PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Perception is different

FastWillieParker39
08-08-2007, 04:58 PM
After the Steelers won the SB in 05 when I talked to my football friends, they all said how the Steelers should make the playoffs and are now among the NFL's elite.

After this year though, I have all my football friends say how the Steelers won't do **** this year. They also say how the Bengals and Ravens have taken over the Steelers in the North?? These guys know there football too. Very intelligent at knowing football but this is where I laugh at them. The Bengals have made the playoffs ONCE this decade, and last year was the first year the Ravens made the playoffs since 03.

I don't get it I really don't. The Steelers made the playoffs in 01, 02, 04, and 05. 3 of those years they were division champs, two of those years they went to the AFC Champ. game and the one year they won the SB.

IMO, I still think the Steelers are above the Ravens and Bengals as a overall franchise. It just goes to show on how much one year changes everyone's perception.

The Duke
08-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Yeah, people hate us and disrespect us now. I like it, when we start beating the ravens and bengals everyone will shut up. There's not much we can do about those who think the steelers will do nothing until the season starts, but once we start winning games and placing ourselves at the top of the division they'll respect us.

BettisFan
08-08-2007, 05:39 PM
i cant wait till we kick *** this year and make all those ppl who say that go like wow!

Livinginthe past
08-08-2007, 05:47 PM
If its any consoltaion I am 'very intelligent at knowing football' and I know better than to write the Steelers off. :sofunny:

They've been good for a much longer period than either of their rivals - I have a feeling that the Bengals will crash and burn this year (not that I particularly want that to happen).

The Ravens remain the class of the AFCN until proven otherwise - they didnt just win the title division last year - they dominated it.

Elvis
08-08-2007, 06:03 PM
I have to agree with ya livininthepast about the Ravens dominating our division last season. And what will happen this upcoming season?... No one knows yet, but there is No Question in My Mind about who has the best franchise in our division and maybe in the NFL... It would have to be the Steelers. Do the math.. this team has proven year after year that they will be near the top most of the time and have never went very many years in between playoff runs...
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

BettisFan
08-08-2007, 06:09 PM
this season we will for sure be competing for the number 1 spot in our division with the ravens i think we got it this season! as long as we have no injuries!

FastWillieParker39
08-08-2007, 06:42 PM
The Ravens remain the class of the AFCN until proven otherwise - they didnt just win the title division last year - they dominated it.

I think the Ravens will go back to the way they were in 04 and 05 when McNair retires. Before McNair they couldn't make the playoffs and I think it might be a struggle when he retires. They will be re-building soon.

Edman
08-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Yeah, the Ravens won the division running away last year. But the year before they were in the pits or in the middle of the pack of the AFC. One great year, and now the Ravens are unstoppable world beaters. In the end, they did win the division, so they're the team to beat. But now they have a pretty big target on their backs.

The Bengals tied the Steelers last year, why are they considered contenders and the Steelers aren't? What I've heard this offseason:

"The Steelers are finished"
"Bengals and Ravens are the new cream of the crop"
"Ben was exposed as a fraud"
"You lost Cowher, you guys will suck this year"
"The Steelers are 3rd place at best"
"58-7"

Let the Bengals, Browns, and Ratbirds crow and cheer their "Ding Dong the witch is dead" cries. It's up to the Steelers to shut them up. They have to send a message to the rest of the division and the AFC this year. Tomlin has to prove to the critics that he was a worthy hire and not token, Ben has to prove to everyone that 2006 was a fluke, the WHOLE team has to prove that 2006 was a fluke. Until then, critics will continue to rag on them.

Livinginthe past
08-08-2007, 07:19 PM
I think the Ravens will go back to the way they were in 04 and 05 when McNair retires. Before McNair they couldn't make the playoffs and I think it might be a struggle when he retires. They will be re-building soon.

They will probably can the 'young QB' experiment and pick up another vet QB to keep them competitive after McNair retires.

This team is good enough to win it all if they can get solid QB talent.

