PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Big Ben New Era

BettisFan
08-07-2007, 02:29 AM
a great article by usa today about our game against the saints! they say we have a new big ben! read the article it also talk about how all the players did in the game! Below are some of the important parts in the article!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-08-06-1015005223_x.htm
Mike Tomlin needed less than five minutes to see Ben Roethlisberger perform in the preseason like former Steelers coach Bill Cowher never saw him play the last two summers.

Three passes, two completions, 73 yards and one very quick, six-play touchdown drive may have been all that Roethlisberger required Sunday night to prove his star-crossed and unfocused 2006 season is behind him and he is rapidly moving on.

The last two preseasons, Roethlisberger played minimally and produced minimally - a total of one TD pass and 256 yards passing in the Steelers' eight exhibition games. Never in that time did he look as locked in and as ready to go as he did during the 20-7 decision over New Orleans on Sunday, and there's still a month to go before the Sept. 9 opener at Cleveland.

Galax Steeler
08-07-2007, 04:43 AM
I think everybody was suprised to see ben back in his old form looked great.

SteelersMongol
08-07-2007, 05:58 AM
Not trying to be a party pooper, but I don't think we can say anything about Ben's performance based on just 3 throws. I'm little worried how he'd do, when he start getting some real beating from the other teams when the season starts.

mental.apparition
08-07-2007, 06:54 AM
That article is just a bit over the top. As Mongol points out one series of 3 passes to start the first pre-season game of the year doesn't mean a whole lot in the big scheme of things.

I think Ben will be fine but one quick series in a meaningless game is meaningless. If Ben had gone 1-3 for 6 yards and 1 INT in the same series would anybody claim Ben as broken, or worse lazy? Of course some would but they wouldn't be any closer to making a case than this guy.

verks36
08-07-2007, 07:42 AM
I dont see how you can take away that much from teh 1rst preseason game. Its preseason ad he had what 2 drives come one. There is no way how you can be saying ben has changed just from that one preformace

SCSTILLER
08-07-2007, 09:06 AM
As promising as he looked, Mongol is right. Don't get me wrong, I think Ben is going to be better this year than any of his previous years. Only time will tell.

stillers4ever
08-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Normally id say the same thing as well, but ben is out there to prove himself. He HAS so many critics and everyone pretty much counted him out. He has a considerable amount of pressure on his shoulders, and for him to just jump in and throw and amazing first series says a lot about his abilitiy and aggresivness. and it was against saints first team defense, even though thats not saying much.

AvoidLLoyd95
08-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Let the pre season wear on and in the third or fourth game we will see how he does. That is when they usually play the starters the most. Nothing matters until September 9th anyway. As long as they stay pretty healthy.

alittlejazzbird
08-07-2007, 09:54 AM
The main thing to take away from Ben's performance, IMO, is that the troubles of the past year are officially behind him. No matter how this coming season shakes out, it's getting clearer all the time that the uncertain, mistake-prone Ben of last season is gone.

Counselor
08-07-2007, 10:23 AM
OK I hate to say this, but, if you remember, Ben looked good last preseason too---he'd play one great series a game and then get taken out. I'm not saying he won't have a great year, I think he will, but to say that he looked like crap last preseason is flat out wrong.

To say he is new man after three passes (albeit the 55 yarder was beautiful) is just stupid.

rbryan
08-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Does this mean that we have to play all the games now and not just give the Patsies the SB trophy in August??

BettisFan
08-07-2007, 11:15 AM
i think ben will come out more determined than ever and really kick a** this year

DACEB
08-07-2007, 11:50 AM
OK I hate to say this, but, if you remember, Ben looked good last preseason too---he'd play one great series a game and then get taken out. I'm not saying he won't have a great year, I think he will, but to say that he looked like crap last preseason is flat out wrong.

To say he is new man after three passes (albeit the 55 yarder was beautiful) is just stupid.

absolutely!!

Ben did play well last preseason but he did'nt play enough, as Counselor pointed out. Now I'm sure it was more to do with the accident but I definetely think he needs to play more this preseason. I know it probably won't be next game but by the 3rd game he should play at least a few series.

