PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to stay at LB?

dunkuntou
08-10-2007, 12:41 AM
This is an interesting scenario on who to keep at linebacker. Cowher always liked to keep 8 but I was figuring this year with the addition of the Cover-2 and the 4-3 that maybe we would keep 7 but could we actually see 9???

I know that thats a lot and I doubt that it will happen but from what I have been hearing is that Marquis Cooper has been playing really well, especially on special teams. So does he take Boo Wallace's spot? Does he even make the team?

I truly doubt we see 9 linebackers...but it did cross my mind (most due to Timmons injury).

Who does everyone think we should keep for the linebacking corp this year?

BettisFan
08-10-2007, 12:58 AM
timmons will be back

Galax Steeler
08-10-2007, 03:56 AM
You know woodley and timmons will be there.

Preacher
08-10-2007, 04:33 AM
You know woodley and timmons will be there.

If Timmons groin keeps being a problem...

I wouldn't even be shocked if he hits IR for the year, leaving a place for another LB.

possibility... about 2 percent. But i wouldn't be shocked.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-10-2007, 05:30 AM
You will obviously see the starters...Harrison/Foote/Farrior/Haggans.
The two rookies....Timmons/Woodley

That leaves Cooper, Harrison (Arnold), Kriewaldt, Seigler, Stanley, and Wallace, plus a handful of UDFA's
Some of those guys had better take a look at Cooper and shoot for a start on STs

DACEB
08-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Seigler is long gone LLT, he's pimping out some guy in the pen!

SteelFist
08-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Timmons, Woodley, Haggans, Foote, Farrior, J. Harrison, Wallace, and Kriewaldt. I don't see anyone else making the team.

mental.apparition
08-10-2007, 01:48 PM
My guess...

Woodley, Timmons, Haggans, Foote, Farrior, J. Harrison, Wallace and A. Harrison.

Cover 2 is not an "addition" for this team. They ran cover 2 before Tomlin's arrival and I'm not sure exactly how this would affect the LB roster.

The Steelers are not changing to a base 4-3 this year so that is no factor on the LB roster.

onthebus36
08-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Cover 2 is not an "addition" for this team. They ran cover 2 before Tomlin's arrival and I'm not sure exactly how this would affect the LB roster.

Funny you mention that. I saw Dungy talking about the "Tampa Two" the media gives him credit for "inventing" and he said all he did was apply what he learned from Chuck Noll when he was in Pittsburgh.

mental.apparition
08-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Funny you mention that. I saw Dungy talking about the "Tampa Two" the media gives him credit for "inventing" and he said all he did was apply what he learned from Chuck Noll when he was in Pittsburgh.

Tampa Two denotes the entire defense while Cover 2 denotes DB coverage. Steelers use cover 2 in their pass defense arsenal.

Dungy is correct in his giving of credit. The Steelers of the 70s ran the 4-3 cover 2 better than anybody else. Dungy didn't invent it. He did tweak it somewhat and of course the media has sold it as the Tampa 2.

Since Tomlin's arrival there has been much speculation on whether the Steelers would move to a 4-3 cover 2 type base defense. They may but not this year.

As it is the Steelers run many of the same concepts in their nickel packages with 4 DL. It's just the steelers typically use 2 LB with the hand down and move the DEs inside. Versus 2 DT + 2 DE in traditional 4 man fronts.

rog
08-10-2007, 04:42 PM
If Timmons groin keeps being a problem...

I wouldn't even be shocked if he hits IR for the year, leaving a place for another LB.

possibility... about 2 percent. But i wouldn't be shocked.

I would think that it is way too early to think about that. At the same time though it would be nice to see him actually play. Timmons is starting to remind me of Duce hanging out in sweats all the time.

steelpride12
08-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Ya i think we will have round 8 and it being Farrior, Foote, Haggans, J Harrison, Wood, Timmons, Kriewaltd, and A Harrison.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Ya i think we will have round 8 and it being Farrior, Foote, Haggans, J Harrison, Wood, Timmons, Kriewaltd, and A Harrison.

I hope that Rian Wallace can play some inside backer and get Kriedwalt off of the team. He's getting old and rarely contributes anymore.

The Duke
08-11-2007, 01:58 PM
I hope that Rian Wallace can play some inside backer and get Kriedwalt off of the team. He's getting old and rarely contributes anymore.

Cutting Kriewaldt would be nice, another roster spot available. And Chidi is a better special teamer anyway

ricksteelers55
08-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Id keep Wallace before Kriedwaldt.

Woodley,Farrior,Foote,J.Harrison are going to start I think

Wallace,A.Harrison,Timmons,Haggans the backups

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Id keep Wallace before Kriedwaldt.

Woodley,Farrior,Foote,J.Harrison are going to start I think

Wallace,A.Harrison,Timmons,Haggans the backups

Thats who I see being our linebacking unit.

Crushzilla
08-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Have they hinted that they won't be starting Haggans?

I would be really surprised. I don't know if we;ll be seeing one of the rooks starting before midseason or so. Unless I missed an article or press conference...