Livinginthe past
08-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Yeah, the Ravens won the division running away last year. But the year before they were in the pits or in the middle of the pack of the AFC. One great year, and now the Ravens are unstoppable world beaters. In the end, they did win the division, so they're the team to beat. But now they have a pretty big target on their backs.

The Bengals tied the Steelers last year, why are they considered contenders and the Steelers aren't? What I've heard this offseason:

"The Steelers are finished"
"Bengals and Ravens are the new cream of the crop"
"Ben was exposed as a fraud"
"You lost Cowher, you guys will suck this year"
"The Steelers are 3rd place at best"
"58-7"

Let the Bengals, Browns, and Ratbirds crow and cheer their "Ding Dong the witch is dead" cries. It's up to the Steelers to shut them up. They have to send a message to the rest of the division and the AFC this year. Tomlin has to prove to the critics that he was a worthy hire and not token, Ben has to prove to everyone that 2006 was a fluke, the WHOLE team has to prove that 2006 was a fluke. Until then, critics will continue to rag on them.

I certainly don't regard the Ravens as 'unbeatable' - a team with a good offense that uis capable of getting ahead early will cause the Ravens alot of trouble - if they can back that up with decent D I think the Ravens will struggle.

BettisFan
08-08-2007, 07:28 PM
the ravens o will really be bad this year with an old qb in mcnair, no really good wr besides mark clayton who is average and they have an ok rb in willis

Livinginthe past
08-08-2007, 07:41 PM
the ravens o will really be bad this year with an old qb in mcnair, no really good wr besides mark clayton who is average and they have an ok rb in willis

Ya maybe. But their D is dominant.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-08-2007, 07:48 PM
I see the Ravens aregument,they have one of the best defenses in the NFL.

However,since the NFL went to four divisions,nobody has one the AFC North in consecutive years...and the Steelers and Ravens are the only teams to win the division more than once...and the Steelers have won the division msot of any with three AFC North titles.

However,I do not see the Bungholes argument at all.In 2005 they finished 11-5...so did we.In 2006 they finished 8-8,so did we.They have done nothing to improve thier horrid defense.They can win a shootout,but they can just as easily lose one too.

I think we're good enough to win the division and another Super Bowl this year.

FastWillieParker39
08-08-2007, 07:57 PM
I see the Ravens aregument,they have one of the best defenses in the NFL.

However,since the NFL went to four divisions,nobody has one the AFC North in consecutive years...and the Steelers and Ravens are the only teams to win the division more than once...and the Steelers have won the division msot of any with three AFC North titles.

However,I do not see the Bungholes argument at all.In 2005 they finished 11-5...so did we.In 2006 they finished 8-8,so did we.They have done nothing to improve thier horrid defense.They can win a shootout,but they can just as easily lose one too.

I think we're good enough to win the division and another Super Bowl this year.

That loss to them last year was a fluke! Freakin Coughligh!!!! We had that game but as soon as he makes a dumb*** move and the Bengals take over the momentum.

Smashmouth225
08-08-2007, 08:02 PM
We are solid team and I like the underdog role. Makes the team a whole lot hungrier. We are going to cause big problems to the league this year.

HometownGal
08-08-2007, 09:04 PM
They've been good for a much longer period than either of their rivals - I have a feeling that the Bengals will crash and burn this year (not that I particularly want that to happen).

Sadly, I must agree with you regarding the Rats. The Steelers are the only ones who can remove the shadow of doubt that has besieged them this season and the best way to do that is to win those very important games against their division rivals, or at the very least, go 4 out of 6.

CantStop85
08-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Winning division games will be very tough all around this year. All 4 teams have shown significant signs of improvement. I think if any team takes a step back this year it will be the Ravens, but even then they would be a very good team.

I think you'll see a lot of split series in the AFCN. The steelers, bengals, and ravens could be splitting all around. And if the browns can win one or two division games, that just throws a monkey wrench into the whole picture.

