PDA

View Full Version : Timmons remains a solitary Steeler

83-Steelers-43
08-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Timmons remains a solitary Steeler
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 13, 2007

The loneliest Steeler stood out like a neon sign during Saturday night's exhibition game against Green Bay.

While other players milled along the sideline, exchanging strategy and pleasantries with teammates and coaches, rookie linebacker Lawrence Timmons stood mostly alone.

It's difficult to feel sorry for Timmons, who agreed to a five-year contract worth as much as $15 million on the eve of training camp but hasn't played since July 26 because of injury. However, it looks like Timmons could use a friend.

Not to say Timmons, the No. 15 pick in the draft, isn't popular with his new teammates, but during one second-half sighting he was seen sitting next to a couple of kickers.

And you know what coaches say about kickers, who are considered necessary evils rather than football players.

Fellow linebacker LaMarr Woodley, a second-round pick, chatted briefly with Timmons. Rookies, of course, have to stick together.

Timmons' nagging groin injury is why he spent a lot of time walking by himself Saturday night.

An injured football player is a lonely player. And an injured first-round draft pick who's a lock to make the team without having to prove himself is downright invisible.

Of course, Timmons can change everyone's opinion when he finally re-takes the field and starts making some plays.

Until then, he will continue to have his skeptics, doubters who question his ability to distinguish between pain and injury.

Please don't call Timmons a bust. It's much too early for that.

Do call him an incredibly unfortunate kid who never missed a game in high school or college because of injury who suddenly can't stay healthy.

Timmons shouldn't be branded a failure until he's been pancaked at least a dozen times and has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's terrible in pass coverage.

The issue isn't whether Timmons can play. In time, he will make his mark.

Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to stay on the field long enough to show what he can do.

Timmons, a quiet type who doesn't like conveying his feelings to the media, probably didn't mind walking alone on the sideline during the Steelers' 13-9 loss.

"I don't want to speculate what maybe he's going through mentally," coach Mike Tomlin said Thursday.

Here's speculating that Timmons, who refuses to speak with reporters about the injury, will develop a chip on his shoulder the size of Heinz Field attempting to prove his critics wrong.

But first he needs a clean bill of health.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_521881.html

Preacher
08-12-2007, 11:18 PM
I like the fact that he has NEVER missed time, this is the first time ever he has been injured.

I agree.. I hope he gets that chip on his shoulder!

Jeremy
08-12-2007, 11:29 PM
There are a lot of people out there, and some of this message board, who doubt this kid's ability and think we should have taken a hige reach and drafted Paul Posluzny instead of Timmons. But will tell you that this kid is going to be special once he gets healed up. He's not injury prone like some of the hacks in the Pittsburgh media have claimed him to be. This is a one time thing and he will get over it and be a very good player for the Steelers.

tony hipchest
08-12-2007, 11:31 PM
but during one second-half sighting he was seen sitting next to a couple of kickers.

And you know what coaches say about kickers, who are considered necessary evils rather than football players.

sepulveda is bigger than simmons. thats gotta suck.

i still got high hopes. if woodley proves to be worth a 1st rounder and timmons a second, i guess its a wash.

83-Steelers-43
08-12-2007, 11:32 PM
He's not injury prone like some of the hacks in the Pittsburgh media have claimed him to be.

Fwiw, it's the "hacks in the Pittsburgh media" who are telling the fans in the Pittsburgh area to settle down and let the kid heal before calling him a bust. There are some (Bouchette being one of them), who are not comfortable with him missing the amount of time that he has missed (can't say I blame him), but that's far from calling him a bust. I have yet to read in the local papers or hear on the local sports radio/tv shows one Pittsburgh sports writer or personality call Timmons a bust.

Preacher
08-12-2007, 11:52 PM
There are a lot of people out there, and some of this message board, who doubt this kid's ability and think we should have taken a hige reach and drafted Paul Posluzny instead of Timmons. But will tell you that this kid is going to be special once he gets healed up.

