few things I missed the first time around:

On Offense:

1) Okobi played very well. I thought he did a good job vs Hollis Thomas. Too bad Mahan didn't play.

2) Simmons was a beast. And Starks played well at RT and LT. He whiffed on a run block at LT but over all I thought he played well. It was interesting to see them mixing it up on the Oline. I thought Kemoeatu, Colon and Philip also played well.

On Defense:

1) The new Nickel package will cause fits for offenses this year. The 3 down linemen were (From the left) Woodley, Aaron Smith and Keisel. LB's were Foote, Farrior and Haggans. DB's were Townsend, Polamalu, McFadden, Taylor and Clark. The 3 down linemen were not on center, and they sometimes shifted just before the snap. Of the 3 DL, you don't know who will rush or stand up. On the one play where Woodley broke up that pass over the middle, he stood up from the LE position to make the play....very tricky. Keisel dropped back in coverage a few times as well from the RE position. I think this formation will be more successful than the 5-2.

2) Ryan McBean (#95) got pushed around a lot playin DE in the 3-4. Derrick Jones (#67) looked stronger than McBean at the point of attack, but seemed a little sluggish. Nua didn't impress me. This is his 3rd season and its probably time for him to go if someone else can step up. He was pushed around a lot as well. Paxson played well at NT.

3) At LB, Rien Wallace looked lost at ROLB. PLEASE keep him on the inside where he's more comfortable. No other LB stood out to me...don't know if thats good or bad.

I'm not bothering to state the obvious good and bad of last night, as they have already been posted. I was only able to formulate these opinions after watching the game a 2nd time.

OneForTheToe
08-06-2007, 12:19 PM
After watching the game a 2nd time (recorded), I noticed a few things I missed the first time around:

On Offense:

1) Okobi played very well. I thought he did a good job vs Hollis Thomas. Too bad Mahan didn't play.

2) Simmons was a beast. And Starks played well at RT and LT. He whiffed on a run block at LT but over all I thought he played well. It was interesting to see them mixing it up on the Oline. I thought Kemoeatu, Colon and Philip also played well.

Yea, Kemo threw a great block on the one long run by Davis. Of course, there has never been much doubt about Kemo's run blocking. He needs to get better at the pass blocking aspects. I didn't notice Starks much, which I guess is good.

on Defense:

1) The new Nickel package will cause fits for offenses this year. The 3 down linemen were (From the left) Woodley, Aaron Smith and Keisel. LB's were Foote, Farrior and Haggans. DB's were Townsend, Polamalu, McFadden, Taylor and Clark. The 3 down linemen were not on center, and they sometimes shifted just before the snap. Of the 3 DL, you don't know who will rush or stand up. On the one play where Woodley broke up that pass over the middle, he stood up from the LE position to make the play....very tricky. Keisel dropped back in coverage a few times as well from the RE position. I think this formation will be more successful than the 5-2.

2) Ryan McBean (#95) got pushed around a lot playin DE in the 3-4. Derrick Jones (#67) looked stronger than McBean at the point of attack, but seemed a little sluggish. Nua didn't impress me. This is his 3rd season and its probably time for him to go if someone else can step up. He was pushed around a lot as well. Paxson played well at NT.

I think Ryan McBeen needs to put on a little beef, if he is going to be an end in a 3-4. I totaly agree about Nua. It's his third years and he has shown me very little. Time to move on.

Did Jason Capizzi play? I didn't notice him.

SteelFist
08-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Did Jason Capizzi play? I didn't notice him.

Yeah he did. He played well.....didn't give up any sacks. There were a couple of running plays where he looked lost blocking in open space, but you could see the effort. He doesn't move well but he's strong.

steelpride12
08-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Great observations i agree with all. i'm just happy that Starks played well and i hope he can keep that up.

Steelerstrength
08-06-2007, 01:32 PM

On Offense:

On Defense:

3) At LB, Rien Wallace looked lost at ROLB. PLEASE keep him on the inside where he's more comfortable. No other LB stood out to me...don't know if thats good or bad.

I'm not bothering to state the obvious good and bad of last night, as they have already been posted. I was only able to formulate these opinions after watching the game a 2nd time.

Nice observations! I hated that Starks totally wiffed that block! They would have to show the replay. Damn!