PDA

View Full Version : Haggans to see double-duty

83-Steelers-43
08-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Steelers' Haggans to see double-duty
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, August 10, 2007

Outside linebacker Clark Haggans is a fixture on special teams again.

He was a major contributor on special teams and as a backup linebacker during his first four seasons. However, he was limited to occasional special-teams duty the past three seasons after becoming a starter.

Under new coach Mike Tomlin, Haggans is doing double-duty as a starting linebacker and as a starter on special teams.

"I played four years just straight special teams, being the captain and all that other stuff," Haggans said. "Being back on special teams kind of brings you back to your roots.

"Coach just wants to put out who he feels comfortable with on the field. It's a big compliment to me because I'm out there on defense, and I'm going to be out there on special teams."
Haggans, who's entering the final year of his contract, already has played both outside linebacker spots, along with special teams, in training camp.

"I'm not going to be one of those guys who says, 'this is what I do.' If I need to kick the ball, I'll do it. If I gotta help mix the Gatorade before practice, whatever it takes to win, I'm willing to do it."

Life helps Haggans keep football in perspective.

Haggans' infant daughter, Alianna Marie, was released recently from a Las Vegas hospital and permitted to come home for the first time after she was born prematurely with a life-threatening ailment.

"She's doing great. She's up to six pounds. I'm blessed," Haggans said. "It makes it a whole lot easier, and it just takes a lot of weight off my back."

MARVEL'S TURN: Left tackle Marvel Smith sat out yesterday's shortened practice. Tomlin has rested starters during camp and, given the length of yesterday's practice, it was an opportunity for Smith to sit out.

The Steelers don't practice today, but Smith is expected to start against Green Bay.

BUSY HOLMES: Wide receiver Santonio Holmes is taking snaps as a starter and as a backup, as the coaching staff attempts to catch him up after he missed significant time early in camp.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_521463.html

jjpro11
08-10-2007, 12:27 AM
i know starters dont usually play ST because of the injury risk, the pats of course being the exception. if he can really help out the special teams, then im all for it. good to hear his daughter is doing better. maybe it will help his performance with less stress now.

Galax Steeler
08-10-2007, 02:55 AM
It sounds like holmes is playing catch up he will be ready when season starts.I like haggans he is a solid player.

The Duke
08-10-2007, 07:06 AM
I like it, could mean that he spends time as linebacker, but not so much as before so Woodley is in there replacing him

steelpride12
08-10-2007, 10:16 PM
I like it, could mean that he spends time as linebacker, but not so much as before so Woodley is in there replacing him

Yes wood is taking the job, but thanks haggans for being a great LB for us! :tt02:

Preacher
08-11-2007, 04:35 AM
Haggans' infant daughter, Alianna Marie, was released recently from a Las Vegas hospital and permitted to come home for the first time after she was born prematurely with a life-threatening ailment.

"She's doing great. She's up to six pounds. I'm blessed," Haggans said. "It makes it a whole lot easier, and it just takes a lot of weight off my back."

Thank goodness.

I care about that more then anything else in the article.

PINDEL1
08-11-2007, 09:54 AM
A subtle msg has been sent to Haggans-IMO. When you go from starting LB to also playing ST late in your career you have reached your peak at your position. It also points out that the Steelers drafted Woodley specifically to take over for that position and they have struck gold with that pick. If Timmons ever comes thru and is a LB starter the Steelers are going to have one helluva of a defense because they are top notch at all positions.

Woodley is playing extremely well and sometime this year will split duties in the starting LB rotation. He is a rising star and I see potential pro bowl level of play in his future

If Haggans wants to remain on the roster next year it will be as a B/U LB and special teams player only. Haggans is a great person and has played well in the past but never at a pro bowl level as others had at his position.

SteelCityMan786
08-11-2007, 10:39 AM

I think you have to find a way to play Haggans. So right now, good idea on ST for them. Hopefully no injuries in case he still needs to start on D.

rog
08-11-2007, 10:52 AM
You gotta give it up to Haggans for being a standup guy and teammate. The guy is taking a chance on his future by doing what he feels is the right thing to do. He is not being selfish and worring about his contract (IE. ALAN FANECA) I think that is very refreshing.

I'm very happy to her his little girl is doing well, could not imagine what that might have been like for him and is family.