I agree. People get hurt. We need to be patient with the kid. Hey, its not like he was going to start anyway. We want him to play. We want him to grow as a player. But you can't tell me that 6 months off of football, and then just running reps in the season won't be good for his body anyways. Gives all those small nagging injuries time to heal as well.

All in all.. I think we will end up with two very good LB's.

Preacher
08-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Fwiw, it's the "hacks in the Pittsburgh media" who are telling the fans in the Pittsburgh area to settle down and let the kid heal before calling him a bust. There are some (Bouchette being one of them), who are not comfortable with him missing the amount of time that he has missed (can't say I blame him), but that's far from calling him a bust. I have yet to read in the local papers or hear on the local sports radio/tv shows one Pittsburgh sports writer or personality call Timmons a bust.

And I was happy to read that as well.

Jeremy
08-13-2007, 12:19 AM
Tell you what, I trust Tomlin and LeBeau to know when the kid is ready to go. Hell, I'd rather hold a guy out if he has some kind of nagging injury than push him in to some meaningless preseason game or practices that could make the injury worse. While it's true that football players have to know how to play with pain, it's also true that these guys represent a pretty good investment on the Steelers part and I think it's smart to let the guy get back to 100% before they put him in practices or games.

ChronoCross
08-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Tomlin must of seen something good in the kid when he went down and watched him worked out. Plus the limited film on the kid. Something must of stood out, something that says he should be in black and gold. Who knows right now. The best thing is to sit back, wait on the kid to get healthy and give him his shot. Who knows he might just surprise us all.

As long as he does not turn out like Kendrell Bell, Ill be ok..

Jeremy
08-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Tomlin must of seen something good in the kid when he went down and watched him worked out. Plus the limited film on the kid. Something must of stood out, something that says he should be in black and gold. Who knows right now. The best thing is to sit back, wait on the kid to get healthy and give him his shot. Who knows he might just surprise us all.

He was an amazing college linebacker. He has good quickness and a nose for the football. I don't know if he'll be the next Shawne Merriman, but he should be a great linebacker in the 3-4.

Steel Pit
08-13-2007, 04:25 AM
John Harris, WHO CARES? What kind of freaking story is that? The kid is injured you moron. Hell you should have mentioned Wille Parker as well because I haven't seen him do anything but stand on the sideline thus far. Do you hear anyone calling Willie Parker out? Hell No!

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-13-2007, 04:29 AM

NO kidding!!!!...I see where Bell lost his starting job in KC!!!...Thats a shame, with all the potential we saw when he came into this league.

Jeremy
08-13-2007, 04:31 AM
NO kidding!!!!...I see where Bell lost his starting job in KC!!!...Thats a shame, with all the potential we saw when he came into this league.

Defensive Rookie of the Year as a 2nd round pick and now he's a backup. Just goes to show what an injury can do to you in today's NFL.

SteelFist
08-13-2007, 08:45 AM
I can't wait 'til he gets out there and shows us what he can do. He's got the ability to be in on almost every tackle

Steeldude
08-13-2007, 08:53 AM
i won't say timmons is a bust, but he needs to start playing. personally, i didn't really like the pick. to me it looked like the steelers just settled for a LB rather than really looking to see if he would be a huge asset to the team. hopefully the guy works out well for the team.

what really turned me off was when he showed up for his pro day out of shape. how does any athlete show up out of shape on the day he is supposed to impress teams the most?

SteelFist
08-13-2007, 08:58 AM
i won't say timmons is a bust, but he needs to start playing. personally, i didn't really like the pick. to me it looked like the steelers just settled for a LB rather than really looking to see if he would be a huge asset to the team. hopefully the guy works out well for the team.

what really turned me off was when he showed up for his pro day out of shape. how does any athlete show up out of shape on the day he is supposed to impress teams the most?

Out of shape?? I haven't seen that anywhere. LINK?

Livinginthe past
08-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Out of shape?? I haven't seen that anywhere. LINK?

While that stuff works itself out, Pittsburgh coaches and scouts are all over the place attending Pro Days in anticipation of next month's draft. Today, new head coach Mike Tomlin was spotted in Tallahassee. He was interested in Florida State's Lawrence Timmons, one of the best collegiate outside linebackers.

