PDA

View Full Version : IMO, the first 5 games are VERY important

FastWillieParker39
08-12-2007, 09:57 PM
The Steelers need to get off a fast start this season in order to have a good chance to make the playoffs. I know I'll get the people who will say about how 2005 we got hot, well that's tough to come by when a team gets real hot at the end of the season and goes on a streak like the Steelers did in 05.

If we can start off 4-1 or 5-0 then we can really make some noise and have some momentum going into the bye week. Our schedule after that is hard with the first game at Denver. It would be real nice to be confident and have some momentum like I said.

I think we can start 5-0. The worst we can do is start 4-1. Just look at the schedule.....

At Browns........they don't even know who there QB will be and they still have oline issues even with drafting Thomas. Plus we own the Browns but they will be pumped to win that first game.

Buffalo..........lost a lot of players including McGahee. There QB, Losman IMO isn't that great.

San Fran...........tough game but still should win. We have more talent and should win

At Zona...........Good playmakers on offense that Wisenhunt will execute but there defense isn't that great. That's a game that scares me but on paper we should win.

Seattle...........they'll want revenge but last year they weren't a great team. If we can shut down Alexander, we shut down there offense IMO. It's a toss up but I think we can win it.

I think it's very realstic to start of 5-0, and if we can then I love our chances at a playoff spot :tt02:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-13-2007, 01:27 PM
I say that we go 4-1 the first five. I think that the Seattle game will be our first loss.

rbryan
08-13-2007, 01:30 PM
I say that we go 4-1 the first five. I think that the Seattle game will be our first loss.

Coach wants to see you, bring your playbook.

fansince'76
08-13-2007, 01:30 PM
I think that the Seattle game will be our first loss.

Since we have a number of vets still around from SB XL, if I'm Tomlin, I spend the entire week leading up to that game continually looping Fatso's whinefest about the officials on every available monitor within the training facility.

Atlanta Dan
08-13-2007, 01:35 PM
I agree 4-1 is a reasonable goal; in fact, less than that will make me doubt this team is playoff worthy.

Arizona on the road is a more likely loss than Seattle at home - how geeked up do you think Whiz & Grimm (and their players) will be to stick it to the Rooneys?

steelpride12
08-13-2007, 01:49 PM
I agree 4-1 is a reasonable goal; in fact, less than that will make me doubt this team is playoff worthy.

Arizona on the road is a more likely loss than Seattle at home - how geeked up do you think Whiz & Grimm (and their players) will be to stick it to the Rooneys?

Good point, but im sure if we really play like we want it we can beat both the Cards,and Seahawks.

HometownGal
08-13-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't discount any team from the NFC West. The 9'ers were beginning to "gel" at the end of the 2006 season, Alex Smith is coming into his own, they have a damned good RB in Gore and they beefed up their D, especially their secondary, via the draft and FA. I'm also not going to guarantee a win against the Cards - that team is only going to get better, especially since they addressed their major weakness in the NFL draft -their OL. They have the tools to give the Hawks a run for their money in the NFCW. The Hawks - they are very unpredictable and I never take them lightly - a vengeful team can be a very dangerous team.

If we can go 4-1 in that stretch of 5 games, I'll gladly take it, but I'm not comfy with predicting it at this point in the preseason.

Jman
08-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Since we have a number of vets still around from SB XL, if I'm Tomlin, I spend the entire week leading up to that game continually looping Fatso's whinefest about the officials on every available monitor within the training facility.

Absolutely. Morning wake up call is Holmgren saying that their played against the refs. I'm going to this game so I'm excited!

Preacher
08-13-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't discount any team from the NFC West. The 9'ers were beginning to "gel" at the end of the 2006 season, Alex Smith is coming into his own, they have a damned good RB in Gore and they beefed up their D, especially their secondary, via the draft and FA. I'm also not going to guarantee a win against the Cards - that team is only going to get better, especially since they addressed their major weakness in the NFL draft -their OL. They have the tools to give the Hawks a run for their money in the NFCW. The Hawks - they are very unpredictable and I never take them lightly - a vengeful team can be a very dangerous team.

If we can go 4-1 in that stretch of 5 games, I'll gladly take it, but I'm not comfy with predicting it at this point in the preseason.

Your absolutely right. Furthermore, I have followed the Hawks for sometime, being that I grew up in Washington State. Seattle is NEVER a team to take lightly. they have good weapons, but have struggled to put everything together on a consistent bases.

We can beat them, but they can beat us as well. We need to play very well that day.

SCSTILLER
08-13-2007, 02:40 PM

Gotta agree with this assesment. Seattle, the 49ers, and possible the Cards can beat us. I think that we will win them all but the AZ game (just a gut feeling). We could easily be 2-3 in the beginning of the season (or any other record) but I don't think it will happen. I too will gladly take 4-1.

FastWillieParker39
08-14-2007, 12:48 PM
This is probably being a homer pick or whatever but I think we're more likely to go 4-1 than 2-3 in our first 5 games.

fansince'76
08-14-2007, 12:55 PM
This is probably being a homer pick or whatever but I think we're more likely to go 4-1 than 2-3 in our first 5 games.

Not at all - a homer pick would be 5-0 or 16-0 for the season. Big difference between being optimistic and being an unabashed homer.

SteelFist
08-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Coach wants to see you, bring your playbook.

Why don't you hang onto that for a few more months!

steelpride12
08-14-2007, 02:21 PM

Not a homer pick, it's a wise and good guess and i agree with it.

PINDEL1
08-14-2007, 07:17 PM
I have cooled my outlook for the Steelers this year. All the teams in the Div. will be improved.
Very tough football games lay ahead. I am going to keep track of how many 3rd and 1, and 3rd and 2 we make this year. My gut tells me we need a big power back to get those yards and Davenport is iffy in this area. He needs to get a hell of lot lower when going in for those tough yards. I loved it when the Steelers had Bettis, Foster, Morris. ,, Those guys and the defense made the Steelers national folllowing come alive.

Playoffs - 50/50..... must at least split w/Ravens....They are legit contenders to repeat in the Div.
Cinn. will also be tough.

They need to play error free to make it.