View Full Version : Rallying Packers Spoil Tomlin's Home Debut

SteelersFever
08-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Title: Rallying Packers Spoil Tomlin's Home Debut
Source: Steelers Fever
Date: 8/12/07
Author: Eddie Griffin

Link: http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/0742.html

Summary: After getting out to a 9-0 lead in the second quarter, it looked like the Steelers were well on their way to winning their preseason home opener and remaining undefeated in the preseason. But, it was not to be, as the Packers' backups rallied for a 13-9 win at Heinz Field last night.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-12-2007, 01:01 PM
It doesn't really matter that much.Our backups lost the game,not our starters.

The home debut that matters is against Buffalo.

The Duke
08-12-2007, 01:18 PM
I guess Dookie had an ok game against the team that threw him out. Nice read

OneForTheToe
08-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Typical preseason game .... some good and some bad.

First team D played well. First team offense was uneven. The backs and qb's played ok, but the line had problems. Run blocking was effective and they opened some holes, but poor pass blocking, particularly by the tackles.

The second team D did not play well. Of course, that second team D wasn't running much much but a vanilla D. Still, even the second team D should be more stout against the run.

The special teams were uneven again. Great punting, but too many mistakes on coverage late in the game.

Jman
08-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Typical preseason game .... some good and some bad.

...but poor pass blocking, particularly by the tackles....

Was Max Starks playing?

The Duke
08-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Was Max Starks playing?

he gave up 2 sacks. at left tackle, but still

Jman
08-12-2007, 02:10 PM
he gave up 2 sacks. at left tackle, but still

:dang::dang::dang:

ChronoCross
08-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Starks has given up sacks in both pre season games. No matter how the O line shifts. Starks given up sacks still is going to happen. Do we want to keep a healthy Ben for the season are do we want to wreck him. Starks is going to possible get are QBs hurt during the games. A change is needed.

Jman
08-12-2007, 02:49 PM
A change is needed.

Agreed!

delhess
08-12-2007, 02:56 PM
is willie colon a good replacement?

stillers4me
08-12-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm not worried. I have complete faith that Tomlin had a method for his madness last night and that the Steelers will be stronger and better for him mixing things up and seeing what some of these guys can do. He always talks about throwing adversity at them. It will all come together as he starts making the cuts. Oh, yeah.....he knew exactly what he was doing. We'll more than ready for the Brownies.

Edman
08-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Gotta take the good with the bad.

Just like how some said we can't get too excited about a preseason win, we can't panic over a preseason loss. That's what preseason is for. To work out the kinks and experiement

Besides that silly fumble, the 1st teamers played great. The backups lost this preseason game.

I am even more convinced that Max Starks is a liability rather than an asset. He's a regular turnstile.

HometownGal
08-12-2007, 05:57 PM

Just like how some said we can't get too excited about a preseason win, we can't panic over a preseason loss. That's what preseason is for. To work out the kinks and experiement

Besides that silly fumble, the 1st teamers played great. The backups lost this preseason game.

I am even more convinced that Max Starks is a liability rather than an asset. He's a regular turnstile.

Exactly - it was a preseason game, so I'm not all that upset about it. I'm more interested in what the first team units bring to the table, not what a bunch of guys rallying for position on the chopping block are doing. I'm not going to go so far as to say that Starks is a liability just yet - I'm going to wait until the end of preseason in the hope that he can get his kinks worked out and stop letting his man through the line. Ben is pretty mobile back there and 9 times out of 10 will get out of the pocket before Starks gets tornado'd.

SteelFist
08-12-2007, 06:14 PM

Yep. And there was both. We have to remember that alot of the bad won't be a part of the 53 man roster come September.

I'm really impressed with Gary Russell, Walter Young, Holmes and Colon.

rbryan
08-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Can't get too upset about the final outcome, especially when you consider the Packers played the guy who should be thier number one QB the majority of the game. (Favre needs to do the team a favor and retire)

Gives Tomlin a reason to not let off the gas.