Unfortunately for Timmons, he couldn't improve on his Combine 40-time (he ran a 4.63 and 4.66; he busted out a 4.60 in Indy), and worse, he looked to be out of breath after several drills. This led to agent Drew Rosenhaus to tell Tomlin that his client would "be in shape by minicamp."

Um, I think a bunch of red flags just went up. It's not like Timmons' Pro Day snuck up on him; he's known about it since the Combine. For him to not be in shape is an indictment -- fairly or not -- on his work ethic.

There's no question the Steelers need to add some depth at linebacker, but I think this pretty much assures Timmons won't be that guy. At least not in the first round, anyway. Plus, Pittsburgh should shy away from FSU linebackers; they've had much more success with defensive backs.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/category/steelers/2007/03/15/mike-tomlin-spotted-at-fsu-pro-day/

fansince'76
08-13-2007, 10:54 AM
I can't wait 'til he gets out there and shows us what he can do. He's got the ability to be in on almost every tackle

Agreed - kinda hard for me to label someone a "bust," when I haven't even seen them play.

Atlanta Dan
08-13-2007, 11:03 AM
There are a lot of people out there, and some of this message board, who doubt this kid's ability and think we should have taken a hige reach and drafted Paul Posluzny instead of Timmons. But will tell you that this kid is going to be special once he gets healed up. He's not injury prone like some of the hacks in the Pittsburgh media have claimed him to be. This is a one time thing and he will get over it and be a very good player for the Steelers.

No other team had Timmons as high on their draft board as the Steelers did and Tomlin excused Timmons' substandard performance in drills prior to the draft (which raised conditioning concerns) by saying it is on the field performance that counts.

Even after Timmons posted pedestrian times of 4.63 and 4.71 in the 40 and appeared winded between drills at Florida State's Pro Day, Tomlin came to Timmons' defense.

"The (game) tape is his walking-and-talking resume," Tomlin told the Tallahassee Democrat. "Sometimes people get enamored with workouts and things of that nature. The No. 1 thing is the tape. And his tape is his biggest ally."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_500438.html

Too bad all we still have as of mid-August is Timmons on tape tearing up the ACC, which was won by Wake Forest last year.

Posluzny is not the second coming of Jack Ham but drafting someone at #15 who only started only 1 year at a declining FSU program during a very down yera for the ACC is arguably at least as much a reach as drafting Posluzny would have been.

Hopefully it all will work out but Timmons was Tomlin's decision and so far, so bad.

atlsteelers
08-13-2007, 12:03 PM
my coworker is a FSU season ticket holder and thought the steelers were crazy for drafting this kid so high. but lets hope he is wrong. but i think the comment about him needing to seperate pain from injury is accurate. as far as willie, we know what he can do and he knows the offense. there is a reason nobody worries about veteran players missing time in the preseaon but with rookies you have to worry. but i guess timmons does not have to worry after cashing his nice signing bonus.

SteelFist
08-13-2007, 01:34 PM
While that stuff works itself out, Pittsburgh coaches and scouts are all over the place attending Pro Days in anticipation of next month's draft. Today, new head coach Mike Tomlin was spotted in Tallahassee. He was interested in Florida State's Lawrence Timmons, one of the best collegiate outside linebackers.

Unfortunately for Timmons, he couldn't improve on his Combine 40-time (he ran a 4.63 and 4.66; he busted out a 4.60 in Indy), and worse, he looked to be out of breath after several drills. This led to agent Drew Rosenhaus to tell Tomlin that his client would "be in shape by minicamp."

Um, I think a bunch of red flags just went up. It's not like Timmons' Pro Day snuck up on him; he's known about it since the Combine. For him to not be in shape is an indictment -- fairly or not -- on his work ethic.

There's no question the Steelers need to add some depth at linebacker, but I think this pretty much assures Timmons won't be that guy. At least not in the first round, anyway. Plus, Pittsburgh should shy away from FSU linebackers; they've had much more success with defensive backs.

