PDA

View Full Version : St. Pierre confident in winning job

83-Steelers-43
08-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Steelers' St. Pierre confident in winning job
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 13, 2007

Brian St. Pierre took a step backward against Green Bay but emerged convinced he can win the third quarterback's job if he proves worthy. St. Pierre is under the impression there will be three QBs on the 53-man roster.

"In talking to coach (Mike) Tomlin, he told me in the spring he believed in having three quarterbacks," St. Pierre said following Saturday night's 13-9 loss to the Packers. "I gotta take him at his word for that. I feel like I've had a good camp, so there's no reason not for me to be here."

St. Pierre completed 8-of-14 attempts, threw for 129 yards and a touchdown and compiled a passer rating of 111.9 on Aug. 5 against New Orleans. He was 10 for 23 for 99 yards and was sacked three times by the Packers and finished with a passer rating of 56.2.

? After allowing three sacks against New Orleans, the Steelers surrendered five to Green Bay. One resulted in a fumble and turnover by starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

"They have some premium edge rushers," Tomlin said of the Packers. "They have a 4-3 defense. They pride themselves on creating pressure with four (pass rushers). And that's probably something our offensive line has not seen at training camp based on the nature of our personnel (and 3-4 scheme). But by no means are we making excuses for that."

Digits

0 - Number of first downs allowed by the Steelers' first-team defense against Green Bay.

1 - Number of sacks for the Steelers in two preseason games (by cornerback William Gay against Green Bay).

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_521884.html

tony hipchest
08-13-2007, 12:25 AM
if we dump him the bengals pick him up.

guaranteed.

Jeremy
08-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Who is his competition again?

MACH1
08-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Its worth keeping him so he doesn't give away the playbook.

ChronoCross
08-13-2007, 01:20 AM
I about fell over in my seat when it said he was confident in winning any job for that matter.. He was so horrible this last game it was unreal. Any half decent QB would of put up 21+points against that defense. But that is were pre season shows who wants the job and who does not, and he sure played like he did not.

Jeremy
08-13-2007, 01:23 AM
I about fell over in my seat when it said he was confident in winning any job for that matter.. He was so horrible this last game it was unreal. Any half decent QB would of put up 21+points against that defense. But that is were pre season shows who wants the job and who does not, and he sure played like he did not.

Once again, who is his competition?

83-Steelers-43
08-13-2007, 01:31 AM
Once again, who is his competition?

Bryan Randall.

Jeremy
08-13-2007, 01:35 AM
Bryan Randall.

Exactly. Unless we trade for another quaterback (Andrew Walter of the Raiders comes to mind) St. Pierre is the best option the Steelers have as their third string quaterback.

The Duke
08-13-2007, 03:50 PM
I hate to say it, but we need that idiot St Pierre, unless we want our playbook copied

ajs8207
08-13-2007, 04:07 PM
If we release him we would just carry 2 QB's

Preacher
08-13-2007, 04:09 PM
I have a feeling that if we have to play a third QB, it will be Ced Wilson. do you REALLY see BSP in a game?

The Duke
08-13-2007, 04:21 PM
I have a feeling that if we have to play a third QB, it will be Ced Wilson. do you REALLY see BSP in a game?

Dude, I can see him screaming our plays at the ravens defense before the snap.

OneForTheToe
08-13-2007, 05:37 PM
As was noted by someone on another thread, I'm not worried about frenchie giving away the playbook. This sort of thing happens all the time. I remember Cleveland or Cinci picking up one of our backups in the late 70's or early 80's. We didn't lose to the Ravens because of frenchie; we lost because we got beat up.

On the other hand, I am in favor of keeping three quarterbacks. I'm hardly going to trust Cedrick Wilson to be a legitimate long term backup. Sure, maybe to close out a game in an absolute emergency. But, what if we lost Ben or Charlie for an extended period of time and the other one goes down for a couple of weeks.?Cedrick Wilson is going to start for a couple of games? Do you really think Cedrick Wilson is more prepared to play qb in the NFL than BSP, after not playing qb for how many years ? Not a chance.

At that point, we would have to search the waiver wire for some scrub who probably isn't any better than frenchie, and knows the offense less. Frenchie will never be a starter in the NFL, but he is capable of making plays if he is prepared properly (some nice throws against the Saints, actually). So, not sure what Tomlin is thinking, but I'd say as a third string qb, Viva La France.

83-Steelers-43
08-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Exactly. Unless we trade for another quaterback (Andrew Walter of the Raiders comes to mind) St. Pierre is the best option the Steelers have as their third string quaterback.

I agree completely.

To be honest, I felt St. Pierre played pretty good against the Saints and looked solid against the Packers. We are talking about a 3rd string QB for Pete's sake. The kid is not taking Roethlisberger's job anytime in the near future.

As I stated in this thread after the Packers game.....http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=277721#post277721, considering that his protection looked like hell during that Packer game, I thought he kept his composure, stood up to the pressure for the most part and his feet looked surprisingly good.

Who our third string QB will be (if we even carry one) is the least of my worries at this point. Eitherway, if we decide to keep St. Pierre I'm not going to start an on-line petition.

Jman
08-13-2007, 06:00 PM
To be honest, I felt St. Pierre played pretty good against the Saints and looked solid against the Packers. We are talking about a 3rd string QB for Pete's sake. The kid is not taking Roethlisberger's job anytime in the near future.

I'd have to agree. For a 3rd string guy, I thought his performance was decent in both games. He showed poise.

stillers4me
08-13-2007, 06:18 PM
I try not to think of even needing a 3rd string QB.

We were very, very lucky the last time we needed one. Couldn't have timed that one better.....our third string QB just happened to be a first round draft pick who had just started his NFL ej-u-kay-shun.....and ended up teaching the vets a thing or two. (and who amongst us watched Ben walk onto the field the first time and didn't say "OMG.......we're doomed!!")

Galax Steeler
08-14-2007, 06:38 AM
I don't really see no need in 3 quarterbacks but like quoted several times he could scream out our playbook.