Crushzilla
08-08-2007, 09:55 PM
A few points to consider:

1.) We DO have a rookie HC. I can't really disagree with our poor projections because the coaching staff was almost TOTALLY rebuilt. New coaches and a new playbook generally do not result in a Super Bowl that first year.

2.) The Ravens deserve the credit. They are the defensing champs. We've already discussed the Bengals in the media this offseason making outrageous claims, like they are the team to beat. Maybe people are starting to believe the hype.

3.) Why do all the analysts, etc. say we had a bad season last year (which wasn't even THAT terrible)? Ben. If you look at it from that perspective. That Roethlisberger, our francise QB, was probably a "flash in the pan," as I've heard him be called, then you can begin to see why people think we are finished.

4.) I call this one the Yankee disorder. People love to see storied franchises crash and burn. When consistencies in sports are no longer consistent THAT is headline news. It is not normal for a guy to hit 73 home runs in a season, it is not normal for the Yankees to be absolutely awful, it is not normal for a Wild Card team to win the Super Bowl. Do you remember how "done" all the talking heads said the Steelers were after they went into a skid toward the end of the '05 regular season? Now do you remember how "amazing" the Steelers were once they knocked off the Colts? People were giving them the Championship before the Bronco game because people love those rarities. Hell, if I remember correctly, we, A SIXTH seed, were favored over a ONE seed in XL.

The Patriots and the Steelers are resented by a lot of NFL fans because of how successful they have been over the last handful of seasons. People also hate Peyton Manning. Why? He's never been in trouble. He's always played really well. He's been a pretty classy guy (and one hell of a commercial actor), but A LOT of people hate him because, and most won't admit it, he is sick.

The Steelers fell of the horse on '06 and every sports columnist from Maine to Mexico City COULDN'T be happier. Now for the death blow in '07. New coach, struggling QB, E-T-C, E-T-C. "The Steelers are licked."

Forget those people. You saw how driven this team is in Canton. The Steelers don't have rebuilding years. A rebuilding year for the Steelers is like drafting Houshpotato in your fantasy league... "Chaaampionship." Some of you won't get that reference...

Just remember, it is very satisfying come February to say... "Told ya so."

Stlrs4Life
08-08-2007, 10:17 PM

1.) We DO have a rookie HC. I can't really disagree with our poor projections because the coaching staff was almost TOTALLY rebuilt. New coaches and a new playbook generally do not result in a Super Bowl that first year.

2.) The Ravens deserve the credit. They are the defensing champs. We've already discussed the Bengals in the media this offseason making outrageous claims, like they are the team to beat. Maybe people are starting to believe the hype.

3.) Why do all the analysts, etc. say we had a bad season last year (which wasn't even THAT terrible)? Ben. If you look at it from that perspective. That Roethlisberger, our francise QB, was probably a "flash in the pan," as I've heard him be called, then you can begin to see why people think we are finished.

4.) I call this one the Yankee disorder. People love to see storied franchises crash and burn. When consistencies in sports are no longer consistent THAT is headline news. It is not normal for a guy to hit 73 home runs in a season, it is not normal for the Yankees to be absolutely awful, it is not normal for a Wild Card team to win the Super Bowl. Do you remember how "done" all the talking heads said the Steelers were after they went into a skid toward the end of the '05 regular season? Now do you remember how "amazing" the Steelers were once they knocked off the Colts? People were giving them the Championship before the Bronco game because people love those rarities. Hell, if I remember correctly, we, A SIXTH seed, were favored over a ONE seed in XL.

The Patriots and the Steelers are resented by a lot of NFL fans because of how successful they have been over the last handful of seasons. People also hate Peyton Manning. Why? He's never been in trouble. He's always played really well. He's been a pretty classy guy (and one hell of a commercial actor), but A LOT of people hate him because, and most won't admit it, he is sick.

The Steelers fell of the horse on '06 and every sports columnist from Maine to Mexico City COULDN'T be happier. Now for the death blow in '07. New coach, struggling QB, E-T-C, E-T-C. "The Steelers are licked."