Thanks for the link. However I question the credibility of the source (Local Orlando FL Newspaper). While it can be true, I didn't hear any news out of the combine about this and I have followed it very closely. NFL Network had the best coverage hands down and there was no mention at all about Timmons stamina let alone whether he was in shape or not.

steelpride12
08-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Tell you what, I trust Tomlin and LeBeau to know when the kid is ready to go. Hell, I'd rather hold a guy out if he has some kind of nagging injury than push him in to some meaningless preseason game or practices that could make the injury worse. While it's true that football players have to know how to play with pain, it's also true that these guys represent a pretty good investment on the Steelers part and I think it's smart to let the guy get back to 100% before they put him in practices or games.

Thats a great point. We need him to rest and recover from his injury before putting him at risk to make anything worse def. only in the preseason.

SCSTILLER
08-13-2007, 02:57 PM
So he didn't have a good pro day! Oh well. Alot of players lost stock in the draft because of pro days and combine times/stats and went on to have great careers. Was I extremely happy with the pick of Timmons? No! But I will not label him a bust until he comes out and performs like that one LB we drafted out of FSU.....what was his name.....Alonzo Jackson!

MasterOfPuppets
08-13-2007, 07:22 PM
all i know is that the poz preseason highlights i've seen on tv have been him looking pretty impressive....:coffee:

delhess
08-13-2007, 09:39 PM
first round draft picks should prove themselves before being excepted by the team. there is nothing wrong w/ a guy standing on the sideline w/ a fire burning in his belly. it's gotta be awfully lonely knowing what you could do, but you don't get a chance to prove it. it will motivate him.

NOTE: if he was in cleveland he could hold out for big money w/out proving anything. now that's a front office that's a disgrace: hang your hopes on your first pick, then overpay him because he's bitter that he slipped in the draft. how could you look at yourself in the mirror???

SteelFist
08-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Postgazette says he has returned to pratice. Great news!

Galax Steeler
08-14-2007, 05:12 AM
I think timmons will be great I just hope the injury don't keep nagging him.

Preacher
08-14-2007, 11:04 AM
all i know is that the poz preseason highlights i've seen on tv have been him looking pretty impressive....:coffee:

Tommy Maddox used to look impressive in preseason as well.

I don't put any stock in preseason highlight reels... until they are the third, fourth game against starters.

yinzer-inseattle
08-14-2007, 07:11 PM
I too trust LeBeau, Butler and Tomlin have made the right choice and at this point see no reason to second guess them. Let's at least wait to see what this guy looks like in a game situation before we write him off or discount his ability.

At the same time, we are very fortunate to have a great second round pick in Woodley. That's a luxury that should help keep the pace for Timmons's return resonable and without haste. Here's to hoping if we all sit back and relax, that those good vibes will make it to LT and help him with his recovery.

:tt02:

83-Steelers-43
08-16-2007, 08:36 PM

Case in point......

Ed Bouchette's daily question
Thursday, August 16, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Question:

With Lawrence Timmons showing nothing so far, and doubtful to make an impact any time soon, how do you feel now about the team passing on Paul Posluszny who had 9 solo tackles and a sack last week and will be their starting MLB. And yes he could play outside in our scheme. Before the draft I believe you said he was too slow and coming off a knee injury. We can't rush the passer period. And please don't tell me Dick LeBeau is holding back because he doesn't want to tip everyone off as to what they want to do in the regular season.

John A. San Felipe, Chicago, Ill.

BOUCHETTE: Nobody said Posluszny was not a good player. Those who cannot play usually are not drafted in the second round. The Steelers, for example, are excited about the play of their own second-rounder, linebacker LaMarr Woodley from Michigan. It wasn't only the Steelers who passed on Posluszny -- everyone in the NFL on the first round failed to draft him. That does not mean they were right -- they obviously were wrong when everyone passed on Jack Ham, drafted in the second round by the Steelers in 1971. It's also a little early to either declare Timmons a bust or Posluszny a future Hall of Famer. Let's at least wait until the first month of the regular season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07228/810008-367.stm