PDA

View Full Version : barlow to be canned?

delhess
08-08-2007, 07:48 PM
not trying to jump the gun, but today on sirius "movin the chains", it was mentioned in passing that they do not feel that barlow will make the cut w/ Willie Parker, Verron Haynes, Najeh Davenport, and the impressive performance by Davis the other night.

that reflects my impressions in recent days and weeks, as barlow has made headlines in his move to pittsburgh. the NFL is always about the future, never the past.

what do you think? am i way off base here?

BettisFan
08-08-2007, 07:54 PM
he is done we have to many guys that will make the cut this year

Edman
08-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Davis, Najeh, and Russell had pretty good performances. This wouldn't be so much of a problem, except Barlow did not help his case too much himself. He looked slow with no pop whatsoever.

The Duke
08-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Seems likely he'll be cut, I never wanted him anyway, but hopefully he''ll find someplace to go

Crushzilla
08-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Eaaaarly.

Maybe he will be cut, but I can't believe that, as a veteran, he won't get a few more legitimate chances in the next four games.

When this is all said and done it may be very clear that Barlow belongs and Davis had one long screen catch in one game.

To be honest, I would love to see Russell make this team and be a legitimate producer, but I'm open to any 2-3 guys that can cut the mustard behind Willie.

HometownGal
08-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Quite honestly, I haven't seen enough of Barlow in the black and gold to render a fair opinion as to whether he should stick around or be given the heave ho. I really think Tomlin will give him one or two more games to evaluate his performance and worth to the team before deciding one way or the other.

ChronoCross
08-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Canned is a good word for barlow. A can on flat level surface can move faster, and over players better then Granny Barlow. There was more hype in a old folks home when a women won at checkers then what Barlow can make on the field. He is finished.

Hines86Ward
08-08-2007, 09:51 PM
It was one preseason game, and Barlow is a proven veteran, so I'm gonna wait & see what he does in the next games before I pass judgement on him.

TommyG
08-08-2007, 10:26 PM
I say give him the ball in the preseason and see what he can really do....Better now then coming out of the endzone in week one...If he even gets that far

Stlrs4Life
08-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Barlow will not make the team. He was brought in as a favor more than likely to play for his home town team.

C-BusSteeler
08-08-2007, 10:52 PM
crazy how a guy can be a number one back on one team and not make the cut on another....if he does in fact get the boot

Tankus_Maximus
08-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Goodbye & Good Riddance!!

Don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split ya!!!

steelpride12
08-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Goodbye, and sorry to say, but im ok with him leaving.

fansince'76
08-09-2007, 11:06 AM
A little premature on Barlow to say he's gone already. There is, after all, still an entire preseason ahead of us.

ChronoCross
08-09-2007, 11:23 AM
A little premature on Barlow to say he's gone already. There is, after all, still an entire preseason ahead of us.

I do not know for sure if its premature are as to the fact he came into camps out of shape and slow. Are the fact he is the guy not keeping up with the others in camp. He is considered at the bottom amongst the RBs in camp.

If he is to make it. It would take some opening the eye of the coaches at camp, and to do some great stuff in there in the next 4 pre season games if he last that long.

stillhead
08-09-2007, 11:25 AM
did he play sunday against the saints? i only watched the 1st half but don't recall seeing him in there.

83-Steelers-43
08-09-2007, 11:39 AM
did he play sunday against the saints? i only watched the 1st half but don't recall seeing him in there.

Yes he did. He rushed for 13 yards on 7 carries. If I recall correctly, he came in on one play in the first half and played the majority of the time in the second half.

stillhead
08-09-2007, 11:42 AM
thanks. i found the box score and saw that. when they signed him i thought he would be a nice fit.

83-Steelers-43
08-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Personally, I was happy to see us pick up Barlow. I felt he would be a good addition to both Willie and Dookie. It's not like we were looking for a starting back. But from what I've seen up at Latrobe with my own eyes and from what I've heard/read from both Ed Bouchette and Paul Alexander, he's not looking good in camp.

While it may be too early to make the assumption that he will be cut, up to this point he's certainly making the decision easy for Tomlin and company.

ChronoCross
08-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Yes he did. He rushed for 13 yards on 7 carries. If I recall correctly, he came in on one play in the first half and played the majority of the time in the second half.

Ya that is right..

RUSHING ATT YDS AVG LG TD
C DAVIS 7 68 9.7 56 0
G RUSSELL 8 41 5.1 11 0
L CROOM 6 29 4.8 8 0
N DAVENPOR 6 14 2.3 7 1
K BARLOW 7 13 1.9 4 0
V HAYNES 1 7 7.0 7 0
B RANDALL 2 1 0.5 2 0

BettisFan
08-09-2007, 12:06 PM
wow we had alot of guys run that game

SteelerFanInCA
08-09-2007, 12:47 PM
It's way too early to make any judgement on Barlow. I'm going to at least let the preseason finish before I formulate any kind of opinion on him.

onthebus36
08-09-2007, 01:23 PM
I wasn't terribly impressed with Barlow in the Saints game but he really wasn't on the field much. With FWP not playing this weekend, Barlow, Dookie, Verron, and the other backs will get a chance to show their stuff.

Virginia Steeler
08-09-2007, 02:21 PM
I don't think he'll make the team....I'd rather see them take a chance on a young guy.

delhess
08-09-2007, 02:59 PM
I don't think he'll make the team....I'd rather see them take a chance on a young guy.

my feelings also.

it is premature to say he is canned. i am only suggesting that it looks likely, always looking to the future, he would have to prove that he is competitive w/ the young guys. average running backs are throwaways in this league. only the great ones survive very long.

Hamer
08-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Well it seems like the consensus here, and I agree: I don't like Barlow's chances to make it.
I do like Barlow though (based on the past alone, and the hometown angle). One thing he does have in his favor is his catching. If we are really tending to a more pass-happy type of offense this year it would increase his chances to make the team.
What Davis has going for him (besides youth, potential, and what looks like great running ability) is that he can also play Fullback- The Steelers need to have someone back up Krieder besides tight ends.
So maybe the choice at running back would be some kind of indictator for what direction the offense is really going in- pass or run... whadda you think?