Forget those people. You saw how driven this team is in Canton. The Steelers don't have rebuilding years. A rebuilding year for the Steelers is like drafting Houshpotato in your fantasy league... "Chaaampionship." Some of you won't get that reference...

Wow! How do I follow that! That is a great post. Totally agree.

FastWillieParker39
08-08-2007, 10:24 PM

Amen brother!

Edman
08-09-2007, 09:27 AM
We DO have a rookie HC. I can't really disagree with our poor projections because the coaching staff was almost TOTALLY rebuilt. New coaches and a new playbook generally do not result in a Super Bowl that first year.

Maybe not, but do not deny the probability of success with a new coach and revamped coaching staff. Who would've thought Sean Payton would turn the Saints from celler dwellers to NFC contenders in his first year? They were one game from the Super Bowl as well.

steelpride12
08-09-2007, 10:42 AM
No one likes our steelers it's a way of life there is something about them people hate!(John Madden)

SteelerFanInCA
08-09-2007, 12:53 PM
It's simple, we beat the ratbirds and bungles and everyone shuts up. We basically need to take control of the division again.

Edman
08-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Heres an example of this new Steeler perception...

A Browns fan put up a poll about Ben on a Minny Vikes board.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=63&F=1554#S=63&F=1554&T=816160

fansince'76
08-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Heres an example of this new Steeler perception...

A Browns fan put up a poll about Ben on a Minny Vikes board.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=63&F=1554#S=63&F=1554&T=816160

Sounds like the same bunk I've been hearing constantly about Ben since he's been in the league. Nothing new there.

Crushzilla
08-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Maybe not, but do not deny the probability of success with a new coach and revamped coaching staff. Who would've thought Sean Payton would turn the Saints from celler dwellers to NFC contenders in his first year? They were one game from the Super Bowl as well.

I agree with you one hundred percent. These were observations that most would consider when ranking us so low.

I think a coaching change was exactly what this team needed. Bill Cowher was great for us, but after he finally reached the zenith, he was comfortable, satisfied, it seems.

Tomlin is hungry. He'll do everything he can to get there.

rog
08-10-2007, 05:57 PM
The Ravens are def. the favorite going into the season but I think we are going to see a different Ravens team on offense. They are not going to line up and play smashmouth football like they did when Jamal Lewis was there. Magahee (if that's how you spell it) is a different type of back than their use too. He has already been injuried a bit in the past. I look for them to try some of the stuff that Beilick did in Minnesota. That means they are going to throw the ball more which in turn will put more pressure on Mcnair to stay healthy, at his age that's going to be hard.I'm not sure who they have as back up running backs but Magahee isn't a power guy. Their season rides on thoughs 2 staying healthy.

steelpride12
08-10-2007, 10:59 PM
The Ravens are def. the favorite going into the season but I think we are going to see a different Ravens team on offense. They are not going to line up and play smashmouth football like they did when Jamal Lewis was there. Magahee (if that's how you spell it) is a different type of back than their use too. He has already been injuried a bit in the past. I look for them to try some of the stuff that Beilick did in Minnesota. That means they are going to throw the ball more which in turn will put more pressure on Mcnair to stay healthy, at his age that's going to be hard.I'm not sure who they have as back up running backs but Magahee isn't a power guy. Their season rides on thoughs 2 staying healthy.

I agree, but i still think they will be the same team on offense. Def. by watching their pre-season games man Lewis and Suggs just won't let up and i think if they keep the same D they will still be a team to mess with, but i still think with the new Ben back that we can win.

Preacher
08-11-2007, 05:48 AM
You all know what I love the most...

The idiocy that was said about Bradshaw....

Is now being said about Roethlisberger...

Fine with me... Ahem... maybe it is time to order a new trophy case.

Galax Steeler
08-11-2007, 07:20 AM
I can see the ravens slipping a little on offense but there d will still be good I think we are up to the challenge.