PDA

View Full Version : Faneca has epilepsy

tony hipchest
08-14-2007, 12:37 AM
i never knew this.

amidst all the "bad" its nice to read a story about the "good".

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_522031.html

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Sweat glistening on his face -- at least the parts where it doesn't look like he forgot to bring a razor to training camp -- Alan Faneca signed autographs and posed for pictures with the people wearing yellow T-shirts that read "Faneca's Fanatics."
The veteran guard got a reminder as to just how important it is for him to talk publicly about living with epilepsy. The kids who consider Faneca a role model if not a hero also provided him with a bittersweet reminder of what he will soon leave behind.

He has been very open about talking about epilepsy and giving hope to those who have it. His daughter, Anabelle, also has epilepsy.

"It means the world for them to have someone (successful) who has the same condition they do," Kathi Finch, the foundation's director of communications, said of the 14 kids with epilepsy who visited camp yesterday. "For him to be very public about it, he's one of the first."

Preacher
08-14-2007, 12:54 AM
i never knew this.

amidst all the "bad" its nice to read a story about the "good".

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_522031.html

Your right... It sure is.

Galax Steeler
08-14-2007, 05:04 AM
I really like faneca I wish we could pay him but that ain't going to happen.

SCSTILLER
08-14-2007, 07:23 AM
I didn't know that about Faneca! Good to hear that he is open about it and doing well! I too wish we could resign Faneca, but it won't happen!

Godfather
08-14-2007, 07:40 AM
The NFL needs to add a Larry Bird rule to the salary cap.

SCSTILLER
08-14-2007, 07:43 AM
The NFL needs to add a Larry Bird rule to the salary cap.

OK Godfather, help me out. What is the Larry Bird rule?

fansince'76
08-14-2007, 07:55 AM
What is the Larry Bird rule?

The "Larry Bird exception" allows NBA teams to exceed the salary cap up to the NBA maximum salary to resign their own FAs. In other words, it pretty much renders the salary cap moot. Bad idea, IMO, especially when the NFL, to my knowledge at least, has no such maximum salary ceiling for individual players.

HometownGal
08-14-2007, 08:39 AM
I knew Faneca's little girl suffers from epilepsy, as there was a story about it on KDKA a year or so ago, but I didn't realize Faneca had the same disease. I'm not real happy with Alan's comments lately, but God bless him for speaking out about it and trying to help others who are afflicted. Kids seem to relate better to an athlete who has the same problems they do.

Preacher
08-14-2007, 10:51 AM
I knew Faneca's little girl suffers from epilepsy, as there was a story about it on KDKA a year or so ago, but I didn't realize Faneca had the same disease. I'm not real happy with Alan's comments lately, but God bless him for speaking out about it and trying to help others who are afflicted. Kids seem to relate better to an athlete who has the same problems they do.

Yep. I agree whole-heartedly. I guess in the end, we should all realize that everyone is just one thing... human. Of course, that also means that humans shouldn't expect exorbitant salar..... Um, nevermind!

OneForTheToe
08-14-2007, 12:21 PM
The "Larry Bird exception" allows NBA teams to exceed the salary cap up to the NBA maximum salary to resign their own FAs. In other words, it pretty much renders the salary cap moot. Bad idea, IMO, especially when the NFL, to my knowledge at least, has no such maximum salary ceiling for individual players.

Agreed ...... it would be a terrible for the Steelers. Plus, it is doubtful, that it would help us keep Faneca. The Rooney's aren?t going to go nuts just because they can. They will always have their own salary cap regardless of what the rest of the league does.

Besides, in the end, the Larry Bird rule would hurt the smaller markets such as the Steelers. It would allow the big market clubs like Dallas and Washington to set the price of the top players in the league. And we all know that Jerry Jones and Mr. Daniel Snyder have no self control, when it comes to the purse strings.

The Larry Bird rule works for the NBA because you can make a run at the title with one or two superstars and bunch of "AL's". See Cleveland for conformation

As for Faneca, that's very impressive that he can be all world with his condition.

fansince'76
08-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Besides, in the end, the Larry Bird rule would hurt the smaller markets such as the Steelers. It would allow the big market clubs like Dallas and Washington to set the price of the top players in the league. And we all know that Jerry Jones and Mr. Daniel Snyder have no self control, when it comes to the purse strings.

Agreed - a soft cap is the same as no cap, at least from where I'm sitting.