Nevertheless I am very pleased with how the Offense looked.

DACEB
08-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Does this mean that we have to play all the games now and not just give the Patsies the SB trophy in August??

The Patsies will be wishing that they were just given the SB trophy in Aug. come Dec. 9th!!

TackleMeBen
08-07-2007, 12:20 PM
i want to see how he reacts after playing a few series against the ravens.. if he can bounce back after that, then i will be like yes he is back to form and possibly a chance at the superbowl.

but you cant say he is back after he only played on series in a preseason game. and everyone on here knows that i am a big fan of bens.. but i want to see him take a hit and get back up and throw it down field ... but that pass was beautiful.

SteelerManDanTeix
08-07-2007, 12:36 PM
ya know the funny thing about ben is last year, before he went out and was smashed on by a car, he was workin with the recievers getting pumped for the season. well this season he started even sooner I think it was said he started working out with his recievers in January. He is very driven and focused and needs to be in a offense where he actually can pass the ball on first and second down instead of obvious pass situations like he had done last season well sure the accident and the appendectomy didnt help but his main issue was, not to see anything bad about the future HOF, but I think Cowher just wasnt driven last season and it seems as if the teams offense just was run right Roethlisbeger was put in so many bad situations last year that it was terrible it all went back to cowher continuing his run first game plan and parker isant a powerback so it failed. Sorry it is so long but in my opinion the truth.

BettisFan
08-07-2007, 12:40 PM
big ben is ready to explode under tomlin

steelpride12
08-07-2007, 01:16 PM

Not really he had many 3 and out drives like the first against the Cards last year. I think so far this year he looks relaxed, comfortable, and he is actuallly settng his feet before he throws the ball so i think the old Ben is back! :tt02:

TackleMeBen
08-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Not really he had many 3 and out drives like the first against the Cards last year. I think so far this year he looks relaxed, comfortable, and he is actuallly settng his feet before he throws the ball so i think the old Ben is back! :tt02:

:iagree: i did notice that he was set before he threw that bomb to ced... man that was a beauty too.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Ok the national media cracks me up....They write articles and form opinions after last years terrible season for Ben that he is washed up and won't be any good anymore. Or he was just a system QB and blah blah...Now one series in the pre-season and they write this garbage.....

This is my opinion of Ben.....I always thought he had the potential to be great....I thought his first two years he played well but still had a ton of work to do to be a great QB......I throw last year out the window due to all the health issues....

As for what Ben to expect this year.....At worse I think we see the QB Ben was his first two years which was pretty good....But I have a feeling with this offense and him just maturing as QB that he takes his game to the next level.......I don't need the national media to help me think or form opinions.....I didn't even read the article....I just know its the usual trash the media writes...lol

Counselor
08-07-2007, 02:17 PM

Well, he only had one series--we'll see how many 3 and outs he has in the next few games--I hope none, but I soubt that.

As for his feet---I bet the new QB coach has something to do with that. From what I've read he seems to be all about mechanics.

HometownGal
08-07-2007, 02:28 PM
I have to go along with the consensus here - I'm not going to base my thoughts on what kind of season Ben is going to have based on 3 throws. However - I did sense a new kind of "swagger" in Ben during that short period of time and he oozed confidence with his reads and throws. We didn't see that confidence last season and understandably so, after everything he had to deal with in such a short period of time. Though Ken Anderson is an ex-Bungle, the guy was a very good QB and mentor in his day and his hiring as the Steelers QB coach may be just what the doctor ordered for Ben. I, too, believe that this season is going to be Ben's true breakout season and he's going to leave a lot of naysayers with the "O" face. :tt02:

TackleMeBen
08-07-2007, 03:01 PM
. Though Ken Anderson is an ex-Bungle, the guy was a very good QB and mentor in his day and his hiring as the Steelers QB coach may be just what the doctor ordered for Ben. I, too, believe that this season is going to be Ben's true breakout season and he's going to leave a lot of naysayers with the "O" face. :tt02:

HTG,

please lets not use the word doctor and ben in the same sentence... i think we did that enough last year:wink02:.....

QOL :flap:

SteelerFanInCA
08-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Good read, thanks for posting. :tt02: