PDA

View Full Version : Ben's goal is to win 5 Super Bowls

The Duke
08-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Ben Roethlisberger doesn't think small. Never has. Never will.

Latest example: In a recent interview with Steelers Digest, the Steelers' fourth-year quarterback said his goal is to win five Super Bowls.

Four's no good. Other guys have done that.

"They asked me my dream," Roethlisberger said, "and I said it would be to get five, because that's one more than (Terry) Bradshaw, and, you know, one more than most other quarterbacks."

Actually, the only other quarterback to win four was Joe Montana. Roethlisberger's smile indicated he knows as much.

His dream, to be sure, is not terribly realistic. To some, it might seem as delusional as Kordell Stewart's long-ago guarantee that he would wind up in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

But in Roethlisberger's case, there is nothing wrong with setting the bar at a record height. He has earned the right to do so publicly.

Remember, Roethlisberger already has visited places no quarterback had gone before.

Nobody in the 87-year history of the NFL had a higher rookie completion percentage (66.4).

Nobody had ever gone 13-0 until Roethlisberger did so in 2004.

And only Montana, Phil Simms and Troy Aikman had better three-game playoff passer ratings than the 125.8 mark Roethlisberger posted two years ago, when the Steelers won at Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Denver on their way to Super Bowl XL.

Then, amid a flurry of extenuating circumstances, he had a bad year.

Opinions of him changed.

Sports Illustrated's Peter King, for example, recently ranked Roethlisberger 17th among NFL quarterbacks, behind the likes of Jon Kitna, Jay Cutler, Chad Pennington, Jake Delhomme and 37-year-old Brett Favre, who apparently wants to play longer than George Blanda.

Roethlisberger insists stuff like that doesn't motivate him. The bad year apparently did, though. During the offseason, he added a film room to his house.

"One, it's because I'd like to go home and be in my element, where I can sit down there in the movie room and eat dinner while I watch it; it's always going," Roethlisberger said. "And, two, it doubles as a movie room, so I can watch movies."

The video of Saturday's preseason game against the Green Bay Packers won't make for pleasant viewing. Roethlisberger came out running the no-huddle offense -- the offense he has lobbied for -- and accomplished virtually nothing on two series.

The first ended with a Roethlisberger fumble on the third play, when Packers defensive end Cullen Jenkins beat Marvel Smith and knocked the ball from the quarterback's grasp.

The second ended on the fifth play when Najeh Davenport -- who is built like a short-yardage back but has shown little proclivity for the job -- was stuffed on third-and-1.

That was it for Big Ben. He finished 2 for 2 for 14 yards behind a re-shuffled offensive line that was missing guard Alan Faneca.

Nothing gained. Nothing lost. No need to worry. Remember how well the no-huddle worked in a preseason game against Minnesota last year? That didn't exactly translate.

The Steelers have given Roethlisberger everything he needs to succeed -- continuity, in the form of offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, ample weaponry and the keys to the offense.

The rest is up to him. And at this point in his still-young career, all things remain possible.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_521840.html

The Duke
08-11-2007, 11:20 PM
That's the positive thinking you want in your starting QB. Go Ben!!

BettisFan
08-11-2007, 11:24 PM
man do i love big ben!!! i know we will atleast win another sb with him!!

RoethlisBURGHer
08-11-2007, 11:56 PM
If he can do it,I'll be so estatic.

Preacher
08-12-2007, 12:34 AM
What I really like is the film room in his house!

MACH1
08-12-2007, 12:50 AM
Hopefully all the doubters has given him that little bit of extra motivation. And I hope he does accomplish his dreams with 5 sb's WITH the Steelers.

ChronoCross
08-12-2007, 01:39 AM
This part I like;

The Steelers have given Roethlisberger everything he needs to succeed

Hmm. Wonder when there going to give him a O Line. So far were giving up sacks in Pre season to 1st string def and there 2nd string defenses. If they do not fix that O Line problem, then Ben will be on his back dang near 50 times this coming season. Ya its pre season who cares, but looking at a O Line who is in deep battles for position and there still giving up sacks. So once they give Ben a O Line then I could agree to that comment. We will see more shuffle this next week. Hope they work it out.

Preacher
08-12-2007, 01:47 AM
This part I like;

The Steelers have given Roethlisberger everything he needs to succeed

Hmm. Wonder when there going to give him a O Line. So far were giving up sacks in Pre season to 1st string def and there 2nd string defenses. If they do not fix that O Line problem, then Ben will be on his back dang near 50 times this coming season. Ya its pre season who cares, but looking at a O Line who is in deep battles for position and there still giving up sacks. So once they give Ben a O Line then I could agree to that comment. We will see more shuffle this next week. Hope they work it out.

I am not worried about it.. remember that Tomlin messed with the O line purposely today.

Jeremy
08-12-2007, 01:51 AM
That's all great, but nowhere did I see him say he wanted to win them all in Pittsburgh.

rog
08-12-2007, 09:02 AM
That's all great, but nowhere did I see him say he wanted to win them all in Pittsburgh.

I think you are reading to much into this. Remember athletes these days are only loyal to their team as long as the contract is big enough.

Jeremy
08-12-2007, 09:16 AM
I think you are reading to much into this. Remember athletes these days are only loyal to their team as long as the contract is big enough.

Exactly. So people shouldn't get too excited over what he's saying.

Atlanta Dan
08-12-2007, 10:58 AM
What I really like is the film room in his house!

You will note that it "doubles" as a movie room.

Call me cynical, but IMO that room gets a lot more use showing movies than game film; Ben does not impress me as having Peyton-like devotion to watching game film

X-Terminator
08-12-2007, 11:15 AM
You will note that it "doubles" as a movie room.

Call me cynical, but IMO that room gets a lot more use showing movies than game film; Ben does not impress me as having Peyton-like devotion to watching game film

Maybe so, but it shows that he at least cares enough about his craft to devote time to watching game film in his house, which BTW was one of the things people knocked him for prior to this season - his work ethic and attention to detail.

Atlanta Dan
08-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Maybe so, but it shows that he at least cares enough about his craft to devote time to watching game film in his house, which BTW was one of the things people knocked him for prior to this season - his work ethic and attention to detail.

Well the question is whether he just wants everyone to know he installed a "film room" or is actually using it for that purpose. You can get a lot more work or studying done at the office or library than you can at home - if he really wants to break down film he can stay after practice and watch it at the Steelers' facilities with Arians or Anderson.

Ben installing the "film room"/home theater reminds me of all the folks who want to lose weight and buy a Soloflex that sits in the garage or attic.

SteelCityMan786
08-12-2007, 11:23 AM

I like how he is thinking, but I'm also wanting him to show us on the field to.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-12-2007, 11:25 AM
You just have to understand X...No matter what Ben does or says he will always have someone constantly being critical of him......Plus thats part of being a starting QB in the NFL......Its the nature of the beast....

Atlanta Dan
08-12-2007, 11:30 AM
You just have to understand X...No matter what Ben does or says he will always have someone constantly being critical of him......Plus thats part of being a starting QB in the NFL......Its the nature of the beast....

I do not think I am constantly critical of him - I am just suspicious of anyone who tells you how hard they are working rather than just works hard (we all have encountered those sorts of individuals at work).

Ben has developed a reputation among his teammates as a slacker. It is like when he says he wants to be the leader - deeds count, not words.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-12-2007, 11:34 AM
I do not think I am constantly critical of him - I am just suspicious of anyone who tells you how hard they are working rather than just works hard (we all have encountered those sorts of individuals at work).

Ben has developed a reputation among his teammates as a slacker. It is like when he says he wants to be the leader - deeds count, not words.

I wasn't saying you were Dan, let me clear that up....I was just saying people will always be critical of Ben since he is a starting QB in the NFL and is the starting QB of the Pittsburgh Steelers were Steelers fans can be hard on QBs....lol Just making the point thats the nature of the beast for starting QBs in the NFL.....I wasn't pointing fingers at you......:thumbsup:

Atlanta Dan
08-12-2007, 11:42 AM

Sharkissle29
08-12-2007, 12:47 PM
ben looks unbelievably comfortable this year when he drops back. expect him to be back in full force this year. hes gonna have a pro bowl type year.....you heard it here first :-P GO STEEEEEEELERS

Jman
08-12-2007, 01:00 PM
For anyone getting excited or upset about Preseason needs to think what Preseason is. As mentioned over the weekend, you might have a 20 blitz package, but only show 5 in the Preseason. You might only give a variation of looks from the offense, to not give away what you plan on doing. You can't give away what you plan on doing, not in this league. Since Tomlin wanted to shift things up on the O line, I'm sure there is an underlying purpose we are not privy to.

SteelDogFan
08-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Dan Marino and Jim Kelly had a goal to win one.

"Stay focused BigBen. Its harder then we all think. Some people believe just because their team made the playoffs they had a chance to win the superbowl. NOT TRUE, remember the Steelers are the only team to WIN the SB by winning ALL play-off games on the road.

He should have a goal to win one and then if he wins that, a goal to win one and so-on.

Stlrs4Life
08-12-2007, 04:43 PM
I think we all would be very elated if he turned it true.

Parker4.1
08-12-2007, 05:05 PM
One superbowl at a time Ben :coffee:

HometownGal
08-12-2007, 05:13 PM

Why not Jeremy? It shows me that he is committed to going that extra mile in trying to be the best he can be at his position. Nothing wrong with that. I like this new and improved 'tude of Ben's. He seems to have matured a lot since all of his perils last season, realizes that he controls his own destiny and that success isn't going to be handed to him on a silver platter, and is willing to put forth more of an effort not only towards being the Steelers' top dog at QB, but being a team leader in setting an example for the rooks and FA's coming in - I commend him for his efforts. :cheers::tt02:

siss
08-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Guys geeeez chill out!
He only said it was his dream. I'm sure you all have imagined yourself accomplishing incredible feats. Thats all Ben is doing. If Ben wins 5 rings we won't complain to much will we. in fact we might even stop complain if he does! But personally he's not to bad with the ONE ring he already has!
Give the guy a rest. Jesus Christ himself could not play Quarterback for the Steelers....someone would complain about something!

FastWillieParker39
08-12-2007, 05:35 PM
I think Ben will be with the Steelers almost or for his whole career. He loves it here in Pittsburgh and knows he is the franchise QB here. He also knows that Tomlin will most likely be the coach of the Steelers for a long time so Ben knows he has a great future here in Pittsburgh. Did you see the refrences he made to Bradshaw? That to me shows he wants to be better than Terry while he's here.

TackleMeBen
08-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Why not Jeremy? It shows me that he is committed to going that extra mile in trying to be the best he can be at his position. Nothing wrong with that. I like this new and improved 'tude of Ben's. He seems to have matured a lot since all of his perils last season, realizes that he controls his own destiny and that success isn't going to be handed to him on a silver platter, and is willing to put forth more of an effort not only towards being the Steelers' top dog at QB, but being a team leader in setting an example for the rooks and FA's coming in - I commend him for his efforts. :cheers::tt02:
:iagree: HTG.. i like the new attitude and the fact that he is trying to put forth more effort in helping the team be better than what it is. but it doesnt matter what he says b/c every word that comes out of his mouth will be over analized and turned around. i like the fact that he isnt trying to be a 'slacker'.

83-Steelers-43
08-12-2007, 11:28 PM
From tonight's Tribune Review......

What do you think of Ben Roethlisberger's goal of winning five Super Bowls?

He will do it - 13%

A couple more, but not five - 43%

He should stop taking off his helmet - 44%

Total Votes: 460

Nice to know I'm not the only crazy one. 44% at this point feel the same as me...lol. Obviously I would love to see it, but I don't see five in his future. Good attitude though.

Jeremy
08-12-2007, 11:34 PM

Here's my point. One day Roth will be a free agent. When that day comes, there's better than a 50/50 chance that he'll be leaving Pittsburgh to keep chasing those Super Bowl titles. So enjoy the new attitude, but temper that with the understanding that there's no guarantee that he'll still be in Pittsburgh when he wins all those Super Bowl titles.

vasteeler
08-13-2007, 11:04 AM
dont know about 5 sb's but i do think ben will retire a steeler:tt02:

Jeremy
08-13-2007, 11:05 AM
dont know about 5 sb's but i do think ben will retire a steeler:tt02:

Faith is damn good thing to have. But I've seen too many players come and go to hitch my wagon to one of them. I root for the uniform.