PDA

View Full Version : Last year a blessing in disguise??

Welcome To Smashmouth
08-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Big Ben in particular. I believe the possibility that last year will end up benefiting the future of this franchise is very strong. "Unflappable" was the word most used to describe Ben his first year, but there is a chance "borderline ****y" eventually became the chance. I would never hope/pray/ask for someone to go through what Ben had to endure last year, but he has undoubtedly become a stronger person due to what happens, and now with all the embraces of the media turning into speculation, hes got a lot to prove - and knows it better than any one out there.

BettisFan
08-06-2007, 06:56 PM
i think it was, becuase if u all have been paying attention and or watching espn ben went in and preatty much was so determined that he spent two months editing the offensive playbook! Ben will do great this season i hope probowl!

rog
08-06-2007, 07:02 PM
I don't like to look at things that way but everyone makes decisions some good some bad. I believe the bad decision can have a bigger impact on who a person is because at one point or another everyone makes a bad decision. What defines you isn't allways that bad choice but what you do next that defines you. How you pick yourself up and carry on is the important thing. That is unless you run a dog fighting ring then you should just burn in hell.

BettisFan
08-06-2007, 07:04 PM
yea i agree and ben is doing just that

Preacher
08-06-2007, 10:30 PM
For a number of reasons..

Ben is one... but also, it allowed us to pick up a great LB in Woodley, maybe a second one in Timmons if he can ever get on teh field.

TommyG
08-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Sometimes it is nice to be overlooked...Everyone is so hot on the Ravens and Bengals that Pittsburgh is almost an afterthought in the division. I think that will put that chip back on the shoulder and give them something to prove. If they find that new emotional leader to replace Joey, that could make for a tough year for the birds and the convicts.

steelpride12
08-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Sometimes it is nice to be overlooked...Everyone is so hot on the Ravens and Bengals that Pittsburgh is almost an afterthought in the division. I think that will put that chip back on the shoulder and give them something to prove. If they find that new emotional leader to replace Joey, that could make for a tough year for the birds and the convicts.

Im happy were being overlooked its always nice being the underdog(superbowl XL and playoffs).

Livinginthe past
08-06-2007, 11:31 PM
Hmmm, I really don't think so.

Anything less than a SB and Cowher was probably gone anyway - maybe he was still gone even with back-2-back SB's - who knows?

I wouldn't wish what Ben went through on anyone, last year had absolutely no positive effects as far as I can see - other than Bens ability to try and shut what happened out of his mind.

I think he pretty much had a mental meltdown after all the injuries, and being thrown prematurely back into a team that had issues with discipline and confidence.

I think Woodley would have been available wherever the Steelers picked round 1 and who knows what Timmons is going to bring to the table?

Welcome To Smashmouth
08-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Sometimes it is nice to be overlooked...

heh, with the exception of the obvious SB win, when ARENT we overlooked?? honestly, i like the fact that the steelers are ALWAYS considered the underdog. its almost as if playing with a chip on our shoulder is a week-to-week mentality. builds us up, man....it builds us up

TommyG
08-07-2007, 10:35 PM
honestly, i like the fact that the steelers are ALWAYS considered the underdog. its almost as if playing with a chip on our shoulder is a week-to-week mentality. builds us up, man....it builds us up

I'll agree with that....They used that mentality to get through all those road wins on the way to Detriot....

iloveben7
08-07-2007, 10:57 PM
I think last year was kind of a blessing because Ben and the rest of the team learned from their mistakes and they all worked so hard in the off-season. I know Ben will be back!!

Buzz05
08-08-2007, 07:39 AM
Honestly I think last year gave Ben a chance to see how the other half lived. His first 2 years he was the king of the mountain so to say. He could do no wrong. Now that he had his trials and tribulations he seems he is more focused and working hard to prove all the ney sayers wrong and to become king of that mountain again. I've always said, what doesnt kill you only makes you stronger. Ben has shown he is the leader of this team now and Im not saying he will win MVP...but he will be the old Ben.

Stillers33
08-09-2007, 04:10 PM
ben looks like he'll do good this season. He did pretty good in the HOF game.

alittlejazzbird
08-09-2007, 06:46 PM
heh, with the exception of the obvious SB win, when ARENT we overlooked?? honestly, i like the fact that the steelers are ALWAYS considered the underdog. its almost as if playing with a chip on our shoulder is a week-to-week mentality. builds us up, man....it builds us up

Even with the Super Bowl win, we weren't really given credit. I'm still smarting from all the media/Seahawks whining about how we didn't deserve to win. I'd bet that Ben is burning with the desire to someday be Super Bowl MVP and show all the doubters, even more so after last year's disappointment.

Time will tell, but last year may indeed have been a blessing in disguise with regard to the drafting of Timmons and Woodley, just as the 6-10 season in 2003-04 led to the 11th pick in the 2004 draft. That turned out pretty well.